the check engine light on my car.......

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    the 18 year old knows more about transmissions than me?????

why???

do they teach that on XboX?????

i think there's an app for that on iPhone actually.

it's not ready....for now he's using twitter
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    has basically been on for 4 years(i have replaced both headlights and turn signals yet the check engine light will NEVER burn out....hehehehehehe)

i check the codes myself(all you have to do is turn your key a few times) instead of paying some assfuck $100 to read the codes......

its always the same...gas cap, gas cap leak,blah blah.....

so anyway....in order to PASS the Illinois vehicle emissions test....the check engine light can not be on...or its an automatic fail......

so i got up this morning......disconnected the battery....waited 1 minute.....reconnected the battery.....

this turned off the check engine light.....cleared the computer codes.....and off i went....

and im glad to say i passed the emissions test......

not that any of you give a rats ass.....(but it fucking kept me up all night)hehehehe

My girlfriends 1998 Honda Civic had this same problem, and it was giving a similar message...a guy at Auto Zone tested it for free and told us how to fix it in order to pass emissions...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    The Champ wrote:
    why is it EVERY SINGLE TIME i go for a fucking oil change....

some 18 year old kid thinks he has the right to play with everything in my engine.....that he can get his fucking hands on?????

dont tell me i need a fucking radiator flush(i never asked you to check my fucking radiator)
    dont tell me i need a transmission flush(i never asked you to check my fucking transmission)
    dont tell me i need struts and filters and $1500 worth of other bullshit......

just change my fucking oil and let me go my merry way..........

EVERY SINGLE fucking time i have gone for an oil change some assfuck tries to sell me $500-$1000 worth of work i dont fucking need.........

Ignorant again Speedy? The same dumb 18 year old kid probably knows more about transmissions etc. than you..and yet you know for sure that those services you definitely do not need. With that said, oil change places are sketchy as they don't require a certain number of A certified technicians within the garage. Anyway, give the kid a break as he's just trying to make a buck..
    the 18 year old knows more about transmissions than me?????

why???

do they teach that on XboX?????

Why? I don't know the kid, but maybe he went to a technical/vocational high school where he studied automotive service and/or technology. I did, and by the time I graduated I was able to disassemble and reassemble a transmission in my sleep..well, okay maybe just a two speed powerglide transmission at that point ;) ..and actually I did work at a shitty oil change place when I was 17..lol...and did eventually get my B.S. in automotive technology and worked within the industry for a few years..not all mechanics are ignorant and thieves as you like to paint them out to be...
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    has basically been on for 4 years(i have replaced both headlights and turn signals yet the check engine light will NEVER burn out....hehehehehehe)

i check the codes myself(all you have to do is turn your key a few times) instead of paying some assfuck $100 to read the codes......

so anyway....in order to PASS the Illinois vehicle emissions test....the check engine light can not be on...or its an automatic fail......

so i got up this morning......disconnected the battery....waited 1 minute.....reconnected the battery.....

this turned off the check engine light.....cleared the computer codes.....and off i went....

not that any of you give a rats ass.....(but it fucking kept me up all night)hehehehe
    Hilarious...I had the same problem with my pathfinder (gas cap)....these fuckers wanted to smoke-test my entire fuel system AND order a new gas cap....would have cost me hundreds to get the damn light off...I just dealt with it....
    the next time I took the it in (to get a tire repaired), they ended up breaking the low-air pressure sensor inside the tire....THAT fucking warning beeps at you...and the part is $150. I had two lights on when I sold the thing - not paying $500+ to turn off two lights...wish I'd have tried the battery thing!
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2009

if you have experience it automotive service than please disregard this post.

just an FYI...the "assfuck" tech doesn't just read the codes. The codes only say so much. I know this is hard to believe, but there is still some human element involved in diagnosing problems with automobiles. $100 is typically an hour of shop time most places, you pay that 100 diag, you're set regardless of how long it takes, could take 20 minutes, could take 4 hours. A loose gas cap can cause it to come on...tighten it and drive it for a while and the light will clear, sometimes you will need to drive for about 60 miles or so but I wouldn't recommend disconnecting the battery to clear it because the light may be on for different reasons, then you could really be fucked. I don't know what kind of car you drive but they don't usually give a message that specific, its usually a bunch of letters and numbers, the guy at autozone or shucks might tell you what it means, but he is not a tech, that's why he works at autozone or shucks.

sorry,. I just spent the last 5 years of my life trying to defend myself by explaining this to people. Luckily, I'm not in that field anymore and doing something I really enjoy.
    Post edited by SomethingCreative on
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • why is it EVERY SINGLE TIME i go for a fucking oil change....

some 18 year old kid thinks he has the right to play with everything in my engine.....that he can get his fucking hands on?????

dont tell me i need a fucking radiator flush(i never asked you to check my fucking radiator)
    dont tell me i need a transmission flush(i never asked you to check my fucking transmission)

EVERY SINGLE fucking time i have gone for an oil change some assfuck tries to sell me $500-$1000 worth of work i dont fucking need.........

okie dokie.

