5 Best Movies of 2007

Comments

• evenflow82 wrote:
    Am I the only person who saw and liked "Zodiac"? David Fincher's direction and the investigation aspect of it was incredible.

Although it came out in late 06, it didn't get wide release until early 07, "Children of Men" is one of the best movies of the past five years.

I was just coming on here to say i forgot about Zodiac because i saw it a few months ago, such an amazing movie, Fincher is such a control freak but it makes his movies LOOK stunning, the cinematography was easily the best of any movie this year .. also honorable mention to Ratatouille and Darjeeling Limited

and yeah Children of men is from 06 but it was the best movie of 06(well along with Departed) , so underrated, should have been nominated for best picture, a teacher and myself and some other students were talking about that sequence at the end.. anyone who has seen the movie knows what im talking about

i really want to see Before the devil knows too just theres so many im getting thru on holidays
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Sweeney Todd was fuckin incredible

I usually LOATHE musicals

haha i cant wait to see this and i LOVE musicals

come on, sound of music ????
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i just watched eastern promises and if youve never seen it, you really should. viggo mortensen and naomi watts were brilliant. the movie also contained the extreme violence that you would expect from a david cronenberg film. great movie.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I was sorely, sorely, sorely disappointed in No Country for Old Men. Thought it was rather slow, with a ridiculous ending. It's too bad too, because I love a lot of the Coen Brothers' work.

I've not seen it, but I read the book. What did you find ridiculous about the ending?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    So far from what i've seen i'm going with:

Eastern Promises
    American Gangster
    Bourne 3
    Sunshine
    Stardust

Now i have not seen:
    Atonment
    No country for Old Men
    Juno
    Sweeny todd
    diving Bell & the Butterfly
    great debators

I want to see all of them but have not made it yet. I think i'm going to check out juno tonight though :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • i just watched Atonement , it was brilliant

haunting, tragic story, stunning landscapes and cinematography.. highly recommend this one
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    brainofPJ wrote:
    the movies i enjoyed the most:

Transformers
    3:10 to Yuma

wow, i didn't see that many movies and the others that i did were very forgettable.

Transformers???

It was a train wreck! bad dialogue, bad story, bad acting.

Michael Bay = Bad
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    intodeep wrote:
    So far from what i've seen i'm going with:

Eastern Promises
    American Gangster
    Bourne 3
    Sunshine
    Stardust

Now i have not seen:
    Atonment
    No country for Old Men
    Juno
    Sweeny todd
    diving Bell & the Butterfly
    great debators

I want to see all of them but have not made it yet. I think i'm going to check out juno tonight though :)

juno is my second fave of the year, behind no country. i saw each of them twice and they are def both worth seeing and get better and better each time you watch them. be sure to let us know what you think!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    LongRd. wrote:
    Transformers???

Michael Bay = Bad

I agree, it really sucked when it could have been so good. Was bored as hell after the first hour, the battle scene at the end was possibly the most boring thing I have ever seen not to mention that it was ridiculous. I also agree about the bad acting part. Was the movie meant to be a spoof?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Why are there so many for American Gangster? It was very average with a terrible ending. The heroin version of blow and I didnt see that getting nominated even though depp is a much better actor than denzel. It was a descent movie with a bad ending. Plus Denzel gets nominated again while people that deserve it like the kid from into the wild or any of the actors that played Bob Dylan probably wont even get a nod. The acedemy has there had up there asses. I do agree that Into the Wild was the best movie of the year.....even without Ed doing the soundtrack this movie was great and the book is great, but Ed did do a graet job.
    You can turn your back on a person, but, never turn your back on a drug. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye.

Raoul Duke
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
    Last King of Scotland
    Into the Wild
    Once

Thats all I really saw this year. Dont get to the movies nearly enough. have to travel too far to a decent theater. Ours will not show a rated R movie. (owned by Mormons in a very Mormon area)
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • LongRd. wrote:
    Transformers???

Michael Bay = Bad

haha the best was at the end "oh theres gonna be a big robot war over this all spark thing, where should we hide it ?" IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY YEAAAAH!!!

but really i dont want to knock anyones choices here, someone said spiderman 3 earlier which was also terrible but i refrained, everyone is entitled to their opinion
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Why are there so many for American Gangster? It was very average with a terrible ending. The heroin version of blow and I didnt see that getting nominated even though depp is a much better actor than denzel. It was a descent movie with a bad ending. Plus Denzel gets nominated again while people that deserve it like the kid from into the wild or any of the actors that played Bob Dylan probably wont even get a nod. The acedemy has there had up there asses. I do agree that Into the Wild was the best movie of the year.....even without Ed doing the soundtrack this movie was great and the book is great, but Ed did do a graet job.

mmm i havent watched american gangster yet but my buddy was like oh the second best gangster movie of all time , i was like huh whaaat ? better then 2 of these three? godfather 1 and 2 and Goodfellas ?? uhhh ???

also into the wild made my top five but it wasnt without its flaws, the breathy narratve by the siter was a little too much and the hazy flashbacks were mega cheesy
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Have not seen No Country For Old Men, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead or There Will Be Blood yet which could very likely have been the best in what was an otherwise thin year for serious films I thought. So instead the best thing I saw was a fall down funny comedy. Superbad was the most sharply written, funniest piece of comedy that has come along in some time that went so far beyond just going for the cheap laugh. This is the kind of movie you see twenty years from now and you'll still love it, but it will become campy and full of nostalgic charm. Sort of like when I see an 80's movie from my childhood, and it just looks and feels like the 80's. I haven't liked a comedy this much since Dazed and Confused.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Did anyone see Shake Hands With the Devil? My god, that was an amazing movie.
  • I was just coming on here to say i forgot about Zodiac because i saw it a few months ago, such an amazing movie, Fincher is such a control freak but it makes his movies LOOK stunning, the cinematography was easily the best of any movie this year .. also honorable mention to Ratatouille and Darjeeling Limited

and yeah Children of men is from 06 but it was the best movie of 06(well along with Departed) , so underrated, should have been nominated for best picture, a teacher and myself and some other students were talking about that sequence at the end.. anyone who has seen the movie knows what im talking about

i really want to see Before the devil knows too just theres so many im getting thru on holidays

+1 on what you said about zodiac and children of men. :)
  • bovy_j wrote:
    Did anyone see Shake Hands With the Devil? My god, that was an amazing movie.

i'm really looking forward to seeing that one. happy to hear it was as good as it looks.
  • i just watched eastern promises and if youve never seen it, you really should. viggo mortensen and naomi watts were brilliant. the movie also contained the extreme violence that you would expect from a david cronenberg film. great movie.

i just finished watching this as well. i meant to catch it in the theatre because the trailer was so intriguing and i find the russian mob stuff fascinating...especially the stories behind the tattoos. i'm way behind on my movies this year, but eastern promises would be hard to top for me. it was fantastic. as you said, viggo and naomi were brilliant and i thought the entire story was so very well told. the subtleties in the performances and direction really drew me in and i really believed the characters...especially the way viggo perfected his part.

definitely seconding your recommendation here! :)
  • Haven't read the entire thread but in case it wasn't mentioned already The Lives of Others
    was quite excellent indeed. It spanned release dates of 2006 through 2007 around the world.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Into The Wild

*whispers* and Hairspray! lol
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    haha the best was at the end "oh theres gonna be a big robot war over this all spark thing, where should we hide it ?" IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY YEAAAAH!!!

but really i dont want to knock anyones choices here, someone said spiderman 3 earlier which was also terrible but i refrained, everyone is entitled to their opinion

I saw three movies in theatre this year and they were; Transformers, Spiderman 3, and Shrek 3. They all suck, but I was so-what suckered into watching them. LOL! That's why i prefer renting movies instead.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • just watched before the devil knows you're dead....

sydney lumet is a master of his craft, this movie was brilliant

amazing pace and just wonderfully put together... go out and see it

great score too by the guy who has done every coen brothers movie.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    1) Into The Wild

2) I Am Legend

3) Pursuit of Happyness

4) HS Musical 1

5) HS Musical 2
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • GetALifeGetALife Posts: 563
    Well... I only saw

Inland Empire (Lynch)
    Simpsons Movie
    St. Jacques - le mecque

and I liked them all...and they are non-comparable...but if I would let my heart decide, my favourite would be "St. Jacques", very very touching in both directions...humorous and sad...laughing out loud a couple of times with a very warm feeling and in the end some tears came to my eyes...very touching - check it out :)
    2000: Hamburg
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Munich * Düsseldorf
    2009: Berlin * Manchester * London
    2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin
    2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen
    EV 2012: Amsterdam I & II
    2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin
    EV 2017: Berlin
    2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin
    2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II #
    2024: Berlin I & II

~~~

“It is curious that while good people go to great lengths to spare their children from suffering, few of them seem to notice that the one (and only) guaranteed way to prevent all the suffering of their children is not to bring those children into existence in the first place.”
    ― David Benatar - Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence

• just watched before the devil knows you're dead....

sydney lumet is a master of his craft, this movie was brilliant

amazing pace and just wonderfully put together... go out and see it

great score too by the guy who has done every coen brothers movie.

Although well done, I can't recall seeing a more depressing movie....things just keep getting worse and worse (and worse) until finality.

ugh..what a burden of a movie. My chest felt heavy after watching it.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • I was horribly disappointed in Superbad. I did laugh at "McLovin" but that was about it. After my friends hyped me up......I fell asleep.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • Although well done, I can't recall seeing a more depressing movie....things just keep getting worse and worse (and worse) until finality.

ugh..what a burden of a movie. My chest felt heavy after watching it.

thats the whole point, you're supposed to feel just disgusted after watching it, similar to what the coen bros did in Fargo and No Country.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • I was horribly disappointed in Superbad. I did laugh at "McLovin" but that was about it. After my friends hyped me up......I fell asleep.

really ?? usually when my freinds hype up a movie im like ok so it must be terrible so i waited until this came out on dvd after everyone was hyping it and i loved it, i laughed so hard i felt like i was in 8th grade again!!!!
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • also im surprised at the lack of love for "once" especially on what is essentially a music board, have any of you guys seen this movie or what ????? if you havent go and like buy it or steal it or rent it, just get it.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • 5? You want 5 movies? Tough...

Knocked Up
    28 Weeks Later
    The Painted Veil
    The Namesake
    Bridge to Terabithia
    Hairspray
    Micheal Clayton
    Sunshine
    Superbad
    Right at Your Door
    Into The Wild
    The Science of Sleep
    The Last King of Scotland

I'd say it's been a good year.

The Last King of Scotland wasn't this year.
    "I wish I was the full moon... you kept your house keys on" - Wishlist (Melbourne '03)