Options

UFC 79: Georges St-Pierre Vs. Matt Hughes III & Chuck Liddell Vs. Wanderlei Silva

167891012»

Comments

• Options

Yes, actually just like that. :D Great match, Wanderlei took it like a champion.

Funny when GSP took his pants off, the two girls beside me at the bar instantly commented pleasantly on the whole shorts thing with raised eyebrows...

heh...seems to be a universal thought process.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Aww man there's a fantasy league??? Wish I had known about it. I dunno as many of the fighters as you all do. The first 2 matches...I knew Melvin and thats it haha.

I have to say...YAY Chuck!!!! He fought soooo well! Gave me a few scares but pulled it out in a HELL of a fight!!! I knew he would let himself lose 3 in a row. He's too much of a competator for that.

Canada Represent!!!! Yay Georges!!!!! I was worried about how he'd do as he only had like a month to prepare for this fight. I'm so happy for him...he dominated that whole match...it was AWESOME to see.
    That said...I have to say I was a little disapoointed in Steve Mazagotti (sp) tonight. I thought that a) Georges shoulda lost a point for the shots to the back of the head...he was warned at least 3 times....and maybe both fighters brought back to their feet like John McCarthy likes to do. and b) Georges shoulda been warned for the punch he gave Hughes while Hughes was on his knees....and c) Matt Hughes asked Mazagotti 3 times how much time was left and Steve didn't answer him...I've seen Refs tell fighters so I thought that was a little unfair to Matt. I dunno how the rules work but I never saw Matt say I submit so I was surprised when the fight was stopped.

I don't think a) or b) had any affect on the outcome...George was so dominant that even if they had been stood up after the punches to the head George woulda still ended up on top of Matt.

The only thing is the end...I felt really bad for Matt cause I know if Matt knew there was only 8 seconds left he wouldn't have tapped...he woulda let George break his arm and came out and tried his best in the third round.

I am a Georges St.Pierre fan and am estatic. I just would have liked to have seen a cleaner fight is all.

hey ACCBootlegGoddess, i will send you an invite tomorrow so you can play in the next one. :)

i was starting to get worried about a possible point deduction with all the warnings, but the severity and intent weren't enough to warrant a point being taken away...although, as you said, it was three warnings. i think i was too caught up in georges having dominant positions i wasn't paying attention to the smaller strikes! :D it's legal to punch to a down opponent, so there was no worries on that one.

that's a good question you bring up about asking for the time. i've heard referees shout it out before, but it's usually only during nuetral action that i can recall. i'm not so sure they're allowed to tell a fighter caught in a submission how much time is left because i'd assume that would constitute influencing the outcome of the fight?

i must say i was happy about poetic justice that georges finished him with an armbar, especially. perfect! :)

edit: on second viewing i would more likely say he was saying tap, then i'm tapping at the end.
  • Options
    so, how did everyone's picks turn out? i was 8/10... :cool:

ranked 53rd in the fantasy... damn, i was so hoping for that t-shirt.... :p

edit: Mook, you took a big leap in the standings... you must've had that GSP fight dead on!! :)

hey, you failed to mention that's 53rd out of 17,873!!! :eek: that's pretty impressive, ceg. congrats!!

i had 91st, so i'll give myself a tiny pat on the back. ;)

also, i just looked at the top 20 and you were only 34 pts. away from winning a t-shirt!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    That was one of the worst PPV's I have ever paid money for. Talk about shitty fights. Other than Lidell/Silva the whole night was shit fights.

Won't be shelling out cash for a UFC PPV anytime again soon.
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    That was one of the worst PPV's I have ever paid money for. Talk about shitty fights. Other than Lidell/Silva the whole night was shit fights.

Won't be shelling out cash for a UFC PPV anytime again soon.

the sanchez and sao match was terrible, but other than that, i thought it was great. the two main matches, especially!

to each their own, eh? most people seem to be giving it rave reviews, so i'm just surprised that you thought it was that bad.

did you at least win some money? :)
  • Options
    hey ACCBootlegGoddess, i will send you an invite tomorrow so you can play in the next one. :)

i was starting to get worried about a possible point deduction with all the warnings, but the severity and intent weren't enough to warrant a point being taken away...although, as you said, it was three warnings. i think i was too caught up in georges having dominant positions i wasn't paying attention to the smaller strikes! :D it's legal to punch to a down opponent, so there was no worries on that one.

that's a good question you bring up about asking for the time. i've heard referees shout it out before, but it's usually only during nuetral action that i can recall. i'm not so sure they're allowed to tell a fighter caught in a submission how much time is left because i'd assume that would constitute influencing the outcome of the fight?

i must say i was happy about poetic justice that georges finished him with an armbar, especially. perfect! :)

Matt was on his knees. I thought it was illegal to hit an opponant if he's on his knees because he's in an unstable position or something. Perhaps I was misinformed.
    Poetic Justice it is! I love it!

