Bob Ross

Comments

• failedpersephonefailedpersephone Posts: 3,424
    jamie uk wrote:
    I have to say, there's a lot of evidence of pre-concieved opinions being diplayed here.
    Who said Bob's work doesn't make you think? Ask yourself why, then ask yourself why you percieve that some of this so called 'intellectually superior' work does make you think.
    Is it maybe that you've been programmed to react that way? Perish the thought. But just suppose it's true, just suppose some poncey, fancy talkin intellectual art teacher just put all those thoughts in your heads...in heads in general, it's not impossible. I mean just why does a pile of white blocks on the floor make you think more than Bobs landscapes? Then just think, 'well does it really make me think, or have I been pre-conditioned to think it makes me think, that I should look deeper, or pretend to at least, maybe I am afraid not to think because then I'll see stupid? Hmmmm

Like I said two days ago, Emporers new clothes ;)

that is IT...marry me!! we shall not have babies together!!!

seriously!! I stood up in my Art Appreciation class (didn't grad from art school either!! hahahahaa) and said "the emperor has no clothes!!!" because of this painting that was a green dot in the lower left corner...it was supposed to invoke the feeling of helplessness in the face of "the machinery of man" and it was a crooked green dot in the corner of a white (wasted) canvas!!!

you are right...I should not have said that Mr. Ross' art did not "make you think" or wasn't intended to make you think...I was falling into my own pretentious trap!!! Sweet Jamie (UK) you have saved me!!!

however, the piles of white blocks (alluded to) FORCE you the viewer, to come up with a series of "what/why" in order to quantify their existence in a gallery...and well, Bob tells you that his trees are happy. ;)
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • jamie uk wrote:
    I have to say, there's a lot of evidence of pre-concieved opinions being diplayed here.
    Who said Bob's work doesn't make you think? Ask yourself why, then ask yourself why you percieve that some of this so called 'intellectually superior' work does make you think.
    Is it maybe that you've been programmed to react that way? Perish the thought. But just suppose it's true, just suppose some poncey, fancy talkin intellectual art teacher just put all those thoughts in your heads...in heads in general, it's not impossible. I mean just why does a pile of white blocks on the floor make you think more than Bobs landscapes? Then just think, 'well does it really make me think, or have I been pre-conditioned to think it makes me think, that I should look deeper, or pretend to at least, maybe I am afraid not to think because then I'll see stupid? Hmmmm

Well said.

Could you not argue all of this the other way though? There are a lot of people who argue that Modern art = shit. It's a very popular view. Have you let them convince you of it before you've given it much thought for yourself?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    jamie uk wrote:

"I don't understand a word you just said"

-ala farmer in napoleon dynamite
    I love to turn you on
  • Well said.

Could you not argue all of this the other way though? There are a lot of people who argue that Modern art = shit. It's a very popular view. Have you let them convince you of it before you've given it much thought for yourself?

I think there's a difference between appreciating what you might call "classicist" art, and "modern" art. Even if you don't think Bob Ross is a brilliant artistic mind, you can at least appreciate that he can paint a fairly good-looking landscape. Whereas, while you might get something out of some Rothko blobs, to someone else, they're just blobs.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • I think there's a difference between appreciating what you might call "classicist" art, and "modern" art. Even if you don't think Bob Ross is a brilliant artistic mind, you can at least appreciate that he can paint a fairly good-looking landscape. Whereas, while you might get something out of some Rothko blobs, to someone else, they're just blobs.

Truth. :) It's all subjective. But although I can't say a Ross original is a blob, I can call it cookie-cutter American tourist gift shop art. Generic and boring, and it does nothing for me except for entertain me on tele.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Well said.

I just don't, for the very life of me, see how some of the modern/conceptual art is taken seriously, sorry. The theory that it's shit is popular, because it's pretty much true, well to most people anyway. It seems there's an elitest eliment that preach the superiority of modern/conceptual art, where as, and I'm a simple minded person Mark, in my opinion a piece of art should just speak for itself...there's no need of the clap trap. But then, most of this stuff would be nothing without that very element would it...like I said, it's not so much about art, more about the art of bullshitting.
    Right, pint? ;)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie uk wrote:
    I just don't, for the very life of me, see how some of the modern/conceptual art is taken seriously, sorry. The theory that it's shit is popular, because it's pretty much true, well to most people anyway. It seems there's an elitest eliment that preach the superiority of modern/conceptual art, where as, and I'm a simple minded person Mark, in my opinion a piece of art should just speak for itself...there's no need of the clap trap. But then, most of this stuff would be nothing without that very element would it...like I said, it's not so much about art, more about the art of bullshitting.
    Right, pint? ;)

Fuck yeah. We'll get you drunk and then show you a Rothko original. ;)

• Truth. :) It's all subjective. But although I can't say a Ross original is a blob, I can call it cookie-cutter American tourist gift shop art. Generic and boring, and it does nothing for me except for entertain me on tele.

Fair enough - but the point I was making is that you can see that Bob Ross can paint a convincing landscape. Call it boring, but it took a good deal of artistic talent to do it. But with a Rothko, if you don't buy into the "conceptual, beating-heart of mankind in a washbasin of woe" horseshit, there's not really much artistic ability on show.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I like this Rhinoceros Surprise person.
    I like your cartoons. I just looked at them.
    1920's newspaper...:p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    you guys just need to get a room already. at the motel 6 :p

Crap, I went to lunch before I read this. Too late to reply with something witty...
    Fuck yeah. We'll get you drunk and then show you a Rothko original. ;)

:o Don't bother, I just looked at this....

http://www.postershop.com/Rothko-Mark/Rothko-Mark-Yellow-And-Gold-7800021.html

I mean, seriously, I do that stuff on peoples wall when they're deciding what colour they want.
    I'll not carry on any longer, I can't believe you reckon this is better than Bobs landscapes.

