Options

Anyone Else Think The Rerelease Thing Is...

Comments

• Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    norm wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    did anyone ever stop to think that is sony/epic doing seeing as how they own those cds.

i really don't think people believe this

sony was gonna re-release the albums with or without the bands help....i, for one, am glad the band has decided to assist and seemingly control how the albums are re-released...i just don't understand many people's knee jerk reaction to the reissues as simply a money grab by the band...

+1
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    Avacado needs remastering???
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    as for the rest of the catalog getting re-released...i say bring it on! there will likely be some remastering on the earlier albums, but i seriously doubt we will get a remix of anything other than 10, because they don't need to be, and the band knows that. what we WILL most likely get is more b-sides, live dvds and live concerts, and memorabilia. if you don't want it, don't buy it.

as for the "why do i have to pay $31 for unplugged with an album i already have" idea...you don't already have it. you have the original, shitty mix of 10. you don't have the remixed version, plus the b-sides. so you are paying $31 for unplugged (not the youtube version) and a REMIXED version of 10, plus 6 b-sides. and if you don't want it, then don't buy it.

I, for one, am glad that PJ is involved in the rereleases. Capital is rereleasing radioheads catalog, and they are not happy with what is getting put on them, but they ARE NOT INVOLVED in the project, which lets the record company just do whatever they want. With PJ involved in a project that would be done w/ or w/out their input, they insure that it is better, and they give us stuff we want. I want EVERYTHING that they are putting in the super-deluxe boxed set.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    It's either Sony releases it on their own or the band can assist and make sure there is at least some quality control! I pick the latter! besides i think a remixed version of ANY of the albums would be cool...think of the Beatles Love album...that shit was cool!!

and as far as unplugged goes..those shitty you tube videos and fucked up boot leg DVD's with the big clock on the bottom and inferior sound quality isn't even fucking close to what an official remastered 5.1 is going to sound/look like!! see..some of us have entertainment systems with stereo's hooked up to our TV's so we can blast movies and concerts...i have 3 different boots of unplugged and i am salivating at the thought of an official released in 5.1 Dolby digital!!

I'm putting in for a vacation day at work on release day so i can listen to the new remixed version of ten..then watch the unplugged DVD..then download ten for rockband and fuck with my neighbors some more(all while getting a buzz on)...March 24th will be EPIC!!
    Yea bring it and the buzz on.....
  • Options
    NewJPage wrote:
    as for the "why do i have to pay $31 for unplugged with an album i already have" idea...you don't already have it. you have the original, shitty mix of 10. you don't have the remixed version, plus the b-sides. so you are paying $31 for unplugged (not the youtube version) and a REMIXED version of 10, plus 6 b-sides. and if you don't want it, then don't buy it.

Yeah, I'm not gonna buy it. There's no reason to.
  • Options
    NewJPage wrote:

ok, that's fine. i will buy it.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    NewJPage wrote:

For you. I am buying it. I don't buy posters, but I don't start a thread about it and bash the band for making money off of them or saying people are dumb for buying them.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options

It's dumb to buy them because they're already out.

And the posters thing is irrelevant...we're talking about RE-RELEASING albums that are ALREADY in existence. Comparing that to buying posters doesn't make sense logically; they don't re-release posters, lol.

Ha, I bet in 10 years they'll do Ten: The RE-re-release and all of you will gladly buy it.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688

It's dumb to buy them because they're already out.

And the posters thing is irrelevant...we're talking about RE-RELEASING albums that are ALREADY in existence. Comparing that to buying posters doesn't make sense logically; they don't re-release posters, lol.

Ha, I bet in 10 years they'll do Ten: The RE-re-release and all of you will gladly buy it.

But a lot of people buy posters and never do anything with them. Why do you care what people buy or don't buy?

Also there are songs and mixes on the album that are new and makes it worth it to people to buy them. Again don't buy it if you don't want to, but I honestly cant understand why you care what other people spend their money on.

