Options

The Master Cleanse

13»

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,798
    Saturnal wrote:
    This doesn't seem like a good reason to do something.

There's no protein in lemonade. Your muscles can be broken down to get the essential amino acids that your body can't produce on it's own...you can only get those from certain protein sources. Lemonade is not gonna prevent muscle loss.

Again, imo, there's nothing that a fast can do that eating healthy and drinking lots and lots of water can't do...the only difference is, with the fast, you're at risk for muscle loss, strength loss, and getting sick more easily.

Also, if you go through with the fast, don't punish your body further with increased exercise. You might as well lay around all day. At least then you won't completely kill your metabolism.

No, the protein is in the maple syrup. Sorry, should've included that.

EDIT: Also, I can't stress enough how much this doesn't have to do with diet as it has to do with discipline and weening away from such large amounts of alcohol and other "things."
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

My numbers are off because I don't have the link (read too lazy to get it), studies done on people who died of starvation show that something like.

85% fat is lost
    15% muscle
    1% organs.

This is when someone starves to death usually over 70 to 100 days.

So my understanding is the muscle loss is very, very minor doing a fast for upwards of 40 days even. The body goes for the crap 1st and really doesn't go for muscle until the end. (Some muscle loss throughout but it is minimal.)

AND you can probably build you muscle as you said by working out a bit, or at least maintain it. AND you can build muscle back quickly if you work at it.
  • Options
    Not all proteins are complete, that's the problem. The protein in maple syrup isn't gonna prevent muscle loss either because it doesn't have a complete amino acid profile. It's definitely missing some essential amino acids (not to mention you're not drinking enough of it to begin with). They're called "essential" because your body can't produce them unless it catabolizes itself to do so. They have to come through the diet. Otherwise, you're losing muscle.
    EDIT: Also, I can't stress enough how much this doesn't have to do with diet as it has to do with discipline and weening away from such large amounts of alcohol and other "things."
    That's good...it's great to have discipline in your diet. I'm just saying that should be something you develop for life, not just for a few weeks. My main point in all this is that you can accomplish the same "cleanse" from just healthy foods and drinking lots of water. This is why doctors don't recommend extreme diets like this. The risks far outweigh the benefits. I know you feel like you need to make some drastic changes, but you can't let that totally drive your thinking on this. Eating simple, healthy foods and drinking water will drastically improve your health...it just doesn't seem like a dramatic thing to do that's all.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    That's good...it's great to have discipline in your diet. I'm just saying that should be something you develop for life, not just for a few weeks. My main point in all this is that you can accomplish the same "cleanse" from just healthy foods and drinking lots of water. This is why doctors don't recommend extreme diets like this. The risks far outweigh the benefits. I know you feel like you need to make some drastic changes, but you can't let that totally drive your thinking on this. Eating simple, healthy foods and drinking water will drastically improve your health...it just doesn't seem like a dramatic thing to do that's all.

To each their own, but it's not just something I'm going to do for a few weeks. And, without going into my situation, simply cutting out alcohol and the such slowly just won't happen. At the same time I can't say I'll never drink again. But going cold turkey for a couple weeks and starting anew seems like the best plan for me.
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:
    My numbers are off because I don't have the link (read too lazy to get it), studies done on people who died of starvation show that something like.

85% fat is lost
    15% muscle
    1% organs.

This is when someone starves to death usually over 70 to 100 days.

So my understanding is the muscle loss is very, very minor doing a fast for upwards of 40 days even. The body goes for the crap 1st and really doesn't go for muscle until the end. (Some muscle loss throughout but it is minimal.)

AND you can probably build you muscle as you said by working out a bit, or at least maintain it. AND you can build muscle back quickly if you work at it.
    So my question is, why do this? You can lose fat without losing muscle and organs through normal, healthy eating and exercise. And you can get your toxicity levels very low by drinking more water.

Also, you absolutely cannot maintain or build muscle if you're not properly fueled through your diet. I've never read anything credible that would dispute that. When you're on an extremely low-calorie intake, the LAST thing you wanna do is work out...that just encourages more muscle breakdown and metabolic slowdown.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I realize the OP is not doing this for weight loss. And I wanted to concur that only through healthy eating, moderation, and exercise will anyone find true weight loss and health.

But I don't find fasting to be detrimental long term and for some it can be a catalyst to a healthier life.

