Options

UFC 79: Georges St-Pierre Vs. Matt Hughes III & Chuck Liddell Vs. Wanderlei Silva

Comments

• Options
    ReleasHReleasH Posts: 743
    oh yeah...releash, ceg says hello. she's been absent from the thread to avoid spoilers before she watches the finale. ;)

thanks for passing along the message mooks. Tell ceg hello for me. Hope she's having an extended birthday celebration bash.
  • Options
    Hey mookie . . . there are 3 episodes of "releashed" on tonight. Supposedly they are showing roger huerta v. leonard garcia, clay guida v. marcus aurelio.

I know it's not the WEC show but maybe this will make you less sour. ;)
  • Options
    ReleasH wrote:
    Hey mookie . . . there are 3 episodes of "releashed" on tonight. Supposedly they are showing roger huerta v. leonard garcia, clay guida v. marcus aurelio.

I know it's not the WEC show but maybe this will make you less sour. ;)

just woke up from a rip van winkle like sleep, so i missed those episodes. :( thanks for the thought, releash. i could understrand (edit: i meant to say "understand"...) the last time they didn't show the wec show because there was an important hockey game on, but this time it was just soccer. :confused: maybe tsn has decided not to show the events anymore. that would be a shame.

more episodes of releashed ;) to fill in for the TUF timeslot, i hope! :)
  • Options
    funny/stupid but nice editing..hehe

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/725/
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    thanks for posting that, roland. that's some funny stuff. :D i especially liked the part where the commentary switched to spanish. i'm not a big fan of john heffron's stand up, but he can certainly put together a funny video with cats. the editing and commentary is priceless! :D
  • Options
    thanks for posting that, roland. that's some funny stuff. :D i especially liked the part where the commentary switched to spanish. i'm not a big fan of john heffron's stand up, but he can certainly put together a funny video with cats. the editing and commentary is priceless! :D

the part where he's like mount! ok now he's in half guard, he needs to get his legs around and into full guard.... or something like that...

hehe ...brings my mood up to watch it. :D

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,879
    guida - huerta was an amazing fight, good thing as the TUf fight sucked. Tommy is already fighting in WEC too.

WEc had a great fight with faber the other day, he fought off the RNC half a round and came back and won the match.

Jens Pulver beat the hell out of his opponent too.
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    guida - huerta was an amazing fight, good thing as the TUf fight sucked. Tommy is already fighting in WEC too.

WEc had a great fight with faber the other day, he fought off the RNC half a round and came back and won the match.

Jens Pulver beat the hell out of his opponent too.

yeah, i was hoping to catch that on tsn here in canada, as they usually show the wec shows, but they didn't broadcast this one. we don't get versus, so i was disappointed because it looked like very good card on paper, especially before the chance farrar vs. micah miller match had to be cancelled.

i'm hoping to catch a rebroadcast at some point. so curran had faber's back for that long, eh? that's pretty impressive. that was the one i was looking forward to most. they put on some pretty good shows and it's nice to see the FW's get a chance to be seen by a larger audience.
  • Options
    hrd2imgn, thanks for prompting me to do a search on daily motion after your post! i found a few of the fights. i think a couple more were broadcast, but the main ones were posted there. sweet!
    thanks. :)

Jens Pulver Vs. Cub Swanson:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3qy4j_wec-31-jens-pulver-vs-cub-swanson_extreme

Paulo Filho Vs. Chael Sonnen:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3qy5y_wec-31-paulo-filho-vs-chael-sonnen_extreme

Urijah Faber Vs. Jeff Curran:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3qymx_wec-31-urijah-faber-vs-jeff-curran_extreme
  • Options
    *in her best Dr. Nick Riviera voice*
    HI EVERYBODY!!

so glad to be back home...

i hated being away for so long... but thanks to mookie and the super sled dogs of the canada post, i am back, and i just watched the best eff-ing UFC show ever!

what can i say? both my boys (and their respective shorts), won!! :D

and War, and Troy, and Ben too! :)

i'm happy for Matt A., but it really would have been nice to Kolosci get a win, after all his tries...

