Options

Why UPS for the box set

2»

Comments

• Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Personally I've dealt with UPS in the past and I will avoid them at all cost whenever possible.

Just a thought...

If anyone's interested in doing things in a constructive way, I'd suggest starting a thread which aggregates all of the reasons people can't stand dealing with UPS in a clear and point by point way. No cursing or exaggerations, just real reasons why you HATE doing business with them...

EXAMPLE:
    1. UPS won't leave it on my doorstep or re-deliver to my house/apartment after they have already tried. As a result I have to drive 2 hours to pick up my order. This additional cost comes out of my pocket.

2. The exchange rate (or) brokerage fee was not detailed in the original order agreement. I am incurring an additional out of pocket cost of $XXX CDN (or whatever) because of UPS.

3. etc...

Then, someone compile and edit the responses and e-mail them to 10C with a clear explanation of what it is (the list) and why it was done (to positively influence 10C's future business model for shipping). I'm willing to bet that if 10C received a well organized set of problems with real solutions suggested that they'd genuinely consider choosing an alternative course of action in the future. Santos already made some good headway in reworking things for people. To me that shows they really listen to people.

Just a thought.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,366
    100 Pacer wrote:
    Travelar wrote:
    I seem to remember a couple of years back that something that shipped originated in Canada. I could be full of shit, but I remember a thread talking about the Canadian postmark and then wondering if they had a Canadian warehouse.

While I'm sure I'm just trying to think positive for my Canadian friends, it would be cool if the shipment originated in Canada for you because I think that would kill the brokerage fees.

certain items that 10C mails out in bulk mail are transferred up to a company over the border inside Canada, which in turn then arranges for postage, but that has only applied in cases where the items originally had left 10C's offices and were destined within Canada. for European/International shipments, 10C ships their bulk mail to a European-based company that does the same thing. don't believe 10C has shipped anything via this method into Canada only to have it mailed back inside the States,...

I wasn't referring to things shipping to Europe and the US from Canada... only the Canadian shipments. It looks like they've rectified things now anyway.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,568
    I recieved my crash hoodies today (2 hoodies) and paid over 50 dollars in toll fees.

Welcome to Norway.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,856
    hi,
    We have pulled all of the Canadian UPS ground shipments and have reprocessed them so they will ship UPS Expedited. You will receive new tracking information tomorrow.
    slh
    well....

a story on the porch.....

that had a happy ending....

"VIVA LA CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!" (whatever the fuck that means)

or something like that.....hehehehehehe

enjoy your super duper deluxe edition of 10 everyone...........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Question: How does UPS expedited bypass the brokerage fees that you get from normal UPS?
  • Options
    gus stillsgus stills Posts: 341
    There's a lot of erroneous info in this thread. First of all, UPS makes three attempts on every package. And then they hold onto the package for a week before returning it. In that time you can go pick it up, make alternative delivery arrangements, etc. You can also sign the notice they leave on your porch or leave a note asking to have a neighbor sign for it. This is no different than FedEx or USPS, other than the fact that UPS centers are generally open for pick up much later than the other two. And The UPS Store is simply a shipping counter. Like FedEx/KInkos, it's a former shipping outlet (MailBoxes Etc) that was bought by UPS several years ago. UPS drivers don't initiate their routes or finish them there, so they can't just leave packages there.

As for the brokerage fees, these are taxes and duties assessed for the customs service and collected by the various couriers. Expedited UPS shipments include these charges and streamline the process, as per their website. FedEx does the same thing. In either case, the brokerage fees only apply to ground packages. If you ship them expedited with either company, the brokerage fees should be waived, and they should arrive much more quickly to boot. Hope that helps!

I'm psyched that the Tenclub is using UPS again. Our local FedEx counter closes at five, which makes it impossible to pick up ANYTHING without leaving work early. And my mail guy is awesome, but I like the UPS tracking info online a helluva lot better than what I get from USPS, and I've had two posters show up damaged USPS over the years.

