Options

Anyone Else Think The Rerelease Thing Is...

Comments

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    wow thats one of the best post i've seen a while. good post washedinblack91. fully agree with everything you said.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    bazzer wrote:
    It compromises the integrity of the music.
    It's still their highest selling album, so there are lots of people still interested in it. You don't think they might've just thought it was a cool thing to do?

"Why not jazz it up for a new generation? While we're at it, why not make a deluxe version with a bonus DVD, but what? Apparently our fans keep asking for MTV Unplugged. OK, let's do that. And we have to have vinyl too! You know there's a small group of collectors, they'd love a big package of stuff let's throw in all the editions plus extra bonus stuff, live vinyl, that first cassette, etc. It'll be expensive, but it'll be worth it for those that want it. Sweet, there can't be anyone unhappy with us this time, right?"

Hmm...

Ha, you can slice it and dice it any way you want. It's still all about making money, plain and simple. That's all it is.

You know, people like you...ruin it for everyne.

lol jk.. No but seriously, I dont know much (or anything) about how bands/record companies work but think about this:

Alice in chains: they have like FIVE greatest hits cd's, or more.
    Nirvana: they have a bunch of greatest hits, along with versions of nevermind for millions of formats.
    Any other band thats nearly 20 years old: greatest hits cds, Remastered versions of albums.

Pearl Jam prior to this: RVM greatest hits cd, thats it. They really didn't do anything to assist the record companies in more sales with all of those bullshit greatest hits, remastered cd's. So after 18 years, who knows, maybe the record companies are making them do this. You never know.

Personally Im ALLL up for remastering Ten. Vs, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, Riot Act....not so much. (Binaural and Avocado could use some help)
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    You know, I don't think I've posted this in a very long long time, but this thread I think deserves it.

Think about these songs lyrics first next time please.

Hooker With A Penis-Tool
    I met a boy wearing vans, 501s, and a
    Dope beastie t, nipple rings, and
    New tattoos that claimed that he
    Was ogt,
    From 92,
    The first ep.

And in between
    Sips of coke
    He told me that
    He thought
    We were sellin out,
    Layin down,
    Suckin up
    To the man.

Well now Ive got some
    A-dvice for you, little buddy.
    Before you point the finger
    You should know that
    Im the man,

And if Im the man,
    Then youre the man, and
    Hes the man as well so you can
    Point that fuckin finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what Ive sold you,
    Dumb fuck.
    I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
    Dip shit,
    And you bought one.

So Ive got some
    Advice for you, little buddy.
    Before you point your finger
    You should know that
    Im the man,
    If Im the fuckin man
    Then youre the fuckin man as well
    So you can
    Point that fuckin finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what Ive sold you,
    Dumb fuck.
    I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
    Dip shit,
    And you bought one.

All you read and
    Wear or see and
    Hear on tv
    Is a product
    Begging for your
    Fatass dirty
    Dollar

So...shut up and

Buy my new record
    Send more money
    Fuck you, buddy.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    bazzer wrote:
    It's still their highest selling album, so there are lots of people still interested in it. You don't think they might've just thought it was a cool thing to do?

"Why not jazz it up for a new generation? While we're at it, why not make a deluxe version with a bonus DVD, but what? Apparently our fans keep asking for MTV Unplugged. OK, let's do that. And we have to have vinyl too! You know there's a small group of collectors, they'd love a big package of stuff let's throw in all the editions plus extra bonus stuff, live vinyl, that first cassette, etc. It'll be expensive, but it'll be worth it for those that want it. Sweet, there can't be anyone unhappy with us this time, right?"

Hmm...

Ha, you can slice it and dice it any way you want. It's still all about making money, plain and simple. That's all it is.

i GUARANTEE it is the record company that came to them with the 10 reissue idea, said "we are doing this, do you want to be part of it?" and the band said, "well, since we don't want you to fuck it up, yes." so it is the RECPRD COMPANY that is doing it to make money. not that PJ wont, but its the record company that is looking for the reissue. that's what record companies do. they reissue shit that they've released before to generate more sales. especially since PJ is no longer with them, sony can do whatever they want and not worry about pissing them off. they could have done a have-assed job and released it anyway (like Capital is doing with the radiohead re-releases), so i'm just glad the band is involved.