man... i had to catch up on 6 pages of this thread!! wow... the article about Roger was an eye-opener.... and some crazy news about Big John... and omg.... the Ultimate Cat Fighting had me in stiches!!! LMFAO!! (and fitting, since i had just endured a similar fight with my OWN cat moments before!! hahahah...)

so... what do you guys think about the next season of TUF?? i think it should be pretty damned funny with the Forrest and Rampage as coaches... they seem like a pretty entertaining pair... :)

anyways.... thanks again mook, for hooking a girl up with such an incredible belated birthday event.... *muah!* :p (and a happy b-day to guida too!)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    WELCOME BACK CEG!!!!!! :):D

We missed you!!
  • Options
    thanks releash! :)

man... i was thinking about the Finale on the way to work today... i've got to watch it again....

Troy's "Victory Hula" dance.... Richie kissing Troy on the forehead.... War crying because J-Rock didn't win... Clay's bizzare entrance... Huerta wanting to bring the UFC to mexico...

so many great moments... :p
  • Options
    thanks for the message, ceg. :) all of the moments you mentioned made this a really good show. i've watched it quite a few times now and it really turned out to be one of their better shows this year. the guida / huera fight alone was worth watching the show for. it's probabaly going to get nominated for fight of the year, and it would have my vote! it had takedowns, scrambles, position reversals, relentless ground and pound from clay, great kicks from roger, submission attempts, and ZERO down time during the fight. they went 100% the whole time and both guys showed great heart and conditioning. everything you could ask for in a match, in my opinion...AND the incredible comeback to finish the fight. just wow! (keeping fingers crossed for a title match between these two some day...;)) the looks on both their faces coming into the third round was intense! clay like an animal, and roger like a man on a mission!

it's very telling of clay's character that, in the post fight interview, he mentioned that he was disappointed that he forgot to pay his respect to big john by telling him it was an honour to be in his final match. it just goes to show how much he understands and practices the respect for the sport and i think he's going to have an even greater number of fans after this fight, despite the loss. neither guy is ever in a boring fight and i can't say enough good things about them both.

as far as rampage and forrest as coaches on the show, i think it's brilliant for them to have rampage there because he'll gain a whole legion of fans with his unique character and a lot of people who seemed to have had a lukewarm reception to him in the beginning will get to see his comedic side. forrest is already well known among those who watch the show and i think the strides he's made over the past couple of years will show in his coaching abilities.

the only thing that bothers me is that they're putting the title on hold for them to meet after the season like they did with serra and hughes...so we can only hope there's not another injury that prolongs the process. otherwise, i'm looking forward to it. MW's too...it will be interesting to see who gets chosen and what kind of talent comes from the show to help out the MW division.

welcome back, ceg. :) i'm still amazed you avoided spoilers! good on ya for the patience, as it paid out in the end, eh?
  • Options
    ReleasH wrote:
    hahahah ... I found this hysterical ;). Clay's hair is pretty ridiculous. Joe Rogan made a comment during their fight wondering about how Clay could see through all the hair for his punches.

i was just thinking today that it's ironic that roger finished the fight with the lion kill...the mata leão. :) clay's nickname really should be the animal, i think. :D
  • Options
    i was just thinking today that it's ironic that roger finished the fight with the lion kill...the mata leão. :) clay's nickname really should be the animal, i think. :D

http://classweb.dctc.mnscu.edu/20053/VCOM268591/BLANCCHRI/animal.gif

:)
  • Options
    MW's too...it will be interesting to see who gets chosen and what kind of talent comes from the show to help out the MW division.

welcome back, ceg. :) i'm still amazed you avoided spoilers! good on ya for the patience, as it paid out in the end, eh?

MW's? i thought Forrest and Rampage were LHW's, no??

hehe...i'm glad i avoided spoilers too! it did make for an exciting time watching last night.... you're probably lucky you didn't answer the phone, or you would've gotten an earful of excited babbling!! :D
  • Options
    MW's? i thought Forrest and Rampage were LHW's, no??

hehe...i'm glad i avoided spoilers too! it did make for an exciting time watching last night.... you're probably lucky you didn't answer the phone, or you would've gotten an earful of excited babbling!! :D

i think i must have been watching survivor, but no worrries, i would have been just as excited having watched the show again before survivor started. ;)

yeah, rampage and forrest are LHW's, but this year's cast is MW's. there was some debate about the show being for MW's or LHW's, but in the end they went with the MW's...according to all the rumour sites at least.
  • Options
    OMG I'm so happy I can finally get into this thread.

