Options

The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• Options
    BR2428BR2428 Posts: 120
    edited August 2016
    The Grand Bounce is great. I had a ticket to see him on that tour, but the show got canceled for some reason.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    They played fucking fiddlers green last night in london. Fucking fiddlers green. Are you shitting me?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I almost always listen to a band non-stop leading up to a show. then I take a break after the show. PJ included. not this time. Can't stop listening to the Hip/Gord solo since friday.

You just reminded me that I have never once listened to Gord solo. I don't have any reason as to why not.... I basically just forgot to. I don't even know what to expect. I guess I should give it a whirl!
    Be warned. the first record (coke machine glow) is sort of weird. the second record (battle of the nudes) is REALLY weird. the third record (the grand bounce) is way more accessible. his record with the sadies, whom I don't like on their own, is very good.

I am now regretting passing on seeing him solo on his tour for Grand Bounce.
    I like weird. :)
    Last night i ordered cmg and botn off discogs. Going through cd's a bit later, found cmg! Dammit! Forgot I owned it. Pm me your address and I'll send you my extra copy.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543

They played fucking fiddlers green last night in london. Fucking fiddlers green. Are you shitting me?

They played it at Vancouver 2 as well. It was glorious.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I almost always listen to a band non-stop leading up to a show. then I take a break after the show. PJ included. not this time. Can't stop listening to the Hip/Gord solo since friday.

You just reminded me that I have never once listened to Gord solo. I don't have any reason as to why not.... I basically just forgot to. I don't even know what to expect. I guess I should give it a whirl!
    Be warned. the first record (coke machine glow) is sort of weird. the second record (battle of the nudes) is REALLY weird. the third record (the grand bounce) is way more accessible. his record with the sadies, whom I don't like on their own, is very good.

I am now regretting passing on seeing him solo on his tour for Grand Bounce.
    I like weird. :)
    Last night i ordered cmg and botn off discogs. Going through cd's a bit later, found cmg! Dammit! Forgot I owned it. Pm me your address and I'll send you my extra copy.
    Oh, thanks buddy, very nice of you! But that's okay. I don't play CDs. But I do pay for Spotify, so I can listen to it there. In fact, I will right now (how is the Gord Downie solo vinyl market? Insane or no?).
    I bet someone else here would probably love that CD though!
    (and I just started playing it, and must say I love the intro... reminds me of Daniel Johnston. :) .... and listening further, I am also reminded of Neutral Milk Hotel. Sweet!)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    Going to the last two shows. With seeing PJ at Fenway this past weekend and then the last two Hip shows, I'd say its a pretty great lineup of shows within a month, maybe a year. BTW, I have some floor seats (row 28) and if anyone has some 100 level seats and would like to trade for the Ottawa show.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

They played it at Vancouver 2 as well. It was glorious.
    The hip needs a setlist database like livefootsteps.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    going to Toronto Sunday
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Winnipeg,

01 At The Hundredth Meridian
    02 Pigeon Camera
    03 Courage
    04 Wheat Kings
    05 Machine
    06 Tired As f**k
    07 What Blue
    08 In A World Possessed By The Human Mind
    09 Streets Ahead
    10 The Lookahead
    11 Man Machine Poem
    12 At Transformation
    13 Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
    14 Poets
    15 Bobcaygeon
    16 Membership
    17 The Last Of The Unplucked Gems
    18 Little Bones
    19 The Luxury
    20 Long Time Running
    21 Twist My Arm
    22 Boots Or Hearts
    23 Opiated
    24 New Orleans Is Sinking
    25 Springtime In Vienna
    26 Ahead By A Century
  • Options
    1st of 7 shows. opiated completely shocked me as an opener
    LOVE how the band is hanging around center stage to play/jam
    gord being gord will always be the show. and those lyrics....
    summer killing us not a big fave but actually really enjoyed it on monday
    nashville, so hard done by, gus and something on were highlights BUT the highlight for me was scared
    little bones was on the written setlist but wasn't played.
    2016-08-08 - London, Ontario
    1. Opiated
    2. Blow at High Dough
    3. Boots or Hearts
    4. New Orleans is Sinking
    5. In a World Possessed by the Human Mind
    6. Ocean Next
    7. What Blue
    8. Machine
    9. Summer’s Killing Us
    10. Gus the Polar Bear from Central Park
    11. If New Orleans is Beat
    12. It Can’t Be Nashville Every Night
    13. Grace Too
    14. Scared
    15. So Hard Done By
    16. Daredevil
    17. Something On
    18. Poets
    19. Bobcaygeon
    20. Fireworks

