Anyone Work in a Restaurant?

Comments

• CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Commy wrote:
    the world runs on the back of the working class. I've been very consistent with that idea. whenever I see class inequality I will point it out. people tend to take things for granted, its just that in my case I never let that happen. the more I busted my ass the better they got tipped in many cases. and they all realize dit. it was the new servers and cooks that we had problems with.

you and I just worked in different restaurants. me and everyone apparently. this was as high end as it gets. our chef at the time cooked for the james beard foundation every year, still does, and was/is good friends with a lot of seattle pro athletes. nothing like gary peyton coming back to the kitchen to give us props. point is there was no room to fuck up, not at that level. whiny little servers coming to the line were about the 10 millionth thing on our minds, and they bitched like it was highschool, kind of sounding like you do now.

and I never said we didn't hang out or go out after work. servers, and cooks. we all got along. I can't tell you how many days I worked with no sleep the night before. w e had a blast. its just that during service it was a different environment. you couldn't fuck up at that level and be there for long.

I went on to other restaurants and had a great time, especially with the servers, had a great few years at a restaurant a few blocks from the tractor in ballard, we'd go there every week. I met matt cameron there one night. but whenever people are dropping $1k on a fucking food bill there's no time to be chill, or relaxed or not stressed- everything has to be perfect.

I see... and nobody in the kitchen ever made a mistake, only the servers eh? There was no pressure on them, being the face of the restaurant and having to deal face to face with people dropping $1000 on a meal and expecting the moon for it? Given how you think wealthy people like that act towards the poor and menial workers... how do you think they treated those servers out there eh?

But you're right, they didn't have a hard job at all. All they did was carry food around, I'm sure those people dropping a grand didn't expect... you know... service or anything. You were the only one working in there. My God, I'm going to include you in my prayers tonight and thank lord Jesus that we have wonderful people like you to shoulder the burdens the rest of us lazy working classes can't.

If the servers sounded like me, maybe they were responding to your self-righteous attitude, not whining. You want a Nobel Prize or something? You worked in a fucking restaurant grilling food. I don't care how high end it was or how much "props" you got from Gary Payton and other super-rich-from-not-working-that-hard-athletes (funny how despite your disdain for the wealthy you have a lot of celeb hero worship going on here). Maybe you had problems with servers because they didn't enjoy being treated the way Ford CEO's treat their line workers.

I said before I'm sure its shitty out front. which is why I worked the line.

I'm done with this.

peace.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Commy wrote:
    the more I busted my ass the better they got tipped in many cases. and they all realize dit. it was the new servers and cooks that we had problems with.

I don't think I've ever felt like I got a better tip because the cook was nice enough to do his or her job...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Commy wrote:

I'm done with this.

peace.

Then perhaps you might give them the same kind of respect and consideration that you demand from them.

But I'm willing to forgive all if you can cook me the thing in the thread I just made.
    milarso wrote:
    Commy wrote:
    the more I busted my ass the better they got tipped in many cases. and they all realize dit. it was the new servers and cooks that we had problems with.

I don't think I've ever felt like I got a better tip because the cook was nice enough to do his or her job...
    fair enough. it wasn't lack of trying. for me personally the servers would track me down whenever it was a special occasion. wherI was on the line they would ask me to make whatever for them...one guy handed me an engagement ring to create a desert around, it was the center piece. shit like that. its different in every case, but in this one restaurant the cooks ran the show.

so yeah, others could do it, and did do it, but some could do it better than others. better presentation. or if it was an hour after we closed, not everyone would open the line to cook a steak or whatever. no food =no tip.
    Commy wrote:

I'm done with this.

peace.

Then perhaps you might give them the same kind of respect and consideration that you demand from them.

But I'm willing to forgive all if you can cook me the thing in the thread I just made.
    haha. no way man. I want too but I don't want to kill anyone.
  • mfc and whoprincess - thanks! i'm pretty pumped. i got this job only 11 days after getting fired.

commy and soulsinging - take it easy. no need to argue, it's an internet message board. it's easy to take what someone says the wrong way and have things get blown out of proportion. you make yourself look like a jerk when you drag out a silly argument, i learned that all too well.

we are all pearl jam fans here; we're on the same side!
  • The cooks are great. Stay on their good side, sometimes you get free food out of the deal. :) or at least a drink after shift.
    Agreed... rhinos ALWAYS be nice to the chef's... always. I've been lucky that the ones I worked with were all nice anyway and if I did a favour for them here and there, well it's STEAK for lunch :mrgreen: whilst everyone else would have to eat the shitty canteen food :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • The cooks are great. Stay on their good side, sometimes you get free food out of the deal. :) or at least a drink after shift.
    Agreed... rhinos ALWAYS be nice to the chef's... always. I've been lucky that the ones I worked with were all nice anyway and if I did a favour for them here and there, well it's STEAK for lunch :mrgreen: whilst everyone else would have to eat the shitty canteen food :D

Well among other things, I will be working in the kitchen. I might even be a chef at some point.

So, I'll be sure and be nice to myself. :D
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Congratulations Music! You gonna let us in on the secret location now?
  • scb wrote:
    Congratulations Music! You gonna let us in on the secret location now?

