Anyone Work in a Restaurant?

Comments

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    In answer to your question, no---but I spawned someone that does!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    I used to be a chef in a restaurant in seattle. if your a server, just keep in mind that cooking the food is a lot harder to do than carry it around all day. we would have 1 lead server that could talk to the kitchen and he/she could only talk to 1 cook. everyone else is busy.

I'd have 25 items to fire and remember and some lame ass server would come up and start asking a bunch of questions about the food. it may look like we have a break but I can't tell you how pissed I'd get trying to remember what i need to fire and when, and a server is trying to ask me shit he's already supposed to know. after hours its all good, but when we're getting hit just don't even ask. or ask the lead, if he's not busy. and keep the drinks coming. rum and cokes make it all better.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Commy wrote:
    I used to be a chef in a restaurant in seattle. if your a server, just keep in mind that cooking the food is a lot harder to do than carry it around all day. we would have 1 lead server that could talk to the kitchen and he/she could only talk to 1 cook. everyone else is busy.

I'd have 25 items to fire and remember and some lame ass server would come up and start asking a bunch of questions about the food. it may look like we have a break but I can't tell you how pissed I'd get trying to remember what i need to fire and when, and a server is trying to ask me shit he's already supposed to know. after hours its all good, but when we're getting hit just don't even ask. or ask the lead, if he's not busy. and keep the drinks coming. rum and cokes make it all better.

Man I am glad the cooks in my restaurant were never as full of themselves as you are. The fact that you think serving is nothing more than carrying food around all day shows that you don't know shit about front-of-the-house work.
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    I'm getting my popcorn ready, this is going to be a good show! :mrgreen:

Man I am glad the cooks in my restaurant were never as full of themselves as you are. The fact that you think serving is nothing more than carrying food around all day shows that you don't know shit about front-of-the-house work.
    [/quote]

no I do. I couldn't deal with the guests all night, that would drive me insane. Was trying to point out it might not be a good idea if your a new server to ask a cook what kind of sauce goes on something if he's in the middle of something. bad idea in the middle of a rush, in most of the restaurants I worked.

where we were, we didn't have tickets in front of us, it was all from memory. the lead was the only cook to see what needed to be fired. he would call 6 or 7 things at a time, it adds up. so we'd have 20-30 things to remember at a time, when to fire -what to fire, when to plate. and every cook on the line was like that. it all had to come out in 18-22 minutes- and each plate was over $60, so don't fuck up, all while standing in front of a 700 degree oven, or grill or saute burners or whatever. its effin stressful.

so when some server comes up and asks what kind of sauce goes on the effing halibut sometimes you lose the momentum, you forget shit, and then he's back at the window 10 minutes later asking where his lobster tail is for table 25 while your firing the next 5 tables. all of which could have been avoided if the server knew the menu to begin with.
  • Thorns2010 wrote:

What do you mean? Are we being nice?
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Thorns2010 wrote:

What do you mean? Are we being nice?

I was referring to soulsinging and commy, looked like they were going to go at it, internet message board style! :lol:
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I used to go to this diner in phoenix...the chef was a real hothead, but the waitresses didn't take any crap from him. As I recall, there was a spunky waitress with a southern accent who always told him to kiss her grits.

One of the other waitresses was named Vera, and she was a nervous wreck when the chef yelled at her. I wonder if she ever filed a harassment suit against him?

