The recipe thread!

Comments

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    These chocolate chip cookies are insane. The 24 hour chilling is a pain in the ass, but worth it.

Chocolate Chip Cookies Adapted from Jacques Torres

Time: 45 minutes plus at least 24 hours' chilling

2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour
    1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour
    1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
    2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
    1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
    1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate disks or fèves, at least 60 percent cacao content (see note)
    Sea salt.

1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
    2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.
    3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.
    4. Scoop 6 3 1/2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day. Eat warm, with a big napkin.
    Yield: 1 1/2 dozen 5-inch cookies.

Note: Disks are sold at Jacques Torres Chocolate; Valrhona fèves, oval-shaped chocolate pieces, are at Whole Foods.
  • Good idea for a thread Helen :D
    hahaha I know it's been done before... but I don't see it over here :? and it's certainly needed.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    January is probably the only month of the year I don't grill outside, so it's time to use the slow cooker, and Grilled Tuna Chili is one of my favorites. I will forever lose any credibility with our Texas board members as this chili not only has lots of beans, but uses tuna instead of red meat.

Good quality tuna steaks go a long way here (sushi grade if possible), the smoked paprika is hard to find but really adds a "meaty" flavor to this otherwise meatless dish, and I use a slow cooker instead of the dutch oven.

Recipe credit goes to Chicago's #1 fishmonger, Dirk's Fish (http://www.dirksfish.com), I took a tailgating class at his shop and this was my highlight.

Ingredients

Chili Base:

1/2 cup canola oil
    3 cups sweet onions, chopped
    1 1/2 cups sweet peppers(orange or yellow), chopped
    1/3 cup fresh garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh serrano pepper, finely chopped
    2-28 ounce cans whole tomatoes including juice, crushed
    1-6 ounce can tomato paste
    2-15 ounce cans tomato sauce
    2-16 ounce cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    2-15 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    2-15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon oregano
    4 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons coriander seed, crushed
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    1 teaspoon pimento de La Vera (hot smoked paprika)

Wet Rub for Tuna:

2 pounds fresh tuna, cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons coriander seed, crushed
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon pimento de La Vera (hot smoked paprika)
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions

Chili Base:
    Heat oil in large Dutch oven. Add vegetables. Saute at medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and sauce. Add seasonings and spices. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Add beans. Simmer on low for another 30 minutes to four hours. Start marinating tuna with one hour left.

Tuna:
    Combine seasonings and spices in a bowl, add olive oil and mix well. Toss tuna in rub, coat completely.Pour tuna and marinade into ziplock bag. You should only marinate fish for about an hour total and remove it from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before grilling.
    Preheat a perforated grill pan about 10 minutes before adding fish. Place tuna in a single layer on pan, toss with tongs until all sides are seared, about 2 to 3 minutes.
    When tuna is cooked, add it to simmering chili base. Stir fish in gently so as not to break up pieces.
    Serves 10 to 12 people.

thanks for posting this. this looks really good. Ahi is probably my favorite food. and chili.
  • mmm... I just made the most delish meal :oops:

I had the aforementioned chicken in mushroom and garlic sauce WITH potato gratin. The potato gratin was soooo easy to make... I stole it off a recipe site. I didn't bother with the onions cos they're not worth the tears IMO... and I put grated cheese on top of EVERY layer... cos I love cheese :D

http://vegbox-recipes.co.uk/recipes/potato-recipe-4.php

1kg potatoes, scrubbed and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
    1 medium onion, peeled
    2 cloves garlic, peeled & crushed
    150ml double cream
    100ml milk
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or whatever you've got in stock)
    100g strong cheese (e.g. mature Cheddar), grated
    Pinch of good quality salt

Method
    Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes, until starting to soften.

Peel the onion and chop it in half. Cut it into thin slices.

Mix together the garlic, cream, milk and mustard. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.

Grease an oven-proof dish and put in a layer of potatoes, followed by a layer of onions. Pour some of the cream mixture over each potato layer. Continue until all ingredients are used.

Pour any remaining cream mixture over the top, making sure all the top vegetables are coated.

Sprinkle the cheese on top.