21. Fully Completely
    22. Pigeon Camera
    23. Courage

24. Fiddler’s Green
  • Options
    yeah, the beginning when they are all huddled around like they are playing in someone's living room. very cool. I really wanted to hear Gus in Winnipeg (my nickname since I was a teen-from an Eddie Murphy skit).

and fiddler's green. my god. that song would have had me on the floor weeping like a baby.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2016
    So I have binge listened to all of Gord Downie's solo albums, and I love them! HFD, first, thanks for mentioning it and reminding me that these albums existed. :) Second, I actually don't think any of them are particularly weird. I mean, they are unique in places, but I didn't think any of them were weird to the point that they might turn off some of the less exploratory listeners .... although I suppose that if I'm very happily comparing some of the music to Daniel Johnston, who I love, perhaps my weird metre is on a different setting than a lot of people, haha. ;)
    Anyway, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I like his solo stuff more than I like The Tragically Hip's! image
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

So I have binge listened to all of Gord Downie's solo albums, and I love them! HFD, first, thanks for mentioning it and reminding me that these albums existed. :) Second, I actually don't think any of them are particularly weird. I mean, they are unique in places, but I didn't think any of them were weird to the point that they might turn off some of the less exploratory listeners .... although I suppose that if I'm very happily comparing some of the music to Daniel Johnston, who I love, perhaps my weird metre is on a different setting than a lot of people, haha. ;)
    Anyway, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I like his solo stuff more than I like The Tragically Hip's! image

I meant weird in the context of his music with the Hip. Not weird in general. I found CMG to be quite inaccessible, but I also listened to it for the first time when I was still just a "radio" listener. But it has grown on me. I really dig the Grand Bounce. I can't wait to get BOTN in the mail.

And you're welcome!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

I meant weird in the context of his music with the Hip. Not weird in general. I found CMG to be quite inaccessible, but I also listened to it for the first time when I was still just a "radio" listener. But it has grown on me. I really dig the Grand Bounce. I can't wait to get BOTN in the mail.

And you're welcome!
    Oh I see.
    I love every single album from start to finish! I am sad to see that only And The Conquering Sun is on vinyl though (as far as I can tell from a quick search anyway. Edit: The Grand Bounce is too actually. Not sure how easy it is to find though. I think not at all. There isn't even anything on sale on discogs).
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 692
    Tickets still popping up for the Toronto shows - had a Friday Toronto ticket pop up on TM today.
  • Options
    another great show on the tour.
    like london another complete shocker for an opening song choice
    loving machine more and more. toronto # 4 and flamenco and 50mc were the highlights. but every song is a winner.
    first i thought the slower more atmospheric songs would be the ones that would make the water flow but last night it ended up being 50MC. mid song caught me reflecting on how great that song is and what it means to toronto/canada and then thinking again that this is the greatest live rock moment ever and then thinking oh no this might be the last time i ever see this :(

2016-08-10 - Toronto, Ontario
    01 The Luxury
    02 Little Bones
    03 Fiddler's Green
    04 Three Pistols
    05 In A World Possessed By The Human Mind
    06 Tired As F**k
    07 What Blue
    08 Machine
    09 My Music At Work
    10 Lake Fever
    11 Toronto #4
    12 Puttin' Down
    13 Gift Shop
    14 Springtime In Vienna
    15 Flamenco
    16 Ahead By A Century
    17 Fully Completely
    18 At The Hundredth Meridian
    19 Wheat Kings
    20 50 Mission Cap
    -
    21 Grace, Too
    22 So Hard Done By
    23 Nautical Disaster
    -
    24 Bobcaygeon
    25 Poets
  • Options

loving machine more and more. toronto # 4 and flamenco and 50mc were the highlights. but every song is a winner.
    first i thought the slower more atmospheric songs would be the ones that would make the water flow but last night it ended up being 50MC. mid song caught me reflecting on how great that song is and what it means to toronto/canada and then thinking again that this is the greatest live rock moment ever and then thinking oh no this might be the last time i ever see this :(

01 The Luxury
    02 Little Bones
    03 Fiddler's Green
    04 Three Pistols
    06 Tired As F**k
    07 What Blue
    08 Machine
    09 My Music At Work
    10 Lake Fever
    11 Toronto #4
    12 Puttin' Down
    13 Gift Shop
    14 Springtime In Vienna
    15 Flamenco
    16 Ahead By A Century
    17 Fully Completely
    19 Wheat Kings
    20 50 Mission Cap
    -
    21 Grace, Too
    22 So Hard Done By
    23 Nautical Disaster
    -
    24 Bobcaygeon
    25 Poets

This is the setlist I needed to see.