The most level-headed waitress was named Alice...she could always put things in perspective, no matter how crazy the situation.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Commy wrote:

no I do. I couldn't deal with the guests all night, that would drive me insane. Was trying to point out it might not be a good idea if your a new server to ask a cook what kind of sauce goes on something if he's in the middle of something. bad idea in the middle of a rush, in most of the restaurants I worked.

where we were, we didn't have tickets in front of us, it was all from memory. the lead was the only cook to see what needed to be fired. he would call 6 or 7 things at a time, it adds up. so we'd have 20-30 things to remember at a time, when to fire -what to fire, when to plate. and every cook on the line was like that. it all had to come out in 18-22 minutes- and each plate was over $60, so don't fuck up, all while standing in front of a 700 degree oven, or grill or saute burners or whatever. its effin stressful.

so when some server comes up and asks what kind of sauce goes on the effing halibut sometimes you lose the momentum, you forget shit, and then he's back at the window 10 minutes later asking where his lobster tail is for table 25 while your firing the next 5 tables. all of which could have been avoided if the server knew the menu to begin with.[/quote]
    This reminds me of Hell's Kitchen. I didn't realize it really was that hectic in real life. :shock:
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I used to go to this diner in phoenix...the chef was a real hothead, but the waitresses didn't take any crap from him. As I recall, there was a spunky waitress with a southern accent who always told him to kiss her grits.

One of the other waitresses was named Vera, and she was a nervous wreck when the chef yelled at her. I wonder if she ever filed a harassment suit against him?

The most level-headed waitress was named Alice...she could always put things in perspective, no matter how crazy the situation.

I swear I've been to a place just like this, though I haven't been to Phoenix - at least, not that I can remember. We did get stuck in Flagstaff once, maybe there was something like this there.

Did you frequent this diner in the 80's by chance?
    I carried a watermelon
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I swear I've been to a place just like this, though I haven't been to Phoenix - at least, not that I can remember. We did get stuck in Flagstaff once, maybe there was something like this there.

Did you frequent this diner in the 80's by chance?

Yep...my memory is foggy, but it was Sunday or Monday nights?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Yep...my memory is foggy, but it was Sunday or Monday nights?

i would go there with my friend henry the telephone repairman on monday nights
    Commy wrote:

so when some server comes up and asks what kind of sauce goes on the effing halibut sometimes you lose the momentum, you forget shit, and then he's back at the window 10 minutes later asking where his lobster tail is for table 25 while your firing the next 5 tables. all of which could have been avoided if the server knew the menu to begin with.

Fair enough, but that's not what you said.

I agree with all of this post right here. No doubt the kitchen is high stress. I've no doubt a bad server was a pain in your ass. A bad cook was a pain in our ass too. I only take issue with you acting like servers should all be kissing your ass because your job is hard and theirs isn't... because that isn't true and I think you know it. They both have their ups and downs, neither is the "harder" job. Both suffer when the other is incompetent. And you saying servers just carry food around all day is like me saying you just throw shit on a foreman grill and wait for the timers to go off all day.
  • I live in small area under 500,000 people. I am a executive chef In one of the major hotels in the area. I have a daughter who is a freshman in high school. I tell her and every other teen that if you trully don't completely love what you do like cooking then you should never work in a restaurant maybe bartend or something for a sort period of time for some cash but never as a career unless it is in your soul or it will eat you up.
    This is Not For You
  • i have never worked in a restaurant....

but if i had a nickel for every waitress i slept with.....

oh nevermind....

hehehehehehehehehehehehe.......................
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • I got the gig.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    I got the gig.

congrats to you! not trying to be a jerk, but watch what you say. you never know who you'll offend. when do you start?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    I worked in a restaurant for six years, remember meeting lots of new people, waitresses and going to lots of partys, having a laugh, long hours but it gave me a good social life,good luck on your first day dude.
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I'm a bartender in a college town, big weekend crowds, really good tips.. Its prob. the best job I can imagine as a college student...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    I got the gig.

congrats to you! not trying to be a jerk, but watch what you say. you never know who you'll offend. when do you start?

Yeah, thanks. I know that by now. :D

Orientation is next week.

