• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    Rygar wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Btw, you know I was joking, right? :P
    nope......
    Well now you do.
    yes i do....

and i still hate all mechanics........

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe...............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Rygar wrote:
    nope......
    Well now you do.
    yes i do....

and i still hate all mechanics........

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe...............
    That is ok. I'm not too fond of mine, either.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    i just found out why my Rodeo has been "lurching" forward between 1st & 2nd and 2nd & 3rd...it was what i had feared. i need a new transmission. :x $1500!!!!! so i'm going to take it to a couple of other places & see what they say. apparently, it can't be re-sealed b/c of the mileage. instead, it has to be replaced.

so it's either pay $1500 on a car that's trade-in value is around 4K, or bite the bullet, trade it in & get a new car. man, this has been a rough couple of weeks. we had to buy a new fridge, then my wife got into an accident & we had to pay our deductible, now this. on top of this, i know that i'm about to be laid off. damn.

i love this car & i want to keep it. but is it smart to invest that much $ in a high mileage car that's only worth 4K? any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    and another question for the mechanics....

why is it that i see signs everywhere advertising a $99, 2 wheel brake job(most cars)????

yet in 30 years of driving never once has my car qualified for the $99 brake job.....

every single fucking time i have had someone give me the old "free brake inspection".....

the first thing that comes out of the mechanics mouth after the "free brake inspection" is.....

"Well, you are looking at $600 to get your brakes fixed"...

or

"Well, you not only need pads, shoes, rotors...blah blah blah.....but we also recommend blah blah blah"......

and all those blah blah blahs add up to about $1000......

How come i never fucking ever qualify for the $99, 2 wheel brake job???????

while I'm not a mechanic, I often play one in my driveway...the $99 dollar thing is a teaser to get you through the door...perhaps you're not aware, but mechanics like to make money... ;)

I'd be willing the bet the $99 brake job is the price of replacing the brakes on a Chevy Chevette...all others $600....Free brake inspections are crap, too...I would hope in this day and age, that most would realize these teasers are scams...

I'd recommend to anyone, do a Google search for your make + model + forum....there is tons of good information on the internets that will be helpful to know prior to going to a mechanic, and these forums can provide detailed solutions to your problems...join the forum and ask questions, often you'll get help...

Right now I'm replacing the engine in my VW van with a Subaru engine. I'm only able to do so with the help of folks on a forum...

anyway, mechanics, like anyone else who provides a service tend to play on one's ignorance, allowing them to pad the bill...
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    mfc2006 wrote:
    i just found out why my Rodeo has been "lurching" forward between 1st & 2nd and 2nd & 3rd...it was what i had feared. i need a new transmission. :x $1500!!!!! so i'm going to take it to a couple of other places & see what they say. apparently, it can't be re-sealed b/c of the mileage. instead, it has to be replaced.

so it's either pay $1500 on a car that's trade-in value is around 4K, or bite the bullet, trade it in & get a new car. man, this has been a rough couple of weeks. we had to buy a new fridge, then my wife got into an accident & we had to pay our deductible, now this. on top of this, i know that i'm about to be laid off. damn.

i love this car & i want to keep it. but is it smart to invest that much $ in a high mileage car that's only worth 4K? any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you truly do need a new transmission, $1500 seems reasonable....are they going to rebuild yours or is this a new transmission or a remanufactured transmission...? Whats the warranty on this job? I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to "re-seal". I'm guessing this an Automatic...right...?

Have you checked the fluid levels...?
  • Seems as though I'm not the only one with Isuzu Rodeo problems! Actually mine has been really good lately. Anyone have any tips for the following 2 problems.

1. Power steering pump has been slowly leaking for a while now. Just recently it started leaking much faster. Any tips on ways to find out if you just need to replace a hose or the whole pump?

2. Brakes are making a funny noise now. They sometimes schreech a little while driving and not using the brakes. I jacked up the wheeel where the noise was coming from and spun the tire and it sounded like the brake pad was still endgage on the rotar. Any easy fixes for this?

Thanks
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    Bumping for halp
    I see that the board Mechanic has just signed on....

Give him a few minutes and i am sure he will help.....

come on "Champ"................
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Seems as though I'm not the only one with Isuzu Rodeo problems! Actually mine has been really good lately. Anyone have any tips for the following 2 problems.

1. Power steering pump has been slowly leaking for a while now. Just recently it started leaking much faster. Any tips on ways to find out if you just need to replace a hose or the whole pump?

2. Brakes are making a funny noise now. They sometimes schreech a little while driving and not using the brakes. I jacked up the wheeel where the noise was coming from and spun the tire and it sounded like the brake pad was still endgage on the rotar. Any easy fixes for this?

