Anyone Work in a Restaurant?

Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
edited March 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Have no fear, Music For Rhinos is here! You may remember me from my legendary, now-locked thread, "I Was Unfairly Fired Today." :D

I'm here today to tell you I'm back and better than ever!

Got a job interview tomorrow at a corporate American restaurant chain which shall remain nameless for the time being, at least until I know if I get the job.

This comes exactly 9 days after being fired. Not bad, with today's economy.

Does anyone here work in a restaurant? Do you like it? What is it like working there and if hired, what can I expect as far as work environment?

My heartfelt thanks goes out to all of you at this miraculous time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• good luck in the interview tomorrow... do some research on the company cos they're likely to ask 'what do you know about us' and 'not much' isn't an answer :mrgreen: SMILE and be polite and go on about how great you are. Do NOT bitch about your last employer and/or co-workers and simply say that it was temporary work or something and they had to let someone go cos of the economy.

Just relax and have a couple of questions ready for the when they say 'is there anything you'd like to ask' like maybe 'is there an opportunity for advancement within the company' or 'how much training will be provided' do NOT ask about salary or holiday. Don't chew gum and turn off your phone before you go in :D but good luck though and just enjoy it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    i worked in a restaurant when i went off to school. i started as a server (bad idea), but once they saw how clumsy i was when i spilled a full tray of drinks on a customer, they moved me to the kitchen as a cook. (good idea) the only thing that i can say is be prepared to stay late if you are closing, as sidework can be a bitch!

it was ok. i made some good friends there that i still have to this day. but i was happy when i got another job. 8-) not saying that your experience will be bad at all---best of luck w/ the interview & (hopefully) the job!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I work at a sports bar that's half restaurant and half bar. I love working there, the money can range from 30$ a night to 200$ a night. As long as you have a group of people that you work with that you like and get a long with it's awesome working at a restaurant. I want to become a bartender, and maybe own my own bar someday.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I used to work for a chain like that called Max & Erma's. I waited tables, bussed, hosted, and worked carryout at various times. It was ok. Fun coworkers and lots of partying were a plus. You usually have some hot coworkers too... I met the love of my life working there. Got to be careful though. It was really awkward and painful working with her in the restaurant after she'd left me for another guy.

I had to stop waiting tables when I quit smoking pot though... I wanted to kill too many customers. I actually made more money bussing tables... people tip for shit in places like that. I also credit working in a place like that for my current attitude. It made me lose all faith in human evolution or decency and realize that we're all just a bunch of whiny, selfish, pieces of shit carving out meaningless and pathetic lives. Waiting tables makes you realize that most people are petty and worthless human beings, regardless of class, race, or whatever.

So that's kinda the downside of the industry.
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Former restaurant bartender/server/hostess here. Red Lobster for 2.5 years before I finally moved on to a more career oriented job this fall.
    It was a good place to work. Some corporate bullshit but lots of good people. Very young environment, lots of other college kids..but also some older "lifers" we would call them.
    We worked hard, we played hard. Working in a restaurant made it pretty easy to get laid...haha
    Sure, there was some drama (usually involving who was screwing who at the time) but good times for sure.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    I do and I love it.
    It's a great way to make some cash and, in my case, kind of tread water until something better comes along.
    Be prepared to do a lot of partying and hanging with your coworkers. Because we have odd hours compared to most of the working world (working mostly in the afternoon/evening leaves mornings wide open for staying up way late and sleeping in...) we tend to party pretty much every night.
    Also- if you are a server, prepare to listen to people bitch about everything. Customers bitch, managers bitch other servers and cooks bitch.. it's kind of never ending, Try to keep a laid back attitude and you'll be fine.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Cool. So it's kind of like the movie, "Waiting" ? I love that movie.

Soulsinging - That's cool. I'm actually quite familiar with Max & Erma's. A lot of my friends from high school work/have worked there. And there's one really close to where I live that I actually have an application turned into right now (not where my interview is though).
    Former restaurant bartender/server/hostess here. Red Lobster for 2.5 years before I finally moved on to a more career oriented job this fall.
    It was a good place to work. Some corporate bullshit but lots of good people. Very young environment, lots of other college kids..but also some older "lifers" we would call them.
    We worked hard, we played hard. Working in a restaurant made it pretty easy to get laid...haha
    Sure, there was some drama (usually involving who was screwing who at the time) but good times for sure.

I think we need to clarify this... working in a restaurant can make it easIER to get laid. In your case, it's being a pretty girl that makes it easy to get laid ;)
    Cool. So it's kind of like the movie, "Waiting" ? I love that movie.

In short, yes, exactly like "Waiting".
    Except more people being hung over/still fucked up on the job.

I think we need to clarify this... working in a restaurant can make it easIER to get laid. In your case, it's being a pretty girl that makes it easy to get laid ;)

Haha it was easy, too easy. ;)
    I really miss it sometimes...
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • i know you have experience in washing things, but if the new ukranian cook asks you where the new sponges are, dont say, that they are 'up his ass'. ive heard from a kid on the web that it can resort to getting fired.
  • I used to work for a chain like that called Max & Erma's.
    mmmmm fresh baked cookies for dessert!!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    edited February 2009
    I used to work in a restaurant. I think getting along with your co-workers is key to happiness in that type of job. I would advise to be friends with everyone, but avoid drama at all cost. (For some reason there's always a lot of drama.)

