The NEW Football/Soccer Thread

13»

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Ronaldo off to Madrid..

Man Utd accept £80 million offer.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    dunkman wrote:
    Ronaldo off to Madrid..

Man Utd accept £80 million offer.

£80 million for that cock. I hope he gets injured in pre-season training and misses the first 6 months. :lol:
  • Fu ManchuFu Manchu Posts: 168
    They'll need to buy a new roller for the old trafford pitch now he isnt there to do the job on matchdays.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Fu Manchu wrote:
    They'll need to buy a new roller for the old trafford pitch now he isnt there to do the job on matchdays.

Ooh, Zing! 8-)

We could buy Drogba, he does the job much better.

Seriously though, we should sell that Anderson gobshite while we're at it - and get a few decent replacements. Spend the 80 million on scientific research to find a way to get Solskjaer playing again. Maybe buy Henrik Larsson back too...just for the novetly?

We should buy a serious midfielder though, Carrick & Fletcher rock, Hargraeves is too injury-prone. There needs to be one more good central holding player.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Thank You Brazil!

Suck it Italy! :mrgreen:
    NERDS!
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Miracle of Miracles, the US needed a six goal differential between Brazil beating Italy and US beating Egypt. Final scores: Brazil 3 - Italy 0 and US 3 - Egypt 0. Holy crap. Now we just have to beat Spain. I think they're overrated. :D Seriously, nobody can beat Spain. They haven't even been scored on in this tournament. But bravo to the US for advancing anyway. They beat all kind of odds to get here.
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    dunkman wrote:
    Australia have qualified for the World Cup!! Fuck yeah!

congrats... or as they say in Oz... congratso

Or as Las Vegas would say . . . 1,000,000-1 odds of getting out of the 1st round of group play. ;)

don't you remember Germany :lol:

the 1,000,000-1 odds of getting out of the group stages will go to North Korea
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
    gabers wrote:
    Miracle of Miracles, the US needed a six goal differential between Brazil beating Italy and US beating Egypt. Final scores: Brazil 3 - Italy 0 and US 3 - Egypt 0. Holy crap. Now we just have to beat Spain. I think they're overrated. :D Seriously, nobody can beat Spain. They haven't even been scored on in this tournament. But bravo to the US for advancing anyway. They beat all kind of odds to get here.

They did well. And Egypt are no slouches, 3-0 was a great result. It was weird that Egypt beat Italy 1-0, but then kinda just fell apart against USA. Power to USA for getting the 3 goals though. Good to see Brazil play well again at an international tournament.
    JordyWordy wrote:
    gabers wrote:

They did well. And Egypt are no slouches, 3-0 was a great result. It was weird that Egypt beat Italy 1-0, but then kinda just fell apart against USA. Power to USA for getting the 3 goals though. Good to see Brazil play well again at an international tournament.

How about the possibility of Ireland and N. Ireland both making the WC?! What are their chances you think?
    edited June 2009
    gabers wrote:
    JordyWordy wrote:
    gabers wrote:

How about the possibility of Ireland and N. Ireland both making the WC?! What are their chances you think?

The chances of both Ireland & Northern Ireland playing in the same WC are slim to none, and if either of us qualify it would be through the playoffs.

Rep of Ireland should have beat Italy away, draw was great result, but on the night we should have won it. Our squad is getting stronger, but we are missing key players like Steven Reid, Stephen Ireland, Andy Reid & Clinton Morrison... but hey, we're doing very well without them for now.

"Norn Iron" (2nd place in their group) have to play Poland (3rd) away in the next game. Poland are the only real competition for the play off place in that group. I hope they get through, Theyve had a few "giant-killing" games in recent years (they beat Spain and England), and I think they could cause a few upsets at a tournament. Theyre a really organised and very young team.

Problem for both teams is that even if you get a playoff spot, you can get drawn against a brilliant team and not qualify.... and losing in the playoffs sucks!
    Post edited by JordyWordy on
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    JordyWordy wrote:
    The chances of both Ireland & Northern Ireland playing in the same WC are slim to none, and if either of us qualify it would be through the playoffs.