It's like saying an elephant shit is more impressive than Mt Everest....good grief !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll still take the beer though :D
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    I like this Rhinoceros Surprise person.
    I like your cartoons. I just looked at them.
    1920's newspaper...:p

I thank-a you kindly.:)
    and now we are talking about skill as a painter!!

I love this Message pit!!

*hugs computer*
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    TrixieCat wrote:

Even those dogs playing poker have a Bob Ross painting hanging in the background.
    Even those dogs playing poker have a Bob Ross painting hanging in the background.
    Clever.
  • at least he wasnt pretentious like some of the artschool deuches around here.

plus he could really pull of the fro.

thumbs way up for bob ross.
    MrSmith wrote:
    at least he wasnt pretentious like some of the artschool deuches around here.

:(

douche. :D
    TrixieCat wrote:

Hey, do you reckon they got Rothko in to do the wallpaper? Imagine the scene at the art studio...

Artist to apprentice
    "man my arm aches from doing all these dogs, and you've done a nice job of that clock. Oh, I can't be arsed with the background.....send that baldy fella in, the one who answers the phones, let that useless get do it, he's only good at doing backgrounds"

Apprentice to baldy chap on front desk
    "Hey Mark, fancy doing some little blue splodges for us?"
    :D:D:D:D:p
    jamie uk wrote:
    Hey, do you reckon they got Rothko in to do the wallpaper? Imagine the scene at the art studio...

Artist to apprentice
    "man my arm aches from doing all these dogs, and you've done a nice job of that clock. Oh, I can't be arsed with the background.....send that baldy fella in, the one who answers the phones, let that useless get do it, he's only good at doing backgrounds"

Apprentice to baldy chap on front desk
    "Hey Mark, fancy doing some little blue splodges for us?"
    :D:D:D:D:p
    AH!! bwahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

"fancy doing some blue splodges for us!!"

I peed.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    just to enlighten you all...I actually surfed in a bob Ross painting once. Yep, inside the painting! There was oil paint all over my board and belly region. Maybe just a little in my hair too.

No, seriously...I recorded like 20 episodes and put them on dvd, and i put them on as a background company all the time. The beach scenes get me every time. I just wana be inside that painting!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • just to enlighten you all...I actually surfed in a bob Ross painting once. Yep, inside the painting! There was oil paint all over my board and belly region. Maybe just a little in my hair too.

No, seriously...I recorded like 20 episodes and put them on dvd, and i put them on as a background company all the time. The beach scenes get me every time. I just wana be inside that painting!

Yep, especially the perfectly oval ones where he peels the paper off afterwards. Look, a perfect oval! :D

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    You know, I don't particularly rate Rothko that highly amongst artists but those who HATE him are the worst people ever.

True story.

:)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You know, I don't particularly rate Rothko that highly amongst artists but those who HATE him are the worst people ever.

True story.

You so just Odin'd me.:p
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

True story.

can't stand him. i dont mind being the worst lol
    Hah, well, I'm indulging in hyperbole just to fit in here in this thread but seriously, the anger with which some of you people talk about modern art comes across as easily more self-satisfied and pretentious than any purveyor of modern art :) Why let it bother you? No one is forcing you to walk around the tate and say "this is incredible".

Some people (and I am not talking about anyone specifically here :) ) need to get over themselves and accept that their opinions are no more valid than anyone else's.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    MrSmith wrote:
    at least he wasnt pretentious like some of the artschool deuches around here.

thank you!!!!! someone finally said it

i feel like i'm back at college and i'm forced to hang out with the tortured theater students....:p

get over yourselves people....:D:D
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Hah, well, I'm indulging in hyperbole just to fit in here in this thread but seriously, the anger with which some of you people talk about modern art comes across as easily more self-satisfied and pretentious than any purveyor of modern art :) Why let it bother you? No one is forcing you to walk around the tate and say "this is incredible".

Some people (and I am not talking about anyone specifically here :) ) need to get over themselves and accept that their opinions are no more valid than anyone else's.

it bothers me because its considered by the so called art community to be superior to older styles and 'lower' forms of modern day art like comics or poster art. If one were to aspire to the greatness of a Sargeant, Rockwell or Bouguereau you would be laughed out of many galleries. there is a mountain of great art coming out but the only thing that gets respect from art critics seems to be the New York high art crap. It has its place and i like some of it but it is vastly overrated.
    MrSmith wrote:
    it bothers me because its considered by the so called art community to be superior to older styles and 'lower' forms of modern day art like comics, rock art or graffiti. If one were to aspire to the greatness of a Sargeant, Rockwell or Bouguereau you would be laughed out of many galleries. there is a mountain of great art coming out but the only thing that gets respect from art critics seems to be the New York high art crap. It has its place and i like some of it but it is vastly overrated.
    IT isn't a homogenous collection of art. Modern art isn't overrated. SOME modern art is overrated, even a lot is. The "medium" is not, and even calling it a particular type of art is silly. A lot of the 'New York High Art crap' is bullshit but that doesn't mean that the good examples of modern art are inferior to the classics which are, for some reason, not subject to criticism from anyone. The difference is, those of us who do not write off modern art also do not write off the old masters. That would be daft and arrogant. I take no sides. Art is art.