Options

UFC 79: Georges St-Pierre Vs. Matt Hughes III & Chuck Liddell Vs. Wanderlei Silva

Comments

• Options
    ok, I'm a believer now :D

I was actually getting ready to say that if he goes through the second round dominating the control, but without really any damage to Matt, how would GSP's mental state be? ... but nevermind, lol
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    wow! what an impressive performance. i would have to say there is little doubt now that georges is one of the very few mixed martial artists who can take the fight to virtually any position and play the other fighters game to win and at times dominate. he dominated that second and i loved the armbar finish!

i'm out of my mind over here!

...and you guys won't believe this, but i was just saying to my friend jason here that i think georges will not acept the belt as the true championship belt, and that he would pay respect to matt serra as the champion. not kidding! nostra damus, i am. ;)

man, what a night. beautiful win by georges! congrats GSP!
  • Options
    nice, manny's fight coming up. :)

still...wow, georges....:)
  • Options
    GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP!

awesome fight... that last takedown was incredible!! i'm sorry the armbar wasn't a "flying" one, for you mookie, but a regular one will do in this case!! :D

i can't wait to see Georges and Serra fight next! in Montreal!! it's gotta happen!! *crosses fingers*

so mookie, are the fans out shouting random letters in the street yet?? :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    so, how did everyone's picks turn out? i was 8/10... :cool:

ranked 53rd in the fantasy... damn, i was so hoping for that t-shirt.... :p

edit: Mook, you took a big leap in the standings... you must've had that GSP fight dead on!! :)
  • Options
    ok, I'm a believer now :D

I was actually getting ready to say that if he goes through the second round dominating the control, but without really any damage to Matt, how would GSP's mental state be? ... but nevermind, lol

i was so impressed with the mount he took while feigning kimura, then the judo toss into side control. pretty dominating second round! not the fight i expected at all. i had a feeling georges might shoot right away and put him on his back, but it was standing for a bit. the takedowns were nice...more power than technique...and the slamming technique he used with his body arched up and slamming matt on his back is something used to do in the TKO organization in quebec. the announcers used to say..."is that even legal?!?!" :D old school st-pierre!

happy you are on board with the believers, beachdweller. ;):D
  • Options
    GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP!

awesome fight... that last takedown was incredible!! i'm sorry the armbar wasn't a "flying" one, for you mookie, but a regular one will do in this case!! :D

i can't wait to see Georges and Serra fight next! in Montreal!! it's gotta happen!! *crosses fingers*

so mookie, are the fans out shouting random letters in the street yet?? :D

it's a monsoon out there so nobody's out! me and my friend are keeping the neighbours up with the gsp chant! :D

(too bad i picked tko in the second round, but still got a couple parts right;))

i think i see that you are the leader in points, ceg...could it be that you had last minute secret info!?!?! :D
  • Options
    also, i'm happy to see that Georges has taken some "fashion" advice from my friend Roger, and got himself a pair of Huerta Shorts of his own!! ;):D

(although, it did look like GSP had one too many spray tans.... :o)
  • Options
    so, how did everyone's picks turn out? i was 8/10... :cool:

ranked 53rd in the fantasy... damn, i was so hoping for that t-shirt.... :p

edit: Mook, you took a big leap in the standings... you must've had that GSP fight dead on!! :)

i think i got winner, time and round right, but missd the method. damn! should have picked the armbar!!! :D

edit: got the time wrong too...so only two parts right...still should have known to pick the armbar!
  • Options
    it's a monsoon out there so nobody's out! me and my friend are keeping the neighbours up with the gsp chant! :D

(too bad i picked tko in the second round, but still got a couple parts right;))

i think i see that you are the leader in points, ceg...could it be that you had last minute secret info!?!?! :D

well, i'm glad you're "waking up the neighbours"!! (a little more canadiana for you! ;))

awww, shucks.... call it beginner's luck... ;)
  • Options
    GSP Armbar™

Get's the job done...

:D

Liddel Wanderlei...rockem sockem goodness.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    well, i'm glad you're "waking up the neighbours"!! (a little more canadiana for you! ;))

awww, shucks.... call it beginner's luck... ;)

heck no, you know what's up with the picks! :D

man, i can't believe georges won the fight in such an exciting fashion. two incredibly hyped fights and two incredible fights that lived up to that hype. seldom do you see that. rambling again...i'm still excited!

so serra vs. georges in montreal if serra is healthy. probably georges vs. someone at the top if he is not, but they did say they wanted him on the card whether he lost tonight or not. in sustaining no injuries that were apparent, he should be good to go by late april. i hope matt serra is healing up and will be ready in time for it. it would be fantastic to see that in montreal. people are going to go absolutely crazy for gsp! that show is going to be nuts! they love the mma in quebec and people from coast to coast are likely to attend...the new york area too. should be a doozie.
  • Options
    GSP Armbar™

Get's the job done...

:D

i should have gone with the amrbar and i would have had bonus points...still ceg would have beat me. :(:D

nice work on the trademark, roland. :)
  • Options

http://www.theplaymakers.com/welcome/archives/Rockem.jpg :)
  • Options
    Isn't UFC fake? Isn't that the thing with that guy undertaker?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    have to say i like the fantasy league. :) it's quick with the reulsts and gives you a nice layout at the end of how you picked and the correct results. cool stuff.

ceg, you rock! we have some catching up to do...next time...next time..:D
  • Options
    have to say i like the fantasy league. :) it's quick with the reulsts and gives you a nice layout at the end of how you picked and the correct results. cool stuff.

ceg, you rock! we have some catching up to do...next time...next time..:D

the fantasy league is awesome!! thanks for setting it up for us, mookie!! :D

now we have an official way to track our picks... i may rock for now, but wait until Releash gets back... we'll all be in trouble!! :p:)
  • Options

now we have an official way to track our picks... i may rock for now, but wait until Releash gets back... we'll all be in trouble!! :p:)

true, true, then the test will begin! ;)

i couldn't have been happier with tonight and with how the gsp fight tunred out anyway, so to have the fantasy thing going on as well just made it all the more interesting.

did anybody get bonus points for a fight? it's tough!
  • Options

hehehe.... i think Couture should change his nickname from The Natural to "Macho Man"... :)
  • Options

wrong letters, my friend. ;) you are thinking of something like WWE perhaps?
  • Options
    true, true, then the test will begin! ;)

i couldn't have been happier with tonight and with how the gsp fight tunred out anyway, so to have the fantasy thing going on as well just made it all the more interesting.

did anybody get bonus points for a fight? it's tough!

nope, my best pick was Manny by Leg Lock in the 1st round... :cool:

i wish you could see the detail of each other's picks!
  • Options
    hehehe.... i think Couture should change his nickname from The Natural to "Macho Man"... :)

speaking of, it would have been nice to have randy's commentary during the silva liddell fight. with him having trained with wanderlei and fought chuck three times, it would have been nice to hear his perspective.

also, natural still sounds good to me...:D
  • Options
    here's mine...quite jumbled...edit: i guess i'm still hyper...why did i think the check marks would transfer over...duh...

YOUR FIGHT CARD RESULTS:

Fight Card Your Choices Winning Method Round Minute Point(s)

Nate Mohr Vs Manny Gamburyan Manny Gamburyan Submission (Other) 1 4 20
    Luiz Cane Vs James Irvin Luiz Cane Knock Out 1 2 5
    Rich Clementi Vs Melvin Guillard Rich Clementi Submission (Choke) 2 1 22
    Jordan Radev Vs Dean Lister Dean Lister Submission (Choke) 1 3 15
    Roan Carneiro Vs Tony DeSouza Roan Carneiro Unanimous Decision 3 5 15
    Mark Bocek Vs Doug Evans Mark Bocek Submission (Other) 1 3 15
    Matt Hughes Vs Georges St-Pierre Georges St-Pierre Technical Knock Out 2 2 20
    Chuck Liddell Vs Wanderlei Silva Chuck Liddell Knock Out 1 5 16
    Lyoto Machida Vs Rameau Sokoudjou Rameau Sokoudjou Knock Out 1 4 1
    Soa Palelei Vs Eddie Sanchez Soa Palelei Knock Out 1 3 1

POINT SCORE: 130
  • Options
    here's mine...quite jumbled...

YOUR FIGHT CARD RESULTS:

Fight Card Your Choices Winning Method Round Minute Point(s)

Nate Mohr Vs Manny Gamburyan Manny Gamburyan Submission (Other) 1 4 20
    Luiz Cane Vs James Irvin Luiz Cane Knock Out 1 2 5
    Rich Clementi Vs Melvin Guillard Rich Clementi Submission (Choke) 2 1 22
    Jordan Radev Vs Dean Lister Dean Lister Submission (Choke) 1 3 15
    Mark Bocek Vs Doug Evans Mark Bocek Submission (Other) 1 3 15
    Matt Hughes Vs Georges St-Pierre Georges St-Pierre Technical Knock Out 2 2 20
    Chuck Liddell Vs Wanderlei Silva Chuck Liddell Knock Out 1 5 16
    Lyoto Machida Vs Rameau Sokoudjou Rameau Sokoudjou Knock Out 1 4 1
    Soa Palelei Vs Eddie Sanchez Soa Palelei Knock Out 1 3 1

POINT SCORE: 130

mine! lol! at least you got points on all your fights.... i got zilch on the Cane vs. Irvin...

Nate Mohr Vs Manny Gamburyan Manny Gamburyan Submission (Leg Lock) 1 4 27
    Luiz Cane Vs James Irvin Luiz Cane Split Decision 3 5 0
    Rich Clementi Vs Melvin Guillard Rich Clementi Technical Knock Out 1 4 21
    Jordan Radev Vs Dean Lister Dean Lister Submission (Choke) 3 2 20
    Mark Bocek Vs Doug Evans Mark Bocek Submission (Choke) 2 4 15
    Matt Hughes Vs Georges St-Pierre Georges St-Pierre Submission (Arm Lock) 3 2 22
    Chuck Liddell Vs Wanderlei Silva Chuck Liddell Split Decision 3 5 21
    Lyoto Machida Vs Rameau Sokoudjou Rameau Sokoudjou Knock Out 2 3 5
    Soa Palelei Vs Eddie Sanchez Eddie Sanchez Technical Knock Out 2 2 22

POINT SCORE: 168
  • Options
    nope, my best pick was Manny by Leg Lock in the 1st round... :cool:

i wish you could see the detail of each other's picks!

very nice! it's hard to get al four, eh?

my best was clementi by submission (choke). my longshot is the one that comes through for me! releash called the submission too. :)
  • Options
    mine! lol! at least you got points on all your fights.... i got zilch on the Cane vs. Irvin...

Nate Mohr Vs Manny Gamburyan Manny Gamburyan Submission (Leg Lock) 1 4 27
    Luiz Cane Vs James Irvin Luiz Cane Split Decision 3 5 0
    Rich Clementi Vs Melvin Guillard Rich Clementi Technical Knock Out 1 4 21
    Jordan Radev Vs Dean Lister Dean Lister Submission (Choke) 3 2 20
    Mark Bocek Vs Doug Evans Mark Bocek Submission (Choke) 2 4 15
    Matt Hughes Vs Georges St-Pierre Georges St-Pierre Submission (Arm Lock) 3 2 22
    Chuck Liddell Vs Wanderlei Silva Chuck Liddell Split Decision 3 5 21
    Lyoto Machida Vs Rameau Sokoudjou Rameau Sokoudjou Knock Out 2 3 5
    Soa Palelei Vs Eddie Sanchez Eddie Sanchez Technical Knock Out 2 2 22

POINT SCORE: 168

yeah, i know what you're saying...but how can you pick a DQ?!?! that would take some fortune telling abilities...i don't think i could bring myself to pick a dq, too tough! :D

edit: nice work with the 27!!! i looked over it again and i tied with the georges st-pierre hughes fight at 20, so two at 20. you kicked my butt for highest score! i wonder how lbc did fight by fight...hmm...:)
  • Options
    very nice! it's hard to get al four, eh?

my best was clementi by submission (choke). my longshot is the one that comes through for me! releash called the submission too. :)

i was close to all 4 on my Liddel/Silva.... i picked a Split Decision... i was actually rooting for Silva towards the end to that the fight would be even closer!! :)

ok mookie, i'm off to bed to try and sleep.... :D thanks for a fun night! hopefully one day soon we will all be able to watch an event together in person *cough*montreal*cough* ;):D
  • Options

Aww man there's a fantasy league??? Wish I had known about it. I dunno as many of the fighters as you all do. The first 2 matches...I knew Melvin and thats it haha.

I have to say...YAY Chuck!!!! He fought soooo well! Gave me a few scares but pulled it out in a HELL of a fight!!! I knew he would let himself lose 3 in a row. He's too much of a competator for that.

Canada Represent!!!! Yay Georges!!!!! I was worried about how he'd do as he only had like a month to prepare for this fight. I'm so happy for him...he dominated that whole match...it was AWESOME to see.
    That said...I have to say I was a little disapoointed in Steve Mazagotti (sp) tonight. I thought that a) Georges shoulda lost a point for the shots to the back of the head...he was warned at least 3 times....and maybe both fighters brought back to their feet like John McCarthy likes to do. and b) Georges shoulda been warned for the punch he gave Hughes while Hughes was on his knees....and c) Matt Hughes asked Mazagotti 3 times how much time was left and Steve didn't answer him...I've seen Refs tell fighters so I thought that was a little unfair to Matt. I dunno how the rules work but I never saw Matt say I submit so I was surprised when the fight was stopped.

I don't think a) or b) had any affect on the outcome...George was so dominant that even if they had been stood up after the punches to the head George woulda still ended up on top of Matt.

The only thing is the end...I felt really bad for Matt cause I know if Matt knew there was only 8 seconds left he wouldn't have tapped...he woulda let George break his arm and came out and tried his best in the third round.

I am a Georges St.Pierre fan and am estatic. I just would have liked to have seen a cleaner fight is all.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    i was close to all 4 on my Liddel/Silva.... i picked a Split Decision... i was actually rooting for Silva towards the end to that the fight would be even closer!! :)

ok mookie, i'm off to bed to try and sleep.... :D thanks for a fun night! hopefully one day soon we will all be able to watch an event together in person *cough*montreal*cough* ;):D

indeed! montreal!!! :)

great night tonight, so try to have a good rest. i'm too excited to watch the show again.

also, you may be the only person other than the guy who does pre-fight predictions for mmaweekly that picked a decision in the liddell silva fight!...just so you know you're probabaly in about the top 1 % or so for picking any kind of decision!

i must say too that i earned a lot of respect for both chuck and wanderlei tonight too. both guys came to fight like they always said they would. years of waiting for the fight and it's not a letdown...that's an accomplishment to live up to so much hype, talk and speculation about what a great fight it would be.