Wine Connoisseurs - give me your secrets

Comments

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Been enjoying a few bottles of this lately for $10 per bottle..very good deals can be had from France via Cotes Du Rhone and Cotes Du Ventoux:

00014f.jpg

Drink up..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    Here is a good reliable pinot noir that won't break the bank..can be found for about $15, which is considered a bargain for good pinot:

macmurray-pinot-noir.jpg

Drink up.
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I've made the switch from Liquor to Red Wine (hey, I'm 18, drinking hard shit is what highschool was about), and I couldn't be happier!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    The Champ wrote:
    Here is a good reliable pinot noir that won't break the bank..can be found for about $15, which is considered a bargain for good pinot:

macmurray-pinot-noir.jpg

Drink up.

funny, i don't care for that very much. differing tastes, eh?
    i actually prefer mirrasou pinot noir, and it's about $9 a bottle.
    at the same $15 pricepoint, i prefer the coppolla diamond collection pinot, yummm. however, given just how much wine i consume :oops: i really try to keep my bottles on the cheap. i've actually developed a decent taste for little penguin pinot, from oz, and it's like $7 a bottle - tho it's definitely more 'bold' than the average pinot, but given how my my husband prefers shiraz, it's actually a good compromise for us. :lol:

i just rcently scored such a wine bargain! my fave malbec, coppolla diamond collection is usually $20 a bottle, they had a half price sale, so got a case at $9.99 a bottle! even with the shipping, still came out to just about $14 a bottle. yay! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    my secret is that if you drink one bottle of red and one bottle of white while watching a baseball game, you will wake up really hungover.

how does ed do it? i guess he probably gets to sleep in... damn corporate america!
    my secret is that if you drink one bottle of red and one bottle of white while watching a baseball game, you will wake up really hungover.

how does ed do it? i guess he probably gets to sleep in... damn corporate america!

i rarely get hungover, and if i do, my consumption must be CRAZY. :?
    i could easily drink 2 bottles of red ( i don't drink white) and have no ill effects the next day. don't think it's something to be proud of, just sayin'...some of us don't have issues with it. i am going to guess ed is the same there. also, sure, he can sleep in some more than likely. he IS a rock star afterall...;) me, i am currently trying to not drink at all during the week, but even when i was (which is as recently as last week :oops: ) never more than a bottle. now on weekends when i can sleep, another story entirely. :D but still, i am trying to cut consumption down considerably to save on my waistline, my overall health and sure...my wallet. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

i could easily drink 2 bottles of red ( i don't drink white) and have no ill effects the next day. don't think it's something to be proud of, just sayin'...some of us don't have issues with it. i am going to guess ed is the same there. also, sure, he can sleep in some more than likely. he IS a rock star afterall...;) me, i am currently trying to not drink at all during the week, but even when i was (which is as recently as last week :oops: ) never more than a bottle. now on weekends when i can sleep, another story entirely. :D but still, i am trying to cut consumption down considerably to save on my waistline, my overall health and sure...my wallet. :mrgreen:

yeah, i plan to rein that in myself once i get over the hump. wine has always given me nasty hangovers for some reason. i need to stick to beer. is there a beer connoisseurs thread?

next time i wanna get drunk without feeling as full of foam as a 6-pack makes me, im getting jameson's ;)

yeah, i plan to rein that in myself once i get over the hump. wine has always given me nasty hangovers for some reason. i need to stick to beer. is there a beer connoisseurs thread?

next time i wanna get drunk without feeling as full of foam as a 6-pack makes me, im getting jameson's ;)

i never liked beer. ever. i keep trying it on occasion b/c my husband most definitely is a beer afficionado/connoisseur ;) but i still can't develop a taste for it. the closest i can get to it is hard cider, and yes, that's not really beer. :P

as to wine and hangovers, it does make sense....the natural sugars in the wine are what do you in. in my younger years coupled with my dislike of beer, i used to drink the cheapo white wine. i would proceed to invariably vomit and have a nasty-ass hangover. :oops: thus i then hated wine and turned only to hard alcohol. :mrgreen: only in the past 2-3 years have i turned to wine, and red wine specifically, and i think like anything else, you simply develop a tolerance. or not. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

