The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    I just landed a killer job at Boundry Bay Brewery!!! People in the NW know what I'm talking about, others should check them out!!!
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    pjl44 wrote:
    Dieu du Ciel (From Montreal...check out Aphrodisiaque, Route des Epices, and Equinoxe du Printemps)

I love Aphrodisiaque I had a bottle of it Tuesday Night, Péché Mortel from the same brewery is really good too. I live in Eastern Ontario so it is a pretty quick trip to Quebec to find a store that carries their beers. Which reminds me I think I might head over there on Friday to pick up some things. I have a cousin who lives like 20 minutes from their microbrewery too, I think I need to go visit him soon.
    pretext wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    pretext wrote:
    Dogfish Head World Wide Stout... :? No, not just questionable...TERRIBLE. Seriously, it tasted like Purell. The single worst beer I have ever had. Drank about a third and dumped the rest. Ew.

They are one hit and miss brewery. I refuse to buy a four/six-pack of anything I haven't already vetted. I admire the attempts, but can't afford to try it all at the price. Still think it'd be a cool place to visit though.

I haven't had the Stout, but Dogfish is a consistently great brewery IMO.

I don't recall ever having anything from them I didn't like.

Part of my thing is that I don't enjoy IPAs, which I know is their forte. So my judgment doesn't take those into account. I enjoy the Punkin' Ale quite a bit, and like the Raison D'etre. But sometimes they seem to be trying too hard to make things happen. I can tolerate beers like the ImmortAle, but I prefer more than just tolerating a beer that cost a (relative) ass-load of money.

I am sort of the same way. I love trying new beers but I am totally not a fan of the super hoppy American IPA's. I have sort of gotten to the point where even though there are a ton of these beers that get great ratings and reviews, but I know they are not really my cup of tea so I usually look for something else, since I can usually find other really good stuff I like.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Local Crew wrote:
    I just landed a killer job at Boundry Bay Brewery!!! People in the NW know what I'm talking about, others should check them out!!!

can you get me in. :D
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    If this thread has gone 5 pages, and no one has mentioned Innis & Gunn, we should all be ashamed of ourselves.
  • adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    Thread revival. Getting ready to crack open a Palo Santo Marron from Dogfish Head. Depending on how I feel, I may end up cracking open a bomber of Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide as well. Good times.

Here's a shot of a few bombers I picked up this week:
    5102985480_3f6113589b.jpg

Oh, and here's a link to my BA profile. Feel free to add me to your buddy list.

http://beeradvocate.com/user/profile/adam42381
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Finally tried Pliny the Elder last night. Very good!! Other recent favs include:

Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy
    Founders Porter
    Founders Breakfast Stout
    Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
    Samuel Smith Imperial Stout

Just getting into these craft beers, and enjoying the experience!!
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    PJSerf wrote:
    Finally tried Pliny the Elder last night. Very good!! Other recent favs include:

Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy
    Founders Porter
    Founders Breakfast Stout

Samuel Smith makes killer beers. some of my favorites.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    currently drinking Magic Hat Winter Lager.

it's very dark, a porter/stout colur, but it has the lager flavor.

not the best beer ever, but certantly not bad
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    81 wrote:
    PJSerf wrote:

Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy
    Founders Porter
    Founders Breakfast Stout

Yea, I haven't been disappointed yet. Got a bottle of their Nut Brown Ale in my fridge to crack open tonight.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
    PJSerf wrote:
    81 wrote:
    PJSerf wrote:

Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy
    Founders Porter
    Founders Breakfast Stout

Yea, I haven't been disappointed yet. Got a bottle of their Nut Brown Ale in my fridge to crack open tonight.

i like their taddy porter.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    PJSerf wrote:

Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy
    Founders Porter
    Founders Breakfast Stout

had pliny the elder once, it was good but I feel it was overrated when I tried it. Founders breakfast stout is one of the best beers ever made
    Picked up a case of a Founders Variety Pack yesterday at the local distributor. Includes a 4 pack of their Red Rye, Double Trouble, Centennial IPA, Porter, Dirty Bastard, and their Pale Ale. All for $45... thought it was a very reasonable price.