as for compromising the integrity of the music, go talk to jeff or ed or whoever, who have all, on numerous occasions, said that they think 10 sounds like shit and wanted it remixed. if it doesn't compromise the integrity of music that THEY MADE for it to be re-released, then i think its OK.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    washedinblack91 - well said. you make some great points and presented the best argument for your side that i've seen in the entire thread. however, you don't seem to realize that i'm not chastising you or any other PJ fan for spending their money on something. you can spend your money on anything you want. i'm chastising the band for allowing this to happen in the first place. they could release unplugged on dvd without making us spend $31 bucks on a package deal to get it. granted, the cheapest option is not a bad deal considering, but all the other options are overpriced for what you're getting. my point remains that it is about making money and with no amount of justification for your beliefs/opinions can you deny that.

thorns2010 - i appreciate you using tool lyrics. it doesn't really go against the grain of what i'm saying though. if anything, it helps my argument by establishing that pearl jam/other major acts are sell-outs.

newjpage - so what are you saying,...epic/sony is making all the profit and pearl jam is making none? if that is the case and someone can prove it to me, i will stand humbly corrected.
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199

thorns2010 - i appreciate you using tool lyrics. it doesn't really go against the grain of what i'm saying though. if anything, it helps my argument by establishing that pearl jam/other major acts are sell-outs.

I'm not disagreeing with you per say. The reason I posted the lyrics was to remind you (and everyone else for that matter) that long before any of us fans knew them, they made a deal with the 'devil' to become well paid musicians.

And its funny to me that people need/want to point out that they are 'selling out' when they do something that is going to make them money.

Is that making any sense??? I'm not trying to rag on you, and sorry if it came across that way.
  • Options
    dude, you wanna bum a xanax? :D

nah..I don't like pharmasuticals dulling my senses..."herbal remedies" only! :lol:
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I don't see the need to re-release everything but Ten was their breakout album obviously and I never liked the way it sounded. I still don't. It doesn't even sound like them at all after so many bootlegs and other albums. So I am looking forward to the re-mixed version and the Unplugged DVD.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    thorns2010 - yes, that makes sense. i agree with you.

flagg and others who have said only ten should be re-released and not the others - hearing all of your opinions and reading posts throughout this thread has made me change my mind slightly...i now think the ten re-release is okay, due to a number of factors. but, i still maintain that re-releasing the ENTIRE catalogue will be unnecessary, and, for lack of a better word, dumb. most of the records are produced well and messing with that would just be terrible.

they can release b-sides/live dvds/other goodies separately...they don't need to tie in all the cool/unreleased stuff with an album re-release and charge us more for it.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    if anything, it helps my argument by establishing that pearl jam/other major acts are sell-outs.

Sometimes good bands get noticed and make money. Sometimes shitty bands follow suit.

Success does not always equate with selling out.

I guarantee Sony was going to do something to commemorate Ten, with or without PJ's involvement. I equate this with something that happened to my other favorite band, Rush. "Tom Sawyer" was used in a Nissan commercial a few years ago, and hardcore fans were absolutely B.S. over their band's supposed involvement. Rush was always known for their integrity and fierce "do it yourself" mentality. Then the commercial hit and fans went ballistic. Then Neil Peart (drummer, lyricist) released a statement basically saying it came to their attention that Nissan wanted to use the song, and since the song was over 25 years old, technically they could use a cover/studio band to replicate the music if the band didn't agree to lend the song to the commercial. It was either say no and have some 2nd rate bunch of hacks potentially ruin their song, or go with the flow, make a buck, and have a snippet of their song all over the television. Once I read that statement, I understood and *gasp* agreed with their decision.

It's the music business. In the end it is all about money. Would you rather have a PJ-approved series of re-releases, complete with special collectors items and bonus discs, or would you rather have Sony have full control and do like we've seen with bands like Nirvana and Hendrix and AIC: countless greatest hits, re-releases wth 1 bonus song, etc? The answer is simple to me. Pearl Jam is a band, and a business. But they are comprised of musicians, and peripheral co-workers, who are passionate about what they do. Fans have been pleading for re-mixes of Ten (and I have always wanted VS, possibly my favorite album, to be re-mastered too) and a release of Unplugged, etc, for a loooooong time. We are getting it, and just because they are not all released separately in convenient little one-off packages like you have in mind does not make the whole idea wrong. No re-release, or collector’s item, will make every fan happy. Sometimes you have to do create what you feel is appropriate and hope for the best. They are not sellouts for trying to appease fans and in the process…get this….make money! What are they supposed to do…tailor releases towards every individual in the fan club and give them out for free? They’re not UNICEF.