You chastise the band for making this available, but you could look at it like they are giving fans what they want. If they were only releasing it as a super-deluxe version then there might be a reason to have a beef, but they are releasing it in four formats for different levels of fans. Fans have been asking for Unplugged as an official release since it aired in 1992.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    All you whiny bitches need one big collective slap up-side your fair weather fan ass heads!!!

no one gives a fuck whether you think they should do this or do that!!...you want the re-release?cool..get it! you don't want the re-release?cool...don't get it!! plain and fucking simple!

no one is putting a gun to your head or twisting your arm! ha,ha...we'd buy a bag of shit if the band shit in a bag...yeah i would...then I'd light it on fire and throw it on your porch!

i've never seen so many whining pussies get all flustered over nothing (worse than ticket time)...when if you actually consider yourself a fan you should be rejoicing instead of bitching.

oh...and making money isn't selling out!!how you make your money determines if you're a sell out!! re-releasing your material is far from selling out...so it's good some of you aren't buying the re-release..you can save up your money to buy a fucking clue!!
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,391
    I want an official MTV Unplugged DVD, and i've wanted one since I became a fan.
    I want to hear the re-mixed version of Ten.
    I want the re-mixed version on vinyl so I can get some more use out of my record player. Plus, it just sounds better on record.

Everything on offer is everything that I want, so I can't wait to get it. If it means it gets me re-interested in an album that sounds slightly stale to me then I'm all for it.

The future re-releases should be good if they dig deep into their vaults and we get a live DVD with each one. If you don't like it, don't get it. It means more copies for me and my friends.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    i got the super deluxe edition of TEN... but i don't think i will buy any of the others that are going to come out...

i mean TEN was what got me into PJ in the first place and that album is forever going to be a massive part of my life and always have a place in my heart, so there was no doubt about me buying this reissue. as for the other albums... while i honestly do love them all, i don't think i need them... especially at these prices. but i had to make an exception for ten.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    haha, you guys get so emotional and worked up, hahahaha.

i love it.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to th re-issues. There's gotta be a ton of stuff in the Pearl Jam attic that we have no idea about--especially from the early years. I have no idea what "10,000 Mile Blues" is, for example. I've never heard of it at all. I'll be glad to finally have a copy of "Brother" with lyrics and "Just a Girl" that are good quality and finished the way the band wants it to sound. Yes, I've heard the "Rarities & Unreleased Cuts" internal promo that leaked a while back, but some of that stuff was clearly not finished being mixed.

If "vs." came with a live DVD from that tour or a Bridge School CD/DVD or a bonus disc of unreleased songs, can you tell me that you wouldn't want it? Yeah, we've already heard a lot of the "Binaural" outtakes since a good deal of them were on "Lost Dogs," but what about the stuff that wasn't on it? I'd love a fully-mixed version of the "Light Years" demo, for example. That version was incredible. The reality is that the band is releasing something that their fans have been asking for--the stuff we haven't heard or seen before. And I don't think too many people would mind if the "Binaural" re-issue came with an alternate mix and maybe the tracklisting that was floated around a while back on the old board by whoever that was that seemed to be tight with the band--stonegroovesme or something like that.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    (Ok) wrote:
    '06 mastering technologies are so dated now. ;)
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,320
    I don't know much about recording and mastering techniques, but IMO Avocado sounds like a dubbed cassette.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    If they have to release things like this occasionally to help keep them touring and releasing new stuff and to lengthen their careers then I have no problem with it. Being indie and pure is great, but you can only last so long with that approach. I think at this point in their careers they are realizing that doing some of this stuff is a necessary evil if you will. They have seen it with other artists that they admire and they know that the ultimate buying decision lies with the fans/consumers. If they don't want it, they won't buy it.
    Brian
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    (Ok) wrote:

Have you ever blasted that album? It sounds like shit. It gets distorted like thats its job.

I was trying to listen to it on my ipod through a rental cars speakers and I literally couldn't listen to it. It was distorting even at low volumes.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    (Ok) wrote:

Have you ever blasted that album? It sounds like shit. It gets distorted like thats its job.

