Would you quit or skip work because of Pearl Jam?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2009 in The Porch
Would you all do such a thing?

What if you are scheduled to work on Wednesday at 9 am and tickets go on sale at 930. Would you just not go to work? Would you go late? Would you quit?

How about if your boss refused to give you time off for a show. Would you skip work that day and go anyway? Would you quit?

Alot of people might say, "Its only a band" or "its only music". But I think, there are many on this board, and many music fans in general who would argue, music is their life. i am obviously one of them. Read Ed's commentary on Pete Townshend. He too would agree.

I am not trying to suggest those who dont quit or dont skip work like the band more that than those who would miss the show or ticket sale. But how far would your obsession with the band or music go?

Would you only miss/skip/quit work for PJ? Or would you do this for any band you liked?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cordurologycordurology Posts: 227
    Would hypothetically skip, but not quit work.
    Lex 03, Gorge 05, Cincy 06
  • einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    I have
    And I will again
    hopefully soon
    :)
  • I would skip work but not quit.

Hate to say it but as great as Pearl Jam are, they won't pay my bills and put food on the table.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I HAVE skipped work for PJ but would never quit.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
    I would skip work but not quit.

Hate to say it but as great as Pearl Jam are, they won't pay my bills and put food on the table.

True, I like to think I'm at least putting food on theirs ("Small my table, now seats four") Plus, I still like to mix things up in the job department, aint got no one, not a goldfish, depending on me :)
  • I can see myself skipping work, but never quitting for something like that. Unless I needed any excuse to quit that job.
  • i've skipped work for the stone concert 10/4 (and what a great day THAT turned out to be! :mrgreen: ) and i've skipped class for when tickets went on sale. i'm pretty sure my grade suffered slightly because of it, mostly because my prof. was like well ariana i don't see you in class that often... was about to get an F because i missed class so much, but i just HAD to get tickets! (turns out they were available the entire day....) oh well, doesn't matter now, i got a B in that class anyway ;) hooray for state school!
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Same here. Would skip but definately not quit.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • I skipped work when the Ed solo tickets for Milwaukee went on sale, and 14 years ago I skipped out of school to buy tickets for their Summerfest shows. Luckily no repercussions for skipping work, but had to spend a Saturday cleaning the cafeteria and kitchen at school for the Summerfest shows. Still was a good trade. I wouldn't quit work, but I would definitely skip... as long as it didn't have a profound affect on your employment!
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • tubes10stubes10s Posts: 527
    i skipped the first day of classes my sophomore year of college to see Pearl Jam in Raleigh, NC in 98 :)

and i have taken "extended early lunches" from work to buy tickets before :)

and i have used plenty of vacation days seeing shows!
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • I have taken a total of three days off for Pearl Jam, and once borrowed my boss' laptop for "an emergency" to buy tickets.
  • like.echoeslike.echoes Posts: 582
    Days off, for sure, but quit? No way.
    And as for buying tickets, that's when I shut my office door and go online. :D
    nothing's changed but the surrounding bullsh1t
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    Yes I would skip work. I normally don't skip for anything, but I would for a PJ show.

Also, after I booked Bonnaroo off and told my boss that's when I want to take my vacation, she told me it may not be possible. I did tell her that if I couldn't have the time off I would quit, but there was a lot more to the story including hatred and min. wage pay. She gave me the time off.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    skip? always.

quit? no chance.
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Would you all do such a thing?

What if you are scheduled to work on Wednesday at 9 am and tickets go on sale at 930. Would you just not go to work? Would you go late? Would you quit?

How about if your boss refused to give you time off for a show. Would you skip work that day and go anyway? Would you quit?

Alot of people might say, "Its only a band" or "its only music". But I think, there are many on this board, and many music fans in general who would argue, music is their life. i am obviously one of them. Read Ed's commentary on Pete Townshend. He too would agree.

I am not trying to suggest those who dont quit or dont skip work like the band more that than those who would miss the show or ticket sale. But how far would your obsession with the band or music go?

Would you only miss/skip/quit work for PJ? Or would you do this for any band you liked?

