is blu-ray the next beta?

Comments

• NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Japanese news site ITmedia had an interview with Peter Moore, Microsoft's Xbox corporate VP of worldwide marketing and publishing, and he said that the Xbox 360 could have an add-on Blu-ray drive by Christmas, similar to the add-on HD DVD drive [pictured].

Owners of the portable HD DVD drive for the 360 drive might now be spitting cornflakes across their PCs, especially since it looks like they may have backed the wrong horse in the high-def race. Still, Moore was talking in Japan, where the PlayStation rules, and something like this could help boost the 360's pitiful marketshare over there.

Does it mean that Microsoft, one of THE strongest HD DVD supporters, is losing faith in the format? According to the interview, Moore now thinks that the chances of HD DVD becoming the winning HD standard are looking ‘bleak’. Oh dear.

Still, good news for 360 owners that want to be able to play whatever movie format they like.-Martin Lynch
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    Japanese news site ITmedia had an interview with Peter Moore, Microsoft's Xbox corporate VP of worldwide marketing and publishing, and he said that the Xbox 360 could have an add-on Blu-ray drive by Christmas, similar to the add-on HD DVD drive [pictured].

Owners of the portable HD DVD drive for the 360 drive might now be spitting cornflakes across their PCs, especially since it looks like they may have backed the wrong horse in the high-def race. Still, Moore was talking in Japan, where the PlayStation rules, and something like this could help boost the 360's pitiful marketshare over there.

Does it mean that Microsoft, one of THE strongest HD DVD supporters, is losing faith in the format? According to the interview, Moore now thinks that the chances of HD DVD becoming the winning HD standard are looking ‘bleak’. Oh dear.

Still, good news for 360 owners that want to be able to play whatever movie format they like.-Martin Lynch

Yeah, I think its becoming clearer and clearer all the time what the next-gen format will be.
    I just hope Blu-ray is called the "winner" soon so a) It gets all the titles (some exclusive to HD-DVD still) and most importantly b) it gets cheaper...because I want one!
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I saw this article (http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN0432340820080105?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0) and remember the thread here.

Looks as if the battle rages on...

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    What I don't get is why anyone would buy a stand-alone Blu-Ray player when the PS3 will pretty much always be the best Blu-Ray player on the market. The firmware upgrades make the PS3 worth its weight in gold.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Songburst wrote:
    What I don't get is why anyone would buy a stand-alone Blu-Ray player when the PS3 will pretty much always be the best Blu-Ray player on the market. The firmware upgrades make the PS3 worth its weight in gold.

Because many people would not use the video game component, and it would be a very pretty paperweight used only for movies.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I saw this article (http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN0432340820080105?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0) and remember the thread here.

by raging on you mean over right?
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:
    by raging on you mean over right?

i think thats what they meant. unless im mistaken blu-ray has been leading in sales for awhile. this is pretty much a nail in the coffin.

once the dust settles ill go buy the next dvd format, looks like i wont have to be waiting too much longer.
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    my2hands wrote:
    who remebers LASER DISK? LMFAO :D

My roommates and I had one. It was like a gold LP that you had to flip over 1/2 way through the movie. LOL

I'm just glad that I wasn't the one who threw away $500 for it.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    rhinomagic wrote:

at the CES on saturday, Akio Ozaka, head of Toshiba America Consumer Products, said they are still firm in the belief that their technology isn't dead yet.

"we have been declared dead before" - Jodi Sally

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD#Studio_Alliances

its all but over. blu-ray nearly owns the market by june 08. wish it had percentages but it looks like 3/4 of the market will be blu-ray exclusive. i dont think universal and paramount can carry the format alone. and paramount can jump back to blu-ray whenever they want.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    nerdiest thread.. ever. :p

Does anyone else not care who wins, but just wants a winner already?

I mean, the difference between VHS and DVD is amazing! The difference between DVD and 720p is nice. The difference between 720p and 1080p is minimal. Maybe my vision is just bad.
  • nerdiest thread.. ever. :p

Does anyone else not care who wins, but just wants a winner already?

I mean, the difference between VHS and DVD is amazing! The difference between DVD and 720p is nice. The difference between 720p and 1080p is minimal. Maybe my vision is just bad.

i dont really care, i just want it to be over with too.

i dont think this is the nerdiest thread ever....................not by a long shot. we could start a kirk vs picard thread.
    mbangel10 wrote:
    My roommates and I had one. It was like a gold LP that you had to flip over 1/2 way through the movie. LOL

I'm just glad that I wasn't the one who threw away $500 for it.
    my dad had a self flipper
    brainofPJ wrote:
    at the CES on saturday, Akio Ozaka, head of Toshiba America Consumer Products, said they are still firm in the belief that their technology isn't dead yet.

"we have been declared dead before" - Jodi Sally
    what are they going to say?

its over! anyone who's taken 5 minutes to read all the CES news knows its over
    i dont really care, i just want it to be over with too.

i dont think this is the nerdiest thread ever....................not by a long shot. we could start a kirk vs picard thread.
    its actually 6-8x better

just like the vhs to dvd jump

your eyes are bad.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    its actually 6-8x better

your eyes are bad.
    You quoted the wrong poster. Who's eyes are bad? ;)
    On topic, I really hope some of the WB HD-DVD movies don't take long hitting Blu Ray.....
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Rygar wrote:
    On topic, I really hope some of the WB HD-DVD movies don't take long hitting Blu Ray.....

Warner already releases movies in both formats... which is why this decision is such big news.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    I'm just hoping Paramount will open their eyes and go back on the crazy idea they had last year. There are a good number of movies that I would like to get on BD that aren't available yet.
    chromiam wrote:
    Warner already releases movies in both formats... which is why this decision is such big news.
    Yeah, but there's still WB movies that are available on HDDVD only (currently) I'd like to see land on BR (Matrix trilogy, for example).

If I didn't own a PS3 I probably wouldn't care about the next gen movie wars, but I do own one, so...
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Rygar wrote:
    Yeah, but there's still WB movies that are available on HDDVD only (currently) I'd like to see land on BR (Matrix trilogy, for example).

If I didn't own a PS3 I probably wouldn't care about the next gen movie wars, but I do own one, so...

I'm sure that the HD DVD only titles will be available for Blu-ray sooner rather than later, since Warner already has the Blu-ray manufacturing infrastructure in place.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • OnestabOnestab Posts: 19
    It's funny, as a new poster, watching this thread change directions...

It's gone from "is blu-ray the next betamax?"

to

"Anyone want to buy my HD-DVD player before it's a doorstop?"

in less than three weeks...

Disclosure: I'm a proud PS3 owner.
    2nd Discloure: I'm a proud Apple user.

What no one seemed to have noticed in this thread is that Apple now sits on the BD Board, and they will be putting Blu-Ray burners in their computers in 2008.

HDDVD = HDDVDead
    Onestab
    "I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    1992, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2014, 2016 -- 13 and counting.
  • polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    paramount is set to switch ... soon to be over for hd-dvd ... for those waiting to decide to get a player - wait for the new gen blu-ray players - they will allow you to play interactive games with the new dvds ...
    Onestab wrote:
    It's funny, as a new poster, watching this thread change directions...

It's gone from "is blu-ray the next betamax?"

to

"Anyone want to buy my HD-DVD player before it's a doorstop?"

in less than three weeks...

Disclosure: I'm a proud PS3 owner.
    2nd Discloure: I'm a proud Apple user.

What no one seemed to have noticed in this thread is that Apple now sits on the BD Board, and they will be putting Blu-Ray burners in their computers in 2008.

HDDVD = HDDVDead

Dell also offers Blu-ray as well.
    Financial Times says movie studio has the option to switch camps in wake of Warner's decision; studio reiterates HD-DVD stand.
    Things are heating up in the HD DVD versus Blu-ray format wars--and it's no longer looking like the stalemate that Sony CEO Howard Stringer declared two months ago.

At the end of last week, Warner Bros. announced that it had decided to back Blu-ray--and now there are rumours that because of this move, Paramount and possibly DreamWorks Animation won't be far behind.

Today's Financial Times reveals that according to its sources, Paramount is "poised to reveal" it will be abandoning the HD DVD format in order to go Blu-ray exclusive.

The article states, "Paramount, which is owned by Viacom, is understood to have a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp that would allow it to switch sides in the event of Warner Bros. backing Blu-ray."

The newspaper believes that this would be the "death knell" for HD DVD and would see the format "likely to suffer the same fate as Sony's now obsolete Betamax video technology, which lost out to VHS in a similar format war in the 1980s."

Blu-ray is currently backed by 20th Century Fox, MGM, Walt Disney, and most recently Warner Bros.; if Paramount jumps ship, Universal will be left as the biggest HD DVD backer.

However, according to a later report from Bloomberg, Paramount has denied that it will be making the move. Brenda Ciccone told the financial Web site, "Paramount's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format." Toshiba spokesperson Keisuke Ohmori called the report "speculative," while Sony declined to comment.

The rumours had an immediate effect on the stock market--Toshiba's stock fell 0.1 percent to close at ¥782 ($7.17), though during the day the shares had dropped as much as a 1.3 percent, whereas Sony's rose 3.4 percent.
    mca47 wrote:
    Financial Times says movie studio has the option to switch camps in wake of Warner's decision; studio reiterates HD-DVD stand.
    Things are heating up in the HD DVD versus Blu-ray format wars--and it's no longer looking like the stalemate that Sony CEO Howard Stringer declared two months ago.

At the end of last week, Warner Bros. announced that it had decided to back Blu-ray--and now there are rumours that because of this move, Paramount and possibly DreamWorks Animation won't be far behind.

Today's Financial Times reveals that according to its sources, Paramount is "poised to reveal" it will be abandoning the HD DVD format in order to go Blu-ray exclusive.

The article states, "Paramount, which is owned by Viacom, is understood to have a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp that would allow it to switch sides in the event of Warner Bros. backing Blu-ray."

The newspaper believes that this would be the "death knell" for HD DVD and would see the format "likely to suffer the same fate as Sony's now obsolete Betamax video technology, which lost out to VHS in a similar format war in the 1980s."

Blu-ray is currently backed by 20th Century Fox, MGM, Walt Disney, and most recently Warner Bros.; if Paramount jumps ship, Universal will be left as the biggest HD DVD backer.

However, according to a later report from Bloomberg, Paramount has denied that it will be making the move. Brenda Ciccone told the financial Web site, "Paramount's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format." Toshiba spokesperson Keisuke Ohmori called the report "speculative," while Sony declined to comment.

The rumours had an immediate effect on the stock market--Toshiba's stock fell 0.1 percent to close at ¥782 ($7.17), though during the day the shares had dropped as much as a 1.3 percent, whereas Sony's rose 3.4 percent.

As they're taking their time jumping ship, it oughta extend the life of my Transformers DVD until it hits BR...
    Microsoft May Turn to Blu-ray
    The people get what the people want.
    by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
    UK, January 9, 2008 - Following something of a disastrous week for backers of HD-DVD technology, with the announcement of Warner Bros defecting to its chief rival and murmurings of Paramount going the same way, Microsoft has revealed that should the tide turn towards Sony's technology it would consider supporting the Blu-ray with the Xbox 360.

Speaking to Reuters, group marketing manager for Xbox hardware Albert Penello said, "It should be consumer choice; and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider." Microsoft has previously aligned themselves to Toshiba's technology, offering an HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 and having been rumoured to be implementing a HD-DVD drive for future incarnations of its console.

Warner Bros's recent defection to Blu-ray technology sent shockwaves through the industry, even forcing Toshiba to cancel its Consumer Electronics Show presentation earlier this week. However, Penello was ultimately supportive of HD-DVD, stating that "…I've seen this battle declared over so many times. I want consumers to have a voice in this and I think there are a lot of consumers who bought HD-DVD who are going to have a say in how this shakes out."
    mca47 wrote:
    Microsoft May Turn to Blu-ray
    The people get what the people want.
    by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
    UK, January 9, 2008 - Following something of a disastrous week for backers of HD-DVD technology, with the announcement of Warner Bros defecting to its chief rival and murmurings of Paramount going the same way, Microsoft has revealed that should the tide turn towards Sony's technology it would consider supporting the Blu-ray with the Xbox 360.

Speaking to Reuters, group marketing manager for Xbox hardware Albert Penello said, "It should be consumer choice; and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider." Microsoft has previously aligned themselves to Toshiba's technology, offering an HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 and having been rumoured to be implementing a HD-DVD drive for future incarnations of its console.

Warner Bros's recent defection to Blu-ray technology sent shockwaves through the industry, even forcing Toshiba to cancel its Consumer Electronics Show presentation earlier this week. However, Penello was ultimately supportive of HD-DVD, stating that "…I've seen this battle declared over so many times. I want consumers to have a voice in this and I think there are a lot of consumers who bought HD-DVD who are going to have a say in how this shakes out."
    They said that over a year ago too. Any company that can afford to throw money at a dying format can afford to build a blu ray add on just as easily ;)
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    its actually 6-8x better

your eyes are bad.
    Depends on how close you sit to your TV.. sure its allot higher resolution, but will it look better and how much better..

http://www.carltonbale.com/wp-content/uploads/resolution_chart.png

If you have a 42" TV and sit more than 12' away, there is no difference between 480p and 1,000,000p

I'm happy with DVD right now on my 32"..
    Rygar wrote:
    They said that over a year ago too. Any company that can afford to throw money at a dying format can afford to build a blu ray add on just as easily ;)

Good point.
    Just kinda feel bad for all of those that have purchased HD-DVD players or add-ons.
    Hell, I know how it feels...I had a Sega Saturn back in the day LOL! Picking and dumping money on a dying format/system is just no fun.