I didn't go to the show last weekend...too expensive and the biggest piss off....my freaking hotel didn't get Spike!!! So I missed the show entirely. I watched the encore tonight tho...but had to stay away from this thread cause I didn't wanna know anything going in.

Warmachine and JRock...GREAT fight! I'm surprised it wasn't stopped a few times before Warmachine got the win...he looked out at least twice.

I'm so glad Ritchie Hightower got rocked...I hate that little bitch so much!!!!!
    I blinked and almost missed George win. lol
    I was so shocked that Mac submitted Tommy...and submitted him quickly. I thought it would be a TKO or knockout victory in at least the second round. Congrats to my boy Mac tho....he was my fave and deserved that win by far! He was a machine!

That main event was pretty good too...hats off to both fighters.

Now on to TUF7. I HAAAAAAAATE Rampage soooo hard!!! He's a cocky, arrogant SOB and I want someone to knock him out sooo bad!!! I like Forrest Griffen tho, so I'll watch it for him hahaha.

I read about Joe Stephenson vs PJ Penn for the lightweight belt...HELL YES!! I LOOOOVE both fighters so I'm going to be pretty torn in this one.

Lastly soooo sad to see Big John go :( Its not going to be the same without hearing him say "lets get it on!" before a fight.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    I should totally be studying but UFC: Best of 2007 is on Spike right now. :D

They just showed the Frankie Edgar v. Tyson Griffin fight. I still can't believe he didn't tap from that leg lock Griffin had on him late in the third round.
  • Options
    same here! ...well except for the studying part ;):D

that one hurts to watch, especially when tyson gets his arm around the heel and starts putting torque on that...ouch!

study, schmudy! :D good fights are on, releash!
  • Options

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Finally figured out which fight caused that huge "murder scene" blood stain on the mat a ways back

omg...

http://mmafightvideos.blogspot.com/2007/08/ufc-74-video-renato-babalu-sobral-vs.html

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    same here! ...well except for the studying part ;):D

that one hurts to watch, especially when tyson gets his arm around the heel and starts putting torque on that...ouch!

study, schmudy! :D good fights are on, releash!
    ah, even I was cringing at the contorted angle of edgar's leg.

yes mooks good fights are much more entertaining than studying! :D;) now I am being distracted by WEC fights.

but I only have 6 more days until VACATION!!! not that I am counting or anything.
  • Options
    5 more days...:D

enjoy the well deserved vacation, releash!
  • Options
    Finally figured out which fight caused that huge "murder scene" blood stain on the mat a ways back

omg...

http://mmafightvideos.blogspot.com/2007/08/ufc-74-video-renato-babalu-sobral-vs.html

doesn't help that there was an ad for the movie "death sentence" on the mat either, eh? personally, i thought a break to check heath's cuts would have been appropriate, but instead it went on and babalu got his now infamous career ending choke...meaning ending his own career in the ufc.

messy one, indeed.
  • Options
    OMG I'm so happy I can finally get into this thread.

I didn't go to the show last weekend...too expensive and the biggest piss off....my freaking hotel didn't get Spike!!! So I missed the show entirely. I watched the encore tonight tho...but had to stay away from this thread cause I didn't wanna know anything going in.

Warmachine and JRock...GREAT fight! I'm surprised it wasn't stopped a few times before Warmachine got the win...he looked out at least twice.

I'm so glad Ritchie Hightower got rocked...I hate that little bitch so much!!!!!
    I blinked and almost missed George win. lol
    I was so shocked that Mac submitted Tommy...and submitted him quickly. I thought it would be a TKO or knockout victory in at least the second round. Congrats to my boy Mac tho....he was my fave and deserved that win by far! He was a machine!

That main event was pretty good too...hats off to both fighters.

Now on to TUF7. I HAAAAAAAATE Rampage soooo hard!!! He's a cocky, arrogant SOB and I want someone to knock him out sooo bad!!! I like Forrest Griffen tho, so I'll watch it for him hahaha.

I read about Joe Stephenson vs PJ Penn for the lightweight belt...HELL YES!! I LOOOOVE both fighters so I'm going to be pretty torn in this one.

Lastly soooo sad to see Big John go :( Its not going to be the same without hearing him say "lets get it on!" before a fight.

what's with no spike tv in the hotels!?! too raunchy i guess. :D

i'm happy to hear you finally got to see the show...you could have been there live, though...;) there were indeed some excellent fights, and i'm still watching guida vs. huerta often. i had high expectations for that one, and it's not often that one's high expectations are exceeded in a match! hats off to both guys - agreed! :)

you'll grow to love rampage, i'm sure. he's like fungus, only with more one liners and a junk yard dog chain.
  • Options
    you'll grow to love rampage, i'm sure. he's like fungus, only with more one liners and a junk yard dog chain.

LMAO! :D

ps do you EVER check your PM's?
  • Options
    speaking of missing big john...i hope to see him keep the commentary role at TKO shows.

also, guess who big john believes is the best fighter in the world? mais, bien sur! :D

Sat, December 15, 2007

Let's get it on ... the air
    By JOSE RODRIGUEZ, MMA

The upside for "Big" John McCarthy is that he'll be able to watch both fighters from start to finish.

Mixed martial arts' most famous third man has traded his regular spot in the Octagon for a seat on press row.

The legendary Ultimate Fighting Championship ref -- who made his debut, at UFC 2, 13 years ago and helped write the MMA rulebook -- was baptized into the world of broadcasting last night, adding colour to Mauro Ranallo's play-by-play of TKO 31: Young Guns for The Fight Network.

The 6-foot-4, 260-lb. McCarthy, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt who has a bigger fan club than many fighters, says the time was right to jump into something new.

"It was an opportunity I couldn't pass up," says McCarthy of his Fight Network deal.

The former L.A. cop, who trained under the famous Gracie banner for years, says there are many benefits to his new vantage point.

"A referee does not get to watch the fight the same way a fan does," explains McCarthy, who has reffed more than 500 scraps and 100 championship fights.

"You start off watching both fighters and as things progress, you realize, 'this guy's starting to eat it more than the other guy.' So you start watching one side of the fight more than you do the other because you're watching out for the safety of the fighter. You're not watching to see all the great shots."

McCarthy admits he's collected a lifetime of memories in his time with the UFC.

"The thing I'll remember the most is the fighters," says McCarthy. "I was lucky enough to see them in a way the fans don't. Sometimes they put on the facade of the tough guy and I was able to talk to them and see them for real. I saw the fears they had."

Though he's reffed some of the defining moments in the UFC, he points to the Clay Guida/Tyson Griffin war in Ireland and the two fights between Ontario's Sam Stout and Spencer Fisher as among the more memorable of his career.

ST. PIERRE THE BEST

"It's the lighter weight guys I enjoyed watching more than the heavier guys," he says, adding Canadian welterweight Georges St. Pierre is the best fighter on the planet in his opinion.

McCarthy, best known for his trademark "Let's Get it On" chant that kicked off nearly every major war in UFC history, says his famed battle cry was born the day he reffed his first UFC fight in March of 1994.

He remembers promoter Art Davie telling him to come up with something sexy to start the fights.

"I told Art, I got one guy standing on one side of the cage, another guy on the other and they're going to beat the hell out of each other. How about 'let's get it on,'" says McCarthy. "Art loved it and it kinda stuck."

Will anyone else be adopting McCarthy's "Let's Get it On" call to action?

"It's on the shelf," he says.

TKO 31 will be available on pay-per-view Jan. 4.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/OtherSports/2007/12/15/4725962-sun.html
  • Options
    ReleasH wrote:
    LMAO! :D

ps do you EVER check your PM's?

every few weeks, yes. :D

did you send me one that i didn't reply to, releash? seriously, sorry if i missed one. i'm not seeing any new messages showing.

my bad if i forgot to write you back. i blame all the snow for freezing my brain! :D

edit: my bad indeed! i did forget to write you back. i see the message now. reply headed your way this evening...