Into The Wild Vinyl

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Some people like the oversized artwork. Not everyone is an anal audiophile who can tell the difference between CD and vinyl.

I grew up with vinyl... really didn't have a choice. I remember when CDs first came out, I was sooo happy... no more scratches, jumping stylus when too much movement around it, buying favourite lps over and over again because they got all gray and used from playing.... I still have all my vinyl and still buy new sometimes. What I do love with vinyl (and that you don't have with CDs) is the look, the feel and yes, the artwork. Heresy, I hear you say.... but that's the way it is.
  • ITW should be made available again, the thing that pisses me off are those not even playing it and probably don't even own a deck or have any plans to buy one.

Well I'm one of the black circlers since 94 and I've had enough of it, Benny I'm not that fussed about, yeah it would be nice but RVM would be what I'd really like and ITW as well.

I'm sure when PJ had their statement about vinyl on Vitalogy sleeve didn't intend people to buy loads of copies then post pictures of sealed copies to piss other fans off. Those who are saying they are investments are likely to see the value decrease when superior better packaged versions emerge over the next few years and serves you fucking right.

I've never bought vinyl for it to be worth more, it's to be played, I recently managed to secure via Ebay John Frusciante's album "Inside of Emptiness" on vinyl and I'm chuffed to bits. I bought awesome Empyrean recently and followed it with with the Kid A flavoured "A Sphere In The Heart Of Silence" . Under the impression I'd be waiting for the unlikely repressing of this I managed to win it for $46, it's sealed and not played. I guarantee you I'll putting an end to that when it arrives, it will be going on the turntable again and again.

I'm reliably informed by my friend who turned me on to John F that this is his best album yet and pretty damn rare to get hold of but it won;t becoming something to stick on the wall, I'm gonna spin that black circle.

Vinyl is superior and more fulfilling than digital formats and it's a crime to see it as wall art, play it or sell it to someone who will, you can't take it with you.

Judgmental much? It's not your place to tell people why or how they should collect their vinyl. Not everybody has or can afford a turntable. Some people like the oversized artwork. Not everyone is an anal audiophile who can tell the difference between CD and vinyl. I could see maybe getting pissed if there were original songs on these vinyls that can't be heard anywhere other than a turntable but virtually every song available on vinyl is available on cd or in some sort of digital audio format. Benaroya is readily available at any record store. Sorry you might only be able to hear a small bit of Ed's tambourine on a silver disc as opposed to a somewhat clearer tambourine sound on a red vinyl.

And yes some buy it as an investment. Congrats on buying vinyls in order to play them and I apologize on behalf of the non-pretentious people on this board who don't buy them for the same reason you do.

The point is I don't like CD and rarely buy them only when there is no other alternative, by sticking it on the wall and admiring your not doing with it the purpose it was made for.

Dressed up as much as you like but there are plenty of people who would enjoy those records the way supposed to, people who buy them just to say look what I've got and stick it on the wall have got too much money and clearly nothing really important to spend it on, in a time when people are scrimping for the next penny and people are buying things like this not to use, I find it very sad and somewhat pathetic and I'm entitled to that view whether you like it or not!
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    ITW should be made available again, the thing that pisses me off are those not even playing it and probably don't even own a deck or have any plans to buy one.

Well I'm one of the black circlers since 94 and I've had enough of it, Benny I'm not that fussed about, yeah it would be nice but RVM would be what I'd really like and ITW as well.

I'm sure when PJ had their statement about vinyl on Vitalogy sleeve didn't intend people to buy loads of copies then post pictures of sealed copies to piss other fans off. Those who are saying they are investments are likely to see the value decrease when superior better packaged versions emerge over the next few years and serves you fucking right.

