WATCHMEN: the movie

CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,789
Looks incredible......I hope I'm right. Great Read as well if you like that sorta thing

3 6 09.....IMAX here I come

March seems like its gonna be a bumpin month, I hear something else is going down as well ;)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Great read indeed....hope that they did not change the story's climax
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,891
    tybird wrote:
    As I understand it the director tried very hard to stay true to the graphic novel. He did say however thre were SOME things that didn't translate well.

And yes , The wife and I will be checking this out.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    this trailer looks amazing....!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I might make the trek to the nearest IMAX theater for this one. If not for Watchmen, then Wolverine definitely.
    TEACHER SEEKS PUPIL
    Must have an earnest desire to save the world
    Apply in person
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    tybird wrote:

I just read the novel this past week and it was unlike anything I ever read. I was rather underwhelmed with the artwork, but the story and characters were fascinating. That said, I don't think there's any way in hell they will use that ending in a big budget hollywood movie... which is a damn shame.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I've been waiting for this movie for years.

I'm very excited.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • tybird wrote:

I just read the novel this past week and it was unlike anything I ever read. I was rather underwhelmed with the artwork, but the story and characters were fascinating. That said, I don't think there's any way in hell they will use that ending in a big budget hollywood movie... which is a damn shame.

Artwork in 1986, I think that is the year it came out, is nowhere near what it is today, but I agree, I am curious to see how they end it.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    tybird wrote:

Artwork in 1986, I think that is the year it came out, is nowhere near what it is today, but I agree, I am curious to see how they end it.

Yeah, it wasn't bad. But I also had Kingdom Come, the graphic novel about Superman by Waid/Ross I think, and the art for that was so mind-blowingly good that the Watchmen seemed somewhat utilitarian. That said, the story for the Watchmen blew it away ;)
  • the book was overrated i have no expectations the movie will be any good either. ill see it just cause ive seen 80% of the recent comic book movies in theaters, but the story was weak to begin with and there is nothing there that even awesome special effects can save.
    I loved the graphic novel, but I went and saw the midnight showing last night and i was a little disapointed in the movie.

It was well done (except for the music selections that did not seem to fit very well in my opinion or at least did not convey a strong emotion as they should), the acting although not oscar worthy was good, it looked very good, but i left there feeling like it just did not build the viewers bond with the charectors enough.

I feel like if i did not know the story i might have thought the movie was not good at all. It may be dificult for folks with no backgroudn knowledge to get into

I noticed only a few people clapped at the ending. Usually opening night midnight shows like this the crowd gets all geeked up for it and claps at the end so i have a feeling i may not have been alone in my opinion.

If you were a fan of the novel don't let this deter you from seeing it. For the most part it stays true to the comic. I enjoyed it, I would say it was a good movie, I was hoping it would be great though
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    intodeep wrote:
    I loved the graphic novel, but I went and saw the midnight showing last night and i was a little disapointed in the movie.

It was well done (except for the music selections that did not seem to fit very well in my opinion or at least did not convey a strong emotion as they should), the acting although not oscar worthy was good, it looked very good, but i left there feeling like it just did not build the viewers bond with the charectors enough.

I feel like if i did not know the story i might have thought the movie was not good at all. It may be dificult for folks with no backgroudn knowledge to get into

I noticed only a few people clapped at the ending. Usually opening night midnight shows like this the crowd gets all geeked up for it and claps at the end so i have a feeling i may not have been alone in my opinion.

If you were a fan of the novel don't let this deter you from seeing it. For the most part it stays true to the comic. I enjoyed it, I would say it was a good movie, I was hoping it would be great though

I heard the ending is differnt, without giving it away, do you think it worked?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    intodeep wrote:

I heard the ending is differnt, without giving it away, do you think it worked?

It is changed a little but in my opinion you have the same result so it was not a deal breaker for me.
    Perhaps Purist will disagree, but it is not like he changes the ending to butterflies and flowers he just changes how the end result comes about.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    My boys want to see this movie. I think they're going to go see it this weekend while I'm working. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    I haven't read the book, and don't know the story or ending. The previews and hype have me geeked out though. I may see it this weekend. I noticed its 2 hours 40 minutes long. That seems like a long movie to me. The Dark Knight was the same length IIRC, and IMO could have lost 10-20 minutes.
    intodeep wrote:

I've heard from a few places that it's almost TOO close to the comic and it kinda stifles it... that its slavish adherence to the novel kinda kills its spirit. It sounds like you're describing the same effect. LOTR is one movie that's a great example of an adaptation... it did make significant changes to the story, but it did so in a way that preserved the spirit of the work as a whole better than a line by line copy would have. I get the impression Watchmen did the opposite... its religiously faithful, but at the expense of capturing the lively spirit of the novel.
  • MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,025
    Liked the movie...all 2:45 of it ...

also loved the desolation row cover... nice

crazy violent though ..

recommended

M
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    I really loved this! I saw it on IMAX tonight. I haven't read the novel, but I really want to now.

