What do you love/hate about your state?

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Wisconsin

Love: Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers, Wisconsin Badgers, the beer that is made here, that we almost always vote democrat, all the ski resorts, cities of Madison and Milwaukee, cheese, summerfest

Hate: Weather (this alone is enough for me to wanna move), the jobs, the fact that so many yuppie illiniois people own land here, our poor tourist attractions
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Well I live in Jersey, so it’s nice to be close to a lot of places PJ plays – I can literally drive 2 hours and be in NY, less than an hour to both AC and Philly. I work in Philly, so I get the best of both worlds, in my opinion

Oh and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my (yes, MY) PHILLIES!!!
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    love: the foliage, the proximity to so many major cities, the four seasons (though winter could be shorter), yuengling, tastycakes, old forge pizza, cheesesteaks, the passion of philadelphia sports fans

hate: the passion of philadelphia sports fans, lack of an ocean....hmm, i think that's it. i love it here.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    Love: very little other than my job, the lack of a state tax and the fact that you can get a drink 24 hours a day :p. Oh yeah, and PJ come here because their manager likes it.

Hate: the Hell we call summer, the congestion, the dust, the wind, the people who move here and bitch about all the people moving here and the superficiality of this town.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • that mine is next to jersey, gross
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • I don't really hate anything about MA. I am disliking how the weather in the winter seems to get warmer and warmer every year. I miss the freezing cold and snow :(.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    love all the sports teams i have to cheer for ,the beaches are very nice ...

hate the traffic ,the long island mentallity,the over priced everything ,taxes suck .........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • love: the fact that dudes pump my gas for me, tastykake & cheesesteak availability :D, the fact that it's a pretty left-leaning state, close proximity to the ocean as well as many major cities, the fact that it's so densely populated and

hate: the way everyone around here pronounces "water" (grrr), the way douchebags (;)) from other states think they have license to make jokes about it :D, the fact that people here tell me that I have an accent (ha!), the cost of car insurance, the fact that i'm in the Eastern time zone now, and Conan comes on so late!!!, the way people drive
  • love: having my family and friends here, the weather, living close to SF and access to great museums and restaurants, and easy access to natural beauty

hate: that it costs so damn much to live here. and that the earth can open up and swallow me at any second. oh well lol

*edit* whoops forgot to say i'm in california!
  • I love the topography of my province and I hate all the Oil Barons
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • tNevada

Love: No freezing ass cold weather. No personal income tax.Moutains!Moutains! Moutains! Closeness to Bay area and just a one hour flight to
    LA. Not having to drive 2+ hours to a major airport. No humidity in the summer (the humidity will kill ya,I tell you....). Getting to see the christian right squirm about legalized prostitution. Getting to talk to prositutes (sorry guys,no girl on girl stuff here). A wide varity of good restraunts. Trader Joes and soon a Whole Foods.Living in a city that is mentioned in one of the best Jonhny Cash songs.

Bad: No extra state income tax refund next year. Not being close to two of my best friends in the whole world.Hotter than a mofo in the summer (100+ temps for two weeks on end last summer). Not having any real close friends ,that I don't work with.Working in a bigger televsion market(boss is ALOT more critical of my work).Seeing what above and below nuclear testing does to a landscape (yea I know it was a desert,but still.....)
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    I Love Texas Because We Have Everything From Oceans, Mountains, Lakes, Prairies, & Deserts..

I Hate The Damn Weather...
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Wisconsin

Love: Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers, Wisconsin Badgers, the beer that is made here, that we almost always vote democrat, all the ski resorts, cities of Madison and Milwaukee, cheese, summerfest

Hate: Weather (this alone is enough for me to wanna move), the jobs, the fact that so many yuppie illiniois people own land here, our poor tourist attractions
    I agree about the dell's totaly.And I knew of several people from Ill. that own land around Lake Geneva.So your right on on several things....
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    shell bell wrote:
    I agree about the dell's totaly.And I knew of several people from Ill. that own land around Lake Geneva.So your right on on several things....

Some things in the dells are alright, I like the waterparks but the tourist traps there are outrageous.........have you seen the ufo and sci fi museum, corny maze, or wonder spot? They also promote crap like outlet malls, gambling, etc. which disgusts me even more.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • MICHIGAN:
    Love: Lake Michigan, The Summer, Fall and Spring, The Winter for about the first three weeks of it, The U.P. The people.
    Hate: Hate is a strong word but I start getting tired of Winter after the first three weeks or so. Every now and then there will be a really beautiful snow in the middle of winter and it reminds me even more why I love Michigan.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Maryland

Love: My twin lives here
    Hate: It's not part of the North. I'm still with the north/south mindset ever since learning about the civil war in school. There's a lot of good things down here, but that distinction will always be in my mind. Also, summers are very hot and humid. The run from late May until mid October.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Georgia-

I hate that you can't buy beer in stores on Sunday. In polls recently more then 75% of those polled think we should be able to, but this is an election year and the Republicans in office are pushing it off and do not want ot to be a votable issue so they don't have to worry about upsetting their base support.

I hate the traffic in atlanta. It is some of the worst in the country on par with LA & Houston. I can't live in the part of town i want to live in because it is too far from my work and i'd spend over 2 hours a day commuting and god help me if their was an accident it would be even more.

I hate GA because Pearl Jam has not played here in 5 years now.

I like GA because we are close to the mountains in Atlanta and the city is a hub in the south for most touring bands. Most bands play atlanta and if they don't they usually at least hit athens which is close.

Speaking of bands a nice little metal scene going with Mastodon, Baroness, Kylesa and some others.

Also we have some DAMN GOOD BBQ! Fat Matt's Rib Shack to name one but there are many good places to get BBQ pork and ribs :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ohio (home state)

love: ohio state football
    hate: ignorant christian rednecks

illinois (current residence)

love: chicago in summer, cool concerts, cta, indie book/cd shops
    hate: high sales tax, terrible winter
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    MISSOURI

Pros: Geographically convenient (middle of the US), two major cities (St. Louis and Kansas City), we get all four seasons which I like, most of my family lives here as well.

Cons: Big meth problem (I think we're still leading the nation in meth lab busts), bad highways (though those have been improving), a lot of bands skip MO and play Chicago as their 'token' Midwestern date, not near any oceans.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • zircona1 wrote:
    MISSOURI

Pros: Geographically convenient (middle of the US), two major cities (St. Louis and Kansas City), we get all four seasons which I like, most of my family lives here as well.

Cons: Big meth problem (I think we're still leading the nation in meth lab busts), bad highways (though those have been improving), a lot of bands skip MO and play Chicago as their 'token' Midwestern date, not near any oceans.

I always thought a missouri was a fish sandwich from Jack in the Box that no one ordered.
    ;)
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    new jersey

like: 45 min from new york, 45 min from shore, 20 minutes away from at least 5 malls, bruce springsteen, taylor ham, dont have to pump own gas, best diners in the country, pnc bank arts center

dont like: the bad reputation, the high population.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    new jersey

like: 45 min from new york, 45 min from shore, 20 minutes away from at least 5 malls, bruce springsteen, taylor ham, dont have to pump own gas, best diners in the country, pnc bank arts center

dont like: the bad reputation, the high population.
    ohmygawd! The diners! The malls! The highways! Now, that's living! I grew up in Bergen County.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • New Jersey:
    Love: Close to the mountains, a few major cities, and the beach; it's a liberal state; lot's of good colleges and universities in the area; never had to pump my own gas; the shopping :D, always so much to do

Hate: The humidity in the summer and the cold in the winter, the jersey turnpike :mad:, traffic in general
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
    New Jersey:
    Love: Close to the mountains, a few major cities, and the beach; it's a liberal state; lot's of good colleges and universities in the area; never had to pump my own gas; the shopping :D, always so much to do

Hate: The humidity in the summer and the cold in the winter, the jersey turnpike :mad:, traffic in general

the turnpike is awesome! you can fly down it!
  • the turnpike is awesome! you can fly down it!
    True - but it's ugly! :p In comparison to the PA turnpike it's an eyesore!
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • moxiemoxie Posts: 80
    I love everything about my state. It's gorgeous. It's got the mountains on one side, and the beach on the other. It's also got a rich history.
    I have dogs instead of children... I'd rather ruin my carpet than my life.
    True - but it's ugly! :p In comparison to the PA turnpike it's an eyesore!

haha youre right. jersey's still the best though!
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    love: mariners, seahawks, huskies, sonics, redhawks, zags, sounders, thunderbirds

hate: cougars
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    shell bell wrote:
    Nevada
    Hotter than a mofo in the summer (100+ temps for two weeks on end last summer).

In Vegas, we call 100 degrees a "break" :p. I love Northern Nevada!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • new york state....where do i begin?

love: i'm centrally located (syracuse) in the state, so if i have to go to plattsburgh, or nyc it'll only take me a few hours, instead of several if i lived in, say, buffalo. love SU sports, and get to as many games as i possibly can (season ticket holder for football). a lot of people say there's not a lot to do around central new york, so they move...but they're clueless. there's plenty to do. in the summer, there are millions (and i'm not exagerating) of places to go boating, fishing, swimming, camping, hiking, all that shit. we have some decent acts come through here for concerts. the state fair, although it's going downhill (in my eyes, at least) the past couple years. can't buy cigs or smoke outdoors there anymore. there's an imax screen at the MOST downtown, so we can always catch a decent flick, whether it's a movie or a documentary. canada is only a couple hours away. the summers are great. not overly hot, but mostly just about right. the colors of the leaves in the fall are amazing, especially if you go for a drive through the adirondacks during peak time. don't have to worry about hurricanes, earthquakes, or tornados (although, we've had little mini tornados hit and a small earthquake about 5 or 6 years ago).

hate: the fucking snow. i hate it with every fiber of who i am. i used to love it when i was a kid, but that was before i had to regularly shovel it, brush it off my car, and drive in it. the snowmobiling around here is fantastic and the groomed trails are endless, but that's only a perk if you have a snowmobile, which i don't and probably never will. i hate the fact that we have to take our cars to a garage to get inspected instead of a state run building made specifically for inspections. they won't tell you that you need something fixed to pass your car unless it's really needed. mechanics around here have a tendency to lie, just to get you to spend extra dollars. pisses me off. with each passing year, i hate the people that make up central new york a little more. snobbish, holier than thou, "i have all the answers" little pricks. i see a big lack of pride in community, and it's disheartening. it's not that bad where i'm at now, but i see it a lot in downtown syracuse and i fear that it will eventually migrate into the smaller towns outside of the city. i can't stand the students up at SU. arrogant cocksuckers is what they are. not every single one of them, but more than likely 99% of them are.

overall, it's not a bad place to be. i've seen far worse.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Ohio

Love- Buckeyes, Browns, Cavs, Indians, Lebron, the lake

Hate- how the lake is wasted, pollution, lack of things to do, weak major cities, reputation for being all rednecks, all the rednecks

I could go on with both, overall not a bad place to be, but not great either. Definitely planning a move once I finish school
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."