I was trying to listen to it on my ipod through a rental cars speakers and I literally couldn't listen to it. It was distorting even at low volumes.

avocado does have a bit of that "high volume" mastering thing done to it (whatever its called), which is a shame, but its not terrible. sounds good on vinyl! here's hoping that the re-issue of avocado (if it gets reissued, which i'm not sure it will) will have some of those 15 or so songs that remain unreleased from those sessions...
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,948
    I hope they do release the new Ten album via DVD-Audio! That would be sweet! 8-)
    True-HD audio? Oh mama! *drools
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,269
    I agree with the remastering of 10. The sound mix isn't the greatest, and the songs from 10 that are on the greatest hits album sound alot better.

I'm buying the super deluxe set, but pretty much just do get drop in the park on vinyl. Otherwise i'd probably of bought the unplugged dvd and a copy of the cd.

I don't think the other albums require remastering. I think they sound light years better than current mastering practices. Brenden O' Brien did a great job mixing vs, vitalogy and yield. They sound really good on crappy and excellent stereos. I don't really want to see them remixed.

I guess my answer is, I agree with the remastering of 10, but not the other albums. Then again I remember so many ideas posted on the old message pit that never came to fruition. Maybe it'll lose steam after the 10 re-release.
  • Options
    I'm glad they are re-releasing everything, and they are offering scaled down versions of the re-release at various price points, so everyone can have something..right? I personally prefer released merch. as opposed to pirating from the web.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    If you want it buy it...if you dont......don't.

Is it about the money?????....who cares....if you think the band didn't dream of making money when they formed..... ;)

Now I do believe the band really wanted to remix ten......they play the songs non-stop...the songs are in their blood...so why not remix....then share with us...and yea make some bucks along the way.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk and keep arguing but...

The whole "if you don't want it, don't buy it..." thing is invalid.

That's not the point I was making with this thread, the point I was making was they shouldn't be doing this re-release thing in the first place.

It compromises the integrity of the music.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    All you whiny bitches need one big collective slap up-side your fair weather fan ass heads!!!

no one gives a fuck whether you think they should do this or do that!!...you want the re-release?cool..get it! you don't want the re-release?cool...don't get it!! plain and fucking simple!

no one is putting a gun to your head or twisting your arm! ha,ha...we'd buy a bag of shit if the band shit in a bag...yeah i would...then I'd light it on fire and throw it on your porch!

i've never seen so many whining pussies get all flustered over nothing (worse than ticket time)...when if you actually consider yourself a fan you should be rejoicing instead of bitching.

oh...and making money isn't selling out!!how you make your money determines if you're a sell out!! re-releasing your material is far from selling out...so it's good some of you aren't buying the re-release..you can save up your money to buy a fucking clue!!

dude, you wanna bum a xanax? :D
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    everyone has made me start thinking do i really need this rerelease when I already have the original and I could get things cheaper through other means but is it just about money? Maybe maybe not. they are not a young band anymore. They might be marking some type of anniversary in their own mind. Who knows. Ten rocks but there bootlegs rock too. It is a lot of money. We a PJ fans can do whatever we want. I think we need not read too much into it. If we want it go buy it if not don't. They might want to make some more money but they don't need more money. so don't get down on the band for doing this
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    It's still their highest selling album, so there are lots of people still interested in it. You don't think they might've just thought it was a cool thing to do?

"Why not jazz it up for a new generation? While we're at it, why not make a deluxe version with a bonus DVD, but what? Apparently our fans keep asking for MTV Unplugged. OK, let's do that. And we have to have vinyl too! You know there's a small group of collectors, they'd love a big package of stuff let's throw in all the editions plus extra bonus stuff, live vinyl, that first cassette, etc. It'll be expensive, but it'll be worth it for those that want it. Sweet, there can't be anyone unhappy with us this time, right?"

