digital download...or actual CD?

13»

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    I understand what you're saying, but with all due respect you might want to kind of brace yourself for where things are headed. I don't know that hard media have much more of a shelf life.

And I personally think it's great. All I really miss out on by getting an album via Itunes is a clear jewel case.

oh i know and i realize...and i am not anti-technology, far from it. however, i am simply hoping that my favorite band still chooses to make physical CDs available, first and foremost, that's all. obviously, if all you think you are missing out on is a 'clear jewel case' you and i do not see...nor hear...the albums, the artwork, etc, in the same way. i find there is much more to it.

i know things are heading in that direction, and sure....there is a lot of good, easy access, etc.....but it's also sad to see some of the goo things of the past fall by the wayside as well...........

norm - he wasn't saying band nearing their end.....he was saying companies are nearing the end of manufacturing, transporting, and selling 1,000,000 physical CDs for a band ....... and i do agree. i don't like it, but i agree that the future of music will be vastly different.

I don't even much care for artwork, I just like having the CD's on my shelf. It's the same thing with books for me... I'm not keen on the kindle. I like have a stack of something to browse through. When I want to listen to something, I scan my cd rack... it's way more fun and satisfying than scrolling through an itunes list. Or it's fun to visit friends and check out their books or cd's and start conversation that way. All this is lost when everything is in a generic and impersonal format on a computer. :(

well i do care about the artwork and all else.....but i 100% agree with your statement otherwise! i love, love, love....all my CDs on the shelf, DVDs, and books, books, books! and i love seeing/perusing them in others' households too......get to 'know' so much about someone.....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I don't even much care for artwork, I just like having the CD's on my shelf. It's the same thing with books for me... I'm not keen on the kindle. I like have a stack of something to browse through. When I want to listen to something, I scan my cd rack... it's way more fun and satisfying than scrolling through an itunes list. Or it's fun to visit friends and check out their books or cd's and start conversation that way. All this is lost when everything is in a generic and impersonal format on a computer. :(

i thought about this a while back...back in the pre-digital days, i loved to sit and stare at my cd's on the shelf and make mix tapes...i don't do that anymore...i can't even be bothered to make playlists in itunes... :(
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    That's the bad thing about the Internet, soon there won't be anymore newspapers either. :cry:
    We're gonna have to read articles with annoying pop-up ads on the screen. Prints have their own ad sections.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/d ... cdrack.jpg

like a CD amongst the many on the shelf............ ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I prefer a tangible product as well. Call me old school. Although I wouldn't mind a package of CD and download.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,383
    IM real old school bring on the early vinyl release!!!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    Doesn't the recording of music digitally negate the release of music on a vinyl medium? Who uses tape anymore? :?
  • Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    whgarrett wrote:
    Doesn't the recording of music digitally negate the release of music on a vinyl medium? Who uses tape anymore? :?

What are you talking about? Pearl Jam has always recorded on tape and still does.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    whgarrett wrote:

What are you talking about? Pearl Jam has always recorded on tape and still does.

Somebody informed me that S/T was recorded to protools. I KNOW everything before that was 2"

Also, Tool, White Stripes, RHCP record in the glory of analog, hence their great sounding vinyl
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    I remember back in the 90s when mp3's started to catch on, and albums started to leak weeks before release that I thought it was so cool to have the album early.

Then it became a habit. So I suppose of pearl jam made a download code prior to release I could use it (if it was free with a cd/vinyl purchase), but if it came out on the release date or after, I'd probably have a copy already, which would tide me over 'til i get my cd and vinyl.
    I prefer a tangible product as well. Call me old school. Although I wouldn't mind a package of CD and download.

:ugeek:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/dreamncolor/cdrack.jpg

I used to have maybe twice that many cd's, but after the last nightmare I endured in moving to a new apartment, I tried to downgrade my cd collection a bit... those damn things are heavy in boxes! I still have over 300 though... first thing I'm going to do when I get my new place is get a nice new cd rack, hehe.
    DewieCox wrote:
    whgarrett wrote:

Somebody informed me that S/T was recorded to protools. I KNOW everything before that was 2"

Also, Tool, White Stripes, RHCP record in the glory of analog, hence their great sounding vinyl

Interesting. That album always sounded awful to me in terms of sound... way too loud and bright. Gave me a headache to listen. I always just figured it was a producer/mixer thing. I have to hope that digital recording doesn't HAVE to sound that bad.
    norm wrote:

i thought about this a while back...back in the pre-digital days, i loved to sit and stare at my cd's on the shelf and make mix tapes...i don't do that anymore...i can't even be bothered to make playlists in itunes... :(

Exactly. Why would you? If you want to hear a song, you can just click on it or scroll to it on your ipod in 3 seconds. No reason to bother with trying to arrange a playlist or mix...

