pretenders

PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,013
edited March 2009 in Other Music
im finally starting to diversify my music collection by buying stuff from artist i dont own rather than buying an entire collection. so i just bought pretenders first album cause ive always liked chrissie's voice and wow this album is great. pretenders have been one of those bands ive wanted to check out for years but every time i would just buy another who album or some other band i own like 5 cds from.

but this album really flows nicely. the more i listen to it the more i like it. ive listened to this album probably like 10 times already today and i havent even really started picking out favorites, its just too solid still to pick it apart. then there is the second disc of demos and stuff, havent even put that one in yet.

so any other fans here? what other albums should i check out next, or just go in order?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I like alot of their songs. Truthfully though, I didn't really pay that much attention until I saw them live. They opened for the who back in 06. They played the songs I knew (the hits) and then some other popular ones I didn't know. They were pretty good live... they are def worth checking out, I was mainly amped up for the who. I wanted to see the pretenders do a headline show last weekend here, but it was way too expensive for my poor budget right now. :(
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    I hadn't thought about or listened to The Pretenders for quite awhile.  But then the other night I watched the move "Reign Over Me" (that features Pearl Jam doing The Who's  "Reign O'er Me" during the credits) and when The Pretenders version of "Stop Sobbing" came on (perfectly timed in the film) I remembered why I liked this band so much.  Great stuff.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,212
    People: I’m sitting at Ohana, and Chrissie Hynde is blowing my mind.

SHE IS 72 YEARS OLD. 72!! She sounds absolutely amazing. I wasn’t a big Pretenders fan, but she’s absolutely awe-inspiring.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    edited October 2023

SHE IS 72 YEARS OLD. 72!! She sounds absolutely amazing. I wasn’t a big Pretenders fan, but she’s absolutely awe-inspiring.

72?  Same as me?  No way!  She's making me look baaaaad! haha!
    That's awesome! I'm stoked to hear she is still kickin' it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

@brianlux if I figure out how to upload video from my phone to the message board, I'll share some.

That was one of the best live shows we've seen. The band (those aren't the original members, I'm pretty sure) sounded great and she was awesome. Like I said, I wasn't all that into them when I was young, but now I have to admit the songs are great -- still  sound great -- and I kind of want to be her when I grow up.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    brianlux said:

@brianlux if I figure out how to upload video from my phone to the message board, I'll share some.

That was one of the best live shows we've seen. The band (those aren't the original members, I'm pretty sure) sounded great and she was awesome. Like I said, I wasn't all that into them when I was young, but now I have to admit the songs are great -- still  sound great -- and I kind of want to be her when I grow up.

That would be great, thanks!
    I know that feeling of discovering for yourself a band or artist that has been around a while.  That's so cool that you're into Chrissie and The Pretenders!

Hey Brian, while I try to figure that out, here’s a clip from Glastonbury this summer with Johnny Marr and Dave Grohl;

https://youtu.be/3IMwmTLkq1g?si=xPAhqimPbG4FWzQs
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    brianlux said:

This is a band that I can't believe I haven't seen yet. I can't say I know much about their catalog other than what was on the radio/MTV (which they were on constantly) but they had some big hits that I bet do sound great live.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I can't figure out how to upload here from my phone; I can share to Instagram of course, but not here. So I recommend checking out YouTube, some good videos have been shared there:

-- There are many more; this was such a great set!
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,432
    Looking forward to seeing them open for the Foo Fighters next year.