So Santos, thanks for making the change!!!! I've been waiting for you guys to go back to UPS for years! BTW I talked to my UPS guy yesterday and made arrangements to meet up with him to grab my super deluxe set, can't wait!!!
    --J
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,604
    gus stills wrote:
    There's a lot of erroneous info in this thread. First of all, UPS makes three attempts on every package. And then they hold onto the package for a week before returning it. In that time you can go pick it up, make alternative delivery arrangements, etc. You can also sign the notice they leave on your porch or leave a note asking to have a neighbor sign for it. This is no different than FedEx or USPS, other than the fact that UPS centers are generally open for pick up much later than the other two. And The UPS Store is simply a shipping counter. Like FedEx/KInkos, it's a former shipping outlet (MailBoxes Etc) that was bought by UPS several years ago. UPS drivers don't initiate their routes or finish them there, so they can't just leave packages there.

As for the brokerage fees, these are taxes and duties assessed for the customs service and collected by the various couriers. Expedited UPS shipments include these charges and streamline the process, as per their website. FedEx does the same thing. In either case, the brokerage fees only apply to ground packages. If you ship them expedited with either company, the brokerage fees should be waived, and they should arrive much more quickly to boot. Hope that helps!

the UPS brokerage fee is assessed, according to UPS, to cover the costs of facilitating the customs clearance process and all the paperwork associated with said process, as well as paying the respective Border Services Agency the required taxes and duties assessed on any given import which has been flagged for taxes and duties. the brokerage fee is paid in addition to the taxes and duties levied,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    hi,
    We have pulled all of the Canadian UPS ground shipments and have reprocessed them so they will ship UPS Expedited. You will receive new tracking information tomorrow.
    slh

Was wondering why I got 2 emails with tracking info and one of the numbers had been stopped..

Thanks
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Just checked my tracking. It arrived in Koln Germany half hour ago.

But I've also been given a new rescheduled delivery date of the 23rd.
    It was supposed to be the 20th. BOO!!!
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049

You will get yours in Germany, before I get mine in New York. Don't complain.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

Sir yes sir.

Im in Ireland though.
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    jmkjmk Posts: 425
    edited March 2009
    gus stills wrote:

--J

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean when you said that with the expedited service the brokerage fees should be waived. Don't you Canadians have to pay the tax to the Canadian UPS + their brokerage fee now when Ten Club changed the UPS service to expedited. Hope you don't mind me asking these questions... Probably most of us international fans have these same problems... I noticed that mine is sent as expedited and has arrived in Germany.

Should've but it from my local record store rather than Ten Club. My record store has it for 146 euros ($191) http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/pearl ... ette_book/
    and they also give 17 euros off when you've bought anything for 170 euros. (They give you a stamp off every purchase over 17 euros and when you have 10 stamps you get 17 euros of, so basically it's almost 10 % off of everything you buy).

If the box would have been sent by USPS (normal mail) it would taken a bit longer but it wouldn't necessary been caught in the customs as one Canadian guy stated earlier as they randomly check the value at the customs.

I hope as many of us international fans get the signed box sets as this will be such an expensive box set for us...

Hopefully someone can explain these UPS services easily for me...
    Post edited by jmk on
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

Sir yes sir.

Im in Ireland though.
    I apologize for being rude. I am just a little bummed that people in Europe, Australia and Canada are going to get this thing before some of us in the states. It just doesn't make sense to me. Here is what I have been looking at for almost 2 days.

REDMOND,
    WA, US 03/17/2009 12:01 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    jmk wrote:
    I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean when you said that with the expedited service the brokerage fees should be waived. Don't you Canadians have to pay the tax to the Canadian UPS + their brokerage fee now when Ten Club changed the UPS service to expedited.
    Customs charges for merchandise imported to Canada by a consumer, work like this:

1. If the value of the item(s) is $60 or less, there is no charge. The caveat here is that the "value" is the amount reported by exported (seller) when shipping and is often not the what was actually paid for the merchandise. It always helps when you buy a poster for say $100 and the value declared is $5 :)

2. If the value is above $60, we get charged tax on the item(s) as though we had bought the item in the province we reside. For Ontario, total sales taxes ate 13%. So, for the Ten Deluxe set, I would get charged $140 (assuming the 10C declares the value at $140US) x the exchange rate (say $1.28) x 13% = about $23.