I've never bought vinyl for it to be worth more, it's to be played, I recently managed to secure via Ebay John Frusciante's album "Inside of Emptiness" on vinyl and I'm chuffed to bits. I bought awesome Empyrean recently and followed it with with the Kid A flavoured "A Sphere In The Heart Of Silence" . Under the impression I'd be waiting for the unlikely repressing of this I managed to win it for $46, it's sealed and not played. I guarantee you I'll putting an end to that when it arrives, it will be going on the turntable again and again.

I'm reliably informed by my friend who turned me on to John F that this is his best album yet and pretty damn rare to get hold of but it won;t becoming something to stick on the wall, I'm gonna spin that black circle.

Vinyl is superior and more fulfilling than digital formats and it's a crime to see it as wall art, play it or sell it to someone who will, you can't take it with you.

Judgmental much? It's not your place to tell people why or how they should collect their vinyl. Not everybody has or can afford a turntable. Some people like the oversized artwork. Not everyone is an anal audiophile who can tell the difference between CD and vinyl. I could see maybe getting pissed if there were original songs on these vinyls that can't be heard anywhere other than a turntable but virtually every song available on vinyl is available on cd or in some sort of digital audio format. Benaroya is readily available at any record store. Sorry you might only be able to hear a small bit of Ed's tambourine on a silver disc as opposed to a somewhat clearer tambourine sound on a red vinyl.

And yes some buy it as an investment. Congrats on buying vinyls in order to play them and I apologize on behalf of the non-pretentious people on this board who don't buy them for the same reason you do.

The point is I don't like CD and rarely buy them only when there is no other alternative, by sticking it on the wall and admiring your not doing with it the purpose it was made for.

Dressed up as much as you like but there are plenty of people who would enjoy those records the way supposed to, people who buy them just to say look what I've got and stick it on the wall have got too much money and clearly nothing really important to spend it on, in a time when people are scrimping for the next penny and people are buying things like this not to use, I find it very sad and somewhat pathetic and I'm entitled to that view whether you like it or not!

my office looks damned good with all my PJ records framed behind me...never to tough a needle! Look how terrible and evil I am because I enjoy displaying my love for the band in the form of a framed record.

54822.png

Take your silly argument elsewhere on your...

high_horse.jpg
  • PABLINHOPABLINHO Posts: 221
    jmk wrote:
    Same goes for the Benaroya Hall vinyl set. Why don't we make a petition to have these two re-issued! These first pressings will still be valuable and remain collectors items, even if re-issues were to be released.

I agree, I don´t think it will affect the value of the first pressings. I will join the petition of the two albums no matter I am interested in ITW.
    redrock wrote:
    I already own both Benaroya Hall and ITW on vinyl and I would be in favor of re-issuing these. Too many people were left out on the original sale

That's the whole idea behind limited pressings... limited.
    You are right that the original pressings will still hold their value, so no one who owns them should worry about the value plummeting.

The value will not 'plummet' but it will certainly decrease. A lot of people looking for these albums are not collectors per se, they are just the people who did not get one in the original sale. Most of them really don't care if it is an original press or not. If a re-issue is to flood the market, those are the ones that will purchase it and no longer seek the 'original'. Therefore less demand for the original (because demand was not for the 'status of the item' - ie original but for the item itself, ie a vinyl), therefore lower price for the original pressing.

I see you're point about the value decreasing a bit. But for me, I don't really care about what it's worth. Honestly. I don't plan on ever flipping it for $$. I enjoy listening to it every now and again and that's the beauty of it. For me it's like any other record I own, when I feel like listening, I do. Whether it's worth $7 or $700 I will enjoy it either way. I wouldn't care if they were re-issued because more people could enjoy them like I do.

Totally agree, I think none of us want the record to sell it!! I want it because I couldn´t have the chance to buy it and I do enjoy listening to the music I love no matter I paid 3 or 120 bucks.
    ITW should be made available again, the thing that pisses me off are those not even playing it and probably don't even own a deck or have any plans to buy one.