I used to have maybe twice that many cd's, but after the last nightmare I endured in moving to a new apartment, I tried to downgrade my cd collection a bit... those damn things are heavy in boxes! I still have over 300 though... first thing I'm going to do when I get my new place is get a nice new cd rack, hehe.

while i haven't counted in awhile...and that is an older pic, the rack is pretty much filled and i have more CD storage elsewhere......we probably have about 800 if i had to guess. maybe 850. the rack holds 750. and they ARE fucking heavy....so are books and DVDs! but i LOVE them all, we'll never part with em. i do still have some vinyl, and even some cassettes, from my youth....tho stored away and never played. however, we're in a house and outside of unforseen changes in life, we'll probably live here til we die.... :P

i'd REALLY love a CD rack with glass doors, keep em dust-free. just not many good looking choices out there for a large collection, and it's simply not high on my list of priorities of things to spend $$$ on at the moment....perhaps one day......

i simply *heart* my CDs. and pearl jam is by far my largest collection of one band.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    VINYL
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

while i haven't counted in awhile...and that is an older pic, the rack is pretty much filled and i have more CD storage elsewhere......we probably have about 800 if i had to guess. maybe 850. the rack holds 750. and they ARE fucking heavy....so are books and DVDs! but i LOVE them all, we'll never part with em. i do still have some vinyl, and even some cassettes, from my youth....tho stored away and never played. however, we're in a house and outside of unforseen changes in life, we'll probably live here til we die.... :P

i'd REALLY love a CD rack with glass doors, keep em dust-free. just not many good looking choices out there for a large collection, and it's simply not high on my list of priorities of things to spend $$$ on at the moment....perhaps one day......

i simply *heart* my CDs. and pearl jam is by far my largest collection of one band.

Yeah, I do have some regrets about the cd's and books I've let go over the last few years. I started keeping a list actually and figure once I get a real, solid income and a house/apartment I intend to hang onto for a while, I'll start reacquiring some of them ;) Then, next time I move, I'm hiring some fucking movers!
    DewieCox wrote:

Interesting. That album always sounded awful to me in terms of sound... way too loud and bright. Gave me a headache to listen. I always just figured it was a producer/mixer thing. I have to hope that digital recording doesn't HAVE to sound that bad.

The S/T vinyl sounds alot better than the cd, which is definitely brickwalled, so unless you listen to vinyl it is a producer/mixer thing.
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    i want all three...DL, CD, and vinyl...I don't care what order they come in...totally fine getting the DL first...

I have the exact same approach, which seems to work well as typically the vinyl have the same album art (only bigger) - and sometime better, and you still get to hold something "physical"
    DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

The S/T vinyl sounds alot better than the cd, which is definitely brickwalled, so unless you listen to vinyl it is a producer/mixer thing.

What is brick-walled? I don't own a record player and the expense and effort of totally redoing my music collection in vinyl deters me from ever making the switch. By producer/mixer thing, you mean it is possible to record digitally and not have it sound like shit right? Because I don't think analog is going to last much longer and I truly hope I don't have to be resigned to the fact that all music in the future will sound as grating as s/t did.
    It is most definitely possible to have digital recordings sound good. It's all in how they are mastered.

Brickwalled>> they slather compression over the whole track after it's finished to raise the volume-- It kills dynamics-- also gives them an all around poopy quality, and adds distortion all over the place.

The sad thing is, there is no reason for S/T to sound like it does. I really dig some of the tunes on S/T, but the cd sounds crappy. Since I've made the switch to vinyl, it's really starting to grow on me.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I used to have maybe twice that many cd's, but after the last nightmare I endured in moving to a new apartment, I tried to downgrade my cd collection a bit... those damn things are heavy in boxes...

