WATCHMEN: the movie

Comments

• Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095

i think the change at the end was unnecessary, i dont think the change is any better or worse. but since its not better they should have kept the original idea.
    I haven't seen the film yet but couldn't understand people talking about how they couldn't make that ending... every disaster film does so I really don't get it.

My guess is it has to do with the original ending involving destruction in NYC, 9/11 having occurred in NYC, and Americans being huge touchy pussies about that sort of thing.
    see that's what I figured... but it's only a bloody film :D and NYC has been destroyed in several films... even since 9/11 or am I wrong???
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    The only character I found worth liking was Rorsach. Hated the chick, hated Night Owl.

when i posted my complaint about how overrated this comic was awhile ago rorschach was the only thing i liked about it. even though he is a little off, he's about the only 'real' character. the whole comic i was hoping for more of them die, except rorschach. i was hoping for more assassinations. it is an ok story but everything is so dull with this story. really didnt think alan moore could make such boring characters.
    I think that was the point, you weren't supposed to like Silk Spectre or Night Owl as 'heroes' that you've been brought up with. They fight crime or try to do good things, but have no real 'reason' for doing so and no 'bad guy' to bring down really. The bad guy in the end was Nixon (who basically served as a metaphor for Reagan) and corporate capitalism which benefits from the exploitation of good and evil (which is what Rorsach's journal allows for). Most Americans aren't going to love this movie and they won't be sure why b/c it's implicit in the film, but it's basically a critique of our system disguised in a superhero film. It's kinda sweet.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    see that's what I figured... but it's only a bloody film :D and NYC has been destroyed in several films... even since 9/11 or am I wrong???

Yes- i think Cloverfeild was the last movie to blow up New York.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    RW81233 wrote:
    The only character I found worth liking was Rorsach. Hated the chick, hated Night Owl.

when i posted my complaint about how overrated this comic was awhile ago rorschach was the only thing i liked about it. even though he is a little off, he's about the only 'real' character. the whole comic i was hoping for more of them die, except rorschach. i was hoping for more assassinations. it is an ok story but everything is so dull with this story. really didnt think alan moore could make such boring characters.
    I think that was the point, you weren't supposed to like Silk Spectre or Night Owl as 'heroes' that you've been brought up with. They fight crime or try to do good things, but have no real 'reason' for doing so and no 'bad guy' to bring down really. The bad guy in the end was Nixon (who basically served as a metaphor for Reagan) and corporate capitalism which benefits from the exploitation of good and evil (which is what Rorsach's journal allows for). Most Americans aren't going to love this movie and they won't be sure why b/c it's implicit in the film, but it's basically a critique of our system disguised in a superhero film. It's kinda sweet.

Yep, you were not supposed to like any of the characters, they were all flawed and "human", except Manhattan, but he was to show how some one with his powers eventually would not care about anything. I think part of the problem is the problems in the Comic are what was going on was 20 years ago, if the cold war was substituted for terrorism or something, it might mean more today.

that's what I thought... and I'm sure it's not the ONLY post 9/11 movie to destroy nyc?? :oops: so I really don't understand how many people were saying 'they wouldn't dare use that ending'. I think if they'd used that ending, it's not like there'd be mass demonstrations against a film based on a 20 year old comic set in a pre 9/11 world :mrgreen: Seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why is it 'acceptable' in some films... but not this one?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

Yep, you were not supposed to like any of the characters, they were all flawed and "human", except Manhattan, but he was to show how some one with his powers eventually would not care about anything. I think part of the problem is the problems in the Comic are what was going on was 20 years ago, if the cold war was substituted for terrorism or something, it might mean more today.
    [/quote]
    Yeah the Cold War is something that isn't going to resonate, but it is interesting that the year that Reagan economic policy finally implodes on itself this movie comes out.
    it's also interesting that people are going to like Rorsach the best because he's the most masculine of the three main characters (Dr. Manhatten excluded) - probably says something about our society that most won't love semi-impotent, sensitive men, or badass women.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    I saw the movie yesterday at IMAX and it was amazing. I was glad I read the graphic novel prior to seeing it though or otherwise parts may have been difficult to follow. The action sequences were fantastic and I thought it was a great adaptation. I highly recommend it to anyone, especially comic book fans. Definitely be seeing it again.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