Cook at 200 degrees C for about 45 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and the cheese is lightly browned and bubbling.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    Simple Tomato Sauce
    2 35-oz cans San Marzano or other Italian plum tomatoes with juices
    1 large onion chopped in small pieces
    1 medium carrot chopped in small pieces
    1 inner rib of celery chopped in small pieces
    6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
    2 cups water
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon honey (optional, after tasting)

1. Put the tomatoes and their juices through a food mill using the medium disk. (You can also use a blender, a food processor or your hands until you get the desired consistency)
    2. Put the chopped onion, carrot, and celery pieces in the food processor and pulse several times until you have very finely chopped small threads. Saute in olive oil over medium heat. Sprinkle with salt. Cook for about three minutes until vegetables soften but don't let them brown.

3. Add tomatoes and juice to the vegetables. Use the water to rinse out the cans and add that to the tomatoes. Stir in the bay leaves and pepper flakes. Turn up the heat, cover, and bring to a boil, stirring and checking frequently. Adjust heat to maintain active simmer with lots of small bubbles all over the sauce. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes stirring occasionally.

4. Remove the cover, raise the heat so the sauce is still bubbling energetically and gradually reducing. Cook for another hour or so, stirring frequently to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot. Taste for salt near the end of cooking and add more if needed. When the sauce has reduced by about a quarter, and is concentrated but still pourable, remove from the heat. Let the sauce cool, remove the bay leaves. Allow the sauce to mellow for an hour or two.

I only use San Marzano tomatoes for special ocassions. For everyday use I use a non-San Marzano plum tomato that comes in 28 oz cans and when I make this I usually use three 28-oz cans and less water. Watch the salt content when you are comparing brands and DO NOT USE TOMATO PUREE

you can add garlic if you wish to flavor the oil in the beginning (just be very careful not to brown it) and whatever fresh herbs you like at the end or right before serving

From Lydia Bastianich
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    I was looking though the threads and saw some great recipes to try.

Here is one of my favorites to eat in the morning- homemade granola, very easy.

Granola

3 c oats (not quick oats)
    6 T maple syrup
    6T brown sugar
    1/4 c oil
    2T water
    1/2 t salt
    cinnamon (depends on if you like a lot of cinn.)
    1/2 t vanilla extract
    ----mix everything together in a bowl and then put on a baking sheet.
    ----bake at 325º for about 20 min, mixing in the pan half way though-until its dried out. Once cooled
    ----add aprox 1 c fruit to 1 qt. granola

Enjoy
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Yay, found the thread... I've a couple of new ones:

Roasted mint and lemon veg
    For one:

Three carrots, (whatever other veg ya want)
    4 cloves of garlic
    2 tbsps olive oil,
    onion seasoning (or onions but I fucking hate chopping them so this is a great alternative),
    mint,
    black pepper,
    juice of 2 slices of lemon,
    mixed herbs.

Chop the carrots in half and slice lengthwise. Press the garlic so it's not completely crushed but just a bit seperated... place in a baking tray or dish. Sprinkle over the rest of the ingredients and mix it all up with your hands. Place in the oven at 200c and cook for half an hour, stirring every ten minutes.

Basil and Lime Chicken

2 breast fillets of chicken
    1 lime
    20 basil leaves
    150ml creme fraiche
    1/2 tbsp flour

Grate the lime peel, finely chop the basil and add juice of half of the lime to the mixture
    fry the chicken in some olive oil til cooked
    Add the creme fraiche and allow to simmer
    add the lime and basil mixture
    add the flour to thicken and stir well
    simmer another bit and then serve

I was gonna use coconut milk instead of the creme fraiche but found the creme fraiche first... will try that another time though.

These two actually go really nicely together... very carribbeanny! :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Toast:

2 slices bread
    Butter

Place slices of bread in toaster
    Press down
    Allow to cook until it pops up automatically
    Spread with butter
    Serves 1
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I posted on the old board about 2 years ago when I found out that I could not have salt (borderline high bp).
    That thread had some good suggestions in it, maybe some recipes. I looked for it when we heard the board would close down and I could not find it.

do you have any cook books? I've found many recipes online.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    I posted on the old board about 2 years ago when I found out that I could not have salt (borderline high bp).
    That thread had some good suggestions in it, maybe some recipes. I looked for it when we heard the board would close down and I could not find it.