Well I've never been faced with this predicament.
    I have always been able to purchase my tickets online at work, my bosses have always known about me and Pearl Jam and they didn't mind, (this is at both of the jobs I've had) as far as shows go, same thing as soon as I request the day or days off because of Pearl Jam they have never told me "no", they know how much it means to me.

Now if I had a boss that told me sorry I'm not giving you the day off, and skipping work jeopardized my job; at this point in my life I would have to miss the show, I wouldn't risk losing my income and not be able to provide for my family.

...now 10 years ago I would have definitely skipped worked and let it be, as a matter of fact on 1996 I quit my job and told me boss and my BF I was off to follow Peal Jam up the east coast, but I guess all its easier when you don't have children that depend on you.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 671
    yes, and honestly it's the main reason I own my own business today, so that nobody can tell me when I can or cannot go to a pj show.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    IAmMyself wrote:
    yes, and honestly it's the main reason I own my own business today, so that nobody can tell me when I can or cannot go to a pj show.

that is great, I'm hoping that over the next 10 years I'll be able to open my own accounting firm, there is nothing like owning your business!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
    IAmMyself wrote:

I loved this! "I'm indipendant - So No one can tell me when I can see Pearl Jam!"

:lol:

I'm seriously quoting this when I go open my own tax file... And yeah, Mrs.Vedder78, I can see where you're coming from, maybe one day I'll eventually get a goldfish...

...now 10 years ago I would have definitely skipped worked and let it be, as a matter of fact on 1996 I quit my job and told me boss and my BF I was off to follow Peal Jam up the east coast, but I guess all its easier when you don't have children that depend on you.

I don't have children either, so that would make a huge difference. I probably wouldn't have taken as many trips or even risked the business venture if I had kids that depended on me and a steady paycheck.
    Thank god, I realized early in life that I am extremely selfish when it comes to my time, and kids just wouldn't fit into the schedule until after I'm 40 or so. I always planned on adopting so, I'm not on any biological schedule. Yeah, kids change priority~definitely!
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Skip, yeah, been there done that. Quit? Well I told my new boss at the job interview that if they want me then they'll have to let me go on tour when I want. Problem solved.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
    Hinn wrote:
    Skip, yeah, been there done that. Quit? Well I told my new boss at the job interview that if they want me then they'll have to let me go on tour when I want. Problem solved.

I did that once at a previous employer, I can't believe how well that worked!
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    I'd skip in my current situation. If I was an adult with bills to pay and food to put on the table, I'd have to sit and really debate it first, because that's my livelihood.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    Im in high-school and I'd skip school, my dad would probably understand he's a music freak like me.
    Hopefully the tickets would go on sale around third period i hate that class
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    Skip work? YES Luckily my boss is very understanding......she knows I need my fix......
    Quit? NO
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • I write my own schedule.so, neither! :lol:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • I'd never quit. Skipping is no big deal and not usually necessary.

When tickets go on sale (this year will be my first Ten-Club presale, so maybe plans will have to change) I usually make everybody (all five of us) in the office log on to Ticketmaster, and when the clock strikes I yell, "ok everybody, Control R, Control R." They love it when I get tickets because I happy dance all over the office and I usually smile for days after. You should have seen it when I miraculously scored fifth row to EV in NYC - I couldn't focus for the rest of the day and I was beaming for weeks :) I'm hoping for a repeat :D
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    i did quit when they first came back to st. louis is 1998....i wouldnt now since i have to be more responsible but i have taken the day off or switched shifts
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    who wouldn't skip work or school!!!

i will do it every chance i get!!!

PJ_ROCKS OUT at every show :!: :!: :!:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    Not only do I skip work, but I tried to get my daughter, and then my son, to skip work to go to the VA Beach concert with me last summer. Neither of them would, though! Where did I go wrong raising them?!?! I had to take my husband with me (he likes PJ, but is not a fanatic like me -- I always go with my kids), which ended up well because he really enjoyed the concert. My kids went with me to the DC concert, so they made it up to me. And my daughter did go to see Eddie with me in DC as well, although she cut it close because she wouldn't ditch work early!
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • arqarq Posts: 7,977
    I left my country behind just for PJ... :roll:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?