The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• You buggers.

FC is awesome. It has commercial appeal because it is that good. It is Hip from start to finish.

That being said, Day For Night is a wicked album. They played So Hard Done By in Kamloops and it was delightful. Nautical Disaster might be my favourite Hip tune (I draw such imagery with those lyrics).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    You buggers.

FC is awesome. It has commercial appeal because it is that good. It is Hip from start to finish.

That being said, Day For Night is a wicked album. They played So Hard Done By in Kamloops and it was delightful. Nautical Disaster might be my favourite Hip tune (I draw such imagery with those lyrics).
    I think that was my hottest ever take. ;)
    The one thing that drives me nuts about Fully Completely: "Courage" and "At the Hundredth Meridian" are basically the same song. They're structured almost identically. And while I loved hearing both of them live, it feels as though the Hip retired having never really figured out how to transition back into the "Meridian" chorus. 
    Also, on a personal note, in 2004 I sang in public for the one and only time; I sang "Wheat Kings," walked off the stage, and ended a 2+ year relationship (which, in retrospect, should've ended about two years earlier). It's a weird association.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • NWOntario said:
    You buggers.

I think that was my hottest ever take. ;)
    The one thing that drives me nuts about Fully Completely: "Courage" and "At the Hundredth Meridian" are basically the same song. They're structured almost identically. And while I loved hearing both of them live, it feels as though the Hip retired having never really figured out how to transition back into the "Meridian" chorus. 
    Also, on a personal note, in 2004 I sang in public for the one and only time; I sang "Wheat Kings," walked off the stage, and ended a 2+ year relationship (which, in retrospect, should've ended about two years earlier). It's a weird association.
    The "weird association' thing is legitimate. Most of the time... songs evoke a oositive memory of some sort. When a song does the opposite... it loses its luster somewhat.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    just found a DFN promo disc that has live versions of fifty mission and pigeon camera in germany and new orleans from another roadside attraction 93. bought it. 

https://www.discogs.com/The-Tragically-Hip-The-Tragically-Hip/release/5475645
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Sweet. There was a mainly acoustic version of Pigeon Camera that is incredible, not sure if that's the one on the disc or not. I think the one I have is different but same time frame so it could be similar in style.
    I am wired and fading...
    jeff ament's favorite songs of 2017 includes Snowflake off Gord's last solo record. 

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2018/02/jeff-aments-favorite-songs-of-2017.html
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

still gutted about Gord. 

there's some controversy (if you can call it that) about a new book that came out called The Never Ending Present - The Story of Gord Downie and The Tragically Hip. Rob Baker (guitar) has stated that he read a few paragraphs and nearly spit his coffee through his nose, and said "don't believe everything you read, folks". The band has always refused participation in, or even doing their own, biography of the band. And that's their right. 

what bugs me is I used to follow this Hip super fan on twitter. she was a good source of Hip info. But then lately I commented on Rob's post saying "that's too bad, I was really looking forward to reading this, now I won't know what's fact and what's fiction". She tore into me about the band not owing us anything, everything in the book can be found online (bullshit-how would you know that if you refuse to read it?). I mean, sometimes I can't fucking stand these so-called superfans. they act as if they are spokespeople for the band themselves. I have had the same shit thrown at me (and others) by a superfan of the Headstones when I asked a simple, non-intrusive question about the departure of their drummer. She goes to every fucking show, nation wide, and it gets under my skin when I see her (she's also a known liar/instigator). 

what makes people think they represent or have some ownership stake in the band simply because they have met them and have nothing in their lives except that one band? I'm not allowed to answer a question simply because they know the answer. reminds of the childish "I have a secret but I'm not telling" playground shit. 

/rant over
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    Some superfans of any band are downright nutzo. Comes with the territory when the activity kind of requires a level of obsession by definition.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Mike Downie posted on facebook that "big things are coming". I would imagine that means unreleased Hip music. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Awesome. I hadn’t heard that! 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Mike Downie posted on facebook that "big things are coming". I would imagine that means unreleased Hip music. 
    Great... as long as it is unreleased stuff and not new stuff with a new singer.  No way they would do that, right?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    brianlux said:
    Great... as long as it is unreleased stuff and not new stuff with a new singer.  No way they would do that, right?
    I can't imagine they would.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    brianlux said:
    no, they've already stated they will never do new stuff with the hip name to it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DukeSpiritDukeSpirit Posts: 278
    brianlux said:
    For Baker, performing without Downie wasn’t an option.

“When I say The Tragically Hip doesn’t exist as a performing unit anymore because a key member is gone, I think [fans] understand that,” he says. “We wouldn’t be The Hip without Gord. We worked together musically, we’ve done various things together on musical fronts, collaborated on projects and you know these guys are my brothers and I love them dearly, but The Hip has played their last time.”

globalnews.ca/news/4313981/the-tragically-hip-talk-life-after-gord-downie-were-all-still-adjusting/amp/
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    They played this live in Ottawa along with Hero’s by Bowie
    I really hope they play it next week in winnipeg. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think they have been playing pretty much the same set every night, so id put money on it.

It was a cool medley of 3 cover songs together

I think they have been playing pretty much the same set every night, so id put money on it.

It was a cool medley of 3 cover songs together

yeah, JB made some comment recently about how it isn't logistically possible for a band like them to change the set every night, so that makes sense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    2 years today. :cry:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,085
    2 years today. :cry:
    Damn what a loss. Still not over it.
    still hoping for something to come along.....
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2 years today. :cry:
    I'm still gutted. 
    Nice Secret Path tribute show in Toronto this past weekend. Lottsa special guests showed up to honor the man.
    I lost it when The Chief talked about Gord and his wish and legacy. So proud.
    I'm really, really hoping for some unreleased music sometime soon. up until the 3 1/2 years between the last two albums, each break has been 2-3 years only between records. and we're at 3 1/2 years right now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I’m just concerned about the quality of said unreleased material. I’m sure there is a bunch of stuff but if it’s all leftover filler from the past albums I’ll pass. 
    I woukd like to see the live vault releases come back.
    I’m just concerned about the quality of said unreleased material. I’m sure there is a bunch of stuff but if it’s all leftover filler from the past albums I’ll pass. 
    I woukd like to see the live vault releases come back.
    I really dig the bonus tracks off IVL and WATS. The stuff I've heard that was unreleased is really good. I mean, have you heard Get Back Again? that is an amazing track. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

last night Big Wreck played 1 and a half Hip songs. a very slow half version of Ahead By A Century, then later on the full song In View. Was really really good. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and just because a track gets left off an album, in my opinion, doesn't mean necessarily it's no good. look at Lost Dogs. as ed said, many times it's just "one of these things is not like the other". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD