digital download...or actual CD?

Comments

• Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Both please- if you buy the CD you get a digital code with it

Definitely CD but I like this idea
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    i still love cds, well i used to buy only vinyl, til it almost died out...

i personally dont like "paying" for a digital download of any kind...

thats just me, if its out first like that, i will wait for what comes next
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    CD & Vinyl.

I'm old school.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    i want the CD, i want the process...i want the full experience.

i fully understand and appreciate this...however...for me, this process doesn't need to be the first way i listen to new music....example, the new u2 was leaked a week before the actual release...i downloaded it and listened to it endlessly....then the actual release arrived and then i sat down and did the "ritual"....to me, it was just as satisfying :D
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    When Avacado came out 3 years ago, if you pre-ordered through 10c, and it didn't arrive til after the release date you could download it for free. I got mine the Fri, or Sat. before so I didn't have to. I would think this is what they will do again, but who knows?????
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Screw the Download!!

I want the vinyl!!

I'm neither impressed with the sound quality of digital downloads, or the listening experience that goes with it.

Nothing beats sitting there on your favorite chair with your headphones on, listening to the new album while drinking a glass of wine and doing a "J".

It's like eating a big bowl of Captain Crunch and reading the back of the cereal box.

It's just a grand celebration of music and ones love for it.

By all means, listen to the album which ever way you choose.

But I definately know what I'll be doing when this new Pearl Jam album goodness drops.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    If you get a cd, what would the point of getting a download code? Won't it take about 30 seconds to rip from the cd, and you'd have any lossless options that you'd want.

Make sure to toss a cd or dl code in with the vinyl though.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,566
    DewieCox wrote:
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Neither>>>>>>>>>>>VINYL

Are you saying CD/Download "is way greater than" vinyl, or you want neither, youd rather have vinyl?

They're arrows, gimme that wax.

Same here. I prefer the record.

Vinyl>DL

:)
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    norm wrote:

i fully understand and appreciate this...however...for me, this process doesn't need to be the first way i listen to new music....example, the new u2 was leaked a week before the actual release...i downloaded it and listened to it endlessly....then the actual release arrived and then i sat down and did the "ritual"....to me, it was just as satisfying :D

we all have our process.
    not saying one way is the only right way, only sharing mine...and my desires. i don't like leaks, i never listen to em. i really should be a vinyl purist snob the way i am :lol: ....but i'm not. i am a purist about the music tho. i want to hear it as it really should be heard for the first time. that's what i like to do most with new music. i don't like leaked music, i don't like bootleg DVDs, etc....i want it to be as it should be, and i want the complete package. obviously others don't need it to be exactly as i prefer. and sure lots of things are 'just as satisfying'...but really...when offered the choice, one will always choose one over another as the absolute best preference. ;) :P :D just sayin'........ :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    norm wrote:

we all have our process.
    not saying one way is the only right way, only sharing mine...and my desires. i don't like leaks, i never listen to em. i really should be a vinyl purist snob the way i am :lol: ....but i'm not. i am a purist about the music tho. i want to hear it as it really should be heard for the first time. that's what i like to do most with new music. i don't like leaked music, i don't like bootleg DVDs, etc....i want it to be as it should be, and i want the complete package. obviously others don't need it to be exactly as i prefer. and sure lots of things are 'just as satisfying'...but really...when offered the choice, one will always choose one over another as the absolute best preference. ;) :P :D just sayin'........ :mrgreen:

like i said i get it...i miss the days of going to record stores and flipping through the vinyl but in the end, for me, it's about the music...modern technology has given us the chance to hear new music almost immediately and if it's one of my favorite artists i want to hear that new music as soon as i can...for me, it doesn't take away from doing the "ritual" at a latter time :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

we all have our process.

like i said i get it...i miss the days of going to record stores and flipping through the vinyl but in the end, for me, it's about the music...modern technology has given us the chance to hear new music almost immediately and if it's one of my favorite artists i want to hear that new music as soon as i can...for me, it doesn't take away from doing the "ritual" at a latter time :mrgreen:

*chalks up norm as another instant gratification fan*
    ;)
    duly noted........ :mrgreen:
    i too *get* the other perspective....it's just not for me. and i don't care if shit gets leaked and people listen, etc, etc.....i just don't want the album actually released as a DL FIRST, that's all. i want an actual CD release to happen first. all the techie BS that can and does occur....enjoy! :lol:

maybe it's a male/female thing.....did you want your 'first time' to be a quickie in the back seat, or a full session? you know where my option lies....... 8-) and i kid, i kid....all in jest....b/c i see many of the men weighing in that they want their bump and grind...errrrrr....their first listen...to be a CD or vinyl, what true romantics! :mrgreen:
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    i just don't want the album actually released as a DL FIRST, that's all. i want an actul CD release to happen first. all the techie BC that can and does occur....enjoy! :lol:

me too... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    i just don't want the album actually released as a DL FIRST, that's all. i want an actul CD release to happen first. all the techie BC that can and does occur....enjoy! :lol:

me too... :mrgreen:

well alrighty then! :lol:

actul..........BC? wtf do i type sometimes? :?
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    tkepearljamntkepearljamn Posts: 581
    Just give me the vinyl and a digital copy... I have 1000 cd's and don't listen to any of them any more...
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    Just give me the vinyl and a digital copy... I have 1000 cd's and don't listen to any of them any more...

but the real question is...what do you want FIRST?
    do you want the digital version to come out.....then wait on getting the vinyl? does it matter at all to you what your 'first listening' experience of the full album is like, what medium? that's where it all lies as a question for me.........
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    I don't have a cd player at home so what I do is usually download something and bang it straight on my ipod where I have a dock and can listen to it there or via the headphones. When I download, I download up-and-coming bands or bands I don't mind. I downloaded a band called Twisted Wheel the other day for £8.99 and it came with seven live tracks, seven live videos and three promotional videos so you can't beat that value.

In my flat there's not enough room to swing a mouse let alone a cat so there's not much space for CDs, although I have bought about ten in the last year from artists I really like.

I will always buy the CD though for the artwork. PJ's artwork in their CD's is usually excellent and worth it.

I hear people talking about Santa Cruz. Because my record player, well my dad's record player is 200 miles away, I don't know if I will ever hear it! :cry:
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,323
    If the band decides to put it out digitally at first and you don't want to hear it that way, you can wait for your CD or vinyl.

I just want to hear it ASAP, and I doubt I'm alone there.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    icemanap wrote:
    I don't have a cd player at home so what I do is usually download something and bang it straight on my ipod where I have a dock and can listen to it there or via the headphones. When I download, I download up-and-coming bands or bands I don't mind. I downloaded a band called Twisted Wheel the other day for £8.99 and it came with seven live tracks, seven live videos and three promotional videos so you can't beat that value.

In my flat there's not enough room to swing a mouse let alone a cat so there's not much space for CDs, although I have bought about ten in the last year from artists I really like.

I will always buy the CD though for the artwork. PJ's artwork in their CD's is usually excellent and worth it.

I hear people talking about Santa Cruz. Because my record player, well my dad's record player is 200 miles away, I don't know if I will ever hear it! :cry:

you will hear it, just probably not on the original vinyl. i am the same way. all my holiday singles remain unplayed, but i do have all of the singles from the first year up until 2007 on CD. a good friend burned it all for me. they are always, at some point, available online. and i DO appreciate that people offer it up for DL b/c i have not owned a turntable in over 10 years and no intention of getting another. as i realize pj will always release the single on vinyl, it IS one time i wish they would also offer up a free DL, just to make it easier.......

[quote="Ryan_WFC"}If the band decides to put it out digitally at first and you don't want to hear it that way, you can wait for your CD or vinyl.

I just want to hear it ASAP, and I doubt I'm alone there[/quote]

i doubt you're alone there too. i understand i we all can wait for the CD if we desire....but it would be a shift is all, if they CHOOSE to offer it as a DL first, rather than a CD/vinyl...and i personally hope it's not a choice they make is all. sure i want to hear it, of course......but i personally don't need the instant gratification. as i've said....people hear leaks, etc...fine, cool......i just hope the band doesn't start choosing to go digital first, CD and/or vinyl later. to me, that choices makes a difference....and i realize, more and more....people don't or soon won't feel that way, b/c it is becoming the 'norm'...i just hope not with pj. i am glad to see many do feel the same, actually surprised just how many, b/c i actually expected most to feel as you do....just give it to me NOW, in whatever form......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    I understand what you're saying, but with all due respect you might want to kind of brace yourself for where things are headed. I don't know that hard media have much more of a shelf life.

And I personally think it's great. All I really miss out on by getting an album via Itunes is a clear jewel case.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    I understand what you're saying, but with all due respect you might want to kind of brace yourself for where things are headed. I don't know that hard media have much more of a shelf life.

And I personally think it's great. All I really miss out on by getting an album via Itunes is a clear jewel case.

actually vinyl is making a big come back...
  • Options
    norm wrote:

Yeah, but I'm saying the days of companies manufacturing, transporting, and selling 1,000,000 physical CDs for a band are nearing their end. It's silly and cost-inefficient in an age when the vast majority just rips it onto an Ipod.

Vinyl is a different story in that it there's a big following of people who love the medium itself.
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    Yeah, but I'm saying the days of companies manufacturing, transporting, and selling 1,000,000 physical CDs for a band are nearing their end. It's silly and cost-inefficient in an age when the vast majority just rips it onto an Ipod.

Vinyl is a different story in that it there's a big following of people who love the medium itself.

I agree with that, I think there will always be a smaller market for the audiophiles and the people desiring a physical copy...

It's nice to see vinyl making a comeback, and when it includes the digital DL it is the perfect system for me. Just bypass the CD all together, the art looks better w/ the vinyl anyway. I only ever listen to CDs in my car and there are starting to be more and more hard drives in car stereos these days...I expect my next car will have one, and then I won't have any use for CDs at all.

I think vinyl is perfectly fine, and doing better than it has in a long time, and will continue to have its niche audience. I think CDs won't be around much in 10-15 years.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    norm wrote:

band nearing their end? :?

but yes, per orders of cd's are much lower than they used to be
  • Options
    actual cd and vinyl. sound quality dont campare
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    downloads are for sampling. if it's worth the purchase, i'll buy the physical releases.

majority of PJ releases are worth buying....with exception to the Gorge boxset. :P
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

oh i know and i realize...and i am not anti-technology, far from it. however, i am simply hoping that my favorite band still chooses to make physical CDs available, first and foremost, that's all. obviously, if all you think you are missing out on is a 'clear jewel case' you and i do not see...nor hear...the albums, the artwork, etc, in the same way. i find there is much more to it.

i know things are heading in that direction, and sure....there is a lot of good, easy access, etc.....but it's also sad to see some of the goo things of the past fall by the wayside as well...........

norm - he wasn't saying band nearing their end.....he was saying companies are nearing the end of manufacturing, transporting, and selling 1,000,000 physical CDs for a band ....... and i do agree. i don't like it, but i agree that the future of music will be vastly different.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

oh i know and i realize...and i am not anti-technology, far from it. however, i am simply hoping that my favorite band still chooses to make physical CDs available, first and foremost, that's all. obviously, if all you think you are missing out on is a 'clear jewel case' you and i do not see...nor hear...the albums, the artwork, etc, in the same way. i find there is much more to it.

i know things are heading in that direction, and sure....there is a lot of good, easy access, etc.....but it's also sad to see some of the goo things of the past fall by the wayside as well...........

norm - he wasn't saying band nearing their end.....he was saying companies are nearing the end of manufacturing, transporting, and selling 1,000,000 physical CDs for a band ....... and i do agree. i don't like it, but i agree that the future of music will be vastly different.

I don't even much care for artwork, I just like having the CD's on my shelf. It's the same thing with books for me... I'm not keen on the kindle. I like have a stack of something to browse through. When I want to listen to something, I scan my cd rack... it's way more fun and satisfying than scrolling through an itunes list. Or it's fun to visit friends and check out their books or cd's and start conversation that way. All this is lost when everything is in a generic and impersonal format on a computer. :(
  • Options

I don't even much care for artwork, I just like having the CD's on my shelf. It's the same thing with books for me... I'm not keen on the kindle. I like have a stack of something to browse through. When I want to listen to something, I scan my cd rack... it's way more fun and satisfying than scrolling through an itunes list. Or it's fun to visit friends and check out their books or cd's and start conversation that way. All this is lost when everything is in a generic and impersonal format on a computer. :(
    +1.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    CD...I'm old
    ditto for me........can they do 8-track???!!!! :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    How about a stone turntable and pterodactyl beak...

;)