-B-
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options

newjpage - so what are you saying,...epic/sony is making all the profit and pearl jam is making none? if that is the case and someone can prove it to me, i will stand humbly corrected.

i said PJ would make money off it. as they should. and because they are making profit off of it, they are providing a fabulous product to us in exchange for the profit.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    [/quote]

What are they supposed to do…tailor releases towards every individual in the fan club and give them out for free? They’re not UNICEF.

-B-[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol:
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

• Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    washedinblack91 - well said. you make some great points and presented the best argument for your side that i've seen in the entire thread. however, you don't seem to realize that i'm not chastising you or any other PJ fan for spending their money on something.

but you said "Say what you will, stick up for 'em all you want but truth be told from an objective standpoint it is such a money grab. It's so blatantly obvious that if you can't see it you have become mindless."

that's not chastising?

anyway, I'm looking forward to the remix, the 92 concert and Unplugged on DVD as opposed to YouTube (significant quality difference).
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    The way I call it...
    Anything that'll keep the band in the black to finance new recording sessions and tours is something I'll back. I know that many people will download music and videos for free... for whatever reasons... but, I can afford to pay for them. So, why not?
    I don't expect anyone to agree with me... nor am I saying anyone should do as I do. All I'm saying is that is why I do what I do.
    Let me add... That 'Unplugged' DVD is going to be awesome on my 40" Bravia Home Theater. My computer is lacking in the audio/video department.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk and keep arguing but...

The whole "if you don't want it, don't buy it..." thing is invalid.

That's not the point I was making with this thread, the point I was making was they shouldn't be doing this re-release thing in the first place.

It's thier music...I'm pretty sure they can do whatever the hell they want with it.
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    I think this is an industry thing...not a pj thing.

U2 has done it and just re-released War.
    Metallica did it last year.
    The beatles have done it 100s of time.....
    As have the stones and Dylan..

I like the vinyl so no complaints...but if you dont like it blame the industry , not PJ
    Remember, now is a great time to vote with you $$$ ....

muddy
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 713
    "it's not a knee-jerk reaction...it's an intelligent, clear-headed, logical, normal reaction. "

it's not intelligent, clear-headed, or logical... But it is normal.

what you don't get is what some people have already said- Sony records owns the right to do so.. plain and simple. You should read a book on music business and you would understand what it's like to be in a band and deal with the many laws and rules of every move that you make. There are contracts involved, part ownership of Sony music to do what they please. unfortunately it MAY SEEM in poor taste, but it's called Capilalism. To say it's Pearl Jam's doing is incorrect. Though they did get involved, they probably just made it better, and worth it for their fan base.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    This is the classic example of someone not understanding what "sell out" means and the constant overuse of the term. If they were doing something (ie endorsing a product using their song or going against their instincts to make more commercial music) that they felt was wrong but did it anyway to make money, that is selling out. Putting out a re-release of an album and adding bonus things that your fans have been asking for years for is not selling out.

In response to this comment: "if anything, it helps my argument by establishing that pearl jam/other major acts are sell-outs." So it is now selling out, just to start a band and try to sell enough records to make a living at it?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    haha, all of you can try to justify it and pick apart what I've said all you want.

it still does not change the FACT that PEARL JAM (not just sony) is making a PROFIT by CHARGING US for RE-RELEASES of records that are ALREADY IN EXISTENCE.

as previously stated, I'm cool with the Ten re-release now for a number of reasons...(the mix is indeed shitty, unplugged has been asked for, etc).

but as I said before...they can easily release b-sides/live dvds/other goodies separately...they don't need to tie in all the cool/unreleased stuff with an album re-release and charge us more for it.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    haha, all of you can try to justify it and pick apart what I've said all you want.

it still does not change the FACT that PEARL JAM (not just sony) is making a PROFIT by CHARGING US for RE-RELEASES of records that are ALREADY IN EXISTENCE.

as previously stated, I'm cool with the Ten re-release now for a number of reasons...(the mix is indeed shitty, unplugged has been asked for, etc).

but as I said before...they can easily release b-sides/live dvds/other goodies separately...they don't need to tie in all the cool/unreleased stuff with an album re-release and charge us more for it.

i get the feeling that TEN is the only record that will get the super deluxe treatment. i can see them re-pressing the vinyls b/c people love the vinyls...maybe some b-sides, etc. but i doubt that they'll do much more than that.

i do think it's cool that they are doing this their way...and not letting the record co make it their project. it makes it a bit more personal.

just my .02!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    I hear ya. I'm buying the ten edition only for the unplugged dvd but skipped the fancy box set edition. It's obvious they are going to make a ton of dough even on the re releases, but the reason for it in their eyes is to give the songs all an opportunity to be heard with all the new technology and production that has come about since those earlier records. It's gonna be damn interesting to see what kind of goodies they throw into the other re releases to make me try and buy them. For an official unplugged dvd- the ten one has me sold. :D:o

agreed.
    i like the 'extras' included, thus why i went the super deluxe route, and quite honestly, i could do without any of it on vinyl, i wish ALL of it, especially a drop in the park, was on CD. i really don't know if i would go for rereleases of all the other albums, and most especially at such a price! so this may well be a one time thing. however, i do think it's cool they are doing it, get fans excited, get fresh interest and perhaps new fans, etc.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options

maybe we can make a deal with them...
    You (Pearl Jam) offer us those things from the Vault individually... instead of bundled up... AND...
    We (everyone who is not Pearl Jam) will quit stealing your stuff (and promise to pay for all the stuff we've already stolen).
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I wore out all my originals or they got stolen or left some place...no one is holding a gun to yer head and making you buy anything....Long live REISSUES
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    I hope every album gets the same treatment Ten is getting. That is all I have to say :D
  • Options
    Bulldog88 wrote:
    Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk and keep arguing but...

The whole "if you don't want it, don't buy it..." thing is invalid.

That's not the point I was making with this thread, the point I was making was they shouldn't be doing this re-release thing in the first place.

It's thier music...I'm pretty sure they can do whatever the hell they want with it.
    its actually not there music sony/epic owns it they can do whatever they wanna do with it which is why sony/epic is rereleasing all there cds. inturn pearl jam is doing all these packages for each one so they save face a little

• Options

ok, for the new, good mix, and b-sides, and unplugged, all of which you approve of (thank gawd), you will have to pay $31. that does not sound like a lot of money for all that stuff to me. so the things you said you approve of are being sold for a very reasonable price (not more. if they wanted to charge more, it would all be separate). not understanding...
  • Options
    I wore out all my originals or they got stolen or left some place...no one is holding a gun to yer head and making you buy anything....Long live REISSUES
    I want the 'Vs.' Edition to include a soundboard recording of the 1993 Indio gig.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I want the 'Vs.' Edition to include a soundboard recording of the 1993 Indio gig.
    ill take that on vinyl or cd or both. shoes for everyone, shoes for my friends

• Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    I hope every album gets the same treatment Ten is getting. That is all I have to say :D
    Same! Because I will hate to buy ordinary releases just to get a couple of extra b-sides (a la the RHCP rereleases). If I'm going to rebuy it (and I'll face facts, I am) I'd much rather pay for a decent package. Otherwise I could just buy the MP3s of the b-sides on itunes or something and I hate buying 1s and 0s!!
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    i get the feeling that TEN is the only record that will get the super deluxe treatment. i can see them re-pressing the vinyls b/c people love the vinyls...maybe some b-sides, etc. but i doubt that they'll do much more than that.

i do think it's cool that they are doing this their way...and not letting the record co make it their project. it makes it a bit more personal.

just my .02!

good point, i can agree with this.
    Cosmo wrote:
    maybe we can make a deal with them...
    You (Pearl Jam) offer us those things from the Vault individually... instead of bundled up... AND...
    We (everyone who is not Pearl Jam) will quit stealing your stuff (and promise to pay for all the stuff we've already stolen).

that would be a hell of a lot better than tying in all the cool stuff with re-releases and charging us more because we have to buy an album we already own JUST to get the extras.

ok, this point is like beating a dead horse. not what i was saying at any time and if you actually read and comprehended earlier points mentioned you would realize that.
    NewJPage wrote:
    ok, for the new, good mix, and b-sides, and unplugged, all of which you approve of (thank gawd), you will have to pay $31. that does not sound like a lot of money for all that stuff to me. so the things you said you approve of are being sold for a very reasonable price (not more. if they wanted to charge more, it would all be separate). not understanding...

i respectfully disagree. a remixed album with 6 b-sides = 17 songs = it's one album which should run 12-13 bucks. one unplugged dvd...should be like 10-12 bucks. so 22-25, all told. 31 is not OUTRAGEOUS but it is a slight rip.

let's be honest here and not act so shocked and like pearl jam can do no wrong....some of the merch is in fact a rip/overpriced...look at some of the prices of things in goods, it's obvious.