To make room for some of that in my fridge, I finally cracked open a bomber of Arrogant Bastard that I had in my fridge... wasn't really impressed. But I'm not a huge hop head, so that may be why.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,300
    PJSerf wrote:
    Picked up a case of a Founders Variety Pack yesterday at the local distributor. Includes a 4 pack of their Red Rye, Double Trouble, Centennial IPA, Porter, Dirty Bastard, and their Pale Ale. All for $45... thought it was a very reasonable price.

That sounds like a nice mixed case. ;)

I may pick up the Sierra Nevada Glissade again. Got it last year and it was an awesome spring bock. 8-)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    PJSerf wrote:

I may pick up the Sierra Nevada Glissade again. Got it last year and it was an awesome spring bock. 8-)

Yea, I got it at the Beer Yard in Wayne. Also picked up a casae of Edmund Fitzgerald for $35. Ever been there? I love that place.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Hoping to get in a keg of Firestone Walker's Double Jack Imperial IPA today. Think there may be only one other place in the state to get it.

Product%20-%20Firestone%20Walker%20Double%20Jack%20IPA.preview.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,300
    PJSerf wrote:
    PJSerf wrote:

Yea, I got it at the Beer Yard in Wayne. Also picked up a casae of Edmund Fitzgerald for $35. Ever been there? I love that place.

HAHA - that's my all-time favorite beer distributor!!! I have the mixed case of Great Lakes, including Edmund Fitzgerald. :shock:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    [
    HAHA - that's my all-time favorite beer distributor!!! I have the mixed case of Great Lakes, including Edmund Fitzgerald. :shock:[/quote]

Small world - I could do a lot of damage to my wallet in that place! Yea, the Edmund Fitzgerald and Founder's Porter, are probably my top two porters that I've tried so far.
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    This is a must try. They just put i on tap at a pub close to my house and it's bangin!
    Double+Trouble.jpg
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    Sweetwater 420, sweetwater IPA (which is hard to find around where I live, but an awesome beer) Sierra Nevada, and magic hat #9
    I have the mixed case of Great Lakes, including Edmund Fitzgerald. :shock:

that's a solid porter
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Southern Tier 2x IPA, Smuttynose Big A, and Flying Dog's Snake Dog are a few I had at happy hour this afternoon.
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Southern Tier 2x IPA, Smuttynose Big A, and Flying Dog's Snake Dog are a few I had at happy hour this afternoon.

Mmmmm...Southern Tier
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Dont be fooled by the can!
    Oskar Blues has amazing beers! I think the scotch ale is my favorite
    Bubbles wrote:
    PJSerf wrote:

Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy
    Founders Porter
    Founders Breakfast Stout

I know what you mean, the only way you can get the Sam Smith Oatmeal stout in Ontario is as part of the christmas 3 pack that comes with a glass. Even though I already have a sam smith glass for the last few years I have been very tempted to buy another one just to get another bottle of oatmeal stout.
    Bubbles wrote:
    PJSerf wrote:

Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy
    Founders Porter
    Founders Breakfast Stout

I know what you mean, the only way you can get the Sam Smith Oatmeal stout in Ontario is as part of the christmas 3 pack that comes with a glass. Even though I already have a sam smith glass for the last few years I have been very tempted to buy another one just to get another bottle of oatmeal stout.

I can get it. What's it to ya?

:thumbup:
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    Bell's and Founders out of western Michigan are both great breweries. Pearl Street Grill & Brewery in Buffalo makes some delicious beers, but they don't bottle them for sale except for the growlers you can take home.

This thread reminded me that it's getting closer to Oberon season. Now it's going to haunt my dreams... fresh from the tap with an orange slice...
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,565
    I live in beer paradise in central Oregon, with 7 microbreweries in my town of 75,000. Deschutes Brewery has a beer called Dissident (for a PJ tie-in). I'm blessed and I know it!
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Just put down a Dogfish Punk now onto a left hand milk stout. :o
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,565
    Just put down a Dogfish Punk now onto a left hand milk stout. :o

Is that Dogfish's stout?

(hit the homebrew porter and had a Red Chair (Northwest Pale Ale) from Deschutes)