that's what I thought... and I'm sure it's not the ONLY post 9/11 movie to destroy nyc?? :oops: so I really don't understand how many people were saying 'they wouldn't dare use that ending'. I think if they'd used that ending, it's not like there'd be mass demonstrations against a film based on a 20 year old comic set in a pre 9/11 world :mrgreen: Seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why is it 'acceptable' in some films... but not this one?

Because Cloverfield involved a big monster tearing up the city. This book was essentially about an act of terrorism or political violence.

Because Cloverfield involved a big monster tearing up the city. This book was essentially about an act of terrorism or political violence.
    again though... it's just a bloody film... and if people can't see that... well what the hell's become of the world? They've destroyed NYC in films... I reckon enough time has passed now for hollywood to destroy it with terrorism. Don't they love to find peoples fears and give it to them?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    again though... it's just a bloody film... and if people can't see that... well what the hell's become of the world? They've destroyed NYC in films... I reckon enough time has passed now for hollywood to destroy it with terrorism. Don't they love to find peoples fears and give it to them?

Beats me. People are whiners. I can't remember what movie or tv show it was, but they ended up airbrushing the twin towers out of the film after it had shot but before it was released, because they thought it might upset people. People in this country are fucked up.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,437

Beats me. People are whiners. I can't remember what movie or tv show it was, but they ended up airbrushing the twin towers out of the film after it had shot but before it was released, because they thought it might upset people. People in this country are fucked up.
    people on this PLANET are fucked up...........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

people on this PLANET are fucked up...........

No doubt about that, we just seem to spend way too much time in this country worrying about hurting people's feelings.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,437
    hurting peoples feelings????

fuck that...

people should be more like me....

i just dont give a fuck about anyone....hehehehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    hurting peoples feelings????

fuck that...

people should be more like me....

i just dont give a fuck about anyone....hehehehehehehe

I need to aspire to that... I spend too much time hating everyone!

serious??? :shock: I can kinda understand if it was being released a couple of weeks later or something... the whole world was pretty raw about it... but it's over 7 years later... are we supposed to pretend they were never there or that terrorism doesn't exist? :lol:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182

I know they did this for one of the spiderman movies. Initially they had a trailer which showed spiderman using his webbing to create a net between the towers to catch bad guys (i think in a helicopter). If I remember correctly it was briefly shown and then taken off due to 9/11.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    i dont think the ending has anything to do with 9-11 other than hitting just new york wouldnt bring home the point here. i think people have become too insensitive to major destruction, rather than being a bunch of whiners. i really dont get how people are thinking oh they wouldnt use the original idea cause 9-11. the original ending was more sympathetic to ny then this one. the whole world came to global peace because everyone felt sorry for ny. this one ny was just a drop in the bucket.

i dont think this is really a anti-reagen/nixon film. moore is a an anarchist, by his own admission. he just shows that a government is more concern with its own power, then the well being of its people. party lines dont matter. the film makes mention of nixons 3rd term.....fdr had 3 terms. and veidt really shows moores hate for government. he single handedly proves the government cant protect its own power nor care for its people even if they were inclined to do so. and remember the government was partly doing what the people wanted, outlawing superheros. so it wasnt really an oppressive government. just ones that want to control it all.

and if you look at v for vendetta, moore has said that was based on the idea of liberals screwing things up so much that the people vote for a conservative party that knows full well they can do anything because of the failures of the previous group. so moore isnt just anti-conservative, he seems to have it out for big government and uses, then, current events to write a possible future reality.

if the idea of terrorism (i hate that overused term) bringing world peace isnt an anarchist point of view i dont know what is. i really dont see party lines when i read, or watch movies based off of, moores works. i just get the free people are good and government is bad.
  • RW81233 wrote:
    most won't love semi-impotent, sensitive men, or badass women.
    I love badass women but I didn't think she was badass at all.