Awesome.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    On the Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo and a shared legacy
    classic eagles story...
    http://www.macleans.ca/culture/jim-cuddy-celebrates-the-tragically-hip/
  • Options

On the Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo and a shared legacy
    classic eagles story...
    http://www.macleans.ca/culture/jim-cuddy-celebrates-the-tragically-hip/

read that last night. pretentious assholes.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Finally Nautical Disaster!
    Killer list in Toronto!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    chittychitty Posts: 577
    Nautical disaster. Was only thing missing for me from two Vancouver shows.
    Hope to hear it on the cbc broadcast
    Reading that Toronto crowd was off the charts loud. Well done
  • Options
    I was shocked to look back at past Hip setlists of shows I've attended and I've actually heard Fiddler's Green. DAMN! It was during the World Container tour. Surprised I don't remember that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I was shocked to look back at past Hip setlists of shows I've attended and I've actually heard Fiddler's Green. DAMN! It was during the World Container tour. Surprised I don't remember that.

I do this all the time. And I sit and think to myself, "Holy crap. I'm losing my gawddamn mind."

Maybe I'm not. If it's happening to you as well... maybe that's normal for old crappers like us!
  • Options

I do this all the time. And I sit and think to myself, "Holy crap. I'm losing my gawddamn mind."

Maybe I'm not. If it's happening to you as well... maybe that's normal for old crappers like us!
    I think it also may have to do with not really paying attention at the time to what they played or never played for other shows other than what I was attending. I had no idea until recently that there was 15 years where they didn't play that song.

I also tend to be horrible at recalling what a band played, even later on that night. People will ask me "how was the show?". I say "awesome!". "did they play (this)?". :i_dunno:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Can someone let me know when Tix are re-released for Fri or sun? I've checked 100 times and notta!
  • Options
    u have a very slight chance a the box office RL...i saw some tickets released for london at about 7pm

here's a new article with some great link's for/on gord
    i didn't know about wearing the grey to the shows in support of brain cancer research

Gord Downie's chief oncologist, longtime Tragically Hip fan, a mainstay on tour
    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/arts/gord-downie-james-perry-hip-1.3717247
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430

01 The Luxury
    02 Little Bones
    03 Fiddler's Green
    04 Three Pistols
    06 Tired As F**k
    07 What Blue
    08 Machine
    09 My Music At Work
    10 Lake Fever
    11 Toronto #4
    12 Puttin' Down
    13 Gift Shop
    14 Springtime In Vienna
    15 Flamenco
    16 Ahead By A Century
    17 Fully Completely
    19 Wheat Kings
    20 50 Mission Cap
    -
    21 Grace, Too
    22 So Hard Done By
    23 Nautical Disaster
    -
    24 Bobcaygeon
    25 Poets

Wow, best setlist of the tour IMO
  • Options
    just like pearl jam the shows keep getting better!
    feeling blessed to be a part of this. so much respect for gord. it's a celebration, no question about it
    gd top of his game last night, in all his greatness and uniqueness. there is no one like him
    the metallic suits, the hats and those feathers!
    baker having fun and playing fantastic. smiles, hugs and kisses
    it's a beautiful thing.
    bought $5 tragically hip rolling papers and a couple of stickers
    like all bands now. the money is in the merch. mega lines all night long
    highlight every song and it's a good life(such a great video) and throwing off glass
    ending the show with abac with these words "and disappointing you is getting me down "
    wow

Fri Aug 12, 2016
    Toronto, Ontario
    01 Courage
    02 Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
    03 Eldorado
    04 At The Hundredth Meridian
    06 In Sarnia
    07 What Blue
    08 Machine
    09 The Dire Wolf
    10 Use It Up
    11 It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
    12 Throwing Off Glass
    13 Grace, Too
    14 Greasy Jungle
    15 Scared
    16 Nautical Disaster
    17 Membership
    18 Bobcaygeon
    19 Something On
    20 Fireworks
    -
    21 New Orleans Is Sinking
    22 Boots Or Hearts
    23 Blow At HIgh Dough
    -
    24 Gift Shop
    25 Ahead By A Century
  • Options
    I tell this story, my Tragically Hip story, every PJ Board since 1998 or so, and i don't think i've told it on this board, and i don't think anyone cares,lol.. but eh... i like retelling it.