In due time, Stephanie. In due time. :D
  • Okay, it's Applebee's.
  • i only skimmed the last five pages, so i hope my advice isn't a repeat of what's already been said. i also sincerely hope it wasn't a bunch of people saying things like "yeah, i was in a restaurant for like a month. then i found an actual CAREER." some people on here are career restaurant workers and make a damn good living and enjoy what they do. so no hatin' people! it takes all kinds. ;)

anyWHO, back to my point. working in a restaurant is its' own world, which you will learn soon enough. hard work gets noticed. being friendly, but not an ass-kisser, and being immune to gossip spreading will get you far. your coworkers will want to vent, and being a sympathetic ear is a plus. quite soon you will want to vent as well and nothing is as satisfying as saying "douche bag alert, table 3", and having your fellow coworker smile knowingly and have your back.
    read "kitchen confidential" by anthony bourdain. it deals mainly with the world of the kitchen staff and refers to most front of the house staff as "scum" (ahem), but i reccomend it because it lays out the feeling of being part of a team of fellow workers, trying to get through a busy friday night because you're all in it TOGETHER. then afterwards you all pat each other on the back and retell the highlights of the night over beers. its great, but not for everyone. so have fun!
    in case you wanted to know, i'm 25, just graduated, and i'm a server. been one since i was 18, from denny's to fine dining. if you wanna hear some crazy ass stories or need any advice, pm me. cheers! :D
    Okay, it's Applebee's.

Yea! Now if I'm ever in an Applebee's in [wherever you live] I'll keep my eye out for you. :D

Well among other things, I will be working in the kitchen. I might even be a chef at some point.

So, I'll be sure and be nice to myself. :D
    i have always wanted to go to chef school....

just to do it.....

and congrats on your new job....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • have always wanted to go to chef school....

just to do it.....

and congrats on your new job....

thank you.

i start the day after tomorrow. starting to get a little excited.
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    jammergirl wrote:
    read "kitchen confidential" by anthony bourdain. it deals mainly with the world of the kitchen staff and refers to most front of the house staff as "scum" (ahem), but i reccomend it because it lays out the feeling of being part of a team of fellow workers, trying to get through a busy friday night because you're all in it TOGETHER. then afterwards you all pat each other on the back and retell the highlights of the night over beers. its great, but not for everyone. so have fun!

+1
    Great book.
    Anthony Bourdain is THE SHIT.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • jammergirl wrote:

+1
    Great book.
    Anthony Bourdain is THE SHIT.

Yeah...I went to the bookstore last night to check it out. Seems okay...maybe I'll pick it up one day soon, I dunno.
  • **Update**

Just had my first shift as a host.

It was easy! Trained by watching somebody else do it for a while then I was seating people myself. Feel like I got the hang of it pretty quick. Just gotta get used to seating by the rotation, seems a little tough to get it just right.

As far as I know I will be a host, dishwasher and expo...so all 3. But so far just host...will be training as a host all week for the first week.

Been a dishwasher before so that should be fine. Expo I don't really know but I'm down to do anything.

So yeah, good stuff all around!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    **Update**

It was easy! Trained by watching somebody else do it for a while then I was seating people myself. Feel like I got the hang of it pretty quick. Just gotta get used to seating by the rotation, seems a little tough to get it just right.

As far as I know I will be a host, dishwasher and expo...so all 3. But so far just host...will be training as a host all week for the first week.

Been a dishwasher before so that should be fine. Expo I don't really know but I'm down to do anything.

Hosting is comparatively easy... until Fri/Sat night when there's a long wait and people start flipping out on you.

Expo has to be the worst job... it's too easy to piss off both the servers AND the cooks ;)
  • **Update**

Hosting is comparatively easy... until Fri/Sat night when there's a long wait and people start flipping out on you.

Expo has to be the worst job... it's too easy to piss off both the servers AND the cooks ;)

Thanks for the cheerful words.
    **Update**

What's expo? :?
  • scb wrote:
    **Update**

What's expo? :?

Haha, it's coordinating the dishes that are going out between the cooks and servers. Taking dish from cook when it's done, making sure it's presentable, food items are properly placed, any special requests taken care of (i.e. no tomato or bbq sauce on the side)...then given to server to be served to guest. Apparently it's a stressful position although I can't really see that too much now...but I haven't done it yet.
    Haha, it's coordinating the dishes that are going out between the cooks and servers. Taking dish from cook when it's done, making sure it's presentable, food items are properly placed, any special requests taken care of (i.e. no tomato or bbq sauce on the side)...then given to server to be served to guest. Apparently it's a stressful position although I can't really see that too much now...but I haven't done it yet.

Gotcha! Keep us posted on how that goes. :)
  • At least I'm not the only one who didn't know what expo meant. :oops:
    I've learned a lot from this thread! I've always had a lot of respect for people who worked in restaurants and I have even more now. :)

Glad the job is off to a good start! :)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    i used to work for tgi fridays as a server for like 1 week. i couldnt pull off the fake pep
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    davidtrios wrote:
    i used to work for tgi fridays as a server for like 1 week. i couldnt pull off the fake pep

I worked in restaurants for years, mostly kitchen though.. towards the end, I became a waiter (worked for Pete Rose) when I got to south florida, and that lasted only a few months. Worst job I've ever had. I liked washing dishes better than being a waiter.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    davidtrios wrote:

I worked in restaurants for years, mostly kitchen though.. towards the end, I became a waiter (worked for Pete Rose) when I got to south florida, and that lasted only a few months. Worst job I've ever had. I liked washing dishes better than being a waiter.

pete rose eh?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    davidtrios wrote:

Did you have enough flair?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    davidtrios wrote:
    davidtrios wrote:

pete rose eh?

Yeah, total toolbag. I met him twice. He was not very nice. The day I walked into his restaurant for in interview, he mistook me for an interviewer who was running late. I walked into the office with a briefcase and wearing a tie... he actually started to yell at me before even asking who I was. Then the actual interviewer walked in behind me seconds later, with a briefcase and a tie, and Pete Rose just started yelling at him that he was late and other bullshit. I'm left standing there by myself, wondering why he was so rude. his restaurant sucked too. Closed down a year later..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    No. Sounds dumb. Pfft.