The recipe thread!

13»

Comments

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    cdp1223 wrote:

OMG......*drools*
    that sounds amazing.......mmmmmm.

It was seriously awesome. And SO EASY. I can't imagine how I ever paid $4 for an order of spring rolls before! I think the ingredients to make about 30 cost me *maybe* $5.

Geez!...that's Cheap...Try coming to PERTH...where "Cheap" is an *Unheard* Word!... :lol:
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Prepare to be rocked!

My Grandma's Pumpkin Bars

Ingredients:

BARS
    4 eggs
    1.5 c sugar
    1 c vegetable oil
    1 x 16 oz can pumpkin
    2 c flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp salt (optional)
    1 tsp baking soda

FROSTING
    3 oz cream cheese
    1/2 c butter**
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 c powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. Beat together eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin until light and fluffy.
    2. Stir together flower, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
    3. Add dry mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix thoroughly.
    4. Spread in ungreased 15 x 10 x 1 pan.
    5. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.*
    6. Allow bars to cool completely.
    7. Combine frosting ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.**
    8. Frost with cream cheese icing.

*I have found that I need to add an additional 15 minutes to the cook time at this temperature. To be safe, cook at the prescribed time and temperature and test the center of the pan with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the bars are done cooking. If it comes out with any batter on it, they must continue to cook.

**Do NOT melt the butter prior to mixing the frosting. Cut it in to slices so that it is easier to mix.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    glad to see this thread revived

can I make those pumpkin bars with fresh pumpkin?

god knows, I have a few pounds that could be cooked into something
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    ^^I've not made this recipe with actual pumpkin before so to be honest I'm not sure how the conversion would go. I would suspect that you might also have to compensate with some additional spices since it appears that the canned pumpkin has some in, but I couldn't tell you what, or how much.

If you go ahead and try, please post how it turned out. I'd like to try it too. :)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    dunkman wrote:
    1 mars bar
    1 tray of batter

roll mars bar in batter. deep fry for 8 minutes. eat. get arteries unclogged.

I've tried a battered mars bar at my fish and chip shop. By the time I got it home, it was all soggy and yuck. :| Maybe if it was freshly pulled out of the fat and crispy, it may be nicer. Maybe....
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • I did this one last night...pizza bake

1 can of biscuits to cover bottom of dish
    1 lb. hamburger meat browned and then add pizza/spaghetti sauce
    shredded cheeses of your choice

I put two layers of pepperoni on top of the biscuits before adding the ground beef.
    Then, bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
    Add shredded cheese and cook until melted

I'm no cook but i actually pulled it off...even my toughest critic agreed I did well....she was quite shocked
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    BUTTERED CHICKEN

Serves 4-6

100g unsalted butter
    1tbsp oil
    2 medium onions chopped
    1 tsp fresh ginger grated
    2 tsp garam masala
    2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2-3 cloves garlic crushed
    1 tsp salt
    3 whole green cardamom pods
    3 whole black peppercorns
    150 ml natural yogurt
    2 tbsp tomato puree/paste
    1 skinless chicken piece cubed per person or the amount you want
    water
    2 whole bay leaves
    150 ml single cream

1. In a bowl mix together all the spices, tomato paste and yogurt, mix well, add the cubed chicken and marinate for a couple of hours.

2. Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan, add onions and fry till golden brown.

3. Reduce heat slightly, add chicken and all the marinade, fry quite vigorously for 7-10 mins.

4. Add some of the water and the bay leaves and leave to simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally. Add more water gradually if it looks too dry.

5. Add cream and cook for a further 10-15 mins till sauce is thickened to your
    own preference.

Also try to remember to remove the cardamoms and peppercorns before serving!!

Serve with rice

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Braised meatballs in goulash sauce

For 3-4

Enough meatballs for your number
    1 tablespoon seasoned flour
    1 dessertspoon olive oil

For the sauce:
    1 dessertspoon olive oil
    400g can Chopped Tomatoes
    1 large green pepper deseeded and cut into 2.5cm pieces
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon Paprika, plus a little extra
    3 tablespoons half fat crème fraîche
    1 teaspoon olive oil

You'll need a medium-sized flameproof casserole with a tight-fitting lid

Preheat the oven to 140C, gas mark 1.
    Method

1. You need to begin by first browning the meatballs. To do this, add the oil to the casserole and whilst it’s heating coat the meatballs lightly with seasoned flour. When it’s smoking hot, brown them four at a time, then transfer them to a plate.
    2. After that, make the sauce in the same pan. Heat the oil, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic, cook for another minute, add in the paprika and any remaining seasoned flour, and give it a stir to soak up the juices. Then add the tomatoes, a little salt and bring it up to simmering point, stirring all the time.
    3. Now add the meatballs and bring it back to a gentle simmer, then put a lid on and transfer to the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour. Then stir in the green pepper, put the lid back on and cook for a further half hour.
    4. Lightly stir in the crème fraîche into the meatballs and sauce to give a marbled effect. Serve with pasta or mashed potatoe.