MAYBE YOU NEED A FUCKING RADIATOR FLUSH.

the reason he tells you is because when your fucking engine in damaged for overheating. YOU WILL GO IN AND FREAK OUT BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T TELL YOU THERE WAS ANYTHING ELSE NEEDED. THEY ARE COVERING THEIR OWN ASSES. this way, WHEN you go in there and freak out, they have records that you declined the recommended work during a previous visit.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,665
    norm wrote:
    speedy is fired up today!!

:shock:

:lol:
    photo_189.jpg

:mrgreen:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    This is a timely thread for me. My check engine light is on. We have an appointment next week. I'd give disconnecting the battery a try. How do you do it? Just take it out? Actually my husband can probably do it. I'm going to give it a try. I guess disconnecting the battery is like a reboot in a way no? (If codes and such are getting 'cleared')
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    and the vehicle emissions test is nothing but a BIG FUCKING SCAM!!!!

here in Illinois.....you cant get a license plate sticker (re-register your car every year to make it legal) unless you pass the emissions test....

what the fuck does one have to do with the other?????

as im taking the test today....some guy tells me this is his 3rd time taking the test......he had to do $700 worth of work on his car(the car is only 3 years old).....and he STILL hasnt passed the stupid fucking test....

then he tells me they will suspend his drivers license if his car doesnt pass the emissions test....

unreal...

again...im sure none of you give a fuck......hehehehehe

i live in illinois and i have never had to take a test to get a license, license plate or even the sticker, u must be up in the city or something,
    if you live in Illinois....

im pretty sure your car needs to pass an emissions test every year....
    Not if its newer.. I had to get my first test for my '04 car last summer.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    not if its newer????

my car is the same year as yours....

and i have had to get an emissions test every year......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I have and 05 Malibu and a van from 98 and neither has to be inspected ever. Must be a city thing.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I found out the check engine light in my Suzuki comes on if I don't screw the gas-cap on tight enough. :? :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    justam wrote:
    I found out the check engine light in my Suzuki comes on if I don't screw the gas-cap on tight enough. :? :D

A lot of cars are like that. It's happened to me before :mrgreen:
    NERDS!
    why is it EVERY SINGLE TIME i go for a fucking oil change....

okie dokie.

MAYBE YOU NEED A FUCKING RADIATOR FLUSH.

the reason he tells you is because when your fucking engine in damaged for overheating. YOU WILL GO IN AND FREAK OUT BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T TELL YOU THERE WAS ANYTHING ELSE NEEDED. THEY ARE COVERING THEIR OWN ASSES. this way, WHEN you go in there and freak out, they have records that you declined the recommended work during a previous visit.
    This is, without a doubt, the SILLIEST fucking thing I have ever read on theis board. As a matter of fact, this could possibly be the silliest fucking thing i have ever read, anywhere, at any time.

The fucking mechanic is recommending a bunch of fucking work that I dont need......SO HE CAN COVER HIS OWN ASS?????

Thats the biggest line of bullshit i have ever heard......
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    This is, without a doubt, the SILLIEST fucking thing I have ever read on theis board. As a matter of fact, this could possibly be the silliest fucking thing i have ever read, anywhere, at any time.

The fucking mechanic is recommending a bunch of fucking work that I dont need......SO HE CAN COVER HIS OWN ASS?????

I think the poster was suggesting that perhaps you do need said work, hence the mechanic recommending it.
    Rygar wrote:

I think the poster was suggesting that perhaps you do need said work, hence the mechanic recommending it.
    my mechanic can take his radiator flush....that he has been recommending to me for 5 years.....and shove it up his thieving ass.....

...draining and refilling your auto radiator with new antifreeze every two to three years WILL help maintain and extend the life of your vehicle, but will probably NOT have an impact on the way it drives, overall fuel economy, cure a major over-heating problem, or improve handling in wet weather
    Rygar wrote:

my mechanic can take his radiator flush....that he has been recommending to me for 5 years.....and shove it up his thieving ass.....

...draining and refilling your auto radiator with new antifreeze every two to three years WILL help maintain and extend the life of your vehicle, but will probably NOT have an impact on the way it drives, overall fuel economy, cure a major over-heating problem, or improve handling in wet weather
    Well maybe the mechanic was just trying to help you make your car last longer. Or maybe he was just reading from a script. Who knows? It was easy to say no, wasn't it? ;)
    i cant tell you how many times i have heard......"we recommend a transmission flush"

The shops that want to sell you the engine or transmission flush charge anywhere from $49.95 to $99.95, not including a new engine or transmission. Those are extra. And they state quite emphatically that it is recommended that it be done. But who actually recommends that it be done? I checked with GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Honda and several other new car manufacturers and not one recommended an engine or transmission flush as routine maintenance. In fact, they specifically don't recommend it at all!! The new car dealerships that do sell them use the implication that since they are the dealer that it must be the factory that recommends it. And if they do say the factory recommends it, they are flat out lying to you.

