OCD-ish habits.........

Comments

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I used to have OCDish habits when I was younger but I seemed to have grown out of them. Does anyone know why certain people have OCD's?

that's good that you grew out of it. you are supposed to. I suffer from checking things. Some days, I seem normal and forget to check. Then I'll be driving down the road and turn around and go home to see if things are unplugged. I left the stove on once all day, I was lucky I did not have a fire.
    It was over 20 years ago and still haunts me.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I leave in the morning for work and close the garage door. Then I drive around the block so I can check my house to be sure I shut the door.

My daughter (who is 7), even teases me about it now.
  • i hate it when i hear people chew. idk if thats OCD though
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • I used to live with a girl that had these little gnome figurines on a shelf on the dining room wall. (I know that should have been the first sign)

I decided to move (rotate) a few ever so slightly...like millimeters from their original position. Within an hour or so they were all moved back...

I did this a few times over the course of a couple weeks, until she actually confronted me about it.

freaking twilight zone...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    i hate it when i hear people chew. idk if thats OCD though

Eurgh yeah! I HATE watching people eat in work, nobody else seems to notice how disgusting they are, oh god it makes my blood boil at times, its sooooooo annoying i feel like i wanna hit them at times! :( perhaps its just me with the issues :confused:
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    even in the dishwasher i divide the cutlery by type, to make it easier/faster to put away when emptied.

I am pretty much a slob in many ways, but this I do always. It is just to practical... it drives me crazy when someone else fills my dishwasher :o
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    i hate it when i hear people chew. idk if thats OCD though
    That's not really OCD behavior though.

That's just an annoying pet peeve, of which I can't stand either....
  • Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,823
    I used to have OCDish habits when I was younger but I seemed to have grown out of them. Does anyone know why certain people have OCD's?

There hasn't been a verified 'cause', but some factions think it's biological/neurological and some think it's psychological.

Personally, I think it's hereditary, because my Nana and my dad (her son) had it, to different degrees - my Nana was more compulsive - checking the door locks 15x, counting, etc., - while my dad was more obsessive. I have it and we confirmed with the pediatrician that my daughter has a mild case of it as well.

I also think that 'nurture' also affects how emphasized the 'nature' instinct goes. I try not to let my daughter witness my OCD related actions and consequently she has less of a tendency to pick up and emphasize her own latent OCD traits. At least I hope! :o
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    If I'm at a restaraunt eating ... if I, or anyone else, uses ketchup, mustard, tobasco, syrup ... anything that causes you to remove a cap before using ... I will put the cap back on ... even if I'm not using whatever the said item is.

It kind of tweaks me out that it's still open as we eat.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • jimed14 wrote:
    If I'm at a restaraunt eating ... if I, or anyone else, uses ketchup, mustard, tobasco, syrup ... anything that causes you to remove a cap before using ... I will put the cap back on ... even if I'm not using whatever the said item is.

It kind of tweaks me out that it's still open as we eat.

I don't think many of these are considered as OCD. Maybe just quirky behaviour?

I used to have a problem with our garden gate when I was little. I don't want to go into it but I was weird about it. :p

My mum has an issue with ornaments and stuff so I think possibly it is hereditary.
  • I have to brush my teeth 3 times and gargle between each time. I use 3 brushes too.

I poufy wash myself twice head to feet so that the imaginary dirt and boooogie gooos go down the drain faster.

When I drink water from a reusable sports bottle I have to hold the lid/handle thingy with my RIGHT hand and can't hold it with my left at all.

pillows must be removed from my bed in the same order they are placed on my bed. and it helps if they are stacked in the spare chair. (not the rocking chair)

also when chewing gum, I have to pop the gum 6 times on my right side RIGHT before I throw it away in the trash - or else I will swallow it.

yeah. I am pretty much a nutcase.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • So why do some people grow out of these things and others don't? :)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman wrote:
    i'm just checking my 1st post is still on this thread... phew .. it is!!!!

i'm just checking this post is still there.

i just turned my lights on and off 147 times... i was checking for epilepsy
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I have to brush my teeth 3 times and gargle between each time. I use 3 brushes too.

I poufy wash myself twice head to feet so that the imaginary dirt and boooogie gooos go down the drain faster.

When I drink water from a reusable sports bottle I have to hold the lid/handle thingy with my RIGHT hand and can't hold it with my left at all.

pillows must be removed from my bed in the same order they are placed on my bed. and it helps if they are stacked in the spare chair. (not the rocking chair)

also when chewing gum, I have to pop the gum 6 times on my right side RIGHT before I throw it away in the trash - or else I will swallow it.

yeah. I am pretty much a nutcase.

Actually, I was expecting something way more debaucherous and/or deranged. Are you sure you're telling us everything?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I HAVE to untie my shoes before I take them off.....

I WILL NOT wear clothes more than once. Doesnt matter if I have had them on for 10 secs. Once they come off the must be washed...

My alarm clock is set 30 minutes ahead of every other clock in the house, but I still set the alarm as if it were the correct time...Have done this since I was a kid. If I wake in the middle of the night to use the restroom or get a beverage or whatever, I reset the alarm before I crawl back in bed.

I will only sleep on the left side of the bed...

I MUST make my bed the SECOND I wake up.

I get dressed the EXACT same way everyday. No exceptions.

I WILL NOT wear shoes without socks. NO EXCEPTIONS...Doesnt matter if it is slippers, tennis shoes, sandals, boots, WHATEVER.