Good luck.
  • Options
    To each their own, but it's not just something I'm going to do for a few weeks. And, without going into my situation, simply cutting out alcohol and the such slowly just won't happen. At the same time I can't say I'll never drink again. But going cold turkey for a couple weeks and starting anew seems like the best plan for me.
    Yeah but think about it, man. You don't have to go on some crazy fast in order to quit alcohol and be healthy. Go cold-turkey by all means....just stop drinking alcohol and replace all your bad foods with good foods. That's not something you have to do over the course of many weeks...you can start doin' that immediately. That's cold-turkey in my book :p
  • Options
    If I were to somehow accelerate the release of toxins throughout my body, that last thing I would want is not have solid nutrition backing up the process. To me that sounds dangerous.

Too fast...too much. Slow and steady from a lifestyle perspective is how it should be seen. Heck after two years all our atoms swap out anyways. Aim for the one year or two year transformation program.

It worked for me in more ways than I can tell you.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I appreciate all the concern people, but I've made a decision and would like to go through with it. Don't worry, my blood is not on your hands if I belly up. ;)
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:
    I realize the OP is not doing this for weight loss. And I wanted to concur that only through healthy eating, moderation, and exercise will anyone find true weight loss and health.

But I don't find fasting to be detrimental long term and for some it can be a catalyst to a healthier life.

Good luck.

Well said. Thank you, sir. This is what I'm striving for - this to be a kick start on a different direction.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Being a veggie is enough for me. I don't want to go on one of these inflamed arsehole diets, when you spend all day mumbling gibberish and banging into your coffee table, and wondering what Sarah Palin was doing sitting in your fridge talking to that penguin with the yellow arms. Besides, there's plenty of good drink and drugs for that sort of thing.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Being a veggie is enough for me. I don't want to go on one of these inflamed arsehole diets, when you spend all day mumbling gibberish and banging into your coffee table, and wondering what Sarah Palin was doing sitting in your fridge talking to that penguin with the yellow arms. Besides, there's plenty of good drink and drugs for that sort of thing.

well put.
  • Options
    angie76angie76 Posts: 646
    I pretty much get my master cleanse after drinking my morning coffee..
    Dig a ditch deep enough
    To keep you clear of the sun
    You've been burned more than once
    You don't think much of trust
  • Options
    Well, it's officially day 1 of the cleanse after 3 days of easing into the process. I took the salt-water flush in the morning, but surprisingly haven't had to "go" yet. I'll have to look over what I did wrong. Also, if anyone knows why PM me. I've also started taking the senna tea the past two nights and it hasn't urged me to "go" either. Other than that, the drink is alright and my energy hasn't been slowed down.
  • Options
    I can see how they say the first 4 or 5 days are the hardest days to get over. It's day 2, and with all these people ordering out for lunch today it's KILLING me. I can smell the food. Anyway, hopefully in a few more days it will pass. Luckily it's the weekend and I'll be able to hide out. This is going to be weird - my first weekend in a loooong time where going out to the bar is not included.
  • Options
    Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    keep us updated. I'm thinking about giving the MC a shot.

Thanks!
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I can see how they say the first 4 or 5 days are the hardest days to get over. It's day 2, and with all these people ordering out for lunch today it's KILLING me. I can smell the food. Anyway, hopefully in a few more days it will pass. Luckily it's the weekend and I'll be able to hide out. This is going to be weird - my first weekend in a loooong time where going out to the bar is not included.
    I'm not a big fan of the master cleanse. However, if it's to be done, it's good to find some support.

If you are on facebook.com I found a Master Cleanse group that you might find supportive:
    The Master Cleanse Detox Support Group
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of the master cleanse. However, if it's to be done, it's good to find some support.

Thank you. That is much appreciated, as I see this thing getting harder before it gets easier. I'll try and keep people updated. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Well, here I am on day 6 and half way through the cleanse. Really can't believe I've made it this far. I can see the change in my face. I guess that's one of the first places you see a loss of weight. With that said, up until this point I really haven't craved for food...until last night/today. They say the mid-point is the hardest part to get past. As long as I stick to my regiment I don't get too weak or hungry - just lots of water too. Though today I've been really thinking about making one of my homemade buffalo chicken cheesesteaks....And I can smell food being cooked a mile away. Also, it's sooo awesome being on this cleanse during the holidays at work(if you don't know that's sarcasm). Every other day there's some kind of feast going on. All I know is our work party at the brewery will be the 23rd and I'll be done by then....Oh, yes I've been scowling the menu ever since....Chipotle chicken BLT with either the Pumpkin Ale or the Velvet Warmer seasonal lager - it's got cranberries and blood oranges in it....Ohhh yeah, I'm looking forward to that one...Hey, I didn't say I was going Vegan here...