The only ones who do recommend flushing as a maintenance procedure are the companies that sell the flush machines and the shops that buy them. The flush machine manufacturers state quite clearly in their operating manuals not to use their machines on "high-mileage vehicles". That simple statement proves that flushing is not a safe procedure. It also absolves them of any responsibility of any damage that may occur due to the use of their equipment. This leaves the shop wholly responsible for anything that happens and the cost of correcting the damage that occurs
    i cant tell you how many times i have heard......"we recommend a transmission flush"

The shops that want to sell you the engine or transmission flush charge anywhere from $49.95 to $99.95, not including a new engine or transmission. Those are extra. And they state quite emphatically that it is recommended that it be done. But who actually recommends that it be done? I checked with GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Honda and several other new car manufacturers and not one recommended an engine or transmission flush as routine maintenance. In fact, they specifically don't recommend it at all!! The new car dealerships that do sell them use the implication that since they are the dealer that it must be the factory that recommends it. And if they do say the factory recommends it, they are flat out lying to you.

The only ones who do recommend flushing as a maintenance procedure are the companies that sell the flush machines and the shops that buy them. The flush machine manufacturers state quite clearly in their operating manuals not to use their machines on "high-mileage vehicles". That simple statement proves that flushing is not a safe procedure. It also absolves them of any responsibility of any damage that may occur due to the use of their equipment. This leaves the shop wholly responsible for anything that happens and the cost of correcting the damage that occurs
    I'll take your word for it. I haven't had them push flushes on me yet.
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    this thread is funny...anyway, my two cents...

yes, the quicky lube joints are going to recommend things to make a couple of extra bucks...but is in important to read your owners manual for suggested fluid change intervals....

check engine light: it seems that some see this as major nuisance drummed up by auto manufacturers simply to piss you off and have you take the vehicle to a mechanic...well, it's there for a reason...feel free to ignore the light...eventually you'll be paying someone to fix the issue...

I know in VW's the check engine light is usually a bad O2 sensor...sure you could ignore it, but in a year, you'll be putting in a new catalytic converter to the tune of couple, few hundred bucks...

• The fucking mechanic is recommending a bunch of fucking work that I dont need......SO HE CAN COVER HIS OWN ASS?????

I checked with GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Honda and several other new car manufacturers and not one recommended an engine or transmission flush as routine maintenance. In fact, they specifically don't recommend it at all!!

Yes, to cover his own ass. Lets say that the "fucking work you don't need" leads to something very bad happening to your car...transmission burns up, engine blows, brake system fails. Like I said before, people will go in there and freak out because they weren't told ahead of time and guess what...the shop ends buying them a new engine, transmission, radiator. etc. I guess I just don't see what the big deal is...its not like they're putting a gun to your head and making an offer you can't refuse...are they?

I can't speak for the import companies, but I worked for ford and they definitely have routine transmission service intervals, they vary by the model and year...off the top of my head the focus from like 2001-2004 is every 30,000 miles...the f150s are the same for the most part. It changes pretty much every year. I know a lot of the new ones are good till like 150,000 miles or something crazy.

here's a search where you can get FORD's recommended service intervals, if you feel so inclined:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/ ... GetYMM.asp
    and another question for the mechanics....

why is it that i see signs everywhere advertising a $99, 2 wheel brake job(most cars)????

yet in 30 years of driving never once has my car qualified for the $99 brake job.....

every single fucking time i have had someone give me the old "free brake inspection".....

the first thing that comes out of the mechanics mouth after the "free brake inspection" is.....

"Well, you are looking at $600 to get your brakes fixed"...

or

"Well, you not only need pads, shoes, rotors...blah blah blah.....but we also recommend blah blah blah"......

and all those blah blah blahs add up to about $1000......

How come i never fucking ever qualify for the $99, 2 wheel brake job???????

why is it that i see signs everywhere advertising a $99, 2 wheel brake job(most cars)????

yet in 30 years of driving never once has my car qualified for the $99 brake job.....
    Well your brakes don't last 30 years, 'cmon be reasonable!
    Rygar wrote:

you want me to be reasonable????

yet YOU are under the impression that i have driven the SAME car for 30 years????
    Rygar wrote:

yet YOU are under the impression that i have driven the SAME car for 30 years????
    Oh, for some reason I thought your last name was Bundy. My bad!
    so after going to Mr. Mechanic this morning.......and telling him....

"Lets just check the front brakes and see what i need....DO NOT worry about the rear brakes....lets just check the front brakes and see what i need"

he calls me a half hour later and says....

"We also checked your rear brakes and they are fine, but you can use an adjustment which will run you $45"

WHAT THE FUCK was it that Mr. Mechanic didnt understand about "DO NOT worry about the rear brakes!!!!"

it never ever fucking ever changes with these guys.....hehehehehehehehe

and OF COURSE he recommends the $139 part instead of the $99 part....OF COURSE!!!!!!

it took me 5 minutes to tell the fucking guy....USE THE $99 PART!!!!!!!!!
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    That check engine light makes me crazy. I also just unhook the battery to shut it off. It comes on even if its just time for an oil change. Thankfully, here in Michigan, we don't have our cars check anymore.
    Save room for dessert!

Btw, you know I was joking, right? :P
    Rygar wrote:

nope......
    Rygar wrote:
    nope......
    Well now you do.