I have a couple of cook books... but never used them :oops: I find most recipes online... or simply ideas... I discovered online that basil and lime go great with chicken but all the recipes had loadsa extra ingredients or weren't so simple so I decided to simply try basil and lime :D and it was FANTASTIC.

Try the roasted veg... I don't put salt in anything cos I don't see the point. Ya may wanna substitute the onion seasoning for real onions but other than that I think everything's ok?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    iluvcats wrote:

I have a couple of cook books... but never used them :oops: I find most recipes online... or simply ideas... I discovered online that basil and lime go great with chicken but all the recipes had loadsa extra ingredients or weren't so simple so I decided to simply try basil and lime :D and it was FANTASTIC.

Try the roasted veg... I don't put salt in anything cos I don't see the point. Ya may wanna substitute the onion seasoning for real onions but other than that I think everything's ok?

I have been buying stuff to make my own marinades and I have only done it twice with pork chops. I too am too lazy to use my cookbooks! Everyone gives me cookbooks and it is easier to look online.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I have been buying stuff to make my own marinades and I have only done it twice with pork chops. I too am too lazy to use my cookbooks! Everyone gives me cookbooks and it is easier to look online.
    Lol, definitely! Although I've READ them to see if there ARE easy and practical stuff.. no need to add impossible ingredients or ingredients you're realistically NEVER gonna buy. I found a few but I'll need to look back through them to figure out which ones they are lol.

I've never done a marinade... but usually cos I only decide what I'm gonna do when I'm gonna do it... no time for marinades :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    no time for marinades, agreed :)

now i have to make time since i can't have salty stuff like barbecue sauce
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    p.s.

30 minutes usually for marinades

i want to try some rosemary potatoes in the oven
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    no time for marinades, agreed :)

now i have to make time since i can't have salty stuff like barbecue sauce
    There are plenty of simple recipes to make your own sauces online... I much prefer this now as I hate using tins of anything :oops: if a recipe calls for salt or salty stuff just leave it out or look for a new one. Here's a website that seems helpful and includes a 'no salt bbq sauce' recipe :) although it seems to have some stupid ingredients :evil:

http://homecooking.about.com/library/ar ... help13.htm

or here's another one with 'very low sodium'

http://www.mrsdash.com/recipes/recipe-s ... sults.aspx

http://www.bigoven.com/private/sodium+free-recipe
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533
    Has anyone made one of these? drool.gif

Chocolate Truffle Torte

cakes_trffl.jpg

What recipe (easiest recipe) have you used to make this?
    Close to Easter, and I want to make this!

Thanks! :mrgreen:
    iluvcats wrote:
    p.s.

30 minutes usually for marinades

i want to try some rosemary potatoes in the oven
    I've mastered the rosemary and garlic roasties... I didn't even put salt on them and they were FANTASTIC :shock:

Preheat the oven to 190c (not sure farenheit) crush together 2 cloves of garlic, plenty of olive oil (about 4 tbsp :shock: ), about half a handful of rosemary, and about a tsp of oregano, pour the mixture onto an ovenproof dish

Peel the potatoes and chop into roast potato size, place the dish in the oven so that the oil's WELL heated, boil the potatoes for about ten minutes til soft, drain the water and shake the spuds around the saucepan til the edges look floury,

Remove the dish from the oven and place the potatoes in it gently (so as not to splash yourself with the oil) ... turn them around so that they're FULLY coated in the oil and place in the oven for about 40 minutes, removing from the oven every ten minutes to turn again and use a spoon to coat with more oil each time.

Thanks to urbanhippie for leading me to this :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Disclaimer: This recipe is not mine. It was found by a friend in a magazine, but the original source was not passed on to me so I cannot give proper credit to the originating publication or chef.

I made this recipe once so far and it turned out spectacular. I might offer two suggestions though:

1. Half the amount of black pepper. Even though it turned out great, the pepper was a touch on the strong side.

2. Consider doubling the 24oz of water suggested in one of the later steps. I didn't and the recipe, as it stands, was nearly all chicken, veggies, and noodles. There wasn't enough broth to go around IMO. I don't think you have to worry about diluting the flavor at all because you will have plenty between the boxed/canned broth and the boiled chicken.

