Options

anyone sitting this one out?

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,403
    Flagg wrote:
    Sitting it out and waiting on PJ.
    you are sitting it out....

and waiting for SPEEDY and his POSSE to show up at ACL.....................

that includes me, Flagg & all the other anxious Texans, right? ;)

yup, we thought about it. it was tempting to enter our names in the hat for Nashville b/c we have family there & it would've been a fun trip. then my wife reminded me that we had just bought ACL tix. she then reminded me of other possible re-issues this year & that we could save this $ and see the whole band when they tour. all good points. so we're siting this one out as well. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,881
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    Sitting it out and waiting on PJ.
    you are sitting it out....

and waiting for SPEEDY and his POSSE to show up at ACL.....................

that includes me, Flagg & all the other anxious Texans, right? ;)

yup, we thought about it. it was tempting to enter our names in the hat for Nashville b/c we have family there & it would've been a fun trip. then my wife reminded me that we had just bought ACL tix. she then reminded me of other possible re-issues this year & that we could save this $ and see the whole band when they tour. all good points. so we're siting this one out as well. 8-)
    if pearl jam plays acl....

then i will see you there!!!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    PJPJ Posts: 285
    Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see him last year, so from what I'm hearing it should be a great experience and I'm really hoping I get to see him in Philly this year :)
    2006-06-01 E. Rutherford 1
    2008-06-24 NYC: MSG 1
    2008-06-25 NYC: MSG 2
  • Options

sounds good to me, speedy. i'll buy you a shiner! 8-)

oh--i'll be the guy in the Pearl Jam shirt ;)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

ill be the guy wearing the mickey mouse ears..........
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

ill be the guy wearing the mickey mouse ears..........

:D we still have a box of thin mints, man. i wonder if they'll stay good until then
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Flagg
    myself
    and a few others had a fucking ball at lolla in 2007.................

im hoping that ACl can turn out the same....

and damn right you better bring those girl scout cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Flagg
    myself
    and a few others had a fucking ball at lolla in 2007.................

im hoping that ACl can turn out the same....

and damn right you better bring those girl scout cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you got it, man. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    I’m sitting this tour out, going even to the closes show in Atlanta mean at least $500 for me, and I really want to see the band later this year, I was lucky enough to see Ed in Vancouver when he kicked off the April Fool’s tour so I feel ok about skipping this one. Travelling for an Ed show would prevent me from travelling to see the band later this year.

Depending on where they play it looks like I may be partying with SPEEDY and Flagg in Austin! :)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,427
    yep sitting these out also hey fuckers heading to acl texas i'm on my way better be ready for a crazy Chilean FLAGG & SPEEDY .. :lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    LL624LL624 Posts: 43
    I'm definitely out on this one....too far to travel and too much cash needed to do so.
    "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." --Henry David Thoreau
    "Compassion is the basis of all morality." --Arthur Schopenhauer
  • Options
    yep sitting these out also hey fuckers heading to acl texas i'm on my way better be ready for a crazy Chilean FLAGG & SPEEDY .. :lol:
    RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    LL624 wrote:
    I'm definitely out on this one....too far to travel and too much cash needed to do so.

Totally agree. If it were the full band I'd think about going up to Albany or down to B-more but not for solo shows. Really strange timing with them working on the new record. There was no reasons given in the announcement either. Sure the guy can go tour whenever he wants, but there's usually a reason.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I'm sitting this one out.

*prepares for flames*

Personally, I'm not an ev fan. I think he's great, but I'm a PJ fan at heart. I value the role ev plays in relation to the piece of the PJ puzzle he is. Together they are greater than the sum of their parts. Individually they all do interesting and great work with its own unique flavoring (Mike & Mad Season, Jeff & Three Fish, Stone & Brad, Matt & Wellwater Conspiracy, ev & ITW) and which I own and enjoy listening to. But honestly, I probably would not have picked up any of these albums had it not been for the respective contributing members' involvement in PJ. After I did purchase the albums and had time to listen to and digest them I found each valuable and rewarding in their own way. None had (or has), to me, the same impact as a body of PJ work though. None alone generates the same excitement as a new PJ album.

I know there are others who would disagree with my opinion and say that ev is the driving force behind PJ, but I don't think he is. As I see it the core of this band is always the music that Stone, Jeff and Mike produce. ev adds another dimension to it, as does the sitting percussionist. But from reading interviews over the years I think it's safe to say the band considers themselves a "big D" Democracy where each member is encouraged to contribute. The ultimate decision about what winds up on an album goes to a vote and some members wind up more represented than others. That is only fair. I personally think they share the band's musical vision. The vision's flavoring seems to be more ev-centirc because it is his voice and (for the vast majority of the time) his lyrics you hear, but I personally don't draw too much excitement from lyrics. I appreciate melodies and instrumentation and rhythm. I stated this in another thread but I think it bares repeating here. PJ's music is strong enough to stand on its own without vocals. There are not many other bands I could say that about. In some ways I consider it a litmus test for how good a band really is. It is not the only measure that exists, but I think it is a significant one.