It's summer 1996...The Black Crowes are coming to town and, well, it's 1996--you have to camp out for tix!

Now I live a solid 45-60 minutes west of Detroit, depending on how fast you drive. There are about a dozen or so of us in line at our ticketmaster out in the suburbs. They're running a ticket lottery for placement for this show cause, you know, the Crowes sell out fast. Well the guy who wins...is a dude from Toronto, who is in town for a wedding.

He's not here for Crowes tickets, no. He starts spinning some tale of a band called the Tragically Hip...how huge they are in Canada. He tells us they are lined around Maple Leaf Gardens twice just for wristbands for a chance at tickets to their show there.

He's not sure he can get Hip tickets here in Michigan for this. The people who at the store aren't sure either. So we wait. And as we wait, he evangelizes how great they are for the half hour between the lottery draw and tix going on sale. 30 minutes might not seem like a lot..but try talking for 30 minutes straight on one subject and see how much you can actually convey in that time!

10am hits..he's first in line...and the s.o.b. jumps all the wristband people in Toronto and gets tickets,lol. Good on him. Me? we get tickets, the Crowes....usually awesome...Chris seemed a bit too fucked up that show, but thats here nor there for this thread.

Fast forward to the point of this thread...the Hip. I'm at a record store a couple weeks later...and all this dude's talking them up has me in front of their albums at the store. One problem---I don't know which to buy! So....i go with the album that has the little sticker on it with the most "hit songs included"....Fully Completely.

So i pop it into my CD player...and briefly look through the liner notes and do you want to know my first thought. My first honest-to-God reaction?

They have TWO guys named Gord?? wtf, Canada....

I put it in...I listen. I'm not impressed. You know how it is. I'm sure this has happened to all of you with some/many bands over the years. But this album...just sounded bare, instrumentally, i don't know. It still does, really.

But i was younger...like 19 at the time. And NHL '97 came out soon on the PS1. And i played a season of it. And Fully Completely was put in my rotation while i was playing it. And it started getting more and more play.

And i found out...i really like that album. Like, really really like it.

Courage-great! Looking for a place to happen...great! Hundreth meridian--don't know who Ry Cooder or Rye Cooper is, but that song is great and he could sing MY eulogy! Locked in the Trunk.....that was a "sticker song," featured on it.... kinda goofy, all those "let me outs!" but fun! The title track is great....(the whole album is, i know i skipped a couple and will probably again)...but my favoirte then..and probably now still is Fifty Mission Cap. Why? I don't know! It sounds like an amaaaaaazing hockey story. And if you/I go back to when this took place... 1996-97... my Detroit team...well, that was magical era for Hockey. Hey, Toronto.... You're going to win one again. It's going to be so great when you do, too. I'll be happy for you. Even though we were mortal enemies the last time we were in the same conference....I dunno..i'm older now. We've had some titles, they're great. I hope you get to feel that feeling!

Wheat Kings....ehhh-- in my head, this feels like it's probably a hit radio song...i just never could get into it. It's probably my one skip if i skip a song, though i probably wouldn't. And El Dorado was super catchy last track.

Bottom line.. this album grew on me big. i still listen to it a few times a year. I've tried a few other albums...they don't stick. I think Fully Completely was a time and place for me, even if it was 4 years after it's release, lol. But thats ok! I put this on at work sometimes and people are like "what the heck...." and i'm like, "hey, i like this!"

But now...man, i heard the news on the one Gord and that is a...yeah. His attitude, though?? Like, basically, "Fuck it, lets go tour once more!" How can that not give you goosebumps? I can't imagine the range of emotions going through the fanbase at these shows. Like, if this were Pearl Jam and any of their members...i'd probably be in tears for the entirety of the show.

