Options

The Master Cleanse

Comments

• Options
    DonJon wrote:
    I do this twice a year - once for 10-12 days the other is just a short week.

I do 250 mls of olive oil and 250mls of lemon juice. 30ml shot of freshly squeezed lemon followed by 30 ml olive oil. Wait 15 or so minutes and do it all again till finished (so takes about 2 hrs).

If you can do it quicker than this then give it a shot but be cautious as the build up of oil in your gut can have weird effects. aka I spewed SO hard a couple of years ago.

Plenty of salad, fruit, brown rice, water, milk thistle, lecithin, seeds, red kidney beans etc

NO grog, dairy, meat, coffee, bread etc. Can have (over 12 days) 2 small 100g portions of chicken or fish (these were better than sex!).

Tough gig and the amount of little black pellets that came out my backside the days after the oil was fuckin fascinating. And yes I had my head in the bowl looking at them (at least 50)

Anything with Olive Oil is not the Master Cleanse. The Master Cleanse is the nightly senna tea, warm salt water drink in the morning & then a mix of lemon juice, Grade B maple syrup & cayenne pepper.

The maple syrup is important. It has to be good quality, pure maple syrup- the expensive kind. It cannot be Mrs. Butterworths or Vermont Maid or some crap like that that is made in a lab. Totally defeats the point of the detox.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Okay, so I've been reeling this idea through my head for about the last 2-3 months. So on the Friday after Thanksgiving I am going forward with this. I figure to ease in with soups and juices on that Friday and be into the cleanse on that Sunday which I will stay on for 14 days. This is kind of a big deal to me as it isn't something I'm doing for diet purposes, but to kind of ween off all the alcohol and other "things" that have gone into my system over the years. And I know it's not the end-all be-all of detox, but I see it as a huge way to instill some discipline back into my life along with a sense of accomplishment. If anyone has done the cleanse could you PM me as I could use the support and information? Thanks.
    There's a thread about Eddie doing a master cleanse in Porch. I think you're going about it the right way with an ease into it. Good luck!

I'm more of a fan of fruit/vegetable fasts or just good diets.

This is an aside, but I realized this after I read that thread in Porch. . . when I need more control in my life I first go to the food i.e., fruit fast, give up coffee, that sort of thing. When a big change happens in my life i.e., move, go away to college, I give up a food. I guess that's what we foodies or former foodies do. Food=money=control=money=food=control=money. I bet a lot of people are going on diets because of the financial crisis.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I bet a lot of people are going on diets because of the financial crisis.

or giving up $4 cups of starbucks' coffee
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    dude, you're a world champ. you dont need this nonsense!

just go on a sensible diet and avoid alcohol at all costs. lots o' grilled chicken and veggies. i like the smoothies for breakfast too. and workout everyday.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,798
    dude, you're a world champ. you dont need this nonsense!

just go on a sensible diet and avoid alcohol at all costs. lots o' grilled chicken and veggies. i like the smoothies for breakfast too. and workout everyday.

This is true. But again, like I've been saying all along, this isn't a matter of diet. It's a matter of setting a goal and using discipline.

You're right though - World Fuckin' Champs should look out for each other, which I appreciate.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Naomi Campbell did this years ago.
    Enough said.
    I am on a cleanse right now. I started yesterday.
    Just starting with a 7 day detox.
    It comes out of a book called the UltraSimple Diet.
    In a nutshell:
    Upon waking: 2tbs olive oil mixed w/ 1/2 juiced lemon

Breakfast: shake w/ rice protein, berries, flax oil, borage oil and ice
    hot water and lemon
    green tea

mid-morn: broth (made with organic veg)
    another shake if you need it (I haven't)

lunch: broth and some steamed veg and organic brown rice

you can snack on the broth thru the day, and lots of steamed veg

dinner: brown rice (try sweet short grain...omg, so good) with some tofu sauteed with a little olive oil. Or some chicken or certain fish.

And supplements. Magnesium, buffered C, fish oil

I will keep you posted.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    I'm skeptical this is a fad that has just caught on.

Is there any solid scientific evidence these "cleanses" actually work?

Do these things somehow make your liver and kidneys work better than they already do?

For certain several scientific studies have been conducted, and so far all I see is quack science.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257

Do these things somehow make your liver and kidneys work better than they already do?

For certain several scientific studies have been conducted, and so far all I see is quack science.

I'm skeptical this is a fad that has just caught on. (Yeah, pretty much.)

Is there any solid scientific evidence these "cleanses" actually work? (Nope, and I'm pretty sure most healthcare professionals would advise against it.)

Do these things somehow make your liver and kidneys work better than they already do? (I can't imagine. I work in cancer research with a focus on renal cell cancer so I have a pretty extensive knowledge of that particular system and I can honestly say I can't see how that would be beneficial to the kidneys...or liver in any quantifiable way. It may in fact help the GI system, but even that is questionable due to the flushing of essential bacteria from the GI tract)

For certain several scientific studies have been conducted, and so far all I see is quack science. (Yep.)
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    when i was a chap, not eating solid foods for two weeks was considered a problem, a disease if you will , not a diet :D boy getting older is no fun, and i can't even drink legally yet.. oi..
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Naomi Campbell did this years ago.
    Enough said.
    I am on a cleanse right now. I started yesterday.
    Just starting with a 7 day detox.
    It comes out of a book called the UltraSimple Diet.
    In a nutshell:
    Upon waking: 2tbs olive oil mixed w/ 1/2 juiced lemon

Breakfast: shake w/ rice protein, berries, flax oil, borage oil and ice
    hot water and lemon
    green tea

mid-morn: broth (made with organic veg)
    another shake if you need it (I haven't)

lunch: broth and some steamed veg and organic brown rice

you can snack on the broth thru the day, and lots of steamed veg

dinner: brown rice (try sweet short grain...omg, so good) with some tofu sauteed with a little olive oil. Or some chicken or certain fish.

And supplements. Magnesium, buffered C, fish oil

I will keep you posted.

good luck my friend...
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    I don't have any links, but I'd encourage you to look at some sites that are critical of this type of cleansing. I don't think there's much (if any) scientific evidence that this diet is safe and worthwhile.

IMO, the lack of nutrients you experience during the cleanse is far more damaging and dangerous than your current toxicity level (which can be greatly reduced by simply eating healthy foods and drinking lots of water).
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    I don't have any links, but I'd encourage you to look at some sites that are critical of this type of cleansing. I don't think there's much (if any) scientific evidence that this diet is safe and worthwhile.

IMO, the lack of nutrients you experience during the cleanse is far more damaging and dangerous than your current toxicity level (which can be greatly reduced by simply eating healthy foods and drinking lots of water).

not to mention how much potassium and good stuff that you need gets pulled away from your heart considering you are pretty much shitting your soul out.

Master Cleanse = Shit your soul out diet
  • Options
    angie76angie76 Posts: 646
    This can't be healthy.
    Dig a ditch deep enough
    To keep you clear of the sun
    You've been burned more than once
    You don't think much of trust
  • Options
    http://blog.healthtalk.com/zimney/master-cleanse-diet-master-scam/

it's from a doctors point of view so this might give you a bit more of an insight.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

You should be.

None.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    The particular diet I am following has plenty of nutrition and vitamins and so on.
    I feel awesome.
    My energy is so high and I feel 100x better than I did last week.
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    The particular diet I am following has plenty of nutrition and vitamins and so on.
    I feel awesome.
    My energy is so high and I feel 100x better than I did last week.

I would too with all that flushing! :D

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I would too with all that flushing! :D
    I am not doing the "Master Cleanse"
    I outlined the diet I am following above a few posts.
    I am having minimal deposits, so to speak. But healthy ones.
    :)
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I am not doing the "Master Cleanse"
    I outlined the diet I am following above a few posts.
    I am having minimal deposits, so to speak. But healthy ones.
    :)

jus messin... Actually that program sounds pretty good....very clean diet.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Jus joking around.

I'm skeptical of the Detox fad. I think if you eat clean food, and exercise, you're good.

http://skeptico.blogs.com/skeptico/2005/06/detox_diets_don.html

honestly good friend, you are skeptical of everything ;)
  • Options
    Okay, so I've started day 1 of a 3 day process of the "ease-in". I'm eating just trail mix, salad, fruits & veggies today. Tomorrow will be just juices and soup broths followed by strictly fresh OJ with the maple syrup on the third day. Then it's no looking back from there and am going to stick with 12 days of the cleanse - I think that's a nice round number for my first time 'round. We will see....
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Don't do it...
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    honestly good friend, you are skeptical of everything ;)

I've seen a lot of junk science on detoxing, most come with a price tag. All of them are adapted variations on something someone has gotten rich over by making claims that are not medically proven by anyone.

It's a lot like the bodybuilding supplement industry....huge unregulated grey area.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    The only real way to effectively detoxify yourself in my books is to shed all the excess fat where all the toxic stuff is stored by exercising, and sweating it out, and drinking lots of water in the process to assist your liver and kidneys in doing what they do best.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I had asthma for about 6 years in my 20's. I read how fasting (which is very similar to the master cleanse) could help with some minor ailments.

On the 9th day of my fast my asthma went away. Now 4 years later it has never returned.

I can't say for sure that it was the fast, but I do believe it was.

I also can't say for sure that a fast will get rid of toxins, but it seemed to work for me. I felt great on my fast and after. (my shortest being 3 days and my longest going for 40 days)

I have challenged people to come up with negatives to fasting.

I have only been able to come up with two, with a third that is unsupported by negative results that I have ever seen personally or read about.

1.) Your metabolism slows down and when you come off the fast you need to work hard to get your metabolism back to a faster level or else you will burn calories slower.

2.) There will be some muscle loss along with mostly fat cell loss. You especially need to get your muscles back to where they were or you will burn calories slower. Both of the above things will make you put on more weight than before your fast, which can be detrimental to your health.

3.) You are not getting the same amount of vitamins and minerals when not eating, but from what I understand the body systematically stores these things (most of them anyway), for periods of food shortage. So even while not eating the body regulates itself pretty well. For example there have been no documented cases of scurvy while on a fast. Even though the body does not store vitamin C.

Fasting is one of natures way of healing and one of mans oldest forms of health revitalization.
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:
    I had asthma for about 6 years in my 20's. I read how fasting (which is very similar to the master cleanse) could help with some minor ailments.

On the 9th day of my fast my asthma went away. Now 4 years later it has never returned.

I can't say for sure that it was the fast, but I do believe it was.

I also can't say for sure that a fast will get rid of toxins, but it seemed to work for me. I felt great on my fast and after. (my shortest being 3 days and my longest going for 40 days)

I have challenged people to come up with negatives to fasting.

I have only been able to come up with two, with a third that is unsupported by negative results that I have ever seen personally or read about.

1.) Your metabolism slows down and when you come off the fast you need to work hard to get your metabolism back to a faster level or else you will burn calories slower.

2.) There will be some muscle loss along with mostly fat cell loss. You especially need to get your muscles back to where they were or you will burn calories slower. Both of the above things will make you put on more weight than before your fast, which can be detrimental to your health.

3.) You are not getting the same amount of vitamins and minerals when not eating, but from what I understand the body systematically stores these things (most of them anyway), for periods of food shortage. So even while not eating the body regulates itself pretty well. For example there have been no documented cases of scurvy while on a fast. Even though the body does not store vitamin C.

Fasting is one of natures way of healing and one of mans oldest forms of health revitalization.

Yeah, I hear ya....#2 is a big concern of mine, but I guess that would equally coincide with #1....I think I'm going to try to get a half mile run with push-ups and sit-ups in every day...Hopefully this will keep the body active....And I think I have enough of a pot belly that my body will use that fat before my muscle...I'll be seriously pissed if I start losing the muscle I've built over the years...
  • Options
    One of the negatives of fasting in my books is the fact that your body starts cannibalising muscle tissue for energy as your body cannot produce protein. Essentially your body begins to consume itself, to stay alive, from the inside out.

I was reading some new scientific evidence that we are all keepers of our own genome in the sense that specific periods of hardship...no food....fasting...introduced illnesses in future generations tied to periods of improper nutrition.

Then there are all the free radicals floating around damaging all kinds of stuff without a steady flow of antioxidants to combat the process, binding to them, and helping flushthem out.

Just exercise, drink lots of water and eat the best and most nutritious diet you can assemble for yourself with lots of health minded articles as the foundation. Fasting is not going to flush out the various lymph nodes throughout the body through muscular contraction and increased cardiovascular function.

My 2c There isn't a quick fix to living a healthy lifestyle in my books.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Yeah, I hear ya....#2 is a big concern of mine, but I guess that would equally coincide with #1....I think I'm going to try to get a half mile run with push-ups and sit-ups in every day...Hopefully this will keep the body active....And I think I have enough of a pot belly that my body will use that fat before my muscle...I'll be seriously pissed if I start losing the muscle I've built over the years...

Actually after about three hours or so, your body needs new protein, or it starts grabbing it from your muscles. I think to go days like this would really exacerbate the process.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Actually after about three hours or so, your body needs new protein, or it starts grabbing it from your muscles. I think to go days like this would really exacerbate the process.

This is true. But fuck it. I made a decision and I'm going through with it.

EDIT: Apparently as long as enough of the lemonade is consumed the body will not turn to muscle for nourishment since the nutrients should be supplied in the drink.
  • Options
    This is true. But fuck it. I made a decision and I'm going through with it.

This doesn't seem like a good reason to do something.
    EDIT: Apparently as long as enough of the lemonade is consumed the body will not turn to muscle for nourishment since the nutrients should be supplied in the drink.
    There's no protein in lemonade. Your muscles can be broken down to get the essential amino acids that your body can't produce on it's own...you can only get those from certain protein sources. Lemonade is not gonna prevent muscle loss.

Again, imo, there's nothing that a fast can do that eating healthy and drinking lots and lots of water can't do...the only difference is, with the fast, you're at risk for muscle loss, strength loss, and getting sick more easily.

Also, if you go through with the fast, don't punish your body further with increased exercise. You might as well lay around all day. At least then you won't completely kill your metabolism.