the check engine light on my car.......

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
has basically been on for 4 years(i have replaced both headlights and turn signals yet the check engine light will NEVER burn out....hehehehehehe)

i check the codes myself(all you have to do is turn your key a few times) instead of paying some assfuck $100 to read the codes......

its always the same...gas cap, gas cap leak,blah blah.....

so anyway....in order to PASS the Illinois vehicle emissions test....the check engine light can not be on...or its an automatic fail......

so i got up this morning......disconnected the battery....waited 1 minute.....reconnected the battery.....

this turned off the check engine light.....cleared the computer codes.....and off i went....

and im glad to say i passed the emissions test......

not that any of you give a rats ass.....(but it fucking kept me up all night)hehehehe
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    and the vehicle emissions test is nothing but a BIG FUCKING SCAM!!!!

here in Illinois.....you cant get a license plate sticker (re-register your car every year to make it legal) unless you pass the emissions test....

what the fuck does one have to do with the other?????

as im taking the test today....some guy tells me this is his 3rd time taking the test......he had to do $700 worth of work on his car(the car is only 3 years old).....and he STILL hasnt passed the stupid fucking test....

then he tells me they will suspend his drivers license if his car doesnt pass the emissions test....

unreal...

again...im sure none of you give a fuck......hehehehehe
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    My light has been coming on and off for the past two months.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823

here in Illinois.....you cant get a license plate sticker (re-register your car every year to make it legal) unless you pass the emissions test....

as im taking the test today....some guy tells me this is his 3rd time taking the test......he had to do $700 worth of work on his car(the car is only 3 years old).....and he STILL hasnt passed the stupid fucking test....

then he tells me they will suspend his drivers license if his car doesnt pass the emissions test....

unreal...

I hear ya Speedy, its fucking ridiculous in Illinois here....

My roommate had to put $1000 into his car just to pass this ridiculous fucking test. I didnt know they would go as far as suspending your license if you dont pass it. Thats crazy...
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635

unreal...

how is that legal? to suspend one's driving privileges when he is doing
    everything he is supposed to do to rectify the situation? ridiculous.

scam is an understatement.

what could possibly be that wrong with a 3 year old car to warrant that much work.

what kind of car did he have?
    Nice shirt.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    They have the same emmisions scam in MD.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...

unreal...

what could possibly be that wrong with a 3 year old car to warrant that much work.

it didnt sound right to me either(suspending his license)....

i know they can suspend it if you fail to go and take the test....

but if you are trying to take the test.....and you fail.....yet you are trying to fix the problem....

i cant see HOW these assholes can suspend your license.....

but this guy was POSITIVE.......that they told him he could get his license suspended...(i still have my doubts)
  • mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784

unreal...

i live in illinois and i have never had to take a test to get a license, license plate or even the sticker, u must be up in the city or something,

unreal...

i live in illinois and i have never had to take a test to get a license, license plate or even the sticker, u must be up in the city or something,
    if you live in Illinois....

im pretty sure your car needs to pass an emissions test every year....

unreal...

it didnt sound right to me either(suspending his license)....

i know they can suspend it if you fail to go and take the test....

but if you are trying to take the test.....and you fail.....yet you are trying to fix the problem....

i cant see HOW these assholes can suspend your license.....

but this guy was POSITIVE.......that they told him he could get his license suspended...(i still have my doubts)

sounds very fishy to me.

sure, they can suspend your privileges if you are non-compliant,
    but if you are making an attempt...doesn't make any sense at all.

at least tell the poor guy exactly what to do to get his vehicle
    in road worthy shape.

that's the least they can do. and whatever mechanic the guy
    is taking his car to ought to know how/what to do to make it right.

especially after the third visit.
    Nice shirt.
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I had that same problem b4 but I have a friend that turned it off with the device he has. Yes the check engine light turned off. But like you said it resets the info that the DMV checks. I had to drive it around for a week inorder for the senors to be set the right way. I took it to the DMV and it didn't fail but didn't pass it was rejected. But on the 4th try it passed. It made my day last month. hehe :)
  • mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    i live in illinois and i have never had to take a test to get a license, license plate or even the sticker, u must be up in the city or something,[/quote]if you live in Illinois....

