Options

*CLOSED* PJ NCAA March Madness Pool - Win PJ Prizes

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
edited May 2009 in The Porch
EDIT: I will be updating with the package sent/received information as it comes in.

After a very successful Super Bowl pool (see the thread here: http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 4#p2167264), I have decided to run another pool for the upcoming NCAA tournament. This is one of the great sporting events of the year and it presents an exciting opportunity for another PJ pool.

The game this time will work a lot of differently. Rather than a board that will be based on the winning score, this time around I want to run a traditional NCAA Bracket pool. That means that each participant will have to fill out a tournament bracket and pick who they think will win each round of games. We will be using Yahoo!s "Tournament Pick 'em" game to conduct our pool. That means that each participant will need to have a Yahoo e-mail address (or create a Yahoo address -- it's free) in order to participate.

I have already created a private group at Yahoo and will provide the league ID and password (via PM) upon completion of the participant list for our pool.

The rules are pretty simple. On Sunday, March 15 the brackets/seedings will be announced. Between that time and the time the first tournament game is played (on Thursday, March 19), each participant will need to fill out their bracket on the Yahoo Pick 'Em site. Yahoo will then track how each participant fares as the games are played. We will use a basic scoring system in which every team picked correctly in the first round earns 1 point, each winning team picked correctly in the second round earns 2 points, each winning third round team earns 3 points, etc., up until the final, in which the having picked the winning team will earn the participant 6 points. Of course, all brackets must be filled out in full before the 17th, so the challenge is to have correctly identified at least one of the two teams in the Finals so that you at least have a shot at those 6 points when the game is played.

To make this a Pearl Jam board, the cost of playing will not be money, but rather a Pearl Jam 2000, 2003, or 2008 official bootleg -- or a PJ item of greater or equal value (please, please, please, no burned copies!!). So, if you are the winner, every other participant will have to send you the Pearl Jam bootleg they pledge in this thread.

Here are some other rules for the game:

1. You must be 18 or over to play!

2. In the case of a tie, winners will split the prizes. Each winner will take turns selecting the item from the list that he/she wants until all have been selected.

3. You MUST pledge an OFFICIAL PJ bootleg when you sign up. That means no burned copies; I want to make this worthwhile for us collectors! If you don't have any OFFICIAL PJ boots, you can offer something of equal or greater value (a poster, vinyl, etc.), and we can collectively decide whether to let you in or not.

Once somebody has pledged a specific boot, please do not repeat the same show. I would prefer that whoever wins gets a variety of different boots, not a number of the same ones.

4. If you enter, you MUST pay up if you lose. As you all know, building a reputation as a reliable person is important on this board -- enough said. Please be committed to sending the boot you pledge to the winner within a week after the game ends.

5. Participants must send me their e-mail and the address that they want their prizes to be sent if they win BEFORE the tournament begins. This is simply to ensure that all members are committed to following through with their pledge. I will be in charge of distributing the winner's address to the other participants when the game is over.

8. Sign-ups for the game will end on Saturday, 3/14 or when 25 people sign up (whichever happens first).

If anyone has any problems with these rules, or anything that's need to be added, please let me know.

Here are a list of the participants (will be updated as people sign up):