I agree with all of this post right here. No doubt the kitchen is high stress. I've no doubt a bad server was a pain in your ass. A bad cook was a pain in our ass too. I only take issue with you acting like servers should all be kissing your ass because your job is hard and theirs isn't... because that isn't true and I think you know it. They both have their ups and downs, neither is the "harder" job. Both suffer when the other is incompetent. And you saying servers just carry food around all day is like me saying you just throw shit on a foreman grill and wait for the timers to go off all day.

haha. servers get paid twice as much for doing, from our perspective, very little. I'm sure its as shitty as working 12 saute burners for 5 hours straight, but I just can't imagine how.
    Commy wrote:

haha. servers get paid twice as much for doing, from our perspective, very little. I'm sure its as shitty as working 12 saute burners for 5 hours straight, but I just can't imagine how.

Then quit cooking, quit whining and pissing and moaning, and start serving.

And don't say "our perspective." You don't speak for all cooks, as I know many without a fraction of your attitude. Based on your posts in other forums, you only speak for you and your close-knit group of incredibly arrogant cook friends... all still bitching about the owner that fired you however long ago it was (and with every post you make about your job, I can understand why he did more and more).

Get off your high horse. You throw shit on a grill. You're not curing cancer.
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Commy wrote:

When I was a server I made $2.33/hour.
    When I was a cocktail waitress I made $3.00/hour.
    If you made $1-1.50 an hour, I'm sorry. The cooks are great. Stay on their good side, sometimes you get free food out of the deal. :) or at least a drink after shift.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • I got the gig.
    Congrats! I hope it works out well for you. :)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Commy wrote:

If you made $1-1.50 an hour, I'm sorry. The cooks are great. Stay on their good side, sometimes you get free food out of the deal. :) or at least a drink after shift.
    so they didn't tip in your restaurants?

Then quit cooking, quit whining and pissing and moaning, and start serving.

And don't say "our perspective." You don't speak for all cooks, as I know many without a fraction of your attitude. Based on your posts in other forums, you only speak for you and your close-knit group of incredibly arrogant cook friends... all still bitching about the owner that fired you however long ago it was (and with every post you make about your job, I can understand why he did more and more).

Get off your high horse. You throw shit on a grill. You're not curing cancer.
    I did. and I'm not whining. its over I'm over it, was trying to help out op. from my experience the cooks do most of the work any given night, and the servers have their free time to fill with drama and irrelevance and whatever.

and that's just one restaurant. a few of the others I workerd in the front of house pitched in, and we had a great time. especially after hours.

just saying, to the op, if its a high end restaurant it might not be all partying and booze and tips and cocaine and lovely roses. just giving him an idea of what he could be getting into.
    Commy wrote:
    I did. and I'm not whining. its over I'm over it, was trying to help out op. from my experience the cooks do most of the work any given night, and the servers have their free time to fill with drama and irrelevance and whatever.

and that's just one restaurant. a few of the others I workerd in the front of house pitched in, and we had a great time. especially after hours.

just saying, to the op, if its a high end restaurant it might not be all partying and booze and tips and cocaine and lovely roses. just giving him an idea of what he could be getting into.

:roll:

Maybe there wasn't so much partying and whatnot for you because you were a pretentious drag to be around? You know... they wanted to have fun, not be lectured about how irrelevant they were, how little they worked compared to your rock star grilling skills, and how you all needed to unionize.

We partied every night, servers and cooks together. We all had a blast. We all talked shit about the people that didn't work... and there were servers and cooks on that list.

For someone who spends so much time in the Moving Train ranting about how the elite rich think they're better than everyone, you sure do have quite a smug sense of your "class's" superiority over everyone else in the restaurant.
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Commy wrote:

so they didn't tip in your restaurants?

Yeah, there were tips.
    But servers always came out behind at the end of it all. No paychecks because you lost everything to taxes and then still wound up paying in at the end of the year.
    Not entirely "the man's" fault though...as I'm sure you've seen how fast servers can burn through their wad at the end of the night...

And yeah, I'll admit that I paid for my entire 2008 tour in cash, cocktailing tips. But it was also pretty much the worst, most demeaning job I've ever had in my life. I quit a week after getting back from tour.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009

:roll:

Maybe there wasn't so much partying and whatnot for you because you were a pretentious drag to be around? You know... they wanted to have fun, not be lectured about how irrelevant they were, how little they worked compared to your rock star grilling skills, and how you all needed to unionize.