It was definitely crazy violent, but in the most awesome way possible. :lol:
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    very freakin' good movie. the complete opposite of Dark Knight which was awesome for about 1 1/2 hours then wouldn't stop. watchmen was slow for an hour then when it ended I was left wanting more...def recommend.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    for as much as ive bashed the comic since ive read it, i must say the movie is pretty good. it still doesnt change the fact that i think the story is overrated, but i think it worked very well as a movie. they kinda skipped the firstwave of characters, and tried to cover as much as they could with the main characters. i think the one thing that should have been left in was when rorschach finds out his mom was killed. i thought that was pretty central to his strong views of right and wrong.

i think the change at the end was unnecessary, i dont think the change is any better or worse. but since its not better they should have kept the original idea.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    for as much as ive bashed the comic since ive read it, i must say the movie is pretty good. it still doesnt change the fact that i think the story is overrated, but i think it worked very well as a movie. they kinda skipped the firstwave of characters, and tried to cover as much as they could with the main characters. i think the one thing that should have been left in was when rorschach finds out his mom was killed. i thought that was pretty central to his strong views of right and wrong.

i think the change at the end was unnecessary, i dont think the change is any better or worse. but since its not better they should have kept the original idea.
    fair enough with your critiques, though i don't think anyone can under-do an anti-Ronald Reagan story...
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095

I haven't seen the film yet but couldn't understand people talking about how they couldn't make that ending... every disaster film does so I really don't get it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you

I haven't seen the film yet but couldn't understand people talking about how they couldn't make that ending... every disaster film does so I really don't get it.

i dont know, but maybe it would have been harder to explain it to a movie audience that hadnt read the comic. the movie is already close to 3 hours and trying to explain how a alien invasion will create world peace might have been harder to explain then making the ultimate weapon once loved by america and feared by the the russians a common enemy. but it seems both are nearly the same.

maybe it has to do with actual events.....look at 9-11 that didnt create world peace, i know it wasnt as big, but the book had the alien attack thing just in new york. how could an alien invasion explode all over the world?????? dr manhattan was known to be able to exist in more than one place and to be able to go anywhere in a second. so he could attack cities all over the world. while one failed invasion couldnt destroy all the worlds major cities.... thats the only reason i can think of the need for a change. cause i dont think anyone would believe for one second the destruction of one city would unite the world, so it had to be bigger than that.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095

i dont know, but maybe it would have been harder to explain it to a movie audience that hadnt read the comic. the movie is already close to 3 hours and trying to explain how a alien invasion will create world peace might have been harder to explain then making the ultimate weapon once loved by america and feared by the the russians a common enemy. but it seems both are nearly the same.

maybe it has to do with actual events.....look at 9-11 that didnt create world peace, i know it wasnt as big, but the book had the alien attack thing just in new york. how could an alien invasion explode all over the world?????? dr manhattan was known to be able to exist in more than one place and to be able to go anywhere in a second. so he could attack cities all over the world. while one failed invasion couldnt destroy all the worlds major cities.... thats the only reason i can think of the need for a change. cause i dont think anyone would believe for one second the destruction of one city would unite the world, so it had to be bigger than that.
    You've just given me a headache :mrgreen: I'll read this again later and try to figure out what you're talking about :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you

My guess is it has to do with the original ending involving destruction in NYC, 9/11 having occurred in NYC, and Americans being huge touchy pussies about that sort of thing.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388

My guess is it has to do with the original ending involving destruction in NYC, 9/11 having occurred in NYC, and Americans being huge touchy pussies about that sort of thing.
    Some Americans maybe....but not all of us. :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.

ummm they still nuked nyc......so......yeah.
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I got back not too long ago and thought the movie was awesome! I loved it! The ending change worked well, and Rorschach was fucking epic! :P
    I read the graphic novel not too long ago, finished yesterday actually! Loved the graphic novel, and was super stoked to see the movie!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It was ok.. can't say I was glued, but can't say I didn't like it.. It was a little long for my tastes.
  • I'm not a comic book person, and I can't imagine understanding this movie if I hadn't read the Wikipedia summary before seeing it. I liked the twist at the end but it just took so long to set up...

The only character I found worth liking was Rorsach. Hated the chick, hated Night Owl.
    I'll wait for an angel, but won't hold my breath
    The only character I found worth liking was Rorsach. Hated the chick, hated Night Owl.

when i posted my complaint about how overrated this comic was awhile ago rorschach was the only thing i liked about it. even though he is a little off, he's about the only 'real' character. the whole comic i was hoping for more of them die, except rorschach. i was hoping for more assassinations. it is an ok story but everything is so dull with this story. really didnt think alan moore could make such boring characters.