Options

Why do they still make DVDs in FULLSCREEN? A rant.

LedbetterusLedbetterus Posts: 592
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Seriously.. wtf! Who buys fullscreen stuff? Why make this crap? Call me picky, but i just can't watch a DVD in fullscreen if it's meant to be in widescreen.

"This film is different from the original, it has been formatted to fit your TV screen."

The shit even comes with a stupid disclaimer!

I bring this up because in the haze of holiday shopping I decided to get myself 'The Simpson Movie' today at Circuit City. Firstly, their "new" releases are in a cube-shaped shelf system in the middle of a high-traffic area. (In my store they're between the video games and the Verizon shop, which is about 7' of space with a 4' cube of movies in the middle.

So basically I found myself plowing through 10 people to get to the side with the movie on it.. I had to reach around a mother who was carrying her child and talking on a cell phone to grab the movie. I even thought as I grabbed it "I wonder if there are two versions, full/widescreen, NAA they don't make fullscreen anymore." Plus there was only one row of movies (that I saw), so I figured all were the same.

I got home, wrapped some crap, got a beer, popped in the movie and BOOM, hello disclaimer! So basically I won't watch it. $15 well spent I must say.

I guess it's overall my fault for being impatient, but hell, why are they still producing DVDs in fullscreen at all? I have a widescreen TV now, but even when I didn't I was still buying the widescreen versions.

/rant off
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    too cool for old school
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    too cool for old school

If I wanted my movies in old school format I'd pull out my BETA collection :P
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Your first mistake was buying the Simpsons Movie.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Seriously.. wtf! Who buys fullscreen stuff? Why make this crap? Call me picky, but i just can't watch a DVD in fullscreen if it's meant to be in widescreen.
    picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky picky :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Your first mistake was buying the Simpsons Movie.
    Your second mistake is not checking to see.
    To answer your question, however, the majority of TVs in households today are still CRT full screen TVs.
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I hate wide screen.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    I hate wide screen.
    That's because you don't have a widescreen TV :)
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:

Exactly!!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    EddiEEddiE Posts: 125
    I hate widescreen too....I hate those big black bars at the top and bottom of the screen...waste of space imo :D
    Paris 7/11/96
    Manchester 4/6/00
  • Options
    EddiE wrote:
    I hate widescreen too....I hate those big black bars at the top and bottom of the screen...waste of space imo :D

How annoying are those???? :eek: Drives me NUTS!!!

My brother gets all, "It's got to be wide screen" :rolleyes: but I've sat there at his with his enormous penis extention of a tele and I can't keep up with all the bloody stuff that's happening on the wide screen anyway! Who needs it? :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Rygar wrote:

me too, but i can totally understand why it can be a such a bummer if you've got widescreen but bought tape for fullscreen. oh well. i know that kinda problem wouldn't happen to me :p
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    You might try to ebay it or something. I did the same thing once, bought fullscreen and I hate it too.
    I sold the movie for $3 less than I paid for it.
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    me too, but i can totally understand why it can be a such a bummer if you've got widescreen but bought tape for fullscreen. oh well. i know that kinda problem wouldn't happen to me :p
    Yeah it would be a bummer, but OP sounds well informed enough about fullscreen and widescreen to be checking these things in the first place ;)

To the OP, take it to WalMart and see if they'll exchange it for you.
    If no go on walmart, just wait it out and try to exchange it at a Blockbuster or used vid store (after it shows up for sale used)
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761

"This film is different from the original, it has been formatted to fit your TV screen."

I bring this up because in the haze of holiday shopping I decided to get myself 'The Simpson Movie' today at Circuit City. Firstly, their "new" releases are in a cube-shaped shelf system in the middle of a high-traffic area. (In my store they're between the video games and the Verizon shop, which is about 7' of space with a 4' cube of movies in the middle.

So basically I found myself plowing through 10 people to get to the side with the movie on it.. I had to reach around a mother who was carrying her child and talking on a cell phone to grab the movie. I even thought as I grabbed it "I wonder if there are two versions, full/widescreen, NAA they don't make fullscreen anymore." Plus there was only one row of movies (that I saw), so I figured all were the same.

I got home, wrapped some crap, got a beer, popped in the movie and BOOM, hello disclaimer! So basically I won't watch it. $15 well spent I must say.

I guess it's overall my fault for being impatient, but hell, why are they still producing DVDs in fullscreen at all? I have a widescreen TV now, but even when I didn't I was still buying the widescreen versions.

/rant off

There are a lot of people without widescreen TVs.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    agreed. widescreen is the only way to go.
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    As long as you have the receipt, you can try taking it back and explaining the problem. It's worked for me a few times when I've mistakenly picked up a full-screen DVD. I am more diligent about that stuff these days. I almost made that mistake the other night when I was going to pick up a copy of "The Big Lebowski" to replace mine and found out it was full-screen.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    As long as you have the receipt, you can try taking it back and explaining the problem. It's worked for me a few times when I've mistakenly picked up a full-screen DVD. I am more diligent about that stuff these days. I almost made that mistake the other night when I was going to pick up a copy of "The Big Lebowski" to replace mine and found out it was full-screen.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    ringoringo Posts: 504
    I completely agree with you. Full screen is crap and I don't have a wide screen TV yet.

I'd try and take it back like other people have said. I've done it once or twice myself and had no problems.
    d'oh
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Wide screen all the way. Full screen cuts off like 20% of the picture. Even before I got a widescreen TV, I always bought widescreen DVDs.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Some of the DVD's I own have an option right after you select play to watch the film, that ask if you want FULL or WIDE format....why can't they do this on every DVD, and make everyone happy?
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Some of the DVD's I own have an option right after you select play to watch the film, that ask if you want FULL or WIDE format....why can't they do this on every DVD, and make everyone happy?
    Cause then people will complain that their DVD is just plain silver :P
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:

No, I'm not talking about the two sided disc. It's a menu option within the DVD.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    StellyStelly Posts: 170
    1) Not everyone has a widescreen TV. Those of us that don't may prefer the full screen version. Shocking, isn't it?!

2) It's no one's fault but your own for buying the version you didn't want. If you're so pro-widescreen you would think that would be something you'd be 100% sure got when buying a movie.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    No, I'm not talking about the two sided disc. It's a menu option within the DVD.
    I didn't know they had too many of those. I have one that I'm aware of that gives you the option, then makes you flip it over ;)
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    :D or they'll complain that they actually have to press another button to decide :eek: it's just all too much.

If you have time to read the title, you've time to check the format. Nobody'd be as understanding if you had said you came home and put on the simpsons and it was apocolypto :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

/rant off

you can probly take it back and exchange it. i did that with a lotr movie i bought from target once.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,260
    Widescreen is def. the way to go IMO.

Yeah, it can be a little "small" on a CRT, but it's still better then having a chopped up picture.

I have a 50" widescreen TV so widescreen is the the only option.
  • Options
    I always watched widescreen even before I had a widescreen tv. It's the way the movie is shot and supposed to be viewed.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    I agree, with the OP, I don't like reformatted, colorized, remastered, fucked with etc.

Give me what was original and how it was meant to be seen and heard.
    the Minions
  • Options
    I always watched widescreen even before I had a widescreen tv. It's the way the movie is shot and supposed to be viewed.
    Likewise, but it's cause I knew I was going to get a widescreen tv eventually.