1. walkunafraid -- Immagine in Cornice new/sealed DVD package RECEIVED
2. mfc2006 -- New York 7/8/03 (official boot) package RECEIVED
3. 2-feign-reluctance -- Virginia Beach 2000 (official boot) package RECEIVED
4. Enkidu -- Philly '05 (poster) package RECEIVED
5. TwistedThoughts -- Glasgow, Scotland 6/3/00 (official boot) package RECEIVED
6. PJ Fan est. 1990 -- Mansfield 7/11/03 (official boot) package RECEIVED
7. jaamfaan -- Hamburg, Germany 6/26/00 package RECEIVED
8. NoCode416 -- stockholm, sweden. 6.28.2000 (official boot) package RECEIVED
9. URthekey -- New York 6/24/2008 (official boot) package RECEIVED
10. PJBuckeye -- Cincinnati 2000 (official boot) package RECEIVED
11. AtlantaJammer -- Thunder Bay, ON 05 (poster) WINNER!
12. Cantkeepmedown -- 6/16/08 Columbia (official boot) package RECEIVED
13. jching -- Uniondale, NY 4-30-03 (official boot) package RECEIVED
14. G8trsrgods1 -- Tokyo 2003 (official boot) package RECEIVED
15. LiteTheMatch -- "All the Way" sealed CD single package RECEIVED
16. ringo -- Chicago 10/9/2000 (official boot) package RECEIVED
17. chris47 -- 2007 10C Christmas Vinyl package RECEIVED

If you are interested in joing the board, please post in this thread and indicate which official boot (or other PJ item) you will be putting in to the pot. Also, please PM me your e-mail address and the mailing address that you want your prizes to be sent in case you are the winner as soon as possible. I will be updating the list above as boots and names are added.

Thanks.
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2009
    I will be the first to pledge my participation in the pool. I'm at work right now but I will list the boot I want to pledge when I get home this evening. :D

Edit: After careful consideration I am pledging the Milan, Italy 6/22/2000 boot.
    Post edited by walkunafraid on

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,403
    count me in! let me take a look @ my boots when i get home tonight! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    what if i don't have an official bootleg
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    pg305420 wrote:
    what if i don't have an official bootleg

As it states in Rule #3:

"3. You MUST pledge an OFFICIAL PJ bootleg when you sign up. That means no burned copies; I want to make this worthwhile for us collectors! If you don't have any OFFICIAL PJ boots, you can offer something of equal or greater value (a poster, vinyl, etc.), and we can collectively decide whether to let you in or not."

• Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    what if i have nothing significant to other 10c users but still want in
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    pg305420 wrote:
    what if i have nothing significant to other 10c users but still want in

Sorry, a pool requires you to give something in order for you to have a chance to win something.

• Options
    how can i get my hands on an '00 or '03 official boot when i got none? or anything else of greater or equal value? anyone have any suggestions i could buy off of the goods section for me to put in?

or maybe i can put in anything off of the goods section that the winner so desires (obviously not the re-release cause that's a little pricey)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    how can i get my hands on an '00 or '03 official boot when i got none? or anything else of greater or equal value? anyone have any suggestions i could buy off of the goods section for me to put in?

or maybe i can put in anything off of the goods section that the winner so desires (obviously not the re-release cause that's a little pricey)

You can find 2000/03 boots pretty easily on eBay. I've also found a ton at independent record stores! :D

I also don't have a problem with 2006 boots. :)

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I'm so excited you're doing this. I'll post tomorrow on what I'll pledge. Thanks for doing this.
  • Options
    Thanks for doing this. Count me in for Glasgow, Scotland (6/3/00).
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention...major props to mfc2006 who pushed me to start this game up and helped out with the planning!

• Options
    Dissident67Dissident67 Posts: 565
    i am interested but was wondering do the bootlegs need to be sealed or just in good condition?
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    i am interested but was wondering do the bootlegs need to be sealed or just in good condition?

The bootlegs do NOT need to be sealed. Most people offer up ones that are opened and used.

Yes, they do just need to be in good condition.

• Options
    actually i may have state college...but i'm not sure on the condition (it may be scratched) or whether or not i have the album cover cause i have the official boot in a CD case
  • Options
    ok so i've learned 2 things...i need to learn to keep track of my CD's...especially PJ CD's and also i have a Mansfield 7/11/03 boot WITH the cover

i did find state college but i couldn't find the cover...just the discs...so if in fact someone would rather have that then i'll be willing to pledge...

so my official pledge is Mansfield 7/11/03 with the option of getting state college instead but beware it will be in sleeves and no cover but i assure you it is the official boot and not a burned disc

and to avoid confusion Mansfield does have a cover
  • Options
    NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    i'm in.

