is blu-ray the next beta?

13»

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Depends on how close you sit to your TV.. sure its allot higher resolution, but will it look better and how much better..

http://www.carltonbale.com/wp-content/uploads/resolution_chart.png

quote]

Sweet...my setup is perfect!
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    mca47 wrote:

Sweet...my setup is perfect!
    Me too. I'm getting more benefit than I am supposed to, even! ;)
    mca47 wrote:
    Good point.
    Just kinda feel bad for all of those that have purchased HD-DVD players or add-ons.
    Hell, I know how it feels...I had a Sega Saturn back in the day LOL! Picking and dumping money on a dying format/system is just no fun.
    I had/have the Saturn too.
    I don't feel too bad for the early HD DVD adopters - the stuff they have is still functional. If I had an HDDVD player, there's a crap ton of movies currently available for the format and they'll be getting pretty cheap when the format is discontinued (which still might take a while) so I'd either get rid of the gear now or load up on the movies to make the purchase worthwhile.
    The only real downside is they'll have to buy a BR player in the future (providing it can end the life of DVD, which it ought to) but they're getting affordable...
    Rygar wrote:
    Me too. I'm getting more benefit than I am supposed to, even! ;)

Yeah, I can't wait to trade my 50" 1080p in on a 100" 100000p and place it 3 feet away! :D Can you imagine the definition?!?! lol
    mca47 wrote:
    Yeah, I can't wait to trade my 50" 1080p in on a 100" 100000p and place it 3 feet away! :D Can you imagine the definition?!?! lol
    Hahahaha!
    "Robert DeNiro's mole, has gotta be 10 feet wide :)"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Blue Ray and HD are both bullshit. I go out and buy a huge collection of DVDs only for them to release a new format which will probably make DVDs obsolete sooner or later. The price of a player and the movies themselves is ridiculous and I am not that obsessed with the picture, I care about how good the movie is, not how good the visuals are.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    mca47 wrote:
    Good point.
    Just kinda feel bad for all of those that have purchased HD-DVD players or add-ons.
    Hell, I know how it feels...I had a Sega Saturn back in the day LOL! Picking and dumping money on a dying format/system is just no fun.

Remember Nintendo Virtual Boy........only had like 5 games and it was discontinued after about a week.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Blue Ray and HD are both bullshit. I go out and buy a huge collection of DVDs only for them to release a new format which will probably make DVDs obsolete sooner or later. The price of a player and the movies themselves is ridiculous and I am not that obsessed with the picture, I care about how good the movie is, not how good the visuals are.
    By the time DVD is done with, the prices of the 'next gen' stuff are going to be much much much lower than they are now.

Along with what Rygar said ^^...your DVDs aren't going to be "obsolete" anytime soon. In fact Blu-ray players up-convert regular DVDs to near HD quality. I have a pretty huge DVD collection and have no intention to replace them. New movies will be purchased on Blu-ray though.

Unlike the VHS to DVD jump where you needed a VCR and DVD player...you will only need the one Blu-ray player to play BDs and DVDs. Win-win if you ask me.
    mca47 wrote:
    Along with what Rygar said ^^...your DVDs aren't going to be "obsolete" anytime soon. In fact Blu-ray players up-convert regular DVDs to near HD quality. I have a pretty huge DVD collection and have no intention to replace them. New movies will be purchased on Blu-ray though.

Unlike the VHS to DVD jump where you needed a VCR and DVD player...you will only need the one Blu-ray player to play BDs and DVDs. Win-win if you ask me.
    Seconded.
    Upconverted DVD's look really good too. Good enough so that my DVD of Transformers might do after all ;)
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    No thread jacking intended...but some of you guys mentioned Sega -- I wish I would've kept my old Sega Genesis with NHL '94. I wanna play some Whale vs. Quebec so bad!!! One of the EA games offered that as a bonus last year on the Ps2, but it's just nowhere near the same expeience :D:D:D

And yeah, upconverted DVDs look great. I wonder for those who have HD DVDs: Don't a lot of the releases come with the standard DVD format on one side and the HD version on the other? Perhaps the standard side will still play in a Blu-ray player??