Thanks
    My 928 has a power steering leak too.....God, I hate to imagine what that's gonna cost.

Sounds like you need new brake pads and probably rotors since since you're hearing noises when the brakes aren't applied.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I checked the rotars and they don't have any grooves in them. Brake pads also have a little bit of time until they get worn down to the "screecher" that alerts you when you need new pads. Maybe I'll just take the pads out and clean them, could be a rock or dirt causing that.

As for the PS pump, I really have no clue. A mechanic friend told me to wash off the engine and underneath area so I could tell where its leaking, maybe it will end up being a hose. Doubt it but I guess we'll see. Is it bad to just keep pouring more fluid in there? I mean that stuff is only $2-3 a bottle. :D
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    edited August 2013
    Post edited by electronblue on
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Seems like pretty much anything will set those check engine lights off. Bet mechanic income really increased after the first check engine lights were installed.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I had my air-conditioning fixed this week. I'm going to need it this summer. 8-)

It got broken when I got into that accident in the dead of winter and I didn't realize it until recently when I first needed to use it. :|
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I use a tuning program on my race car (EFI Live, for those that want to know) and changed the parameters of my ECU to read what the state inspections need to read, even though the readings are not true. Just seeing the guys face the first time whenever he plugged in his scanner and the car passed even though it was loping like crazy was priceless. It read within spec though so he had to give me my sticker. The only pain is having to put the exhaust and street wheels back on each year. :twisted:
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    My explorer, the same thing, several years. I have driven it cross country several times, gone on too many road trips to count. It also has 186,000 miles on it and still going! Its a 1997!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    my check engine light came on in my car on my way home this afternoon...it didn't turn on until right after i got out of the car wash though. i've found online that sometimes that sets the light on?

has anybody else had this same experience?

the car runs fine so it was odd timing that it came on right after the car wash. it's a new place i hadn't gone to before, i think it's more high pressure than the old one i would go to.

i'm gonna wait and see what happens in the morning, if it needs to dry out of something. i might disconnect the battery too just to see (thanks for that tip in this thread!).
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Just be sure to disconnect the negative (black) cable only. And if you were to change the battery, always disconnect the negative first, then the positive (red). Opposite to reconnect, positive first followed by the negative. Though rare, I have seen a battery explode due to improper procedure..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Walked in to a mechanic today....

Saw the sign on the wall....

$118 an hour labor.....$118 an hour for labor????????

Had him give me a quote of $600 for the work I needed done....

Took my car and went to another place 2 blocks away.....

Was told the EXACT same amount of work needed would cost me $275.....

Mechanics are nothing but fucking thieves..........
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Walked in to a mechanic today....

Saw the sign on the wall....

$118 an hour labor.....$118 an hour for labor????????

Had him give me a quote of $600 for the work I needed done....

Took my car and went to another place 2 blocks away.....

Was told the EXACT same amount of work needed would cost me $275.....

Mechanics are nothing but fucking thieves..........

Many of them are. If you find an honest one cherish them. We've been going to the same people for about 20 years now, and its a family business. Their waiting room isn't flashy or impressive (there's some used tires in it, and some auto parts), and the magazines are from 2003, but I know they'll charge me fairly, unlike the chain place down the street with TV, coffee and luxurious waiting room.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Waiting for a tow. To pass the time does anyone know what the problem with my car might be? I was driving along fine and all of a sudden the gas pedal didnt work and the steering wheel locked up. There's power, but the car won't start. Anyone know? Thanks!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Waiting for a tow. To pass the time does anyone know what the problem with my car might be? I was driving along fine and all of a sudden the gas pedal didnt work and the steering wheel locked up. There's power, but the car won't start. Anyone know? Thanks!
    what kind of car? did the battery light come on before it died?

And to Speedy.. I am a mechanic, a damn good one too. and I am far from a thief. we charge 80 bucks an hour and I am worth every penny of that..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • jlaustinjlaustin Posts: 2,355
    Caveeze wrote:
    Waiting for a tow. To pass the time does anyone know what the problem with my car might be? I was driving along fine and all of a sudden the gas pedal didnt work and the steering wheel locked up. There's power, but the car won't start. Anyone know? Thanks!

And to Speedy.. I am a mechanic, a damn good one too. and I am far from a thief. we charge 80 bucks an hour and I am worth every penny of that..

That's what Leeze said! :lol:
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    jlaustin wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

That's what Leeze said! :lol:

Thats why I love her :D
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Caveeze wrote:

Hey sorry, my tow came faster than I thought. Yeah I think all the lights including the battery light lit up when it died. And it's a Ford Focus. Thanks!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self