Homemade Chicken Soup

Ingredients:

A "cut up WHOLE chicken" (Skin still on)

One bag of Amish Style Noodles (such as Ms. Weiss' Kluski noodles)

Fresh Celery (about 5 stalks diced and two stalks cut in half)

Fresh Carrots (about 8 of them diced)

Fresh Green Beans (about 3 cups, trimmed and cut)

Fresh Onion (1/2 of it diced, the other half of onion simply separated into slices)

Fresh Garlic (finely diced)

Two boxes of Chicken Broth (16 oz each)

One box of Vegetable Broth (16oz)

5 Bay Leaves

2 Tablespoons of Dry Basil Leaves

2 Tablespoons of Dry Parsley Leaves

1 or 2 teaspoons Celery Salt

2 teaspoons of Salt

3-4 teaspoons of Pepper

Make the broth by combining all the ingredients listed in blue into a very large stockpot. Put in chicken first, then cover with the broth. If the chicken isn't fully covered in liquid you can add more broth of your choice OR simply water. Toss in the seasonings, the half of onion (which you have separated into pieces) and two celery stalks (which I cut in half). Bring to a boil and cook the chicken for about 30 to 40 mins (just make sure chicken is cooked through by that time - which it should be!!!)

Once the chicken is cooked, take it out of the pot and place on a plate. Remove the onion and celery and toss them away. Using a (small hole) wire strainer (similar to a flour sifter size hole), pour the broth into it (strainer) to "strain" out the bay leaves and any possible tiny cartilage/bone that fell from the chicken during the boiling. Some of the spices WILL remain in the strainer as well, but that is okay. A lot still passes through it and goes into the final broth.

Put the broth back into the original stock pot, place it back on stove and add all of the diced veggies. Bring to a rolling boil and then turn down to a very low boil - simmer. While the broth is being brought to a boil, remove skin and bones/cartilage from the chicken. Cut up the chicken into small pieces. Put the chicken back into the broth. Leave the chicken and veggies simmer (slight boil) until the veggies START to soften (about 30- 40 mins again).

Then add the whole package of noodles. When you add the noodles, make sure to add about 24 oz or so of water as well (so you still have enough liquid when the noodles are cooked). The package said the noodles should only cook for about 16 to 18 mins but honestly, I left them cook for about 25 mins total.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    1 mars bar
    1 tray of batter

roll mars bar in batter. deep fry for 8 minutes. eat. get arteries unclogged.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • -Buru--Buru- Posts: 1,292
    dunkman wrote:
    1 mars bar
    1 tray of batter

Yumm. 8-)
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    My favourite .... I cheat and buy the pastry case ready made :oops:

PECAN PIE

1 shortcrust pastry base
    3 large eggs,beaten
    2 tbsp maple syrup
    170g condensed milk
    100g butter,softened
    1tsp vanilla essence
    150g pecan's

Set oven to 170C,325F,Gas 3.

In a large bowl whisk all the ingredients except the pecan's.

Pour the mixture into the pastry case,then carefully sprinkle over the pecan's.

Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until the filling is set.

Leave to cool on a rack for about 20 minutes.

Serve with vanilla ice cream or creme fraiche .... and enjoy.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Greek Pasta

1 box bowtie pasta
    1 10 oz. package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
    ½ package (8 oz.) mozzarella cheese, finely shredded
    1 package (4-5 oz.) crumbled feta cheese
    1-3 garlic cloves, pressed
    2 6.5 oz. jars marinated artichoke hearts
    1 splash of lemon juice
    1 3.5 oz. can of ripe olives, pitted, drained and sliced
    1½ tsp Italian seasoning
    3 plum tomatoes, sliced

1. Mix all ingredients except pasta into a big bowl.
    2. Boil pasta according to directions.
    3. Drain water from pasta and add ingredients to pot.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Prepare to be rocked! You will not be able to stop eating this.

Salsa Recipe

Makes about 8 cups

1 can DelMonte Italian Recipe Stewed tomatoes

1 can DelMonte Mexican Recipe Stewed tomatoes

1 can Rotel Mexican diced tomatoes (w/green chilies)

1 can black beans

1 can white corn (yellow will work if you can't find white)

1 onion (diced) (you don't need a big one unless you want a lot of onion)

1⁄2 cup sliced jalapenos (minced)*

1 Tbsp minced garlic (or to your flavor)

1 bulk cilantro (diced/minced)

1 Tbsp sugar

STEPS

1) Drain stewed tomatoes and put into blender. Blend until consistent (Don't over blend or it will get too soupy). Pour into large mixing bowl.