Rep of Ireland should have beat Italy away, draw was great result, but on the night we should have won it. Our squad is getting stronger. Our squad needs the likes of Steven Reid, Stephen Ireland, Andy Reid & Clinton Morrison, but hey, we're doing very well without them for now.

"Norn Iron" (2nd place in their group) have to play Poland (3rd) away in the next game. Poland are the only real competition for the play off place in that group. I hope they get through, Theyve had a few "giant-killing" games in recent years (they beat Spain and England), and I think they could cause a few upsets at a tournament. Theyre a really organised and very young team.

Problem for both teams is that even if you get a playoff spot, you can get drawn against a brilliant team and not qualify.... and losing in the playoffs sucks!

If we both qualify for the play offs...we'll probably get each other :roll: but it would be great for both to qualify, I've been really impressed with NI in recent years and they deserve to qualify.....ROI unfortunately I'm worried that we will sit back and defend against italy when they are clearly there for the taking...worst case scenario is we go 1-0 up against any team in our group cause then we just sit back and take the onslaught even against the "lesser" teams...but my fingers are crossed and the Trap is doing a solid job 8-)
    I need a coffee!
    Irish Al wrote:
    JordyWordy wrote:

Rep of Ireland should have beat Italy away, draw was great result, but on the night we should have won it. Our squad is getting stronger. Our squad needs the likes of Steven Reid, Stephen Ireland, Andy Reid & Clinton Morrison, but hey, we're doing very well without them for now.

If we both qualify for the play offs...we'll probably get each other :roll: but it would be great for both to qualify, I've been really impressed with NI in recent years and they deserve to qualify.....ROI unfortunately I'm worried that we will sit back and defend against italy when they are clearly there for the taking...worst case scenario is we go 1-0 up against any team in our group cause then we just sit back and take the onslaught even against the "lesser" teams...but my fingers are crossed and the Trap is doing a solid job 8-)

He is doing a solid job, and for the most part his selections have been justified (all except Glenn Whelan, who hasnt really influenced a single game yet. We have limited options there, but still, Whelan? :roll: ). Keith Andrews is getting better by the game, St Ledger and Folan look the part, there's a lot of positives. Stauntons reign depressed the shite out of me, but Trap is in and I'm excited again when im watching the games :D

But I totally agree with you abou the whole "going one goal up" problem. They just cant seem to build on / hang on to a lead!!! :evil: It was good to see them go hell for leather at Italy in Bari, but Trap admitted he wouldnt have done that if they hadnt been down to 10 men....which is ominous for those of us wishing he would have an attacking approach at home. :|
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    JordyWordy wrote:
    He is doing a solid job, and for the most part his selections have been justified (all except Glenn Whelan, who hasnt really influenced a single game yet. We have limited options there, but still, Whelan? :roll: ). Keith Andrews is getting better by the game, St Ledger and Folan look the part, there's a lot of positives. Stauntons reign depressed the shite out of me, but Trap is in and I'm excited again when im watching the games :D

But I totally agree with you abou the whole "going one goal up" problem. They just cant seem to build on / hang on to a lead!!! :evil: It was good to see them go hell for leather at Italy in Bari, but Trap admitted he wouldnt have done that if they hadnt been down to 10 men....which is ominous for those of us wishing he would have an attacking approach at home. :|

Agreed, Whelan is waaaaaaaaaaay out of his depth. I dont subscribe to this whole "Andy Reid is Irelands Kaka" shite but he would be better than Whelan. I was very impressed with Folan in the last game, St Ledger did ok, don't know why we have Zinadine Kilbane at left back though, there has got to be a semi decent young left back out their. The change in FIFA rules regarding those who've played at under 21 can now change country means we could be hitting the likes of Kevin Nolan, Mark Noble etc who would be a hugeeeeeeeeee improvement on what we have in midfield at the moment.