That´s it!!! I have all my vinyls ready to play in the shelf, they are for the ones (like you) who don´t like the cold surface of a CD and enjoy the magic of music in its original state...
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927

You make it sound as though said albums are impossible to get because of people who don't listen to them. They can all be had, you will just have to pay secondary market prices. You aren't being deprived of anything, just deprived of the price you think it should be.

As yes, you are entitled to your opinion on this matter. Just know you are coming across as pretentious and as the picture above demonstrated....on a high horse.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Posts: 2,646
    Let it be a lesson..when the Ten Club comes out with the word LIMITED and VINYL..you should buy quick. Everyone knows what happened with Benyroyal Vinyl. So when Ten Club said Into the Wild will be LIMITED for $30 I picked it up. Now that it is $300..you can't complain..just like I can't complain that I didn't pick up Ford stock at $1.00
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425

I'm sorry, but what does people framing their vinyl have to do with the economy. They can use them however they want. If every vinyl was played, they would be more expensive b/c then they would never show up on ebay.

It sucks that people buy them just to frame them, but it's not really for you to decide.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    Let it be a lesson..when the Ten Club comes out with the word LIMITED and VINYL..you should buy quick. Everyone knows what happened with Benyroyal Vinyl. So when Ten Club said Into the Wild will be LIMITED for $30 I picked it up. Now that it is $300..you can't complain..just like I can't complain that I didn't pick up Ford stock at $1.00

It was also announced in advance that Aural Exploits would be selling them as well and I don't think they sold out on either site in minutes. You snooze you lose.
  • jmkjmk Posts: 425
    edited April 2009
    Why does Pearl Jam / Ten Club make them SO DAMN LIMITED? Don't they want the fans to be able to enjoy these on vinyl if they want to?

I was so pissed when I hadn't checked my mail and then the ITW vinyl had sold out on TenClub. Then I got so happy when I got it from Aural Expolits and I can enjoy listening to it. Now I missed the 7" that came with the volcom t-shirt and I'm depressed again,... When the Benny Hall vinyl set came out I hadn't discovered vinyl yet.

Look at Neil Young,... He releases loads of stuff, both studio albums and concerts on vinyl and now even on Blue Ray with the Archives. He really hates how cds sound and has been into vinyl all this time. Now he's releasing all of his work on Blue Ray Disc as he thinks it's the best sounding. Blue Ray really gives him the opportunity to release all of it and at the same time as you listen to the music you can read the lyrics etc. from your tv screen and update stuff online in the future... Check out: http://neilyoungarchives.warnerreprise. ... epage/link and read the message from Neil.

Please Pearl Jam and Eddie: do as Uncle Neil and release a lot of your live and studio recordings on vinyl. I don't know if Pearl Jam is ready for Blue Ray yet, but if it hits us hard as the most common format of music listening and replacing those crappy cd's, then we'll probably see the Pearl Jam catalog re-issued on Blue Ray Disc in 2022 at their 30th anniversary ;) or maybe they'll wait until Eddie is 63 years old like Uncle Neil is now and they release The Pearl Jam Archives Vol 1 in the year of 2027 (after 19 years) :o . Until Pearl Jam is up for Blue Ray and also after that: give us some vinyl!
    Post edited by jmk on
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    jmk wrote:
    Why does Pearl Jam / Ten Club make them SO DAMN LIMITED? Don't they want the fans to be able to enjoy these on vinyl if they want to?

I was so pissed when I hadn't checked my mail and then the ITW vinyl had sold out on TenClub. Then I got so happy when I got it from Aural Expolits and I can enjoy listening to it. Now I missed the 7" that came with the volcom t-shirt and I'm depressed again,... When the Benny Hall vinyl set came out I hadn't discovered vinyl yet.

Look at Neil Young,... He releases loads of stuff, both studio albums and concerts on vinyl and now even on Blue Ray with the Archives. He really hates how cds sound and has been into vinyl all this time. Now he's releasing all of his work on Blue Ray Disc as he thinks it's the best sounding. Blue Ray really gives him the opportunity to release all of it and at the same time as you listen to the music you can read the lyrics etc. from your tv screen and update stuff online in the future... Check out: http://neilyoungarchives.warnerreprise. ... epage/link and read the message from Neil.

