Would you quit or skip work because of Pearl Jam?

Comments

• CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    In the past I missed classes for pj ticket sales and just recently I was late for work for the ben harper ticket sales. With this job I'd quit for a tour since it's a crap job...*though I'd make sure I had one lined up for after the tour*... if and when I have a real job I'll just do the dates I can.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    I told a college professor that my stove caught on fire so that I could be home for the 2006 Tenclub presale.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    I HAVE skipped work for PJ but would never quit.
    Me too.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,893
    I usually have plenty of vacation days and 1/2 days, i use them if needed.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • I quit a job in 03 because they wouldnt give m the day off to go to Benaroya Hall.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    I told a college professor that my stove caught on fire so that I could be home for the 2006 Tenclub presale.

:lol::lol: that is AWESOME.
    I need to think up a good excuse for my teachers.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • funnygirlfunnygirl Posts: 529
    I have skipped work in order to buy tickets and wait by my computer all day like a crazy person.

I would quit work if my boss would not let me have a day off to go to a show, etc.....but, I would quit work if my boss told me anything I did not like! No one puts baby in a corner! :D
  • InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    i have skipped work for PJ shows

then again my boss is really cool about me taking work off when i need too
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    yup...skipped work & school to go to shows

and i'd do it again!! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • As a teacher, I'm usually off when they tour. I usually stay home to buy tickets.
    Let the ocean swell, dissolve 'way my past
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    i took the day off on my first pj live concert. i was so excited, and i knew that i needed the whole day.
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• zezitozezito Posts: 164
    I wouldnt be able to follow em here in Australia in 2006, my boss woldnt give me a few days off....so I said....I QUIT!!!! Never felt soooo good at work....
    "...take care of a couple of requests...one is from last night...I don't know if you are here again tonight...this first one...I'm not gonna tell you!"
    EV Adelaide 22-11-2006 ... yep I was there ... THANKS!
  • tubes10s wrote:
    i skipped the first day of classes my sophomore year of college to see Pearl Jam in Raleigh, NC in 98 :)

and i have taken "extended early lunches" from work to buy tickets before :)

and i have used plenty of vacation days seeing shows!

I had a mid-term in one of my classes when I was going to college in Duluth, MN. I told the professor I had to go out of town on some family get together. He said he would let me make it up when I got back. I drove 8 hours to the 2000 Alpine Valley "Ice Bowl" show. After that, I drove to the Chicago show.

I woke up at like 5 AM the morning I had to be back in Duluth for the exam. I high tailed it out of Chicago and really cut the 10 hour drive down.
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    I quit a job in 03 because they wouldnt give m the day off to go to Benaroya Hall.
    wise wise choice.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • 58823005882300 Posts: 813
    I am lucky enough to have a job I love love love. Seriously I love it, so I would never quit. I have an awesome boss that understands or at least appreciates my Pearl Jam and touring addiction. I am also blessed with a shit ton of vacation days. As long as I let him know what my plans are I don't get any push back. I schedule my time off and book plane tickets as soon as shows get announced so if some kind of meeting pops up I already have the time off and plane tickets. If I quit, I couldn't afford to tour anyway.
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    I got fired because I extended my vacation to see PJ in Columbia SC this past year. It all worked out in the end though... Fourth row to IMO best show of 08' except Roo, not to mention my new job pays out almost 3 xs as much... 8-)
  • 58823005882300 Posts: 813
    I got fired because I extended my vacation to see PJ in Columbia SC this past year. It all worked out in the end though... Fourth row to IMO best show of 08' except Roo, not to mention my new job pays out almost 3 xs as much... 8-)

Too good!!!! Now you can tour more. Do you like this job better?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Skip, get my tickets, go doctor, fake a stomach bug, get a medical certificate for my boss.
    If my work was so shit and not worth it I'd quit.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • I haven't had to quit or skip because of Pearl Jam... but I have went to longer distance shows (8 hr trip to Philly for 1st show, when Cleveland and Pittsburgh were about two hours away)...

...and I made the decision to quit my previous job of over ten years during the break between KoL and PJ at Virginia Beach this past year... hit Columbia and VB, then turned in my two week notice the morning I returned to work from my trip...
    If Adam and Eve had Taco Bell they would have never eaten that filthy fruit...
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    IAmMyself wrote:

...now 10 years ago I would have definitely skipped worked and let it be, as a matter of fact on 1996 I quit my job and told me boss and my BF I was off to follow Peal Jam up the east coast, but I guess all its easier when you don't have children that depend on you.

I don't have children either, so that would make a huge difference. I probably wouldn't have taken as many trips or even risked the business venture if I had kids that depended on me and a steady paycheck.
    Thank god, I realized early in life that I am extremely selfish when it comes to my time, and kids just wouldn't fit into the schedule until after I'm 40 or so. I always planned on adopting so, I'm not on any biological schedule. Yeah, kids change priority~definitely!

Yes, they do make a difference. Last time the band came to Australia I couldn't go interstate to see them but next time, I'm outta here to go see them in a couple of other cities as well as my own and my kids will just have to fend for themselves with some help from my husband. They'll be old enough to do without me for a few days. I've gone without enough things for them over the years but this time I'm not, PJ will come first for me as I'm getting selfish in my old age. And I would definitely cut one of my work shifts to book tickets to see PJ, but not give up my job. I get my shifts 2 weeks ahead so I wouldn't take one on the morning the tickets went on sale.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,555
    Yup i've already missed school when i went for the USA tour last June, was meant to miss 4 days but it ended up being a week i think.
  • Definitely skipped work last year to buy Ed tickets...and then skipped again for two days to go to the shows! It so happens that my boss at the time was a huuuuge Pearl Jam fan and was also most definitely absent from work those days, so he understood the importance. :D
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • JITJIT Posts: 47
    PJ is more important then work quit no but if they wanaa fire me for it oh well
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    I've totally skipped out on work for Pearl Jam! That's not even an option.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Hate to say it but as great as Pearl Jam are, they won't pay my bills and put food on the table.
    Have you asked? How do you know for sure until you ask? ;)
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i took a week off for the bonnaroo week last summer.
    was threatened to be fired.
    didnt care..i had missed pj all my life because of work. this would be my first shows
    i went and it was worth it
    ended up quitting anyways for better gig :lol:
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I have and will skip work because of pearl jam.. If the job was super replaceable than i would quit for pj shows , why not? :D
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    I’ve gotten my significant other to skip work for pj and he’s not even a fan. How about that? ;)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Who the fuck can afford to quit their job these days?
    "I had a false belief, I thought I came here to stay" -e.v.

• SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,583
    funnygirl wrote:
    and wait by my computer all day like a crazy person.

That's not crazy. That's in fact, the norm around here :D
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam