Options

The 'staying in on a Friday night' thread...

Comments

• Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    haha, I try to stay away from downtown, but if I'm there, I'm goin' to Mr. Dooley's...best Irish pub in that area imo.

mr. dooley's is awesome! omg, I haven't heard about that place in years. In high school I worked down on rowes warf and had lunch at mr. dooleys with my dad almost every day!

but yeah the irish pubs downtown are terrible- way over priced and full of tourists and 21 year old townies from the north shore (I know because I used to be one of them).
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    ah the black rose...the biggest tourist trap rip-off in the city :).

:eek: :eek: Surely you jest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name another Irish pub better in Boston!

Purple Shamrock - nope'
    McGanns - nope
    The Harp - nope
    That joint on Huntington by Northeastern...nope

edit - Dooley's - ok
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Go hit the Black Rose for me and film some of the lasses pouring Guinness the right way! :D

lasses!! oh its like being home from home :D;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    :eek: :eek: Surely you jest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name another Irish pub better in Boston!

Purple Shamrock - nope'
    McGanns - nope
    The Harp - nope
    That joint on Huntington by Northeastern...nope

edit - Dooley's - ok

Dude, the best Irish pubs are The Field in Central and The Burren in Davis. Anything downtown/financial district/fanuiel hall is just for the tourists. And there's soooo many down there all together. You've got the Black Rose, the Shamrock, the Bell In Hand, those other like 3 pubs on that strip, McGann's, Kitty O'Shea's, that place that opened a couple years ago under 120 state street, that place on that corner...and they all charge like $8 a guinness.

Also if you are over the age of 21 and go to the Purple Shamrock...well, there is a problem.
  • Options
    Dude, the best Irish pubs are The Field in Central and The Burren in Davis. Anything downtown/financial district/fanuiel hall is just for the tourists.

i've heard the burren is awesome...haven't made it there yet...i'll take your word for it though!!!!!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Dude, the best Irish pubs are The Field in Central and The Burren in Davis.
    The lady knows her pubs..

Others I will add:

James's Gate
    Brendan Behan
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    The lady knows her pubs..

Others I will add:

James's Gate
    Brendan Behan

where are they?

there's a bunch over in allston, but crossing the river? I think not.
  • Options
    i've heard the burren is awesome...haven't made it there yet...i'll take your word for it though!!!!!!!

oh the burren is great. I *think* that the burren was one of, if not THE, first place U2 played in the united states. They have music in the back room on the weekends and they have traditional irish music up front a lot.
  • Options
    where are they?

there's a bunch over in allston, but crossing the river? I think not.
    Jamaica Plain
  • Options
    yeah great idea.. lets all talk about irish bars in Boston considering its the fucking saddo's "staying in tonight" thread.. its akin to posting a photo of an orgy on a monk's forum. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    dunkman wrote:
    yeah great idea.. lets all talk about irish bars in Boston considering its the fucking saddo's "staying in tonight" thread.. its akin to posting a photo of an orgy on a monk's forum. ;)
    :eek:
    You didn't!!?

Did you? :D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    Jamaica Plain

oh jamaica plain is far...my motto is "if it's not on the red line, it's probably not worth it" :).

come to think of it, how do you even GET to jamaica plain? orange line? I had friends who claimed to live in jamaica plain, but it was really...yeah...mission hill.
  • Options
    oh jamaica plain is far...my motto is "if it's not on the red line, it's probably not worth it" :).

come to think of it, how do you even GET to jamaica plain? orange line? I had friends who claimed to live in jamaica plain, but it was really...yeah...mission hill.
    15 min from downtown via orange train...very cool neighborhood I think.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    15 min from downtown via orange train...very cool neighborhood I think.

so I've heard...

I've also heard the south end is cool...

but I've lived here my entire life and never been to either :).
  • Options
    AllIAmAllIAm Posts: 1,309
    so I've heard...

I've also heard the south end is cool...

but I've lived here my entire life and never been to either :).

seriously??? never been downtown or the south end???? weeeeird

uhmmmm and the burren rocks my world. or it used to when i went out. good bands... lots of fun people. i love that area...

my friday night consists of some take away chinese, blockbuster, and my favorite man to keep me warm.. maybe somethin somethin..
  • Options
    AllIAm wrote:
    seriously??? never been downtown or the south end???? weeeeird

oh I've been spent half my life downtown. we were talking about JP.
  • Options
    AllIAmAllIAm Posts: 1,309
    oh I've been spent half my life downtown. we were talking about JP.

i'm sorry i just realized i read it wrong..

yea you just take that scary orange line... eeek... although i live in slummaville so i can't really talk
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I'm in, I got wine, I had a thrilling afternoon ;), and earlier tonight, I nailed La Grange on guitar hero III (ok, it was on easy...so what?)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    I'm in, I got wine, I had a thrilling afternoon ;), and earlier tonight, I nailed La Grange on guitar hero III (ok, it was on easy...so what?)
    Hellooooooo Jamie!

GHIII rocks...I'm officially the worlds worst player tho...:o

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    I miss BLou in threads like this...just sayin'.

Blue Hills Ave is the place to be!!!!!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:

i went into Morrisons and bought 2 bottles of Hardys Voyage Cab Sauv... tomorrow i shall wake up not knowing what i've typed on here.. i like that.. :)
  • Options
    I miss BLou in threads like this...just sayin'.

Blue Hills Ave is the place to be!!!!!!!

i miss The Lou also... he and i were gonna start a dating advice thread once.. but alas he perished :(
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    i went into Morrisons and bought 2 bottles of Hardys Voyage Cab Sauv... tomorrow i shall wake up not knowing what i've typed on here.. i like that.. :)
    Isn't that your average Friday night Dunk?

:D:p

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    lasses!! oh its like being home from home :D;)

Dunk we got an English pub in my town and the owner has soccer/football on constantly. Last time I was in there, there was a bird flying around - the dude was so pissed trying to scat the bird out I thought he was going to start swearing in Scottish!!! ;)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Isn't that your average Friday night Dunk?

:D:p

yeah i did that last week.. :o

i went back and checked my posts.. my spelling was atrocious but the cut of my jib was sublime.. ;)
  • Options
    Hellooooooo Jamie!

GHIII rocks...I'm officially the worlds worst player tho...:o

Hi, I'm not so good either, ok on the songs I know. I was proud to get 90% on One by Metallica :D
    My lad is a show off...he's completed the whole game on medium!! Even that Slayer track...!!!!
  • Options
    Dunk we got an English pub in my town and the owner has soccer/football on constantly. Last time I was in there, there was a bird flying around - the dude was so pissed trying to scat the bird out I thought he was going to start swearing in Scottish!!! ;)

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8lqxi_Nek

please watch this.. its 2.13 thingies out of your life and if its shit i'll give you those minutes back.. :)
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

I went back to Asda for more Hardy's...sold out. Got this spiffing Spanish wine though...mmmmm
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    Hi, I'm not so good either, ok on the songs I know. I was proud to get 90% on One by Metallica :D
    My lad is a show off...he's completed the whole game on medium!! Even that Slayer track...!!!!
    My eldest is halfway through on hard :rolleyes:

Me, i'm just crap! I only play the songs I like...and very badly!

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    AllIAm wrote:
    i'm sorry i just realized i read it wrong..

yea you just take that scary orange line... eeek... although i live in slummaville so i can't really talk

I live in slummaville too!