Please Pearl Jam do as Uncle Neil and release a lot of your live and studio recordings on vinyl. I don't know if Pearl Jam is ready for Blue Ray yet, but if it hits us hard as the format of music listening and replacing those crappy cd's, then we'll probably see the Pearl Jam catalog re-issued on Blue Ray Disc in 2022 at their 40th anniversary ;) Until then: give us some vinyl!

I wonder if the new PJ album will be so limited when it comes out?
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    DewieCox wrote:

I was thinking the same thing today. Now that vinyl has sort of gone mainstream again and lots of bands are releasing their albums via vinyl, PJ should do the same. But not like usual with the limited release. Especially since they'd have to be numb to not know their fanbase is into vinyl. No limited nothing on the new album. Put out as many vinyl as CD's and hopefully no one will complain. I want to walk into BB or a local record store later this year and see the new PJ album in vinyl on the shelf. (even though I'll still pre-order from 10c)
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    A little advice Part II - If you didn't buy the Super Deluxe ..and want the Drop In the Park Vinyl..you probably should do so b4 it goes out of print and then prices start to rise for the DITP Vinyl.....
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • A little advice Part II - If you didn't buy the Super Deluxe ..and want the Drop In the Park Vinyl..you probably should do so b4 it goes out of print and then prices start to rise for the DITP Vinyl.....

Yeah we wouldn't want to deprive people of more artwork for their wall would we?

Seriously I can't afford the boxset, I bought the vinyl and are very happy with it but they could have included the Unplugged DVD for us loyal vinyl buyers, I now have to buy the CD version to get this. Nice one PJ.
  • jmkjmk Posts: 425
    DewieCox wrote:

I don't think it will be that limited, what would be the point? Their s/t (Avacado) wasn't that limited or was it? In how many days/weeks did it sell out from Ten Club? I just hope that if they throw in something extra on the new album with the pre-orders (like the NYC gig with s/t) they do it as well with the vinyl and release the vinyl the same date.
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • jmk wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I don't think it will be that limited, what would be the point? Their s/t (Avacado) wasn't that limited or was it? In how many days/weeks did it sell out from Ten Club? I just hope that if they throw in something extra on the new album with the pre-orders (like the NYC gig with s/t) they do it as well with the vinyl and release the vinyl the same date.

Avocado LP is worth roughly $100 on vinyl nowadays...a little more for a mint copy...I'm sure the new album will sell out within hours on 10C website... ;)
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • I'll be surprised but pleased if they drop the vinyl same date as the CD and download.

That way if I want to listen to the new album on day of release which what I've done for every album apart from Binaural, I will need to buy the CD and I will because as a fan I want to hear it on day of release.

PJ must know this and must know their fans want the album day of release, so making the vinyl available later almost guarantee's them more sales, I don't want to be cynical but when all said and done they do want to make money and this guarantee's duplicate sales.

If they do release the album day and date on vinyl as the CD apologies for accusing them of ripping us off but until them I won't hold my breath

If the Ten redux can be put out same day of release why can't the new album? I hope it is but with it being released by the band themselves I wouldn't be surprised we have to wait like with Avocado album. Yes I got it soon as it went on release but it is now deleted and fetching upwards of £50 most places.

People can do what they want with their vinyl, burn them if you like stick them up your arse for all I care. I'll continue to get the maximum out of them playing them.
  • I'll be surprised but pleased if they drop the vinyl same date as the CD and download.

That way if I want to listen to the new album on day of release which what I've done for every album apart from Binaural, I will need to buy the CD and I will because as a fan I want to hear it on day of release.

PJ must know this and must know their fans want the album day of release, so making the vinyl available later almost guarantee's them more sales, I don't want to be cynical but when all said and done they do want to make money and this guarantee's duplicate sales.