Also, I think Zoolander had the WTC brushed out.
    I'll wait for an angel, but won't hold my breath
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Finished reading the book about a month ago and now I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. Just from watching the trailers and other clips that are all over TV I would say it looks very close to the book.
    Brian
    i dont think the ending has anything to do with 9-11 other than hitting just new york wouldnt bring home the point here. i think people have become too insensitive to major destruction, rather than being a bunch of whiners. i really dont get how people are thinking oh they wouldnt use the original idea cause 9-11. the original ending was more sympathetic to ny then this one. the whole world came to global peace because everyone felt sorry for ny. this one ny was just a drop in the bucket.

i dont think this is really a anti-reagen/nixon film. moore is a an anarchist, by his own admission. he just shows that a government is more concern with its own power, then the well being of its people. party lines dont matter. the film makes mention of nixons 3rd term.....fdr had 3 terms. and veidt really shows moores hate for government. he single handedly proves the government cant protect its own power nor care for its people even if they were inclined to do so. and remember the government was partly doing what the people wanted, outlawing superheros. so it wasnt really an oppressive government. just ones that want to control it all.

and if you look at v for vendetta, moore has said that was based on the idea of liberals screwing things up so much that the people vote for a conservative party that knows full well they can do anything because of the failures of the previous group. so moore isnt just anti-conservative, he seems to have it out for big government and uses, then, current events to write a possible future reality.

if the idea of terrorism (i hate that overused term) bringing world peace isnt an anarchist point of view i dont know what is. i really dont see party lines when i read, or watch movies based off of, moores works. i just get the free people are good and government is bad.
    i'm basing my thoughts on what he said the novel was about which was that it was anti-reagan, anti-pull yourself up by the bootstraps hero, and that he had to create an alternative reality (Nixon still in office) so that people who wildly loved Reagan would still read his stuff and not automatically shut it off.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856

Wasn't that A.I.? That Spielberg movie?
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    I went last night to see it (I hate seeing movies on Opening night) and thought it was really good. Lots of details were changed from the novel - some of which I understand why for time constraints and to move the plot but some made no sense at all like not going into the real reason Jon was locked in the intrinsic field chamber, or how Rorschach got his mask, or the original Night Owl being blamed for Rorschach's escape from prison.

Other than that though it was a really good adaptation.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Solat13 wrote:
    I went last night to see it (I hate seeing movies on Opening night) and thought it was really good. Lots of details were changed from the novel - some of which I understand why for time constraints and to move the plot but some made no sense at all like not going into the real reason Jon was locked in the intrinsic field chamber, or how Rorschach got his mask, or the original Night Owl being blamed for Rorschach's escape from prison.

As for why the original nite owl wasn't blamed. He was they even supposedly shot Hollis Mason's murder scene. But for time they cut it. But supposedly it's gonna be in the directors cut dvd.

Anyway I thought it was a real lame adaptation. I hate how they changed the ending so dramatically in movie. And if you really think about the new ending it doesn't really make much sense. I don't wanna say too much and ruin the movie for anyone.
    im thinking of seeing this again, but not sure if it will be as good the second time since i know it all. but i did see the dark knight 7 times......
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I'm going today after work to an Imax theater

I can't wait
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Solat13 wrote:

I read that the directors cut comes out in the summer, and it is 30 minutes longer, so it will beinteresting to see what was cut out.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Wow !

I did not read the Graphic Novel so I had some idea of what to expect but this blew me away

Very good movie..later I talked to my comic book geek friends at work and they said about the slighlty different ending...didn't make a difference to me though
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • but i did see the dark knight 7 times......
    Wow, I couldn't sit through it twice, I can't imagine 7 times.
    I'll wait for an angel, but won't hold my breath
    but i did see the dark knight 7 times......
    Wow, I couldn't sit through it twice, I can't imagine 7 times.

well i liked the movie, and there wasnt anything else to do so i was like ill go see batman. i didnt work and wasnt going to school. so i had lots of free time.