We partied every night, servers and cooks together. We all had a blast. We all talked shit about the people that didn't work... and there were servers and cooks on that list.

For someone who spends so much time in the Moving Train ranting about how the elite rich think they're better than everyone, you sure do have quite a smug sense of your "class's" superiority over everyone else in the restaurant.

the world runs on the back of the working class. I've been very consistent with that idea. whenever I see class inequality I will point it out. people tend to take things for granted, its just that in my case I never let that happen. the more I busted my ass the better they got tipped in many cases. and they all realize dit. it was the new servers and cooks that we had problems with.

you and I just worked in different restaurants. me and everyone apparently. this was as high end as it gets. our chef at the time cooked for the james beard foundation every year, still does, and was/is good friends with a lot of seattle pro athletes. nothing like gary peyton coming back to the kitchen to give us props. point is there was no room to fuck up, not at that level. whiny little servers coming to the line were about the 10 millionth thing on our minds, and they bitched like it was highschool, kind of sounding like you do now.

and I never said we didn't hang out or go out after work. servers, and cooks. we all got along. I can't tell you how many days I worked with no sleep the night before. w e had a blast. its just that during service it was a different environment. you couldn't fuck up at that level and be there for long.

I went on to other restaurants and had a great time, especially with the servers, had a great few years at a restaurant a few blocks from the tractor in ballard, we'd go there every week. I met matt cameron there one night. but whenever people are dropping $1k on a fucking food bill there's no time to be chill, or relaxed or not stressed- everything has to be perfect.
    Commy wrote:
    the world runs on the back of the working class. I've been very consistent with that idea. whenever I see class inequality I will point it out. people tend to take things for granted, its just that in my case I never let that happen. the more I busted my ass the better they got tipped in many cases. and they all realize dit. it was the new servers and cooks that we had problems with.

you and I just worked in different restaurants. me and everyone apparently. this was as high end as it gets. our chef at the time cooked for the james beard foundation every year, still does, and was/is good friends with a lot of seattle pro athletes. nothing like gary peyton coming back to the kitchen to give us props. point is there was no room to fuck up, not at that level. whiny little servers coming to the line were about the 10 millionth thing on our minds, and they bitched like it was highschool, kind of sounding like you do now.

and I never said we didn't hang out or go out after work. servers, and cooks. we all got along. I can't tell you how many days I worked with no sleep the night before. w e had a blast. its just that during service it was a different environment. you couldn't fuck up at that level and be there for long.

I went on to other restaurants and had a great time, especially with the servers, had a great few years at a restaurant a few blocks from the tractor in ballard, we'd go there every week. I met matt cameron there one night. but whenever people are dropping $1k on a fucking food bill there's no time to be chill, or relaxed or not stressed- everything has to be perfect.

I see... and nobody in the kitchen ever made a mistake, only the servers eh? There was no pressure on them, being the face of the restaurant and having to deal face to face with people dropping $1000 on a meal and expecting the moon for it? Given how you think wealthy people like that act towards the poor and menial workers... how do you think they treated those servers out there eh?

But you're right, they didn't have a hard job at all. All they did was carry food around, I'm sure those people dropping a grand didn't expect... you know... service or anything. You were the only one working in there. My God, I'm going to include you in my prayers tonight and thank lord Jesus that we have wonderful people like you to shoulder the burdens the rest of us lazy working classes can't.

If the servers sounded like me, maybe they were responding to your self-righteous attitude, not whining. You want a Nobel Prize or something? You worked in a fucking restaurant grilling food. I don't care how high end it was or how much "props" you got from Gary Payton and other super-rich-from-not-working-that-hard-athletes (funny how despite your disdain for the wealthy you have a lot of celeb hero worship going on here). Maybe you had problems with servers because they didn't enjoy being treated the way Ford CEO's treat their line workers.