stockholm, sweden. 6.28.2000
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    ok so i've learned 2 things...i need to learn to keep track of my CD's...especially PJ CD's and also i have a Mansfield 7/11/03 boot WITH the cover

i did find state college but i couldn't find the cover...just the discs...so if in fact someone would rather have that then i'll be willing to pledge...

so my official pledge is Mansfield 7/11/03 with the option of getting state college instead but beware it will be in sleeves and no cover but i assure you it is the official boot and not a burned disc

I was involved in the Superbowl pool a couple months ago and we were able to have 2008 boots to pledge. I'm not saying it's good here cause it's walkunafraid's contest, but I'm sure he'd be cool with it. you can still get them in the goods section.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,982
    I'm in too.
    I'll go through my boots when I am not at work and post then.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    Since there were no official bootlegs for 2005 i can pledge Borgata 2 and Philly 05 boots but once again they'd have to be 10C mp3s and thus burned copies
    i dont have duplicates of my official boots
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    actually i may have state college...but i'm not sure on the condition (it may be scratched) or whether or not i have the album cover cause i have the official boot in a CD case

Please don't pledge any scratched boots or boots without the original album cover.

• Options
    edited March 2009

I was involved in the Superbowl pool a couple months ago and we were able to have 2008 boots to pledge. I'm not saying it's good here cause it's walkunafraid's contest, but I'm sure he'd be cool with it. you can still get them in the goods section.

Yep, 2008 boots are cool too!

I'll update the original post to indicate that.

And I'd MUCH rather have a unique 2008 boot than a boot that everybody already owns...

• Options
    Since there were no official bootlegs for 2005 i can pledge Borgata 2 and Philly 05 boots but once again they'd have to be 10C mp3s and thus burned copies
    i dont have duplicates of my official boots

As stated in the original thread, NO BURNED COPIES.

• Options
    i'm not...i said i'm putting in Mansfield 7/11/03 sry i forgot to quote the scratched disc...thats what this was a reply to
  • Options
    i'm not...i said i'm putting in Mansfield 7/11/03 sry i forgot to quote the scratched disc...thats what this was a reply to

No worries, I had simply read and replied to your first post about the scratched State College disc before I saw that you had posted another pledge on the next page of this thread.

• Options

No worries, I had simply read and replied to your first post about the scratched State College disc before I saw that you had posted another pledge on the next page of this thread.

no worries...just just trying to make sure you saw i was pledging the mansfield...i can't wait for this contest...GO UCONN!
  • Options
    1. walkunafraid -- Milan, Italy 6/22/2000 (official boot) OR Immagine in Cornice new/sealed DVD (winner's choice)
    2. mfc2006 -- New York 7/8/03 (official boot)
    3. 2-feign-reluctance -- Virginia Beach 2000 (official boot)
    4. Enkidu -- pledge pending
    5. TwistedThoughts -- Glasgow, Scotland 6/3/00 (official boot)
    6. PJ Fan est. 1990 -- State College 7/11/03 (official boot)
    7. jaamfaan -- pledge pending
    8. NoCode416 -- stockholm, sweden. 6.28.2000 (official boot)

Thanks.

Sorry if i was unclear, i pledged Mansfield 7/11/03. I understand how you could have been confused. my bad
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I have a PJ Philly '05 poster. Does that count?

And reading about all these boots makes me want to go on eBay and buy tons of them.
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    I have a PJ Philly '05 poster. Does that count?

And reading about all these boots makes me want to go on eBay and buy tons of them.

For sure! You're in. :D

• Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,681
    Another fan based contest.... count me in!

I will pledge the 6/24/2008 MSG boot.
  • Options
    URthekey wrote:
    Another fan based contest.... count me in!

I will pledge the 6/24/2008 MSG boot.

If you win again you're going to need to buy a bigger house to hold all your PJ stuff. :D