It seems to me that there are few bands where media coverage and attention is fairly distributed throughout an entire band. Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Phish, DMB, etc..., are all bands who have garnered much deserved attention to all members for the strengths of their musical contributions. To me PJ is a collaborative effort deserving of equal attention, beyond just the singer/lyricist. Together they could get me to drive a few hundred miles to see a show. Individually... I'll leave it to the local hard core fans to whet their appetites. :geek:
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,879
    after 2 in NYC and one DC show, 2 EV solo....I'm on the sidelines unless it is in Chicago proper
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,091
    CINCY!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL, if PJ plays a show in Cincy in '09 I am there! :mrgreen:
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Yeah, on the bench for this. Waiting for a real tour.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    like.echoeslike.echoes Posts: 582
    Sit it out? No can do. But I'm not married with kids and a mortgage so I can be more indulgent.

I get the whole EV vs PJ thing, and if I had to do one or the other, PJ would win. But an EV solo show is a different kind of experience that appeals to a completely different side of me in a very profound way. So missing it? Not if I can help it. :D
    nothing's changed but the surrounding bullsh1t
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,614
    I cant decide!!!! I would love to see Ed solo but....
    The closest show is 6 hours away in Nashville, which would cost $162 for tickets, plus the cost of a hotel, plus gas and food, plus I would be missing an important college course.

At first I thought, why not, but with all those reasons, and the possiblity of saving money to see PJ play whenever they tour next, I am now leaning towards not going. If he was playing within 3 or so hours I would deffintley do it, but I am not sure a 12 hour round trip and all the money is worth it.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346
    BeerBaron wrote:
    CINCY!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL, if PJ plays a show in Cincy in '09 I am there! :mrgreen:

me too!!! Got married last year and missed that tour (ed played Fl about 5 days after we left, grrrr!!), and can't afford to travel 7 hours, get a hotel, etc after my husband lost his job :-( Hopefully Ed or Pearl Jam will come thru Ohio soon!!! Lolla in 07 was too long ago!!!
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • Options
    RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude if they play i'm as good as there will get Flagg drunk as shit and dropp him off with painted face and all :lol: but really i will be there ... you better be there Speedy .. 8-)
  • Options
    I too am sitting this one out.

I was fortunate enough to see Vancouver 1 last year, so I'm happy for that. This year, I'm in the middle of a move and low on funds. If Ed were playing somewhere that didn't involve travel to catch the show, I'd be in.

For now, I'm waiting for a PJ tour.
    I carried a watermelon
  • Options
    ZosoCatZosoCat Posts: 176
    really looking forward to Liam Finn... Almost as much as Eddie to be honest. What a great show they will put on. Hopefully they do some songs together.

not sitting this one out... didn't see him last year although saw plenty of PJ and would rather PJ this will be a fun night nonetheless (if I get tickets).
  • Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I saw Ed in DC last year and even though Philly is close for me I'm gonna sit out
  • Options
    RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude if they play i'm as good as there will get Flagg drunk as shit and dropp him off with painted face and all :lol: but really i will be there ... you better be there Speedy .. 8-)

i hope they play ACL, man. i'd be up to having a pre-party!! 8-)8-)8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    ZosoCat wrote:
    really looking forward to Liam Finn... Almost as much as Eddie to be honest. What a great show they will put on. Hopefully they do some songs together.

not sitting this one out... didn't see him last year although saw plenty of PJ and would rather PJ this will be a fun night nonetheless (if I get tickets).

I'm hoping Liam will do a few of his own shows before touring with Ed. That would put him in the NE and I would love to see him again. Although, he did quite a bit of touring last year, so it's probably wishful thinking.

I should check out his touring calendar.
    I carried a watermelon
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    I'm sitting this one out.. nowhere really close enough for me (and nowhere I'm really interested in traveling just for the hell of it.) Saving it for the fall tour. ;)

I went to LA last year... so that was pretty epic. Don't miss Liam! And don't drink too much... :oops: :lol:
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I am sitting out as well. Not a good time financially right now and the closest show is 3 hrs away. I'll wait patiently for PJ.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just described a random Tuesday night!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg i will be picking your brain as far as places to stay & eat you take care of the drinking part and be sure to have water based paint ready :lol: now i'm really hoping this comes true lets go PEARL JAM and play A FUCKING CL for damm sakes :!: :!: :!: ...