Ohh thanks for the invite :D
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Matt was on his knees. I thought it was illegal to hit an opponant if he's on his knees because he's in an unstable position or something. Perhaps I was misinformed.
    Poetic Justice it is! I love it!

Ohh thanks for the invite :D

only when we're talking knees or kicks. punches, elbows and shoulder strikes are legal. you can only knee or kick to the body when the fighter has at least one point down.

no worries on the invite. it was fun tonight, so it will be an added bonus for the shows. :) i forgot, though, that i need your email address to send you the invite, so if you want to pm me, i can do it up!

edit: after watching the fight again, i clued in that you were talking about the knees georges threw to matt's chest in the second. those are legal. anything from the neck up is not, so he is free to throw a knee or kick to the chest, stomach, arms, shoulders, or legs in that position.
  • Options
    releash is going to lose it for the last two matches! i'm looking forward to hearing her thoughts on the show. that was a tough one to miss live.
  • Options
    complete results...i thought a lister submission was a 100%, but somehow it got to a decision...

Main Card:

Georges St-Pierre Vs. Matt Hughes III - Georges St-Pierre wins by submission (arm bar), 4:54, 2nd round.
    Wanderlei Silva Vs. Chuck Liddell - Chuck Liddell wins by unanimous decision.
    Eddie Sanchez Vs. Soa Palalei - Eddie Sanchez wins by TKO, 3:24, 3rd round.
    Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou Vs. Lyoto Machida - Lyoto Machida wins by submission (arm triangle choke), 4:20, 2nd round.
    Rich Clementi Vs. Melvin Guillard - Rich Clementi wins by submission (rear naked choke), 4:40, 1st round.

Pre-lims:

James Irvin Vs. Luis Cane - James Irvin wins by DQ, 1:51, 1st round.
    Nate Mohr Vs. Manny Gamburyan - Manny Gamburyan wins by submission (ankle lock), 1:31, 1st round.
    Tony DeSouza Vs. Roan Carneiro - Roan Carneiro wins by TKO, 3:33, 2nd round.
    Dean Lister Vs. Jordan Radev - Dean Lister wins by unanimous decision.
    Doug Evans Vs. Mark Bocek - Mark Bocek wins by unanimous decision.
  • Options

Niiice. Yes. You could see the look of disappointment on Huges face immediately after round one. He looked deflated and worried, and I'm sure he knew he was going to lose at that point.

Can't wait to see the Serra rematch. Hope it's soon.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    GSP, Liddell win big at UFC 79
    Saturday, December 29, 2007
    THE CANADIAN PRESS

LAS VEGAS -- Canadian Georges St. Pierre dominated Matt Hughes to win their rubber match and the UFC interim welterweight title Saturday night at UFC 79: Nemesis.

The 26-year-old from Montrealer won in style, ending the bout with a slick move, taking Hughes down with a nifty judo throw and then slapping on an armbar. Hughes (43-6) submitted verbally at 4:54 of the second round.

St. Pierre (15-2) will now meet Matt Serra to decide the 170-pound title for good in 2008. If Serra recovers from a back injury, the fight could take place April 19 in Montreal in the UFC's debut north of the border.

In the co-main event, Chuck (The Iceman) Liddell outslugged Wanderlei (The Axe Murderer) Silva to win their light-heavyweight showdown by unanimous decision.

It was a no-holds-barred, not-for-the-weak-of-heart bloody battle and it did not disappoint. Two judges scored it 30-27 for Liddell while the third had it 29-28.

Hughes submitted St. Pierre at UFC 50 in October 2004 to win the vacant title. St. Pierre took it away from him in November 2006 at UFC 65, only to lose to Serra in a shocking upset in his first title defence at UFC 69 in April.

St. Pierre dominated the first round this time, stuffing a Hughes takedown attempt and then taking Hughes down two minutes in. The Canadian spent the rest of the round on top, taking the mount position as the round ended. Hughes came out fighting southpaw, but it did not help.

There was another St. Pierre takedown to open the second as the Canadian continued to beat Hughes at his own wrestling game.

"No excuses here, I came in 120 per cent for this fight ... Georges was just a better fighter," Hughes said, adding he would have to think about his fighting future given the loss.

St. Pierre, who sported the fleur-de-lis on his blue trunks, matching the tattoo on his calf, celebrated by breakdancing in the middle of the ring.

Liddell (21-5) and Silva (31-8-1) came into the cage having each lost their last two fights. But after six years of waiting to see the former UFC and Pride champions go at it, the soldout crowd at the Mandalay Bay Events Center was still hungry for the fight.

The fight started slowly but Liddell made contact at the two-minute mark, backing Silva into the cage with a flurry of punches that took a toll. Later in the round, Liddell started connecting again but this time caught some counter-punches in return from the shorter, stockier Brazilian.

Silva was bleeding from his ear in a second round that was more of the same. Liddell fell, but it was a slip and he quickly got up. But a punch seemed to sent him down soon after, although once again he got up without delay. Silva was cut in the round and almost went down when he absorbed a huge right late in the round.

Liddell changed things up by taking Silva down to open the third round. He also pulled out a spinning back fist before tagging Silva midway through the round and punishing him with one blow after another on the fence. Somehow a battered Silva survived.

The Iceman took Silva down as the fight ended, then raised his arms in victory.

Liddell earned a purse of US$500,000 while Silva picked up $150,000, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Those figures do not take into account any contract bonuses from the UFC, which does not disclose such details.

Hughes' purse was $100,000 compared to $80,000 for St. Pierre with both fighters doubling their pay in event of a win. There were no win bonuses for Liddell or Silva, according to the commission.

Earlier, unbeaten Brazilian Lyoto Machida put on a show in spoiling Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou's UFC debut by submitting the highly touted light-heavyweight from Cameroon.

The 23-year-old Sokoudjou, who came out wearing a mask from the "Predator" movies, earned a reputation on the Pride circuit where he demolished Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in 23 seconds and Ricardo Arona in 1:59.

But Machida (12-0 and 4-0 in the UFC) schooled him, dominating him on the ground, before winning by arm triangle at 4:20 of the second round. Sokoudjou fell to 4-2.

Machida, 29, came into the fight having already beaten B.J. Penn, Rich Franklin and Stephan Bonnar. He leaves deserving consideration for a title shot.

Machida earned a purse of $60,000, including a $30,000 win bonus, while Sokoudjou collected $40,000.

Earlier Toronto lightweight Mark Bocek (5-1) notched his first UFC win, scoring a unanimous decision over Doug Evans.

There was bad blood after lightweight Rich (No Love) Clementi choked out Melvin (The Young Assassin) Guillard at 4:40 of the first round. The two fighters had trash-talked prior to the bout and Clementi rubbed in his win by standing over Guillard after the tapout as if trumpeting his win.

Guillard, who had not fought since April after a positive cocaine test, had to be held back by referee Herb Dean and others.

In other preliminary bouts, Manny (The Anvil) Gamburyan made short work of Nate Mohr, ending the fight via an ankle lock that left Mohr screaming in pain as he tapped out at 1:33 of the first round. It was the first outing for Gamburyan since losing to Nate Diaz in the finale of Season 5 of "The Ultimate Fighter" when he separated a shoulder.

There was pain too for James (The Sandman) Irvin who was stunned by an illegal knee to the head when he was down from Brazilian Luis (Banha) Cane during the first round. Cane had a point deducted by referee Steve Mazzagatti and was disqualified when Irvin, who had trouble getting to his feet, was unable to continue. The hard-hitting fight, which had drawn oohs and aahs from the crowd, was called at 1:51 of the first round.

Cane, making a hash of his UFC debut, tried to apologize for his error but got nothing but boos in return.

A dazed Irvin, who also needed help getting back to the dressing room, lost his last bout when he suffered torn knee ligaments against Thiago Silva in May at UFC 71. The hard-luck fighter was out seven months from the ensuing surgery.

Heavyweight Eddie (The Manic Hispanic) Sanchez pounded out a TKO over UFC newcomer Soa Palelei at 3:24 of the third round. Middleweight Dean (The Boogeyman) Lister won a unanimous decision over Jordan Radev in a fight that fizzled. And welterweight Roan Carneiro pounded out a TKO over Tony DeSouza at 3:33 of the second round.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2007/12/29/ufc79_results/
  • Options
    I think I set a record for the worst picks ever. LOL
  • Options
    GSP looked like the best pound for pound fighter ever last night. Total domination.
  • Options
    Dude....those guys are getting PAID.

Even with taxes...party at GSP's house...

Silva's prolly got a living room full of half naked biatches right now.

:D

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    georges also got 50,000$ for submission of the night, chuck and wanderlei each got an extra 50,000$ for fight of the night, and eddie sanchez got 50,000$ for knockout of the night (by default i guess).

good to see more of the money making it's way to the fighters, although there are still some guys who put on exciting fights who aren't making what some would consider proper comepensation for the shows they put on. it's surprising to see some of the guys' names who are still making roughly 10,000$ a fight, despite having put some time in and having picked up some wins. still, it's good to see the bonuses increasing as fast as they are. it can certainly be some added incentive when as much as 50,000$ could be on the line in your match.
  • Options
    hey, have you guys seen the show on Much Music called "Robin Black: Cage Fighter"?

it's pretty funny... this glam-rock guy from Toronto starts training to become an MMA fighter... the episode i just watched had him training with GSP... nice! :)

http://axs.muchmusic.com/?fr_story=8dfe166902b5623ae2f95a7397f0156a821a3157&rf=sitemap
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    hey, have you guys seen the show on Much Music called "Robin Black: Cage Fighter"?

it's pretty funny... this glam-rock guy from Toronto starts training to become an MMA fighter... the episode i just watched had him training with GSP... nice! :)

http://axs.muchmusic.com/?fr_story=8dfe166902b5623ae2f95a7397f0156a821a3157&rf=sitemap

ceg, i couldn't believe this when i happened upon it the other day. the guys he was getting to train with...mark hominick, sam stout, gsp...that's nuts!

he actually looked pretty good at his bjj for a beginner and while the show is, i'm pretty sure, mainly to get promotion for his music, he seemed to be taking it seriously and working pretty hard. i forget what georges said at the beginning of the training session, but i remember i couldn't stop laughing. georges worked him over pretty good.

his girlfriend seemed pretty supportive, eh? :D
  • Options
    I think I set a record for the worst picks ever. LOL

i think we all did well at the fantasy league picks. where'd you place, lbc? you must have been right up there, you were just behind me. if we were all in the top 100 range (except j's friend...sorry, j :() then that's pretty cool!

just remember to not pick hughes against georges if they ever fight again! :D i've watched the fight a few times now and i really can't get over how similar it was to the fights he used to have in tko in quebec...complete with slams to the mat with the chest like he used to do, and break dancing! haha it almost reminded me of a veteran facing a promising fighter with some things to learn in the game...only georges looked like the veteran in this case.
  • Options
    Yarennoka is staring right now on HDnets for anyone who has the channel...live from Saitama Super Arena in Tokyo, Japan. a lot of very good fighters on the card, but a couple of the original bouts they announced that were the most interesting didn't come to fruition. still, there are a few that could be very entertaining. the middle part of the card is the best, and this would be a nice dessert after saturday night if i had the channel...but i'll still laugh myself silly if i hear fedor loses to hong man choi. :D

Hong Man Choi Vs. Fedor Emelianenko
    Shinya Aoki Vs. Bu-Kyung Jung
    Hidehiko Hasegawa Vs. Hayato “Mach” Sakurai
    Yoshihiro Akiyama Vs. Kazuo Misaki
    Mitsuhiro Ishida Vs. Gilbert Melendez
    Murilo Bustamante Vs. Makoto Takimoto
    Luiz Aaeredo Vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
    Mike Russow Vs. Roman Zensov
  • Options
    ishida just beat melendez! sounds like it was an excellent fight. "el nino"'s first loss and a big win for ishida.
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    GSP v. Hughes: MATT HUGHES- wins in 3rd by RNC(after getting his ass kicked for 2 previous rounds by GSP) WRONG
    Liddell v. Silva: SILVA by one big ass kick to Lidell's head WRONG
    Sokoudjou v. Machida: Sok- by arm bar WRONG
    Clementi v. Guillard: melvin by superman punch knock out WRONG
    Sanchez v. Palalei: Palalei by decision
    Irvin v. Cane: Irvin by decision
    Mohr v. Gamburyan: Manny by ref stoppage SORT OF RIGHT
    Desouza v. Carneiro: Carneiro by tko
    Lister v. Radev: Lister by submission
    Evans v. Bocek: Evans by knockout

yeah what a shitty PPV

ok, i understand now, upon review, why you didn't enjoy the PPV. sorry about the loss of $. :(
  • Options
    ReleasHReleasH Posts: 743
    releash is going to lose it for the last two matches! i'm looking forward to hearing her thoughts on the show. that was a tough one to miss live.

I am so excited that GSP and Liddell won!!! Unfortunately I still haven't gotten to see the fights due to an ongoing dispute with Comcast. :( It's a long story but after a week, I couldn't hold any longer to see who won. I can't believe I had the will power to stay out of the thread while I tried to get the event. But from all your comments it sounds like I missed an awesome showing from GSP (VAS Y GSP) and a redeeming fight from Chuck. I missed you guys though and am glad to be back!!

I'm definitely in for the fantasy league next time. Congrats on some ass kicking picks Ceg!!! I'll try to give you a run for your money next time! ;) I ended up 8/10 on my picks.