The Champ wrote:

macmurray-pinot-noir.jpg

Drink up.

at the same $15 pricepoint, i prefer the coppolla diamond collection pinot, yummm. however, given just how much wine i consume :oops: i really try to keep my bottles on the cheap. i've actually developed a decent taste for little penguin pinot, from oz, and it's like $7 a bottle - tho it's definitely more 'bold' than the average pinot, but given how my my husband prefers shiraz, it's actually a good compromise for us. :lol:

i just rcently scored such a wine bargain! my fave malbec, coppolla diamond collection is usually $20 a bottle, they had a half price sale, so got a case at $9.99 a bottle! even with the shipping, still came out to just about $14 a bottle. yay! :mrgreen:

I just bought a bottle of the Little Penguin Merlot, I'm looking forward to trying it!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    The Champ wrote:

macmurray-pinot-noir.jpg

Drink up.

Yes, probably have different tastes..Mirrasou, when I tried it was way too sweet for my liking..a bit on the cough syrup side as well....believe me, I've tried and have failed miserably to find a good pinot for under $15..To me, Mac Murray Ranch is the most balanced and reliable year to year vintage pinot I've had the pleasure of drinking....I used to be all about the Oregon pinots, but have been priced out..lol..and yes, usually look for bargains under $10..try the French wines from the Cotes Du Rhone/Ventoux regions and of course wines from Argentina/Chile/Spain continue to be great deals....and btw, Little Penguin is absolutely disgusting..I mean, I'd drink it if I had too, but damn ;) ..congrats on the score and enjoy..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Yes, probably have different tastes..Mirrasou, when I tried it was way too sweet for my liking..a bit on the cough syrup side as well....believe me, I've tried and have failed miserably to find a good pinot for under $15..To me, Mac Murray Ranch is the most balanced and reliable year to year vintage pinot I've had the pleasure of drinking....I used to be all about the Oregon pinots, but have been priced out..lol..and yes, usually look for bargains under $10..try the French wines from the Cotes Du Rhone/Ventoux regions and of course wines from Argentina/Chile/Spain continue to be great deals....and btw, Little Penguin is absolutely disgusting..I mean, I'd drink it if I had too, but damn ;) ..congrats on the score and enjoy..

haha, definitely funny!
    i do not find it sweet nor syrupy. definitely different tastes.
    and disgusting? i like it. hahahaha. glad i have my palate and not yours. makes my wine consumptiuon far less pricey. ;) did you try the coppolla pinot, tis the same price and i really enjoy that. i would probably drink that all the time but yes, $15 a bottle is a bit steep as pinot is my varietal of choice. tho i love, love, love the coppolla malbec, but that is even pricier! so hell yes, very happy with my score! i think i have a thing for coppolla wines in particular, and cali wines in general. my husband, overall, seems to have a preference for the aussie wines, but i also finds he likes much bolder flavors.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

The Champ wrote:

haha, definitely funny!
    i do not find it sweet nor syrupy. definitely different tastes.
    and disgusting? i like it. hahahaha. glad i have my palate and not yours. makes my wine consumptiuon far less pricey. ;) did you try the coppolla pinot, tis the same price and i really enjoy that. i would probably drink that all the time but yes, $15 a bottle is a bit steep as pinot is my varietal of choice. tho i love, love, love the coppolla malbec, but that is even pricier! so hell yes, very happy with my score! i think i have a thing for coppolla wines in particular, and cali wines in general. my husband, overall, seems to have a preference for the aussie wines, but i also finds he likes much bolder flavors.