Hmm...
  • Options
    pg305420 wrote:
    everyone has made me start thinking do i really need this rerelease when I already have the original and I could get things cheaper through other means but is it just about money? Maybe maybe not. they are not a young band anymore. They might be marking some type of anniversary in their own mind. Who knows. Ten rocks but there bootlegs rock too. It is a lot of money. We a PJ fans can do whatever we want. I think we need not read too much into it. If we want it go buy it if not don't. They might want to make some more money but they don't need more money. so don't get down on the band for doing this

Everyone in Pearl Jam is a multi-millionaire, easily.

They do not NEED any more money. Yet, they are still doing things like re-releasing their catalogue to make more.

When you look at everything they have done and stood for...it's just sad, that's all. It really is.
  • Options
    bazzer wrote:
    It's still their highest selling album, so there are lots of people still interested in it. You don't think they might've just thought it was a cool thing to do?

"Why not jazz it up for a new generation? While we're at it, why not make a deluxe version with a bonus DVD, but what? Apparently our fans keep asking for MTV Unplugged. OK, let's do that. And we have to have vinyl too! You know there's a small group of collectors, they'd love a big package of stuff let's throw in all the editions plus extra bonus stuff, live vinyl, that first cassette, etc. It'll be expensive, but it'll be worth it for those that want it. Sweet, there can't be anyone unhappy with us this time, right?"

Hmm...

Ha, you can slice it and dice it any way you want. It's still all about making money, plain and simple. That's all it is.
  • Options
    i'm sorry, but when was it ok to ever chastise people about how they spend their money? just because you dont see this as a good way to spend your money, doesn't mean other people see it the way you do. if we think it's a good idea, we will buy it, you aren't our mother, most of us here are adults and can make our own decisions. we are not buying it because we are sheep and will gladly buy whatever they throw at us. we are buying it for a numerous amount of reasons like:
    the original ten sounds like crap
    we want the dvd and not a shitty version on youtube
    we like collectibles
    etc
    no, it's not buying the same thing we already have, because we don't have a remixed/remastered version of it. i can see why they would rerelease ten, it's almost their 20th anniversary and they're rereleasing everything in time for it, fans have been asking for it for a good long while, the quality isn't great, etc. even if we have it, it is our right to want this and buy it. this isn't something they just decided "hey, what's the best way to milk our fans?" this is something we've been making petitions for and pleading for for a long time. they are basically doing what they want and what we have been asking for, and offering it 4 different ways. and i don't know about you but i certainly don't have all the vinyls. i didn't even have ten on vinyl until a few months ago. i didn't have much time to get around to it when it came out, seeing as how i was only 2 :oops:. and i dont believe i saw anywhere that the other albums they're rereleasing is going to be remixed/remastered in the same way they're doing it to ten, though i might be wrong. (and if i am, please save your rudeness. i don't need to be yelled at for making a mistake thank you.)
    you're not only making fun of us for buying something we want, but you're yelling at us for giving your our valid reasons behind it. (and i understand what you wanted to try and establish by making this thread, but it really sidetracked into you scolding us for buying whatever they throw at us.) i for one don't believe the band is selling out, i haven't yet heard a pearl jam song used for a swiffer commercial or used to sell a hummer. i believe they're rereleasing these albums because we have been begging and pleading for years for this to happen, plus they should be proud of being together for almost 20 years and should be able to celebrate however they want. i've never had a chance to be excited for the release of the albums ten through riot act and would love to have the chance now. there are a LOT of people out there who haven't had a chance to get all the records and i bet they're looking forward to owning them as much as i am. i dont see how giving the fans what they've been asking for, having petitions for, pleading and begging for, is a hinderance to their integrity. in fact, i think it shows just how awesome a band they are. i don't think there is much point in starting a thread to bash pearl jam like this. if, say, they started riding hummers and drove around clubbing baby seals out of their car doors, then perhaps that warrants a negative thread.
    i understand how you feel that they are compromising their integrity, but you must be able to see our side of it. we want something, they're giving it to us. that's how i see it, plain and simple.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!