In addition to resolution, Blu-ray audio sounds great too! Looking forward to more concert videos as they become availible...As for concert videos, I only have last year's NIN on BR but yeah, looks and sounds fantastic.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
    dirt wrote:
    No thread jacking intended...but some of you guys mentioned Sega -- I wish I would've kept my old Sega Genesis with NHL '94. I wanna play some Whale vs. Quebec so bad!!! One of the EA games offered that as a bonus last year on the Ps2, but it's just nowhere near the same expeience :D:D:D

And yeah, upconverted DVDs look great. I wonder for those who have HD DVDs: Don't a lot of the releases come with the standard DVD format on one side and the HD version on the other? Perhaps the standard side will still play in a Blu-ray player??

In addition to resolution, Blu-ray audio sounds great too! Looking forward to more concert videos as they become availible...As for concert videos, I only have last year's NIN on BR but yeah, looks and sounds fantastic.
    There are a few HD DVD titles that are 'combo discs', I don't know if the DVD side plays on a BR player though...
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Rygar wrote:
    There are a few HD DVD titles that are 'combo discs', I don't know if the DVD side plays on a BR player though...

BR players play DVD titles so I don't see why a combo DVD/HDDVD wouldn't play on a BR player.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • nerdiest thread.. ever. :p

Does anyone else not care who wins, but just wants a winner already?

I mean, the difference between VHS and DVD is amazing! The difference between DVD and 720p is nice. The difference between 720p and 1080p is minimal. Maybe my vision is just bad.

I'm with you.

I think Blu Ray is nice, but not worth what it costs now. I think my 480p movies look unbelievable on my HDTV. When BR players are in the $150 neighborhood, I'll be at the store ready to go. And I still won't run out and buy BR copies of the movies I have on DVD (except maybe Harry Potter).

I almost bought a HDDVD player last month when they were offering "300" and one of the "Bourne" movies as well as 5 mail ins for $199. When I first heard the announcement about WB, I was relieved I didn't buy it. Now that I think about it, though, it wouldn't have really been a catastrophe. At worst, I would have had a nice upconverting DVD player that had access to a HD library of a few hundred titles.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477

If you have a 42" TV and sit more than 12' away, there is no difference between 480p and 1,000,000p

I'm happy with DVD right now on my 32"..

i'd be more concerned with the 12' and such a small tv at that distance
    im sure watching bachelor party on vhs from 12 feet away is no different then the dvd version :rolleyes:
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
    were you that guy bitching about vhs going away too?
    I think my 480p movies look unbelievable on my HDTV. .
    wow just wow

the standards and opinions here just blow my mind
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I'm with you.

I think Blu Ray is nice, but not worth what it costs now. I think my 480p movies look unbelievable on my HDTV. When BR players are in the $150 neighborhood, I'll be at the store ready to go. And I still won't run out and buy BR copies of the movies I have on DVD (except maybe Harry Potter).

I almost bought a HDDVD player last month when they were offering "300" and one of the "Bourne" movies as well as 5 mail ins for $199. When I first heard the announcement about WB, I was relieved I didn't buy it. Now that I think about it, though, it wouldn't have really been a catastrophe. At worst, I would have had a nice upconverting DVD player that had access to a HD library of a few hundred titles.
    I did buy that HD player for $199 with the free movies last month and returned it 2 days later. Nothing against HD DVD, but the player ran like shit. It took forever to load and froze up. It had no features. The picture looked better, but not enough better on my 32" TV to convince me to spend $25+ on movies... for now, my Sony upconverter is sufficient. I'll think about Blu-ray if it wins and when the players are under $200 and movies under $20..
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    wow just wow

the standards and opinions here just blow my mind
    HD is nice, but to allot of people not that important of a tool to watching a movie. If you have the money to blow, its great, but I will get just as much enjoyment out of watching a movie on DVD as a high definition format if the movie has a good story.

But anyways, get off the couch and get outside to see life in the highest definition possible! :p
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    HD is nice, but to allot of people not that important of a tool to watching a movie. If you have the money to blow, its great, but I will get just as much enjoyment out of watching a movie on DVD as a high definition format if the movie has a good story.

But anyways, get off the couch and get outside to see life in the highest definition possible! :p

haha!

i love this post...

people take it as the end of the world when others don't feel the need to get off dvds and onto another format.

honestly...what do they care?

anyway, i'm enjoying my dvds all the time...and i'm not missing much.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    HD DVD is the way to go. Trust me.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    DS1119 wrote:
    HD DVD is the way to go. Trust me.

:lol::lol::lol:
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • someone must be tired after digging this fossil up....
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    blu-ray was even the next laser disc
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit