Bob Ross

Comments

• decent painter does not equal charlatan though. charlatan implies he faked it or something. and it looked like he was painting, pretty sure :p

Yes... I'm afraid hyperbole is something I am cursed with.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    charlatan |ˈ sh ärlətən; ˈ sh ärlətn|
    noun
    a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill; a fraud. See note at quack

nope, don't apply :D
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Oh no it wasn't failed sarcasm, it was good - I wondered if you were very subtly trying to say his stuff was generic. I'd agree - nicely played. :p

Ok good... I thought we were growing apart. I feel better now.
  • Bob Ross was a fantastic teacher, and he did the world wonders to introduce a whole bunch of people to painting... OK? But he wasn't a brilliant painter. He was a decent painter.

What I don't get is why his simple landscapes make him nothing more than a decent painter, but Rothko's two-splodges-of-colour make him a genius.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Ok good... I thought we were growing apart. I feel better now.

Do you want a hug? Cus I can give you a hug.. if you want.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Ok, so Bob Ross' work looks like a million other works out there. I am pretty sure they are not hanging masterpieces in the lobby of a motel. Nor are they selling them at those "art shows" that are held at the Holiday Inn.
    Perhaps he was their influence?

Oh and I consider Rembrandt and Caravaggio to be 2 of the world's most exquisite painters, but their work looks alot like alot of other stuff, wouldn't you say? Just saying..
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • What I don't get is why his simple landscapes make him nothing more than a decent painter, but Rothko's two-splodges-of-colour make him a genius.

I've never called Rothko a genius. I'm not sure who I'd call a genius.. very few people. But Rothko, at the time he was painting, wasn't generic American tourist gift shop art.

• failedpersephonefailedpersephone Posts: 3,424
    Woah...Harmless!!!

what the hell?? !! :eek:

Bob Ross was a great teacher!! he showed millions of people that painting landscapes is a relaxing and easy HOBBY...he wasn't trying to fool anyone into thinking that his paintings were Monet's!!

he was like, "dude...use a fuckin' spatula to make tree trunks straight...use a white motherfucker to cover your mistakes...always add a sweet fuckin' road that leads around a bend...and make thefuckin' bitch assed trees happy - give em' some sick ass greenish fuzz for leaves...shit yeah, son!" (okay maybe he didn't talk like that...but you get my point.)

dude, they are happy little trees...not pretentious, blurry color blocks. ;):D:p
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Do you want a hug? Cus I can give you a hug.. if you want.

maybe a quick pat on the ass and send me on my way
    dude, they are happy little trees...not pretentious, blurry color blocks. ;):D:p
    the key words in that, "not pretentious". yeah his work wasn't tortured or had pig heads and cow carcasses with babies screaming in the corner...it was just beautiful landscapes (god forbid!)
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    Ok, so Bob Ross' work looks like a million other works out there. I am pretty sure they are not hanging masterpieces in the lobby of a motel. Nor are they selling them at those "art shows" that are held at the Holiday Inn.

Oh and I consider Rembrandt and Caravaggio to be 2 of the world's most exquisite painters, but their work looks alot like alot of other stuff, wouldn't you say? Just saying..

Yes, I would. I'm not a fan of that kind of art. But are you comparing the skill of Bob Ross with Rembrandt? I hope not. :p

maybe a quick pat on the ass and send me on my way
    you guys just need to get a room already. at the motel 6 :p
  • Woah...Harmless!!!

what the hell?? !! :eek:

Bob Ross was a great teacher!! he showed millions of people that painting landscapes is a relaxing and easy HOBBY...he wasn't trying to fool anyone into thinking that his paintings were Monet's!!

he was like, "dude...use a fuckin' spatula to make tree trunks straight...use a white motherfucker to cover your mistakes...always add a sweet fuckin' road that leads around a bend...and make thefuckin' bitch assed trees happy - give em' some sick ass greenish fuzz for leaves...shit yeah, son!" (okay maybe he didn't talk like that...but you get my point.)

If you'll scroll up, I've acknowledged Bob Ross was a great teacher. He taught people how to paint deceptively simple landscapes.

And very funny post btw.. A Bob Ross parody would be awesome.

Yes, I would. I'm not a fan of that kind of art. But are you comparing the skill of Bob Ross with Rembrandt? I hope not. :p
    Oh, now I see where you are coming from...you are really not reading what I am saying.
    Where do you read that I am comparing?
    I clearly seperated both points with a few enters.

Walk through the Rijksmuseum, the masterpieces, and sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between different artists.
    And No, I am not even comparing Rembrandt to Caravaggio.
    I am talking about influencing other artists.
    Bob Ross has clearly influenced an entire generation of amateur artists.

And you did say you 'fucking love Rothko" and he is "awesome". :p
    i find rothko to be amateurish but i would never call him a charlatan.
    you guys just need to get a room already. at the motel 6 :p
    Now that was cheeky. :p
    If you'll scroll up, I've acknowledged Bob Ross was a great teacher. He taught people how to paint deceptively simple landscapes.

And very funny post btw.. A Bob Ross parody would be awesome.
    are you tellin' me to scroll? :mad: ( :p )

yeah - he was never trying to pass his stuff of as anything more that 70's kitsch -stuff that is suitable hanging in gramma's house
    ("wow, gramma did you paint that yourself?!?! GRAMMA?? CAN YOU HEAR ME??? GRAMMMMA!!!! oh...sleeping...um DID - YOU - PAINT - THAT - YOUR...aww fuck it, NICE PAINTING GRAMMA!!" )

I think he was entertaining (as an art-school drop out) and instructive...besides, I loved his calming voice and the fact that, like Mr. Rogers, he was talking to you from a box...letting you know it's all okay...it's okay...shuuush shuuuush shuuuuuush ssshhhhhhhh shhhhhhhhh there you go, mija..it's okaaaaay...

:D
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    Oh, now I see where you are coming from...you are really not reading what I am saying.
    Where do you read that I am comparing?
    I clearly seperated both points with a few enters.

Walk through the Rijksmuseum, the masterpieces, and sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between different artists.
    And No, I am not even comparing Rembrandt to Caravaggio.
    I am talking about influencing other artists.
    Bob Ross has clearly influenced an entire generation of amateur artists.

And you did say you 'fucking love Rothko" and he is "awesome". :p

You were saying that Bob Ross' stuff is generic in the same way that Rembrandt and Caravaggio's stuff is, yes?

Yes.. I do love Rothko. At the time he was painting, his style was revolutionary. :)

• I've never called Rothko a genius. I'm not sure who I'd call a genius.. very few people. But Rothko, at the time he was painting, wasn't generic American tourist gift shop art.

So I'm given to hyperbole too.:p I don't think ragging on his work because it's not startlingly original is fair, though - I'd say the ability to paint a great-looking landscape is far more laudable than the ability to be "different" by throwing some random, coloured blobs on a canvas.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    You were saying that Bob Ross' stuff is generic in the same way that Rembrandt and Caravaggio's stuff is, yes?

Yes.. I do love Rothko. At the time he was painting, his style was revolutionary. :)
    Generic?
    Where did you read that?
    I need a drink.....
  • are you tellin' me to scroll? :mad: ( :p )

yeah - he was never trying to pass his stuff of as anything more that 70's kitsch -stuff that is suitable hanging in gramma's house
    ("wow, gramma did you paint that yourself?!?! GRAMMA?? CAN YOU HEAR ME??? GRAMMMMA!!!! oh...sleeping...um DID - YOU - PAINT - THAT - YOUR...aww fuck it, NICE PAINTING GRAMMA!!" )

I think he was entertaining (as an art-school drop out) and instructive...besides, I loved his calming voice and the fact that, like Mr. Rogers, he was talking to you from a box...letting you know it's all okay...it's okay...shuuush shuuuush shuuuuuush ssshhhhhhhh shhhhhhhhh there you go, mija..it's okaaaaay...

THANKYOU!!! 70's kitsch to hang up in Grandma's house in the outskirts of Disney World! I've been waiting for someone to say it... gimme a kiss! :D

• TrixieCat wrote:

I just felt I had to remind you what you said here. How are you *not* comparing these painters? You are saying that to call Bob Ross' style generic is not valid because Rembrandt and Caravaggio aren't so original either. Their stuff looks like other stuff.

If you're *not* saying that, please feel free to tell me what you are saying by the above post...