All pinots under $10 are sweet and syrupy ;)..and if you like bold flavors, you really should try the French ones I recommended..very good quality for the price...like this one I buy from 'Yorkshire' down the street for only $7.99 is an insane bargain!! http://www.yorkshirewines.com/PROD/WEB/ ... r%20:delas The store generally sells everything for $2 less than any other place I've been to in the city...never tried Coppola, but will...Aussie reds I don't like, probably because I've had bad experiences with Yellow Tail..anyway, keep drinking..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    All pinots under $10 are sweet and syrupy ;)..and if you like bold flavors, you really should try the French ones I recommended..very good quality for the price...like this one I buy from 'Yorkshire' down the street for only $7.99 is an insane bargain!! http://www.yorkshirewines.com/PROD/WEB/ ... r%20:delas The store generally sells everything for $2 less than any other place I've been to in the city...never tried Coppola, but will...Aussie reds I don't like, probably because I've had bad experiences with Yellow Tail..anyway, keep drinking..

and i see now, you just form bold opinions....;) *I* don't like bold, hubby does. i go by my tastes when buying wine b/c i drink far more of it than he. :mrgreen: and see, hubby has always liked yellowtail. i don't dislike it, but i don't buy it. it also gives an ugly, ugly headache...and that i do not abide in my wine! i like mre subtlety in my flavors. thus my love for the coppolla malbec. it's juicy and yet, also smoky/chocolately/velvety....yummmm. christ, why am i reading this thread? it's wednesday, no wine until friday!

and i have tried just about every red wine under $10 at my fave local shop, and probably all the pinots, malbecs and shirazes under $15. :P i have gone to other shops as well, but this place has decent variety, good prices and close to home. also, i just like the people who own/run it. :) i also like the 10% discount on buying 12 bottles (which i know is quite common) and the guy carries it out to my car too. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Shit, actually I did try a Pinot I enjoyed that was under $10 ($9.99) a few weeks ago..very enjoyable by itself, but probably wouldn't hold up with food..

bg-bistro-pinot-noir-7.jpg
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    edited October 2009
    The Champ wrote:
    Shit, actually I did try a Pinot I enjoyed that was under $10 ($9.99) a few weeks ago..very enjoyable by itself, but probably wouldn't hold up with food..

can't see the image.
    can't you just post names? :lol:

ever try pepperwood grove (i think?) is pretty decent under $10 bottle.
    you are right tho, or i should say i agree since taste is subjective ;)....that most bottles under $10 aren't as tasty as those over, so at least when i do *splurge* i feel it's worth it. i don't think i've ever bought a bottle of wine for home consumption over $25 a bottle. i just don't want to fall in LOVE with a wine over that price, b/c you bet...i'd want it. often. so i do try to train my palate to be open to new flavors, and sure, enjoy the lower priced wines. some of them are quite good!
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

As my last name is Blackstone, I love showing up to a party with the Blackstone Pinot or Merlot. Not bad wine either!
    The Champ wrote:

can't see the image.
    can't you just post names? :lol:

ever try pepperwood grove (i think?) is pretty decent under $10 bottle.
    you are right tho, or i should say i agree since taste is subjective ;)....that most bottles under $10 aren't as tasty as those over, so at least when i do *splurge* i feel it's worth it. i don't think i've ever bought a bottle of wine for home consumption over $25 a bottle. i just don't want to fall in LOVE with a wine over that price, b/c you bet...i'd want it. often. so i do try to train my palate to be open to new flavors, and sure, enjoy the lower priced wines. some of them are quite good!

Why can't you see the image? I post the labels/bottles to make it easy to find when browsing for something new to try.....yes, Pepperwood Grove is the green labeled brand I think....I've tried their Merlot and didn't like it at all..probably around $5 per bottle....never spent $25 or more on a bottle either, but someone gave us a bottle of red, I forget the name, that was priced over $65....honestly, it was good but nothing special..maybe my palate is not sophisticated enough, and I hope it never is....
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Why can't you see the image? I post the labels/bottles to make it easy to find when browsing for something new to try.....yes, Pepperwood Grove is the green labeled brand I think....I've tried their Merlot and didn't like it at all..probably around $5 per bottle....never spend $25 or more on a bottle either, but someone gave us a bottle of red, I forget the name, that was priced over $65....honestly, it was good but nothing special..maybe my palate is not sophisticated enough, and I hope it never is....