For the future you should consider going to a local music store and seeing if they have any spare boxes lying around. CD's (in case you aren't aware) are traditionally shipped in 30 count boxes which are very manageable to carry and allow you to keep everything in order for when it's time to unpack. Normally they are just thrown out and I'd bet they wouldn't have any problem if you wanted to take some off their hands.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    What is brick-walled? I don't own a record player and the expense and effort of totally redoing my music collection in vinyl deters me from ever making the switch. By producer/mixer thing, you mean it is possible to record digitally and not have it sound like shit right? Because I don't think analog is going to last much longer and I truly hope I don't have to be resigned to the fact that all music in the future will sound as grating as s/t did.

This thread has some good links and info about the process that results in music becoming "brickwalled."

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94732&p=2219628&hilit=loudness+wars#p2219628
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    DewieCox wrote:
    It is most definitely possible to have digital recordings sound good. It's all in how they are mastered.

Brickwalled>> they slather compression over the whole track after it's finished to raise the volume-- It kills dynamics-- also gives them an all around poopy quality, and adds distortion all over the place.

The sad thing is, there is no reason for S/T to sound like it does. I really dig some of the tunes on S/T, but the cd sounds crappy. Since I've made the switch to vinyl, it's really starting to grow on me.

this made me laugh.
    is that a technical term?
    :mrgreen:

ya know...i know that vinyl is meant to be more full, richer, warmer....and i may even agree....until the first skip, pop, or hiss. :evil: that's always been my issue with vinyl. i did take care of my records, but that shit always managed to happen in any case. that's why cassette tapes - gawd i am dating myself - seemed so cool when they first came out! of course, they too had their own annoying limitations. i think we've all had tapes eaten. :evil: :evil: :evil: of course, CDs too can develope skips, are more compressed.....but i found my vinyl developed skips with far greater frequency than my CDs ever do.....and CDs are just so damn portable. sure, know there is mp3 players, and i DO love on ipod....but yes, i find the sound quality IS definitely more noticably suffering there. i still use it of course.....yes, i guess we learn to accept limitations for ease/portability....just for me.....CDs seem the best happy medium. and hey, more power to everyone and their preferences......just sharing my pov. i have no nostalgia for the vinyl of my youth...i *heart* CDs.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

DewieCox wrote:

Ah, gotcha. I've heard all about compression and the loudness wars, just hadn't heard the term brickwalled before.
    HeavyHands wrote:
    I used to have maybe twice that many cd's, but after the last nightmare I endured in moving to a new apartment, I tried to downgrade my cd collection a bit... those damn things are heavy in boxes...

For the future you should consider going to a local music store and seeing if they have any spare boxes lying around. CD's (in case you aren't aware) are traditionally shipped in 30 count boxes which are very manageable to carry and allow you to keep everything in order for when it's time to unpack. Normally they are just thrown out and I'd bet they wouldn't have any problem if you wanted to take some off their hands.

Undoubtedly, but then I have to carry 10 heavy boxes out... that's the problem ;) After the bed, dresser, etc... 6 boxes of cd's begs the question of "do I really listen to all these? Really?" This time around I got them all into one... but it is a HUGE box!

And like I said, next time I'm going to hire movers. My gf and I have only ever had one fight... and it was the day we moved out of our old apartment, hehe. It was a nightmare!
    Undoubtedly, but then I have to carry 10 heavy boxes out... that's the problem ;) After the bed, dresser, etc... 6 boxes of cd's begs the question of "do I really listen to all these? Really?" This time around I got them all into one... but it is a HUGE box!

And like I said, next time I'm going to hire movers. My gf and I have only ever had one fight... and it was the day we moved out of our old apartment, hehe. It was a nightmare!

It's definitely worth your $ to go with movers. I went that route last time and don't regret it one bit. I didn't let them move my music though. I insist on doing it myself. I had 37 30 count boxes. I don't need to spring for that many jewel cases in case a mover gets careless.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,156
    hmm .. i would buy the supreme edition!

flac download + cd + vinyl ... + video dvd package ;)
    HeavyHands wrote:

It's definitely worth your $ to go with movers. I went that route last time and don't regret it one bit. I didn't let them move my music though. I insist on doing it myself. I had 37 30 count boxes. I don't need to spring for that many jewel cases in case a mover gets careless.

Hehe, I fit over 300 cd's into one box ;)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    cd-vinyl
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”