And pour me a Jim Beam? :o

I just felt I had to remind you what you said here. How are you *not* comparing these painters? You are saying that to call Bob Ross' style generic is not valid because Rembrandt and Caravaggio aren't so original either Their stuff looks like other stuff.

If you're *not* saying that, please feel free to tell me what you are saying by the above post...

And pour me a Jim Beam? :o
    Are you referring to Rem and Car (:p) ?
    I said that they are 2 of the world's most amazing painters. And yet their stuff looks like many other artist's works. From the same period. I was not trying to compare the two. If that is how you read it, I apologize. Who the fuck would ever do that??? :p;) Compare them, I mean.

Dad drinks Jim Beam...ick.
    And it isn't even noon here yet. I am a lady, you know.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross was specifically made for artistic idiots like myself who couldn't tell the difference between a freakin' fan brush and a round brush and who could only draw stick figures. His voice is so soothing because if I tried to paint what he painted I would certainly throw my canvass out the window.
    I love to turn you on
    THANKYOU!!! 70's kitsch to hang up in Grandma's house in the outskirts of Disney World! I've been waiting for someone to say it... gimme a kiss! :D
    MUAH!

now do me !!!!

(I meant my turn for an e-kiss, Mr. Dirty pants!!!)

see, I don't think there is anything wrong with that description of Mr. Ross' work...it's not like he was harumphing about not being taken "seriously" as an artist...his work didn't convey anything beyond...um, I dunno...a forest with a copse of trees...maybe a barn?? who knows let's see if we need a pond...maybe some smoke coming out of a chimney...that isn't a barn anymore...see? now our family needs a pond to go fishing?? see? just like that.

his work wasn't intended to make you think or react or feel...it was intended to show gramma that SHE too can paint without using a paint by numbers kit.

nothing wrong with that...

he was a fine landscape artist, and that made him a great public access art teacher.
  • MUAH!

now do me !!!!

(I meant my turn for an e-kiss, Mr. Dirty pants!!!)

see, I don't think there is anything wrong with that description of Mr. Ross' work...it's not like he was harumphing about not being taken "seriously" as an artist...his work didn't convey anything beyond...um, I dunno...a forest with a copse of trees...maybe a barn?? who knows let's see if we need a pond...maybe some smoke coming out of a chimney...that isn't a barn anymore...see? now our family needs a pond to go fishing?? see? just like that.

his work wasn't intended to make you think or react or feel...it was intended to show gramma that SHE too can paint without using a paint by numbers kit.

he was a fine landscape artist, and that made him a great public access art teacher.

Yep. :)

And by the way, I did you.. did you feel it? :D

TrixieCat wrote:
    Now that was cheeky. :p
    that's my name baby :D
    Yep. :)

And by the way, I did you.. did you feel it? :D
    OOOOH NINJA!!!!!

very stealth! ;)

oh - here is an example of Arthur Gilbert (Californian landscape painter - his stuff is actually in museums... http://www.askart.com/AskART/photos/MOR20060620_3160/48.jpg this one is called Big Sur...I personally think he is lacking happy trees...)

basically, I personally find landscapes a little boring...and that includes even those painted by capital A Artists ...

now Harmless...apologize to Mr. Ross, and I shall give you 'nother big juicy e-kiss!! (dammit, they dont have a batting my eyes at you smilie!!!)

yeah, didn't think it would work :D
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I have to say, there's a lot of evidence of pre-concieved opinions being diplayed here.
    Who said Bob's work doesn't make you think? Ask yourself why, then ask yourself why you percieve that some of this so called 'intellectually superior' work does make you think.
    Is it maybe that you've been programmed to react that way? Perish the thought. But just suppose it's true, just suppose some poncey, fancy talkin intellectual art teacher just put all those thoughts in your heads...in heads in general, it's not impossible. I mean just why does a pile of white blocks on the floor make you think more than Bobs landscapes? Then just think, 'well does it really make me think, or have I been pre-conditioned to think it makes me think, that I should look deeper, or pretend to at least, maybe I am afraid not to think because then I'll see stupid? Hmmmm

Like I said two days ago, Emporers new clothes ;)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965

haha i used to watch bob ross with my grandmother! she could paint! i just sat there jealous!
    I love to turn you on