2) Drain diced tomatoes, corn, and black beans, and add to stewed tomatoes.

3) Add remaining ingredients and mix until everything is evenly distributed.

4) Enjoy!

* Four Jalapenos (w/ seeds) will roughly equal 1⁄2 cup. Two whole jalapenos (w/ seeds) will be at the bottom of the hot scale and completely tolerable. If you don't like salsa unbearably hot consider using two or three.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • FETA STUFFED CHICKEN

4 skinned boned chicken breast halves -- (4-ounce)
    1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese with basil and tomato -- (1 ounce)
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 1/2 teaspoons margarine -- melted
    3 cups torn spinach
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Dredge chicken in breadcrumbs.
    Spoon 1 tablespoon of cheese onto each piece of chicken, and fold chicken in half. Place folded breast halves in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drizzle margarine over chicken. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until done.
    Combine spinach and basil in a bowl, and drizzle with vinegar and oil. Sprinkle pepper over salad; toss well.
    sound to Greek to me :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Greek salad, or horiatiki, is a rough country salad of juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumber, sliced red onion, green pepper, crumbly feta cheese and plump kalamata olives. Serve this delightful combination as a side dish or as a light meal with some crusty bread.

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1½ tablespoons lemon juice
    1 clove garlic—minced
    ½ teaspoon dried oregano
    ¼ teaspoon sea salt
    ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and extra for garnish
    3 tomatoes—cut into wedges
    ¼ red onion—sliced into rings
    ½ cucumber—sliced into thick half-moons
    ½ green pepper (capsicum)—julienned
    4 oz (120g) feta cheese—cut into small cubes
    16 kalamata olives

PLACE the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano in a small jar with a screw-top lid and shake to combine. PLACE the salad ingredients in a large bowl. POUR the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine just before serving. Garnish the Greek salad with a little freshly ground black pepper.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    I've started making bento boxes for lunch and I can't get enough of Vietnamese spring rolls (the fresh ones, not the fried kind).
    Rice paper wrappers are super cheap at Asian food stores and you can fill with basically whatever you want.
    The ones I have today have sticky rice, Thai basil, sesame-soy tofu, shredded carrots, diced radish, and butter lettuce. And I made a dipping sauce from about 1 part simple syrup to 1/2 parts soy sauce. Mix in some grated ginger and ground red pepper and top with crushed peanuts.

Is it lunchtime yet?

(And now that I found this thread, I plan to bump regularly!)
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    dunkman wrote:
    1 mars bar
    1 tray of batter

lol...Gawd!!!.....That sounds Disgusting!...I'm Gonna go TRY it... :P
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    cdp1223 wrote:
    I've started making bento boxes for lunch and I can't get enough of Vietnamese spring rolls (the fresh ones, not the fried kind).
    Rice paper wrappers are super cheap at Asian food stores and you can fill with basically whatever you want.
    The ones I have today have sticky rice, Thai basil, sesame-soy tofu, shredded carrots, diced radish, and butter lettuce. And I made a dipping sauce from about 1 part simple syrup to 1/2 parts soy sauce. Mix in some grated ginger and ground red pepper and top with crushed peanuts.

Is it lunchtime yet?

(And now that I found this thread, I plan to bump regularly!)

OMG......*drools*
    that sounds amazing.......mmmmmm.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131

OMG......*drools*

It was seriously awesome. And SO EASY. I can't imagine how I ever paid $4 for an order of spring rolls before! I think the ingredients to make about 30 cost me *maybe* $5.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    cdp1223 wrote:

OMG......*drools*

It was seriously awesome. And SO EASY. I can't imagine how I ever paid $4 for an order of spring rolls before! I think the ingredients to make about 30 cost me *maybe* $5.

do you cook them at all - or are they raw?
    they really sound sooo delish, and healthy....and a great lunch, so i might like to try and give em a shot. if you can be a bit more specific for a novice spring-roll maker :D i'd appreciate it. i love, love, love thai food especially.....yummm.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow