The recipe thread!

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I wanna get back to cooking stuff from scratch... been slipping lately :oops: and eating microwave meals straight from the devil :D so please share any 'from scratch' recipes you have... particularly sauces I'm interested in. I've already mastered the garlic and mushroom sauce.... but what about some tomato sauces?
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• January is probably the only month of the year I don't grill outside, so it's time to use the slow cooker, and Grilled Tuna Chili is one of my favorites. I will forever lose any credibility with our Texas board members as this chili not only has lots of beans, but uses tuna instead of red meat.

Good quality tuna steaks go a long way here (sushi grade if possible), the smoked paprika is hard to find but really adds a "meaty" flavor to this otherwise meatless dish, and I use a slow cooker instead of the dutch oven.

Recipe credit goes to Chicago's #1 fishmonger, Dirk's Fish (http://www.dirksfish.com), I took a tailgating class at his shop and this was my highlight.

Ingredients

Chili Base:

1/2 cup canola oil
    3 cups sweet onions, chopped
    1 1/2 cups sweet peppers(orange or yellow), chopped
    1/3 cup fresh garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh serrano pepper, finely chopped
    2-28 ounce cans whole tomatoes including juice, crushed
    1-6 ounce can tomato paste
    2-15 ounce cans tomato sauce
    2-16 ounce cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    2-15 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    2-15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon oregano
    4 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons coriander seed, crushed
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    1 teaspoon pimento de La Vera (hot smoked paprika)

Wet Rub for Tuna:

2 pounds fresh tuna, cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons coriander seed, crushed
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon pimento de La Vera (hot smoked paprika)
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions

Chili Base:
    Heat oil in large Dutch oven. Add vegetables. Saute at medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and sauce. Add seasonings and spices. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Add beans. Simmer on low for another 30 minutes to four hours. Start marinating tuna with one hour left.

Tuna:
    Combine seasonings and spices in a bowl, add olive oil and mix well. Toss tuna in rub, coat completely.Pour tuna and marinade into ziplock bag. You should only marinate fish for about an hour total and remove it from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before grilling.
    Preheat a perforated grill pan about 10 minutes before adding fish. Place tuna in a single layer on pan, toss with tongs until all sides are seared, about 2 to 3 minutes.
    When tuna is cooked, add it to simmering chili base. Stir fish in gently so as not to break up pieces.
    Serves 10 to 12 people.
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Would you mind posting the mushroom and garlic sauce recipe? Sounds yummy!!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • January is probably the only month of the year I don't grill outside, so it's time to use the slow cooker, and Grilled Tuna Chili is one of my favorites. I will forever lose any credibility with our Texas board members as this chili not only has lots of beans, but uses tuna instead of red meat.
    I just want you to know that I'm a 4th generation Texan and my family has ALWAYS cooked our chili with beans. :D
    I've never heard of using tuna but making chili is all about being resourceful. ;)

Whoprincess
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    edited January 2009
    Would you mind posting the mushroom and garlic sauce recipe? Sounds yummy!!
    It's simple... I use a clove of garlic per person :D and 4 large mushrooms pp.

So ya crush the garlic into plenty of olive oil, some soy sauce and black pepper... mix well. Use this as your oil... heat this on the pan and fry the mushrooms into it... very very very simple :) I usually add chicken and sometimes broccoli... and do some tagliatelle and mix that in with it. Tis yummy!

If ya wanna be really posh... after adding the mushrooms, you can also add cream and/or white wine... and cook it over a low heat til it gets thick.
    Post edited by Heineken Helen on
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • thank you stugots :) I'm not a big fish OR chilli person... but I'm sure plenty of people will foam at the mouth at that recipe :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    FETA STUFFED CHICKEN

4 skinned boned chicken breast halves -- (4-ounce)
    1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese with basil and tomato -- (1 ounce)
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 1/2 teaspoons margarine -- melted
    3 cups torn spinach
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Dredge chicken in breadcrumbs.
    Spoon 1 tablespoon of cheese onto each piece of chicken, and fold chicken in half. Place folded breast halves in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drizzle margarine over chicken. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until done.
    Combine spinach and basil in a bowl, and drizzle with vinegar and oil. Sprinkle pepper over salad; toss well.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

LINGUINE WITH CLAM SAUCE

1 pkg. of linguine
    2 cans (6 1/2 oz. each) of minced or chopped clams (undrained)
    1/4 cup margarine or butter
    1/4 cup finely chopped onions
    1 clove garlic (minced)
    2 tablespoons all purpose flour
    1 cup of half- and half
    2 teaspoons of chicken instant boullion
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon dry sherry
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 teaspoon of pepper Drain clams, reserving liquid.

Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in reserved clam liquid, half-and-half and boullion; cook and stir until thickened. Add clams, cheese, sherry, parsley, heat throughly, stirring occasionaly. (do not boil) serve over cooked linguine

• ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    ZESTY Chicken Breasts
    :)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen
    1/3 cup white wine vinegar
    1/3 cup water
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon garlic salt
    ½ teaspoon ground black pepper

Hold chicken under lukewarm running water 1 to 2 minutes to remove ice glaze. In small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to boiling. Place chicken on rack in broiler pan. Brush with half of sauce; broil about 6 inches from heat for 8 minutes. Turn over and baste with remaining sauce. Broil 8 to 9 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear. 4 servings.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • FETA STUFFED CHICKEN

4 skinned boned chicken breast halves -- (4-ounce)
    1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese with basil and tomato -- (1 ounce)
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 1/2 teaspoons margarine -- melted
    3 cups torn spinach
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Dredge chicken in breadcrumbs.
    Spoon 1 tablespoon of cheese onto each piece of chicken, and fold chicken in half. Place folded breast halves in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drizzle margarine over chicken. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until done.
    Combine spinach and basil in a bowl, and drizzle with vinegar and oil. Sprinkle pepper over salad; toss well.
    :eek: that sounds FANTASTIC. Again, not big on seafood so i'll give the clam one a miss... but I may have to try THIS one at some point.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • ZESTY Chicken Breasts

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen
    1/3 cup white wine vinegar
    1/3 cup water
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon garlic salt
    ½ teaspoon ground black pepper

Hold chicken under lukewarm running water 1 to 2 minutes to remove ice glaze. In small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to boiling. Place chicken on rack in broiler pan. Brush with half of sauce; broil about 6 inches from heat for 8 minutes. Turn over and baste with remaining sauce. Broil 8 to 9 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear. 4 servings.
    Mmmmm... also sounds yum :) I've a feeling the chicken doesn't have to be frozen though... could you just cook the chicken in that in the pan?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    :eek: that sounds FANTASTIC. Again, not big on seafood so i'll give the clam one a miss... but I may have to try THIS one at some point.

It's really really really good. I like to mix it up sometimes and use different flavors of feta (i.e. garlic & herb). Also, it's a really low cal/low fat recipe...it's only 5 Weight Watchers points (for those that do WW).

• :eek: that sounds FANTASTIC. Again, not big on seafood so i'll give the clam one a miss... but I may have to try THIS one at some point.

It's really really really good. I like to mix it up sometimes and use different flavors of feta (i.e. garlic & herb). Also, it's a really low cal/low fat recipe...it's only 5 Weight Watchers points (for those that do WW).
    :) excellent... yeh, I like to mess around with stuff like that... once I've mastered something, I do different variants.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    ZESTY Chicken Breasts
    Mmmmm... also sounds yum :) I've a feeling the chicken doesn't have to be frozen though... could you just cook the chicken in that in the pan?

For sure. It will just cook a little faster, so be careful to not dry it out. :)
    And you don't need a broiler pan, it works fine in like a cake pan or something (I'm a college kid, I'm resourceful!)
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • ZESTY Chicken Breasts

For sure. It will just cook a little faster, so be careful to not dry it out. :)
    And you don't need a broiler pan, it works fine in like a cake pan or something (I'm a college kid, I'm resourceful!)
    That's cool... i don't even know what a broiler pan is :D but yeh, I'm good at cooking chicken.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    For the non-Americans thought this may come in handy when trying to work out measurements ... as I was :? in relation to 'cups' :P

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/co ... ments.html
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I suppose someone's already offered the beans on toast recipe ?? :|
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Chime wrote:
    For the non-Americans thought this may come in handy when trying to work out measurements ... as I was :? in relation to 'cups' :P

if i was a good chef and moved to America to teach classes there, i'd use Worcestershire sauce in every one of my recipes just so i could hear them try and pronounce it ;):D

i wouldnt use any erbs though.... that'd drive me mad.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/meat ... st-chicken

awesome
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    That's cool... i don't even know what a broiler pan is :D but yeh, I'm good at cooking chicken.

I knew having lived in the States would come in handy at some point :twisted:

Broiling is what we call grilling so it's basically putting things under the grill to you and me :D

Bet you never thought a recipe thread could get so confusing so quickly ... but with different measurements for liquids, dry goods, temps you may need a few conversion charts :lol:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    dunkman wrote:
    Chime wrote:

if i was a good chef and moved to America to teach classes there, i'd use Worcestershire sauce in every one of my recipes just so i could hear them try and pronounce it ;):D

i wouldnt use any erbs though.... that'd drive me mad.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/meat ... st-chicken

awesome

don't get a job as a chef in America Dunk, you'll never get a day off, ergo I hear they can e pretty hungry there :lol: Also, you'll need a frying pan the size of a dustbin lid to get those 18lb steaks in.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    ~Chocolate Trifle~
    1 box of chocolate cake mix
    2 boxes of chocolate pudding
    1 either 12 or 16 oz of cool whip
    1 bag of Heath Bar {already cut into pieces}

A Trifle Bowl :)

After cake has cooled...cut up into pieces to fit bottom layer of bowl...then just start layering...
    first layer is cake, then pudding, then whip cream, and then top off with heath bar pieces :D

This recipe is awesome :D it's easy to make, and everyone love's it... Enjoy ~ Yummy ;)

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I make an awesome tomato sauce that I got out of the Sunday Indo.

Can of tomatoes,
    4 or 5 chopped tomatoes,
    Bitta ketchup,
    Tablespoon of puree
    and the flavour... oregano, garlic, mixed herbs, sea salt and black pepper.

Simmer for about 20mins. Add meat of choice, and 100ml of beef/chicken stock to thicken it and add more flavour. Simmer for 10 mins.

I also mix some garlic granules with real butter and put it on to sliced baguette. Makes yummy garlic bread :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Chime wrote:

I knew having lived in the States would come in handy at some point :twisted:

Broiling is what we call grilling so it's basically putting things under the grill to you and me :D

Bet you never thought a recipe thread could get so confusing so quickly ... but with different measurements for liquids, dry goods, temps you may need a few conversion charts :lol:
    :D thanks chime... your translation skills never cease to amaze me... you're the only one who can understand Americans... and Scots :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Jennytree wrote:
    I make an awesome tomato sauce that I got out of the Sunday Indo.

Can of tomatoes,
    4 or 5 chopped tomatoes,
    Bitta ketchup,
    Tablespoon of puree
    and the flavour... oregano, garlic, mixed herbs, sea salt and black pepper.

Simmer for about 20mins. Add meat of choice, and 100ml of beef/chicken stock to thicken it and add more flavour. Simmer for 10 mins.

I also mix some garlic granules with real butter and put it on to sliced baguette. Makes yummy garlic bread :D
    :) thank you... i've never made tomato sauce from scratch :oops: shameful I know lol, so I'm gonna have to try that one... or Jamie Oliver has a good one on his site too.

That chocolate trifle sounds deliciously dangerous :shock:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • mmm... Neven Maguire is the wannabe Irish Jamie Oliver... he's fantastic though, been to his restaurant several times. Here's his recipe for steak diane and garlic mash :shock:

http://www.flogasni.com/flogasforliving ... year20.php
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • This is my favourite recipe of his.. I've tried it a few times and it's sooo easy. The sweet and sour sauce is yum too and on days I've been poor or couldn't go to the shop I've made this up with rice :D (things like sesame seeds and cranberry sauce you don't always have lying around so I've made it without... it kinda misses the cranberry sauce though but I'm sure there's some obvious substitute)

Crispy fried brie and sweet and sour sauce:
    Ingredients

150 g / 6 oz cheese e.g. Brie
    1 tbsp medium curry powder
    1 tbsp chilli powder
    1 tbsp sesame seeds
    100 g / 4 oz breadcrumbs
    1 tbsp flour
    2 eggs, beaten in a large bowl
    Frying oil
    Seasoning

Sauce

1 tablespoon cranberries
    ½ tablespoon olive oil
    100 g / 4 oz mixed peppers, diced
    1 tbsp onion diced
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    ½ tbsp dark soy sauce
    150ml / ¼ pint vegetable stock
    1 tbsp wine vinegar
    ½ tbsp tomato puree
    1 tbsp tomato ketchup
    1 teaspoon corn flour mixed with 1 tablespoon water
    1 tbsp cranberry sauce
    Seasoning

METHOD:

Mix the curry powder, chilli, sesame and breadcrumbs together and leave on a plate.

Season the flour and leave on a plate also. Then cut the cheese into slices and dip first in the flour, then dip in the beaten egg mix and finally the spicy breadcrumbs. Make sure it is well coated.

Deep fry until golden brown in fryer at 160°C / 320°F.
    Sauce:
    First make the sauce by sweating the peppers and onion in the olive oil for about 1 minute. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Cook for a few minutes until it has reduced a little. Check seasoning. You can change the flavour of the sauce according to taste, more sweetness just add sugar, more sourness add vinegar. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.

To Serve:
    Serve the cheese with a sweet & sour sauce drizzled around it, accompanied by side salad
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    no cranberry sauce? i'd just chuck in some jam.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    no cranberry sauce? i'd just chuck in some jam.[/quote

you could get that lass to open the jar for you..... :lol:
  • dunkman wrote:
    no cranberry sauce? i'd just chuck in some jam.
    :oops: :lol: why of course! Duh :lol: how the fuck did I NEVER think of that? But what I like about it is the rest of the ingredients are usually lying around a well stocked kitchen anyway. Oh I made it without the peppers too (cos we didnt' have any) and... still great.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • jamie uk wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    no cranberry sauce? i'd just chuck in some jam.[/quote

you could get that lass to open the jar for you..... :lol: