Options

New album news in latest Rolling Stone

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,758
    Nice to finally hear somethng directly from the band. I cant wait for this fall!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    sweet
    thanks
    sound like the songs are written and now its Brendan time
    hopefully it will be done in time for a fall US tour (eh hem closing the spectrum perhaps!!!!!)
  • Options
    This is awesome, awesome news. Thank you much for posting. I'm glad we're finally starting to hear album news from the band members themselves. I just wish the release was not as far away as Fall 09! But I'm willing to wait for a quality album, no doubt about that.
  • Options
    damn that got me excited to the core. a great feeling deep in my belly!!!! wow, i cant wait....YES!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    This is awesome, awesome news. Thank you much for posting. I'm glad we're finally starting to hear album news from the band members themselves. I just wish the release was not as far away as Fall 09! But I'm willing to wait for a quality album, no doubt about that.

the cool thing is that we'll have the re-issues & maybe a tour to hold us over until they release "Untitled". this is going to be a good year!! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    Pearl Jam to Release New LP in 2009

In Seattle with the band as it preps short, fast tunes
    By Brian Hiatt

In their Seattle rehearsal space, beneath a portrait of Pete Townshend and a giant Ramones banner, Pearl Jam have been hard at work on songs for their ninth studio album — which they plan to release on their own in the U.S., without a label. The band will soon begin recording with producer Brendan O’Brien and hopes to release the still-untitled disc by the fall. “The new record feels good so far — really strong and uptempo, stuff we can sink our teeth into,” says Eddie Vedder, who has seen his songwriting shift direction since the election. “I’ve tried, over the years, to be hopeful in the lyrics, and I think that’s going to be easier now.”

Pearl Jam (who are also releasing a deluxe reissue of their 1991 debut, Ten, on March 24th) have been working toward a self released album since 2002, when they wrapped up their contract with Epic Records and became free agents. For their last release, 2006’s Pearl Jam, they struck a one-off distribution deal with J Records, but this time the band will handle everything themselves in the States. “We’ll make deals with a number of partners - retail, online and probably mobile, too,” says Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis, adding that the group will sell digital and physical versions of the album on its own Website. “The cool thing is, as the record companies are kind of dying, the opportunities are growing.”

Judging from early demos, Pearl Jam are carrying through with the punchy, melodic energy of their last album. One song, a garage-y composition by Vedder, repeats the lyric “see my friends” over Stooges-meet-the- Who power chords and loose, Johnny Thunders-inspired lead guitar from Mike McCready. Another tune, penned by drummer Malt Cameron, is a bigger surprise: It’s sleek power pop, with a Stones-y intro riff leading into a tight, chiming verse and a catchy vocal melody that wouldn’t be out of place on a Kings of Leon record. “That could have been a seven-minute, weird, sideways kind of artsy song with a cool groove,” Vedder says. “I tinkered with it after everyone left, and we shrunk it down and turned it into something else... I’m thinking about set lists: ‘Will this be a song we’ll play every night?’”

Last year, everyone but Vedder gathered in bassist Jeff Ament’s Montana house for a songwriting retreat. “It’s the first time since the first record that we’ve really rehearsed,” says Ament, “instead of just going to the studio with a handful of ideas."

While Vedder seems most excited by the idea of short, fast
    songs - citing Guided by Voices as an inspiration - his bandmates emphasize other parts of the record. “There’s plenty of ballads, too,” says guitarist Stone Gossard. “And there’s some shifts in how Jeff and Matt and I are all relating — I think this record’s got a chance to sound significantly different.” Adds Ament, “There’s a couple of great things that Ed brought in that could be real departures for us. Whatever wave Ed caught with [his soundtack for] Into the Wild has taken him to different places.”

The new album is Pearl Jam’s first with Brendan O’Brien since 1998’s Yield, and they’re excited to be reuniting with their friend — who spent the past decade working with artists from Bruce Springsteen to AC/DC. “At this point, I think we’re willing to let somebody cut the songs up a little bit,” says Vedder. “In the past, Brendan would say, ‘It’s a great song, but I think you should do it in a different key; and we’d say no. But now that we’ve heard Bruce has listened to his suggestions, I think we will too.”
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 398
    A big midwestern BUMP for you guys.

Interesting that they worked together without ed. On Avocado didnt they all work together musically and ed put words on top of it for most of the songs? wonder if they are doing that this time.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    poto101 wrote:
    A big midwestern BUMP for you guys.

Interesting that they worked together without ed. On Avocado didnt they all work together musically and ed put words on top of it for most of the songs? wonder if they are doing that this time.

Yeah, I don't know. I think it is great that they are having music writing sessions with each other, though.
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    If it's released in the Fall, it means there's still a good chance for a farewell show at the Spectrum! Woohoo! :)
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    sounds like this band just keeps evolvling and thats a great thing...

only thing i hope is that as much as i liked Into the Wild album i dont think that would come across good as PJ as a whole, but from the sounds of it just writing the album opened up his horizons, i guess we shall see
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,340
    hell yeah can't wait and yes Fall that sounds fine to me since i will be in EUROPE ,and won't be missing anyshows here at least ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Lee MLee M Posts: 142
    As if I needed something to build my anticipation even more :D
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,017
    bad ass!!!!! thanks for posting
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Guided by voices? Sweet. I hope we get something VERY different from the last record (not that I didn't like it, don't get me wrong). Sounds like they could go several different directions......

I love Guided By Voices too. I'm even more excited. Can't wait for the new record.
    Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    LOV2ROCKLOV2ROCK Minneapolis/St.Paul Posts: 822
    "I think this record’s got a chance to sound significantly different"
    Could this be pearl jam's "Zooropa"? Boom switching over to the Moog Synthesizer? :lol:
  • Options
    Great news, thank you for sharing!
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    +1 Hard-on here in AUS.

GREAT NEWS.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting, great news!! :mrgreen: Can't wait to hear some new stuff from the boys.
  • Options
    GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    ahhhh...there is nothing like hearing new pj album news, gets me heart pumping!! npjaa isn't far off:)
  • Options
    Goatboy wrote:
    ahhhh...there is nothing like hearing new pj album news, gets me heart pumping!! npjaa isn't far off:)

not far off? it's freaking HERE!!!!
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    Thanks for sharing. that made my day. I have a feeling this album will be awesome!! Just can't wait till the fall. Winter is too long to wit for a tour.
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    Awesome article! :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    Who is on the cover of this RS???
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Who is on the cover of this RS???

Earlier in the thread someone said Sean Penn.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    mattcoz wrote:
    Im already picturing what the chorus "see my firends!" will sound like. I like it :D
    You're picturing what it will sound like? :?

For some reason I thought of STBC when I read it... "See this needle, see my friends!" :roll:
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here, they don't even say the word friend during STBC.
    I fully realize that, that's just how I heard it in my head, heh. ;)
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    I like that Ed is thinking about playing these songs live.
  • Options
    I would say if the new album is released in the fall, they will probably do a few shows on the west coast late this year, and then do a full world tour in 2010. Hopefully, the economy will be improved by then, because I want to go to at least 15 shows :)
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • Options
    13PJ13 wrote:
    If it's released in the Fall, it means there's still a good chance for a farewell show at the Spectrum! Woohoo! :)

I was thinking the same! Man, I hope so.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,750
    LOV2ROCK wrote:
    "I think this record’s got a chance to sound significantly different"
    Could this be pearl jam's "Zooropa"? Boom switching over to the Moog Synthesizer? :lol:
    Hahaha. Yea, Eddie would look great in fly shades!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    in this deep freeze thats happening in the prairies of Canada... this warms my heart