i dunno why, but i can't see it. i had to copy/paste it into my browser so i could. so i did. anyhoo, i just meant...you could post the name and the image. that's all. :)

i do not care for merlot. at all. i mean, yes, it is drinkable....but i would never choose to unless no other option existed. and yes, it has a green label. it's a light pinot, not bad. pretty decent bang for the buck i think. and i too have had some very pricey wines, and some were really delish, others nothing special..but i agree, i do not want to develop such an expensive palate either. thus, i don't go out of my way to drink really pricey wines. $15 is a 'splurge' for me. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    Drink Silver Oak, Jordan, and Chimney Rock....you will feel quite good.....except for your wallet.
  • tried a new pinot noir the other night - italian - under $10 a bottle. bolla. was pretty damn tasty.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• We have a local winery here in NJ called Valenzano they just released a new Port Wine called "Jersey Devil" made with Brandy

:twisted:

As an occasional cigar smoker this wine is excellent with a stogie

Here is the write up on the wine :

Jersey Devil Port

Our deep rich and velvety Cynthiana wine fortified with brandy and oak aged for 3 years. Alc. 19.5% By Vol. Yes, that is correct. It is a full size bottle for less than $15.00 per bottle. Yes, we know that most ports on the market are packaged in a smaller bottle and sell well over $25.00. We simply dont care. Our goal at Valenzano Winery is to provide great quality wines at AFFORDABLE prices and that’s what we will continue to do. Jersey Devil Port -Some Legends Are Made Locally!

$14.99 per 750ml bottle
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    We have a local winery here in NJ called Valenzano they just released a new Port Wine called "Jersey Devil" made with Brandy

:twisted:

As an occasional cigar smoker this wine is excellent with a stogie

Here is the write up on the wine :

Jersey Devil Port

Our deep rich and velvety Cynthiana wine fortified with brandy and oak aged for 3 years. Alc. 19.5% By Vol. Yes, that is correct. It is a full size bottle for less than $15.00 per bottle. Yes, we know that most ports on the market are packaged in a smaller bottle and sell well over $25.00. We simply dont care. Our goal at Valenzano Winery is to provide great quality wines at AFFORDABLE prices and that’s what we will continue to do. Jersey Devil Port -Some Legends Are Made Locally!

$14.99 per 750ml bottle

That sounds interesting..

Anyway, on Wednesday night I had a bottle of Carmel Road Pinot Noir..I've had it by the glass on a few occasions, but it was my first bottle purchase...a bit pricey, but like someone once said..'life is too short to drink bad wine.'
    Very good:
    IMG_0362.jpg
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • i've just ordered $200 worth of wine... :oops:

:mrgreen:
    however, awesome deals!
    as many know, i am quite the fan of coppolla wines in general, and their diamond collection in particular. coppolla is having an AWESOME sale on many varietals on their site, as well as FREE shipping for orders of 12 bottles or more. this is significant savings. so between both, really, really great deals to be had. i ordered 17 bottles, so that averages to $13 a bottle, very nice! and amongst them, some were half price, mixed with a choice few pricier bottles to try out. very psyched. also, the dreamers are providing the beer and wine for our family thanksgiving celebration...and this is guaranteed delivery before the holiday...so perfect timing! 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

i've just ordered $200 worth of wine... :oops:

:mrgreen:
    however, awesome deals!
    as many know, i am quite the fan of coppolla wines in general, and their diamond collection in particular. coppolla is having an AWESOME sale on many varietals on their site, as well as FREE shipping for orders of 12 bottles or more. this is significant savings. so between both, really, really great deals to be had. i ordered 17 bottles, so that averages to $13 a bottle, very nice! and amongst them, some were half price, mixed with a choice few pricier bottles to try out. very psyched. also, the dreamers are providing the beer and wine for our family thanksgiving celebration...and this is guaranteed delivery before the holiday...so perfect timing! 8-)

Thanks for the tip, will have to look into it...enjoy the wine..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    okey doke...will be trying this soon:

Wine for a World of Flavors
    Pairing wines with Chinese cuisine can often present a challenge. Ingredients such as garlic, ginger, chili pepper, curry, lemongrass, turmeric and the many other pungent spices prevalent in Chinese cooking add such intense flavors and aromas to a dish that they either mask the flavors of the wine, or create an imbalanced taste when combined with the food. Because we at the winery enjoy Asian cuisine and admire the artistry and creativity that goes into preparing Dim Sum dishes, we sought to craft wines that could not just withstand intense tastes, but even enhance the flavors of classic Chinese cuisine when paired together. After finding just the right vineyards and conducting different blending trials we created two wines that work beautifully.