I suppose we know what we're getting with Trap (who is dead right in the whole Stephen Ireland affair by the way!). He said from the start that we needed to stop conceding goals and to get a solid defense which he is concentrating on, its just unfortunate that we dont have a single world class attacking minded player that can unlock a defense on his own. Thats why I hate hearing England "fans" complaining about Gerrard, Rooney, Lumpard etc, I would kill for 1 of those in the Ireland team. If you compared the 2 best available teams, the only player that would get into the England 1st team ahead of his counterpart would be Given.
    I need a coffee!
    Irish Al wrote:
    Agreed, Whelan is waaaaaaaaaaay out of his depth. I dont subscribe to this whole "Andy Reid is Irelands Kaka" shite but he would be better than Whelan. I was very impressed with Folan in the last game, St Ledger did ok, don't know why we have Zinadine Kilbane at left back though, there has got to be a semi decent young left back out their. The change in FIFA rules regarding those who've played at under 21 can now change country means we could be hitting the likes of Kevin Nolan, Mark Noble etc who would be a hugeeeeeeeeee improvement on what we have in midfield at the moment.

I suppose we know what we're getting with Trap (who is dead right in the whole Stephen Ireland affair by the way!). He said from the start that we needed to stop conceding goals and to get a solid defense which he is concentrating on, its just unfortunate that we dont have a single world class attacking minded player that can unlock a defense on his own. Thats why I hate hearing England "fans" complaining about Gerrard, Rooney, Lumpard etc, I would kill for 1 of those in the Ireland team. If you compared the 2 best available teams, the only player that would get into the England 1st team ahead of his counterpart would be Given.

Hehe, even the 2nd & 3rd string England teams are miles better than ours!! It'll be interesting to see who comes under the new rules...I doubt we'd get Noble, he probably fancies his chances of making it to the senior set-up in England (id fancy his chances aswell to be honest!). There'll probably be a few surprises with that change.

I think Stephen Kelly or Darren O'Dea will get the LB spot in the longterm, but for now Kelly should get it. That at least would free Kilbane up for the midfield role. Then we could simply put Whelan in a blender, pour his remains down the drain, and forget that he ever played for our country. :)

There are a some players with international experience who could replace Whelan.....Colin Healy is rocking it hard for Cork City these days :D, likewise Stephen McPhail, Michael Doyle, and uhm, Darren Potter and Graham Kavanagh.....uhm,......eh......um :? ;)

Seriously though, John Joe O'Toole and Owen Garvan should be given a run out in friendlies for an attacking midfield option.

Hehehe, Kinda highlights the thing you were saying about England fans sounding ridiculous when they whinge!!!!
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    ... anyone follwoing the US v Spain Confederation Cup match?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    jimed14 wrote:

you mean one of the greatest victories in modern US soccer history?? I'm stuck at work all afternoon but will watch the replay tonite at 11PM.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    chromiam wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

you mean one of the greatest victories in modern US soccer history?? I'm stuck at work all afternoon but will watch the replay tonite at 11PM.

it was fantastic ... I won't say more than that.

But, it didn't happen in the World Cup, (which, the US still hasn't qualified for) ... so, it's a great victory, but, until they do it in the big show ... it's not nearly the greatest.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    jimed14 wrote:
    chromiam wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

it was fantastic ... I won't say more than that.

But, it didn't happen in the World Cup, (which, the US still hasn't qualified for) ... so, it's a great victory, but, until they do it in the big show ... it's not nearly the greatest.

that's why I said one of... I mean almost any team can beat another in a friendly but the World Cup is a whole nother stage.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... 6415315191

Oh my f&%*ing god, that is the final nail in the coffin. What are they thinking of??? :oops: :cry:
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
    [/quote] it was fantastic ... I won't say more than that.

But, it didn't happen in the World Cup, (which, the US still hasn't qualified for) ... so, it's a great victory, but, until they do it in the big show ... it's not nearly the greatest.[/quote]

that's why I said one of... I mean almost any team can beat another in a friendly but the World Cup is a whole nother stage.[/quote]

It's not the World Cup but Spain has been unbeatable. They're the #1 team in the world and lost against the US with all of their top players in the country that hosts the World Cup next year. Got to give this US team credit, this was a huge win. Now they've got to probably play Brazil on Sunday, who are also kind of good. What a crazy tournament. Who knows what could happen.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    382284_10200238116331496_563913191_n.jpg

:lol:

classic Zenit fans, bad bad bad