But yeah...I'm a total casual united states fan, but dammit, that one album has given me 100s of playthroughs overs 20 years and God bless The Hip for it.

• Options

I tell this story, my Tragically Hip story, every PJ Board since 1998 or so, and i don't think i've told it on this board, and i don't think anyone cares,lol.. but eh... i like retelling it.

It's summer 1996...The Black Crowes are coming to town and, well, it's 1996--you have to camp out for tix!

Now I live a solid 45-60 minutes west of Detroit, depending on how fast you drive. There are about a dozen or so of us in line at our ticketmaster out in the suburbs. They're running a ticket lottery for placement for this show cause, you know, the Crowes sell out fast. Well the guy who wins...is a dude from Toronto, who is in town for a wedding.

He's not here for Crowes tickets, no. He starts spinning some tale of a band called the Tragically Hip...how huge they are in Canada. He tells us they are lined around Maple Leaf Gardens twice just for wristbands for a chance at tickets to their show there.

He's not sure he can get Hip tickets here in Michigan for this. The people who at the store aren't sure either. So we wait. And as we wait, he evangelizes how great they are for the half hour between the lottery draw and tix going on sale. 30 minutes might not seem like a lot..but try talking for 30 minutes straight on one subject and see how much you can actually convey in that time!

10am hits..he's first in line...and the s.o.b. jumps all the wristband people in Toronto and gets tickets,lol. Good on him. Me? we get tickets, the Crowes....usually awesome...Chris seemed a bit too fucked up that show, but thats here nor there for this thread.

Fast forward to the point of this thread...the Hip. I'm at a record store a couple weeks later...and all this dude's talking them up has me in front of their albums at the store. One problem---I don't know which to buy! So....i go with the album that has the little sticker on it with the most "hit songs included"....Fully Completely.

So i pop it into my CD player...and briefly look through the liner notes and do you want to know my first thought. My first honest-to-God reaction?

They have TWO guys named Gord?? wtf, Canada....

I put it in...I listen. I'm not impressed. You know how it is. I'm sure this has happened to all of you with some/many bands over the years. But this album...just sounded bare, instrumentally, i don't know. It still does, really.

But i was younger...like 19 at the time. And NHL '97 came out soon on the PS1. And i played a season of it. And Fully Completely was put in my rotation while i was playing it. And it started getting more and more play.

And i found out...i really like that album. Like, really really like it.

Courage-great! Looking for a place to happen...great! Hundreth meridian--don't know who Ry Cooder or Rye Cooper is, but that song is great and he could sing MY eulogy! Locked in the Trunk.....that was a "sticker song," featured on it.... kinda goofy, all those "let me outs!" but fun! The title track is great....(the whole album is, i know i skipped a couple and will probably again)...but my favoirte then..and probably now still is Fifty Mission Cap. Why? I don't know! It sounds like an amaaaaaazing hockey story. And if you/I go back to when this took place... 1996-97... my Detroit team...well, that was magical era for Hockey. Hey, Toronto.... You're going to win one again. It's going to be so great when you do, too. I'll be happy for you. Even though we were mortal enemies the last time we were in the same conference....I dunno..i'm older now. We've had some titles, they're great. I hope you get to feel that feeling!

Wheat Kings....ehhh-- in my head, this feels like it's probably a hit radio song...i just never could get into it. It's probably my one skip if i skip a song, though i probably wouldn't. And El Dorado was super catchy last track.

Bottom line.. this album grew on me big. i still listen to it a few times a year. I've tried a few other albums...they don't stick. I think Fully Completely was a time and place for me, even if it was 4 years after it's release, lol. But thats ok! I put this on at work sometimes and people are like "what the heck...." and i'm like, "hey, i like this!"

But now...man, i heard the news on the one Gord and that is a...yeah. His attitude, though?? Like, basically, "Fuck it, lets go tour once more!" How can that not give you goosebumps? I can't imagine the range of emotions going through the fanbase at these shows. Like, if this were Pearl Jam and any of their members...i'd probably be in tears for the entirety of the show.

But yeah...I'm a total casual united states fan, but dammit, that one album has given me 100s of playthroughs overs 20 years and God bless The Hip for it.

Cool.

The Hip is an acquired taste, but once you dig them... they're top shelf.