3. There are no further charges on regular shipments through USPS. But, if shipped through FedEX or UPS, we get charged a "brokerage fee" by the shipping company, which is essentially a fee to them for having to broker the the fees in (2) above. So, when they clear the item through customs, they pay the tax on my behalf and fill out the applicable paperwork for me to get the item in to Canada. They generally charge around $40 for that. If UPS Expedited service is used, this $40 fee is not charged by UPS.

Hope that helps.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    I joked about UPS in another thread today but it's really no joke.

My problem with UPS is last summer I waited on a package, checked the tracking, it had arrived, I didn't get it. I freaked out, looked all around my house for it, called UPS, was told it was delivered so there. Four days later my neighbor brought it to me.

Two months later it happened again only this time the neighbor brought it to me that same day. Same house number different street. TWICE. I did complain to UPS and as I was talking with the lady I decided the easiest way to avoid this in the future is not to do business with them.

So now I bummed, when I do get money for the set I won't be able to order it because UPS will screw me again. I've never had a problem with USPS.
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Oh my, UPS is killing our planet. I just checked my tracker and today they flew my package from Seattle to Louisville and then sent it back to Seattle.
  • Options
    superfuzz30superfuzz30 Posts: 369
    Just glad I have a UPS friend...cause I know it will get to my local ups station Friday, but not go out for del till Monday...but I can give him and call and he can let me get it as soon as it gets in Friday! Sweeeeeet!
  • Options
    jmkjmk Posts: 425
    edited March 2009
    BeerBaron wrote:
    jmk wrote:
    I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean when you said that with the expedited service the brokerage fees should be waived. Don't you Canadians have to pay the tax to the Canadian UPS + their brokerage fee now when Ten Club changed the UPS service to expedited.

Customs charges for merchandise imported to Canada by a consumer, work like this:

1. If the value of the item(s) is $60 or less, there is no charge. The caveat here is that the "value" is the amount reported by exported (seller) when shipping and is often not the what was actually paid for the merchandise. It always helps when you buy a poster for say $100 and the value declared is $5 :)

2. If the value is above $60, we get charged tax on the item(s) as though we had bought the item in the province we reside. For Ontario, total sales taxes ate 13%. So, for the Ten Deluxe set, I would get charged $140 (assuming the 10C declares the value at $140US) x the exchange rate (say $1.28) x 13% = about $23.

3. There are no further charges on regular shipments through USPS. But, if shipped through FedEX or UPS, we get charged a "brokerage fee" by the shipping company, which is essentially a fee to them for having to broker the the fees in (2) above. So, when they clear the item through customs, they pay the tax on my behalf and fill out the applicable paperwork for me to get the item in to Canada. They generally charge around $40 for that. If UPS Expedited service is used, this $40 fee is not charged by UPS.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the answer. Now I understood the way it works in Canada but unfortunately for me, who live in Finland the UPS polices aren't the same here.

With USPS expedited we have to pay a brokerage fee of 11,50 euros which is 15 USD, so that they clear it in the customs and do the paperwork and send me the bill of taxes which is 22% of the item+shipping charges.

I think Ten Club should have paid this 11,50 euros fee to UPS. With a shipping charge of 50 dollars I think they'd afford it... :roll:
    Post edited by jmk on
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    I apologize for being rude. I am just a little bummed that people in Europe, Australia and Canada are going to get this thing before some of us in the states. It just doesn't make sense to me. Here is what I have been looking at for almost 2 days.

REDMOND,
    WA, US 03/17/2009 12:01 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN[/quote]

I might understand your complaint if you spent $50 on shipping like us.
    No sympathy here.
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,737
    yeah no sympathy here also....historically things have got to Europe 4 weeks later

and their updates are not updating becuase its travelling over land so will not pdate till delivery....
  • Options

REDMOND,
    WA, US 03/17/2009 12:01 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

I might understand your complaint if you spent $50 on shipping like us.
    No sympathy here.

Yeah, you're right I didn't pay $50. However, if given the opportunity to pay for USPS express mail or something other than 8 or 9 days of ground transport, I certainly would have. This is the first time that 10c did not use USPS for their shipments and it resulted in an unusually long time in transit. It was just unexpected and created disappointment for me.

I am glad our PJ brothers and sisters around the world will have theirs soon and I hope they enjoy them, I know I will when I get mine next week.
  • Options
    Thats the spirit PJ_Lukin.
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)