im pretty sure your car needs to pass an emissions test every year....[/quote]

i dunno man, i take it there myself to do it, we have two vehicles and i know the festie van would never pass any test and i just got that renewed last month
    well thats another fucking problem i have with the emission test....if YOU FAIL.....

they have A LIST of MECHANICS you can go to and get your car checked out........

so you pay some asshole $100 to diagnose your problem(which most people dont realize they can do themselves).....

the assfuck mechanic(they are ALL THIEVES) charges you $500-$700 to fix the problem....

and in REALITY all you had was a loose fucking gas cap!!!!!!!!!!!

its a BIG FUCKING SCAM!!!!!!
    I had that same problem b4 but I have a friend that turned it off with the device he has. Yes the check engine light turned off. But like you said it resets the info that the DMV checks. I had to drive it around for a week inorder for the senors to be set the right way. I took it to the DMV and it didn't fail but didn't pass it was rejected. But on the 4th try it passed. It made my day last month. hehe :)
    yeah ...

once you have everything reset.......

you need to drive the car around to get all the sensors re-set(and hope they dont do their job right away and trigger the check engine light by sensing a problem....heheheheh)....in other words you want the sensors to be reset but you want them to take an hour or so before they trigger the check engine light.....

but if all the sensors are re-set.....and working properly......you should/will pass the test....

now im quite sure that at some point today......the sensors will detect a problem and trigger the check engine light......

and that light will be on for the next fucking year....

but all i give a fuck about is ........for an hour today ....the check engine light wasnt on.......the sensors were all working properly.......and i passed the test......hehehehehe
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    We have the NCT every two years for cars four years and older. If you fail on emissions, you can buy some liquid stuff in a motorfactors for a couple of euro, rev the shit out of the car while going down the motorway, and your car will pass on retest!

Feckin' engine lights are a rip off - only for car manufacturers to make money out of you going to one of their dealerships to get the car "repaired".
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,665
    well thats another fucking problem i have with the emission test....if YOU FAIL.....

they have A LIST of MECHANICS you can go to and get your car checked out........

so you pay some asshole $100 to diagnose your problem(which most people dont realize they can do themselves).....

the assfuck mechanic(they are ALL THIEVES) charges you $500-$700 to fix the problem....

I got taken for the loose gas cap thing once about 12 years ago (it cost me 85 or 90 dollars at the dealership to "check and reset the code"), and never again. The check engine light is such a crock, though I do make a point of an extra turn on the gas cap every time I fill up now to be sure the fucker's on tight. That check engine light should only be enabled to come on if you have a serious engine problem that requires immediate attention.

The battery disconnect is a good tip that most folks don't know. The time spent resetting your clock and radio presets is worth getting that annoying light to disappear.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063

When I was in the business, I used to particularly love ripping off loudmouthed backyard mechanics who pretended and acted as if they can better diagnose and repair their vehicle than a highly education, properly trained A certified master technician. Statistically speaking, for every grease monkey dip shit, there are two idiot redneck customers ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    My check engine light has come on every summer since I bought the car, because the gas cap works itself loose in the warm weather.

This winter it came on and has been on non-stop... At Advance Auto, they will let you use their code reader for free (I have an evap leak), and on the reader you can reset all codes. I did that, got it inspected, and it passed...

Now I just have to find a weekend day and actually fix the leak...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I'm in Illinois and I've never had to pass any emmisions test, either. They make sure your lights and signals work, if you have to go take the driving test, which is done in your own car. Otherwise, nada.

Hell, you don't have to go to the DMV to renew your sticker. Down here, there are some banks that sell stickers.
    The Champ wrote:

When I was in the business, I used to particularly love ripping off loudmouthed backyard mechanics who pretended and acted as if they can better diagnose and repair their vehicle than a highly education, properly trained A certified master technician. Statistically speaking, for every grease monkey dip shit, there are two idiot redneck customers ;) ..
    never fucking mind.................
    My check engine light has come on every summer since I bought the car, because the gas cap works itself loose in the warm weather.

This winter it came on and has been on non-stop... At Advance Auto, they will let you use their code reader for free (I have an evap leak), and on the reader you can reset all codes. I did that, got it inspected, and it passed...

Now I just have to find a weekend day and actually fix the leak...
    and i bet you were thrilled you didnt have to take it to some mechanic......

who was going to charge you $100 to pull the same codes....

and then charge you $500 for something you didnt need in the first place......

I CAN PULL THE FUCKING CODES MYSELF.....

I NEVER MENTIONED BEING ABLE TO FIX THE PROBLEM MYSELF.....

thats where the ignorant uneducated thieving mechanic comes in to the scene......

A code can be triggered for various reasons. Improper diagnosis can be frustrating..it's too bad you can't find one educated and reputable technician in your area..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:

never fucking mind.................

Too late Speedy ;) ..I guess you realized how ignorant you are, not just the mechanics ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Poncier wrote:
    I got taken for the loose gas cap thing once about 12 years ago (it cost me 85 or 90 dollars at the dealership to "check and reset the code"), and never again. The check engine light is such a crock, though I do make a point of an extra turn on the gas cap every time I fill up now to be sure the fucker's on tight. That check engine light should only be enabled to come on if you have a serious engine problem that requires immediate attention.

The battery disconnect is a good tip that most folks don't know. The time spent resetting your clock and radio presets is worth getting that annoying light to disappear.

i was lucky that my mechanic (at the dealership mind you) was cool and clued me in to the gas cap thing....he still had to charge me $45 instead of the $100 that they usually charge but now i know

and the battery thing is a good tip....thanks! :D
    why is it EVERY SINGLE TIME i go for a fucking oil change....

some 18 year old kid thinks he has the right to play with everything in my engine.....that he can get his fucking hands on?????

dont tell me i need a fucking radiator flush(i never asked you to check my fucking radiator)
    dont tell me i need a transmission flush(i never asked you to check my fucking transmission)
    dont tell me i need struts and filters and $1500 worth of other bullshit......

just change my fucking oil and let me go my merry way..........

EVERY SINGLE fucking time i have gone for an oil change some assfuck tries to sell me $500-$1000 worth of work i dont fucking need.........
    speedy is fired up today!!

:shock:

:lol:

some 18 year old kid thinks he has the right to play with everything in my engine.....that he can get his fucking hands on?????

dont tell me i need a fucking radiator flush(i never asked you to check my fucking radiator)
    dont tell me i need a transmission flush(i never asked you to check my fucking transmission)

EVERY SINGLE fucking time i have gone for an oil change some assfuck tries to sell me $500-$1000 worth of work i dont fucking need.........

Ignorant again Speedy? The same dumb 18 year old kid probably knows more about transmissions etc. than you..and yet you know for sure that those services you definitely do not need. With that said, oil change places are sketchy as they don't require a certain number of A certified technicians within the garage. Anyway, give the kid a break as he's just trying to make a buck..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    norm wrote:

I'm throwing some logs on the fire ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:

Ignorant again Speedy? The same dumb 18 year old kid probably knows more about transmissions etc. than you..and yet you know for sure that those services you definitely do not need. With that said, oil change places are sketchy as they don't require a certain number of A certified technicians within the garage. Anyway, give the kid a break as he's just trying to make a buck..
    the 18 year old knows more about transmissions than me?????

why???

do they teach that on XboX?????
    The Champ wrote:
    norm wrote:

I'm throwing some logs on the fire ;) ..

logs of tnt ;):D
    the 18 year old knows more about transmissions than me?????

why???

do they teach that on XboX?????

i think there's an app for that on iPhone actually.
    Nice shirt.