For the interview, I'm sure they're primarily looking for someone who is a people person (especially if you're applying to be a server), who is hard-working and flexible, who is reliable and always on time, who is honest, who has a neat & clean appearance (but don't wear too much cologne), etc. Attitude and customer service skills are key.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    Post edited by _ on
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200

I know I don't know you that well, but I think I love you! :twisted: :lol::mrgreen:
    Thorns2010 wrote:

I know I don't know you that well, but I think I love you! :twisted: :lol::mrgreen:

I am pretty goddamn lovable. :D
    For that any many other reasons. :lol:

• i know you have experience in washing things, but if the new ukranian cook asks you where the new sponges are, dont say, that they are 'up his ass'. ive heard from a kid on the web that it can resort to getting fired.

Thanks for the hot tip, Quincy. :D
    Cool. So it's kind of like the movie, "Waiting" ? I love that movie.

In short, yes, exactly like "Waiting".
    Except more people being hung over/still fucked up on the job.

I used to go to this bar with coworkers and we knew the owners, so we'd party there after the bar closed and sometimes sleep on the floor there, or at best, crawl back to the bartender's flat. Then we'd go right back into work for the afternoon shift... unshowered, un-toothbrushed, un-slept, reeking of alcohol weed and cigarettes... we had to get stoned just to survive the shift. Good times.
    Thorns2010 wrote:

I am pretty goddamn lovable. :D
    For that any many other reasons. :lol:

But are you lovable long time?

I used to go to this bar with coworkers and we knew the owners, so we'd party there after the bar closed and sometimes sleep on the floor there, or at best, crawl back to the bartender's flat. Then we'd go right back into work for the afternoon shift... unshowered, un-toothbrushed, un-slept, reeking of alcohol weed and cigarettes... we had to get stoned just to survive the shift. Good times.

Sounds pretty familiar. "Ray's Place." Ahh good times..those that I remember at least.

And yes, I am lovable long time. :)

Sounds pretty familiar. "Ray's Place." Ahh good times..those that I remember at least.

And yes, I am lovable long time. :)

Yeah, it was fun while it lasted. Though it lost some of its appeal after the week in jail ;) On the upside, I managed to schedule my paid vacation around that time, so I actually got paid by my restaurant to do jailtime!
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200

Yeah, it was fun while it lasted. Though it lost some of its appeal after the week in jail ;) On the upside, I managed to schedule my paid vacation around that time, so I actually got paid by my restaurant to do jailtime!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

What got you in jail if I may ask?
    Thorns2010 wrote:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

What got you in jail if I may ask?

Multiple alcohol related offenses. I had to go to rehab too... I got sent home the first day though because I was still drunk from the night before. Who schedules rehab to start the morning after St. Patty's? Granted, that was the last time I drank (almost 4 years ago) so I guess it worked eventually :)

That's the other thing! Working in a restaurant, I got really good at bailing people (co-workers) out of jail. I was so the girl to call. Spring ya from the joint and we'd both get to our split shifts on time. Good times..good times. Never went myself, thankfully.
    I remember one of my coworkers getting busted having a quickie in the restaurant parking lot in broad daylight before his girlfriend took him back to jail after work release...
    But that's neither here nor there.

• :shock:
    I will never look at wait staff quite the same way again. . . .
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • I used to work for a chain like that called Max & Erma's. I waited tables, bussed, hosted, and worked carryout at various times. It was ok. Fun coworkers and lots of partying were a plus. You usually have some hot coworkers too... I met the love of my life working there. Got to be careful though. It was really awkward and painful working with her in the restaurant after she'd left me for another guy.

I had to stop waiting tables when I quit smoking pot though... I wanted to kill too many customers. I actually made more money bussing tables... people tip for shit in places like that. I also credit working in a place like that for my current attitude. It made me lose all faith in human evolution or decency and realize that we're all just a bunch of whiny, selfish, pieces of shit carving out meaningless and pathetic lives. Waiting tables makes you realize that most people are petty and worthless human beings, regardless of class, race, or whatever.

Gee, why so negative all the time?

j/k :lol: - to quote the great Speedy, "hehehehehehehehehe.........." Btw, congrats on the four years sober :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    I'm lucky to work in a place that isn't a chain. We're the only one around but I think number two might be in the works. I work with the owner everyday and he's pretty awesome. Not a whole lot of drinkin' going on because we're way too busy for that. We still find time to be silly and have fun though. Good luck.
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
    I used to work for a chain like that called Max & Erma's. I waited tables, bussed, hosted, and worked carryout at various times. It was ok. Fun coworkers and lots of partying were a plus. You usually have some hot coworkers too... I met the love of my life working there. Got to be careful though. It was really awkward and painful working with her in the restaurant after she'd left me for another guy.

Gee, why so negative all the time?

The funny thing is that this does explain why I'm so negative all the time... it all stems from a year spent waiting tables ;)

And thanks!
  • I've worked as both a chef and a waitress... I loved it.

If the money was better i'd do it again in a heartbeat :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • **Update**

Interview today went well, got a 2nd interview.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    **Update**

Woo-hoo! Good job! :D
    **Update**

Yay! Congrats!
    I know all the talk about promiscuous sex, drug use, and constant partying has made this job look like a good time...
    It is. :)