:)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
    get em listed!!!!!!! :D

I suppose I'll give in and post some of mine since some of you are as kooky as I am. Some of my things.. but not all :o

- Every morning I have to follow the same exact routine. Socks/slippers on in the winter/flip flops in the summer, bra on, contacts on, bathroom. If I divert from this.. well I never do :)

- I count things like crazy, most of the time not realizing I do it. Stairs, items, cars in front of me to the stop light, etc.

- All of my cans/boxes/cartons in my kitchen and bathroom must be facing out and right side up and orderly.

- I try to make everything very symmetrical. Magnets, picture frames, vases, etc. I notice immediately if something has shifted. It also drives me crazy to go into people's houses where things aren't aligned "right".

- I check door locks and alarm clocks 3-5 or more times. Just in case I forget.

- I tend to do things in 3's

- All my light switches are in the down position for 'off'. They can't be up for 'off'. It freaks me out.

- At the grocery store I have a very specific way of going up and down the aisles. If I divert from the pattern it throws me off my grocery list and I forget stuff.

- I alphabetize and chronologicalize (? is that a word? LOL) everything.

- My dishwasher has to be filled exactly a certain way. I'll take stuff out other people put in, just to have it fit 'right'.

There's a bunch more, and some things I've been able to overcome. Mostly people just think I'm uber-organized :D:o
    Wishlist Foundation

♥♥♥
  • Foxy Mop wrote:
    I suppose I'll give in and post some of mine since some of you are as kooky as I am. Some of my things.. but not all :o

- Every morning I have to follow the same exact routine. Socks/slippers on in the winter/flip flops in the summer, bra on, contacts on, bathroom. If I divert from this.. well I never do :)

- I count things like crazy, most of the time not realizing I do it. Stairs, items, cars in front of me to the stop light, etc.

- All of my cans/boxes/cartons in my kitchen and bathroom must be facing out and right side up and orderly.

- I try to make everything very symmetrical. Magnets, picture frames, vases, etc. I notice immediately if something has shifted. It also drives me crazy to go into people's houses where things aren't aligned "right".

- I check door locks and alarm clocks 3-5 or more times. Just in case I forget.

- I tend to do things in 3's

- All my light switches are in the down position for 'off'. They can't be up for 'off'. It freaks me out.

- At the grocery store I have a very specific way of going up and down the aisles. If I divert from the pattern it throws me off my grocery list and I forget stuff.

- I alphabetize and chronologicalize (? is that a word? LOL) everything.

- My dishwasher has to be filled exactly a certain way. I'll take stuff out other people put in, just to have it fit 'right'.

There's a bunch more, and some things I've been able to overcome. Mostly people just think I'm uber-organized :D:o
    yikes! :D you would drive me up a wall.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
    yikes! :D you would drive me up a wall.

LOL I've heard that before. :o In retaliation My friends/family like to F with me by messing around with stuff around my house. Drives me crazy.

I'm never on time for anything either. Ever. :o
    Wishlist Foundation

♥♥♥
  • I was watching snooker last night and thinking how therapeutic it must be for OCD sufferers. I find it comforting how they clear the table... especially if all the colours are on their spots once all the reds have been potted :o . I prefer if they pick off the ones from the side first though and leave the tidy ones where they are :)

I bet the game was invented by someone with OCD
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    what the shitting hell is this doing on page 4?????? 4 i say!!!!! christ, this just wont do.........go on, back to page 1 ya go!!!

is it OCD-ish to check all the threads you have started? or is that just normal curiosity?

* oops it wasnt on page 4 on the AET as it happens, it was just page 4 on the thread, errrr never mind :o
    I was watching snooker last night and thinking how therapeutic it must be for OCD sufferers. I find it comforting how they clear the table... especially if all the colours are on their spots once all the reds have been potted :o . I prefer if they pick off the ones from the side first though and leave the tidy ones where they are :)

I kind of agree with your point, but surely if it WAS invented by someone with OCD then the game would never have started really would it?

Imagine the horror of seeing all those reds being broken up and moved from their ever so neat positions on the table :eek:
  • I was watching snooker last night and thinking how therapeutic it must be for OCD sufferers. I find it comforting how they clear the table... especially if all the colours are on their spots once all the reds have been potted :o . I prefer if they pick off the ones from the side first though and leave the tidy ones where they are :)

I keep talking about curling :confused: but I think that may have been started by someone that has OCD. Have you seen the way they buff that floor?

Clean it! clean it! Scrub that floor!
  • I am all about routines!
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
  • good lord where do i start?
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • V VV V Posts: 5,191
    good lord where do i start?

hahahaha awwww booby ju are perfect XX

what is the oposite to OCD ? cos thats me :p
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • V V wrote:

what is the oposite to OCD ? cos thats me :p

purrfect. ;) that ju alright! ;)
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • I kind of agree with your point, but surely if it WAS invented by someone with OCD then the game would never have started really would it?

Imagine the horror of seeing all those reds being broken up and moved from their ever so neat positions on the table :eek:
    yep, horror, quickly followed by the orgasmic pleasure of clearing them off one by one until the climactic ending beginning with pocketing the yellow :)

Hmmm... :o oh dear, I really must stop watching snooker :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • V VV V Posts: 5,191
    yep, horror, quickly followed by the orgasmic pleasure of clearing them off one by one until the climactic ending beginning with pocketing the yellow :)

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • V V wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    :o is it wrong that snooker turns me on? :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    :o is it wrong that snooker turns me on? :eek:

not so much wrong.....................well err yeah actually it is wrong!!

mind you the way those players control that man with the gloves on to buff their balls at their pleasure is somewhat alluring :)