Today, we are proud to present Su Yuen Syrah and Riesling, a red and white wine created specially for pairing with a variety of Asian foods.
    http://store.franciscoppolawinery.com/s ... gories.asp

i realize now, i cannot link directly to a specific product..... :roll:

2008 Su Yuen Syrah
    The fruit selections we grow for our Syrah produce a medium-bodied red wine. We also use special winemaking techniques and only a limited amount of oak aging so that Su Yuen Syrah shows no tannins, but has a bright fruit quality and interesting spice notes that work well with Asian flavors. Smooth and supple on the palate, you’ll discover rich flavors of plum and cherries along with clove, peppery spice notes and a smoky finish.

Pairs perfectly with Asian dishes such as:
    Potstickers, Suckling pig, Korokke, Garlic pork, Galbi Gui short ribs, Pork dumplings, or Chicken with chili sauce.

and even going to try the white:

2009 Su Yuen Riesling

Our Riesling is grown in the cool climate of Monterey County, where chilly temperatures in the evening help the fruit retain an ideal measure of crisp, natural acidity for balance. The grapes are fermented exclusively in stainless steel until the wine reaches a level of off-dry so that there is a slight hint of sweetness left to offset spicy dishes. Enjoy beautiful aromas of tropical fruit and ginger, a crisp, refreshing edge of green apples and minerals, and lush, juicy flavors of pineapple, peaches and lime.

Pairs perfectly with Asian dishes such as: Seafood dumplings, Barbecued spareribs, Pad Thai, Dumplings with sweetened bean paste, Fish Hot Pot, Spring rolls, Bun Cha, and Yakitori chicken
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    Recently I have been enjoying the Bogle wines
    very good and under $15 a bottle
  • coachchriscoachchris Posts: 749
    Been awhile since I've seen any new additions and since most of you seem to enjoy Pinot Noir by the looks of things, I would recommend Amayna Pinot Noir out of Chile or David Bruce Pinot Noir out of the USA.

Amayna: $34(Canadian)

The influence of the sea and soil combined with slow ripening make for a deep ruby-red wine with a touch of violet and great aromatic complexity.

The nose evokes ripe red and black fruits with a soft, elegant note of vanilla and spice from the well-integrated oak.

Soft, round, mouth-filling tannins deliver a clean, elegant and persistent finish full of personality.

David Bruce: $45(Canadian)

This produces a palate that is soft, full and richly textured with a long silky finish.

Nose: An elegant expression of rich cherries, cranberries, rose petals, cinnamon and vanilla.

Palate: Red cherry, plum, vanilla, citrus, toasted pecan. Fine tannin structure and a long finish.

At the higher price points, these are the top two selling Pinot's in my store.
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    hey chris! great call on the david bruce! good wine!
    I love to turn you on
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    bump. :D

Actually what is your favorite bottle of wine per price range below (store price, not restaurant):

$10 $20 $40 $50+
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    bump. :D

Actually what is your favorite bottle of wine per price range below (store price, not restaurant):

$10 $20 $40 $50+

All in Canadian Dollars :lol:

$10 White, Casa Viva (previously Casa Del Bosque) Chilean, Sauvignon Blanc
    $10 Red, Tarapaca Chilean, Cab/Sauv

$20 White, Santa Margherita, Italian Pinot Grigio
    $20 Red, La Mascota, Argentina, Cab/Sauv

$40 White, Louis Jadot, French, Chablis
    $40 Red, St. Francis, American, Zinfandel

$50+ White, Chateau Beaucastle, French, Blend
    $50+ Red, Any Barolo, Italian, Nebbiolo
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.