Boston Red Sox

Comments

• stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    jimed14 wrote:
    chants from the folks left in Colorado right now ...

"Don't sign ... A - Rod " ... clap clap ... clap clap clap

and ..

RE-SIGN LOWELL ... RE-SIGN LOWELL

i hope that's what they do. Theo seemed pretty confident in re-signing Lowell during an interview.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Congrats! To Me!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• congrats red sox fans! well deserved. :)
  • Let the Golden Age continue.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    hail to the men of october!
  • jojojojo Posts: 645
    jimed14 wrote:
    chants from the folks left in Colorado right now ...

"Don't sign ... A - Rod " ... clap clap ... clap clap clap

and ..

RE-SIGN LOWELL ... RE-SIGN LOWELL

yea that was some funny shit
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    jojo wrote:
    yea that was some funny shit

Classy team :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
    meme wrote:
    Classy team :)

it wasn't the team it was the crowd at the stadium
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    jimed14 wrote:

oh, and when did FSNE become Comcast sports new england?
    Just a couple of weeks ago.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    jojo wrote:
    No...it's the Red Sox Nation crowd in general (note I said general not everyone in RSN is), the most outwardly racist and sexist fan community in American sports this side of the University of Mississippi and the media loves them...ugh. Anyway if you think the Sox are gonna resign Lowell to a 2 year deal now after him having an "MVP"-ish (he's not really close to A-Rod) regular season, and winning the World Series MVP you are crazy...and if you don't think Fox didn't orchestrate this whole thing with A-Rod not re-signing with the Yanks, and then awarding Lowell the WS MVP (.400, 1 HR, 4 RBI???) over someone who actually deserved it like Pappelbon who had 3, 1+ inning saves, you are crazy.

Here's the other thing that hasn't been considered when it comes to ARod...who says he has to take Lowell's spot? Wasn't he the best Shortstop in baseball until he went to the Yankees? How about this line up then:

1. Ellsbury
    2. Padroia
    3. Ortiz
    4. ARod
    5. Manny
    6. Youkilis
    7. Lowell
    8. Drew
    9. Veritek
    jojo wrote:

I didn't hear that. Was it rockies fans or sox fans?

Classy anyway. I take the fans to be part of the team.
    That's right, I just won a world series.
    ryan198 wrote:
    No...it's the Red Sox Nation crowd in general (note I said general not everyone in RSN is), the most outwardly racist and sexist fan community in American sports this side of the University of Mississippi and the media loves them...ugh. Anyway if you think the Sox are gonna resign Lowell to a 2 year deal now after him having an "MVP"-ish (he's not really close to A-Rod) regular season, and winning the World Series MVP you are crazy...and if you don't think Fox didn't orchestrate this whole thing with A-Rod not re-signing with the Yanks, and then awarding Lowell the WS MVP (.400, 1 HR, 4 RBI???) over someone who actually deserved it like Pappelbon who had 3, 1+ inning saves, you are crazy.

Here's the other thing that hasn't been considered when it comes to ARod...who says he has to take Lowell's spot? Wasn't he the best Shortstop in baseball until he went to the Yankees? How about this line up then:

1. Ellsbury
    2. Padroia
    3. Ortiz
    4. ARod
    5. Manny
    6. Youkilis
    7. Lowell
    8. Drew
    9. Veritek

i would love to get deeper into this at the moment but i've got a meeting to get to

but and Papelbon had 4 saves according to the stats i saw and
    granted there were SEBERAL great MVP canidates (as i said in this thread LAST NIGHT)

what's with all the HATE on RED SOX NATION

jealous much
    ryan198 wrote:

1. Ellsbury
    2. Padroia
    3. Ortiz
    4. ARod
    5. Manny
    6. Youkilis
    7. Lowell
    8. Drew
    9. Veritek
    What do you do with the remaining 3 years and 28.5 million owed to Julio Lugo Mr. GM?
    jojo wrote:
    but and Papelbon had 4 saves according to the stats i saw and
    granted there were SEBERAL great MVP canidates (as i said in this thread LAST NIGHT)
    Papelbon had 3 saves in the WS, 4 overall in the playoffs.
  • brainofjbbrainofjb Posts: 381
    what a great morning in Red Sox Nation :)

anyone going to the parade tomorrow?

LOWELL deserved MVP.
    The whole team deserves MVP but only one can get it

we have an outstanding team, full of young and amazing players
    We are gonna be great for a long time with this lineup!!!

Sox deserve this after such a great season!!!

There will probably be alot of haters on here today
    they are just jealous!
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    The Boston Red Sox World Champions....The New England Patriots on a roll it's a Beautiful Day in Beantown and around the country as U2 would say. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    The Sox played great baseball throughout the playoffs. I'm so excited, but not as much as in 2004. That being said, I tip my cap to the Colorado Rockies. They are a classy organization with a classy manager. They have a lot of young talent and are going to be a very solid team for years to come.

GOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOXXX!!!!!!!!
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    The Sox played great baseball throughout the playoffs. I'm so excited, but not as much as in 2004. That being said, I tip my cap to the Colorado Rockies. They are a classy organization with a classy manager. They have a lot of young talent and are going to be a very solid team for years to come.

GOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOXXX!!!!!!!!

Here's what Buster Olney wrote about the Sox today on ESPN:

Red Sox built to last
    posted: Monday, October 29, 2007

Babe Ruth was the ace of the staff the last time the Red Sox won a second consecutive World Series, in 1916. Larry Gardner led the team with 62 RBIs, and Boston accumulated 14 homers in 156 games.

Set aside your fandom for a moment and try to think of a really good reason -- other than injuries -- why Boston shouldn't be considered favorites to match the feat of the 1915-1916 Red Sox.

You want starting pitching? They bring back Josh Beckett, Daisuke Matsuka (who is, at worst, a solid innings-eater and may well be much more than that in his second full season), Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz. They do have a need for a veteran pitcher, and are expected to make an attempt to retain Curt Schilling.

Bullpen? Jonathan Papelbon is among the best closers in the game, and might be the best. There is an excellent core of options in middle relief, from Hideki Okajima to Manny Delcarmen and, in all likelihood, Mike Timlin.

David Ortiz, the anchor of the lineup, isn't going anywhere at age 32, and this year, amid physical problems, he merely hit .332 with 35 homers and 117 RBIs. Manny Ramirez is under contract for another year, and in keeping with an annual tradition, the Red Sox will probably gauge his trade value and then keep him. Kevin Youkilis will either be their first baseman or third baseman, and second baseman Dustin Pedroia will be back. So will catcher Jason Varitek. Jacoby Ellsbury presumably will be installed as the everyday center fielder, with Coco Crisp perhaps being traded away.

The Red Sox have stability, with a solid ownership and general manager Theo Epstein, and manager Terry Francona and his staff.

All of the young players will be hardened and shaped by this postseason success. Losing was the culture for the Red Sox for more than eight decades. But now, Boston plays with a expectation -- as the Celtics once did, as the Yankees did in the late '90s, as the Patriots do now -- that it is going to win every game.

Oh, sure, the Red Sox have some decisions to make. They will weigh their third base options and decide whether to re-sign Mike Lowell, who fits the Red Sox perfectly (He would fit any team perfectly, with his drive and his unselfishness). They may or may not pursue Alex Rodriguez; the guess here is that they will not. Schilling may not be back.

But the Red Sox will be the team to beat next year, as they were this October.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    Can't wait for Spring Training next year I'll be there for sure. If we can't sign Lowell I just hope he doesn't end up with the Yankees who will over pay just to get him.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

What time and place is the parade tomorrow?
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I'm thrilled they won.
    I think they will even be better next year. Sign Lowell.

I am also happy that it is finally over.
    With spring training and the post season you are looking at 8 months.
    I'm really looking forward to the break.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    question for Red Sox fans - what do you think of Francona? Is he a great manager or a guy who has done a good job of getting out of the way and letting the talent win? with 2 series titles do you put him in the Torre, La Russa level of managers or just a guy who was in the right place at the right time? As a Phillies fan I'm intrigued to hear your answers since we ran him out of this town. Personally he did a terrible job here, but it was different circumstances and different time. Love to hear what the people who watch him all the time truly think of him.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    pjhawks wrote:
    question for Red Sox fans - what do you think of Francona? Is he a great manager or a guy who has done a good job of getting out of the way and letting the talent win? with 2 series titles do you put him in the Torre, La Russa level of managers or just a guy who was in the right place at the right time? As a Phillies fan I'm intrigued to hear your answers since we ran him out of this town. Personally he did a terrible job here, but it was different circumstances and different time. Love to hear what the people who watch him all the time truly think of him.

I have the mlb package and have seen him when he managed both in Philly and in Boston. He is really loyal to his guys and never blames anyone for a mistake. He also keeps everything in house and protects his players from the media. In the regular season, he sometimes leaves pitchers in one or two too many batters to see what they're made of and that can be excruciating at times to watch. But in the post season, he rarely if ever left anyone in too long. He is just very laid back and has his team convinced to play at a one game at a time mentality. He managed the same way in Philly for the most part, but just didn't have the talent. Good players make managers look great and bad players make managers look bad.

That said, he is the ideal manager for the Red Sox. He's just very even keeled and keeps them focused on the game at hand instead of what the media is saying or what the fans are clamoring about. I think strategy wise he's an average to slightly above average manager, but in team dynamics and dealing with issues off the field he is one of the best and that's what you need to win in a big high pressure media market.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    Solat13 wrote:
    I have the mlb package and have seen him when he managed both in Philly and in Boston. He is really loyal to his guys and never blames anyone for a mistake. He also keeps everything in house and protects his players from the media. In the regular season, he sometimes leaves pitchers in one or two too many batters to see what they're made of and that can be excruciating at times to watch. But in the post season, he rarely if ever left anyone in too long. He is just very laid back and has his team convinced to play at a one game at a time mentality. He managed the same way in Philly for the most part, but just didn't have the talent. Good players make managers look great and bad players make managers look bad.

That said, he is the ideal manager for the Red Sox. He's just very even keeled and keeps them focused on the game at hand instead of what the media is saying or what the fans are clamoring about. I think strategy wise he's an average to slightly above average manager, but in team dynamics and dealing with issues off the field he is one of the best and that's what you need to win in a big high pressure media market.

still can't get over him not playing Scott Rolen on Scott Rolen day though when he was here. what a dumb ass move that was
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    ryan198 wrote:
    No...it's the Red Sox Nation crowd in general (note I said general not everyone in RSN is), the most outwardly racist and sexist fan community in American sports this side of the University of Mississippi and the media loves them...ugh.

you can say "in general" all you want ... but this is a bold statement with no fact behind it.

you want to talk about Boston of the past ... I'll give you there are certainly some racists moments in Boston sports (and non sports) history everyone would love to forget (most notably Jackie Robinson's tryout where someone yelled from the stands "Get that ni**er off the field!" ... supposedly one of Tom Yawkey's crew, maybe even Yawkey himself)

but ... red sox fans? outwardly racist & sexist? go on ... let's hear it ... how do you justify that statement?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    Solat13 wrote:

Man, that was very good and well thought out. Not much else I can add.

Peace

pjhawks wrote:
    still can't get over him not playing Scott Rolen on Scott Rolen day though when he was here. what a dumb ass move that was

He took the hit on that and protected Rolen. But Rolen had long scheduled that as one of his off days and neither of them had checked the promotions calendar. Much like when Manny had a scheduled off day in 06 with the Red Sox OF hurt, he let the player keep his off day and dealt with the consequences.

In the Phillies case, Francona got booed for months. In the Red Sox case, Francona played Youklis in left while Manny sat smiling in the dugout.

The thing is he wouldn't let his player take the hit and instead took the bullet himself.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    jimed14 wrote:

but ... red sox fans? outwardly racist & sexist? go on ... let's hear it ... how do you justify that statement?
    Especially the sexist part...the pink hats may be well over 50% now.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Poncier wrote:
    Especially the sexist part...the pink hats may be well over 50% now.

luckily, that craze hasn't swept the west coast yet ... maybe next year when we finally overtake the amount of A's fans in attandence at the Coliseum ... (now it's about 2/5 sox fans 3/5 A's fans at every sox v a's game.)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11