If they do release the album day and date on vinyl as the CD apologies for accusing them of ripping us off but until them I won't hold my breath

If the Ten redux can be put out same day of release why can't the new album? I hope it is but with it being released by the band themselves I wouldn't be surprised we have to wait like with Avocado album. Yes I got it soon as it went on release but it is now deleted and fetching upwards of £50 most places.

People can do what they want with their vinyl, burn them if you like stick them up your arse for all I care. I'll continue to get the maximum out of them playing them.

I hope no one really tries the sticking them up your arse bit...God knows we don't need to see that on YouTube... :)
  • redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    i want one of these bad boys, purely because its a out and out classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
  • skere26skere26 Posts: 304
    I once sold my extra copy to a chap on here for $1 and a holiday single... Then paypal suspended my account for my "erratic payment amounts" hahaha :lol:
  • DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    Does anyone have an idea of how many sets Redux is limited to, or how long it will be available?
    A little advice Part II - If you didn't buy the Super Deluxe ..and want the Drop In the Park Vinyl..you probably should do so b4 it goes out of print and then prices start to rise for the DITP Vinyl.....

Just trying to help some people out so they won't get left out..vinyl is black gold right now....
    And no its not my auction..but this is how ITTW Vinyl prices started to blow up....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0115444841
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    ALL vinyl that is released by EVERY band is limited, they don't make millions and millions of copies of LP's anymore because is is not the typical format that it used to be. So if a band that you like releases new music on vinyl I advise people to but it right away. The whole ITW and Benny Hall thing cracks me up, I can understand the ITW because it's a studio recording, but Benny Hall is a live release and I don't think it was recorded live on analog, I'm pretty sure it was recoded digital, so even if you have it on vinyl, it's more than likely still recorded digitally and basically sound NO DIFFERENT than the CD.

When Riot Act and Avocado came out I bought them fairly early after their release dates, but again, these are not 1 million pressings we are talking about, so when a year or two goes buy and they are all bought, THAT'S IT! The band is NOT going to release more just because you didn't get one. When the new LP comes out there should be enough for everyone, don't wait a year or two and then complain that they should re release it. I was at the Austin Record Convention last week and some guy was trying to sell Yield (sealed) for $100.00 and No Code (open) for $65.00, I bought No Code about 3 years ago at the Austin Record Convention for $20.00. I asked him if he really thought he would get that much for them, his answer was, "Hell no! unless some "dumb ass" Pearl Jam fan wonder up to my booth." He then basically told me, you know these albums aren't worth that much, you just have to find the right sucker.

Man how times have changed, I remember in 1993, Vs came out on vinyl about 2 weeks before it ever did on CD, my friends and I all bought it and listened to it for 2 weeks before the CD was released. The guy at the record shop said we were the only ones that bought the Lp's, I bought 2 at the time, I opened both of them and still have both of them to this day. I also have several LP single from Pearl Jam and they are all open and have been listened to.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,546
    how much is solider field vinyl going for these day's? one vinyl i'm still on the hunt for.
  • demetrios wrote:
    how much is solider field vinyl going for these day's? one vinyl i'm still on the hunt for.

One on Ebay right now at $83...watch that one blow up last minute...good luck...... :)
  • DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    demetrios wrote:

One on Ebay right now at $83...watch that one blow up last minute...good luck...... :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PEARL-JAM-SPIN-THE-L ... 240%3A1318
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,546
    Deebs41 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PEARL-JAM-SPIN-THE-L ... 240%3A1318

will try my luck! thanks! :)
  • [

will try my luck! thanks! :)[/quote]

I posted this a few days ago and everyone gave me flak for being an Ebay whore...gotta love the holier than thou set :roll:
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    I have a clean open copy of Into The Wild with the book and 7" for trade.. Really looking for a St. Louis 98 poster (the fighter jet) or maybe a Dallas 98 poster (the icee one) also would like a rearviewmirror and a live on 2 legs both on vinyl..