Do you get tan or sunburn?

stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm half Polish, half Irish and I need to ask for a raise for all the sunblock I have to wear in the summer.

I'm in the midst of one of the most painful sunburns of my life, I was in the water helping my bro-in-law put in his pier for 6 hours on Saturday and I can still barely move. It was partly cloudy all day but I should have known better and am now in hell.
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    nowadays, if i am lucky, neither. :) i try to just stay *me.* however, i do BOTH. if i am not careful, i will burn.....but i most definitely do tan afterwards. if i am good about it, i can skip the burn and slowly build up a decent tan, at least for me. however, i find neither worth it anymore....and as a child......:eek: some seriously bad burns, and sun-poisoning with a blistering burn once. horrible. and maybe 3x i've had truly fantastic tans, by almost anyone's standards. haha.

btw - sorry for your pain! :(
    definitely live and learn!

and i am 3/4 italian/sicilian...1/4 irish.....my skin tho, mostly irish i guess!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• comebackwomancomebackwoman Posts: 7,271
    I tan very easily...my skin just soaks up the sun. I was warned that I would burn in the Australian sun :rolleyes: :p Not a chance! :D I'm half Italian, a quarter Polish and a quarter German...seems to be a good combo for tanning. I know I should use sunblock anyway...and I do sometimes on my face...but not as much as I should
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    tannnn. i have the blood of italians.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I burn.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    I tan pretty easily but I try to stay out of the sun.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Mostly, I get a nice tan but I have gotten sunburned upon occasion.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    I have very pale skin, but I dont burn easily at all. I also dont tan at all :D So it takes a lot of sun to burn me.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Celtic roots and pale skin means I burn like a Lobster on the barbecue :o
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I'm the whitest woman you will ever meet, therefore, I burn :D

but not anymore, pile on the sunblock
  • londonwprlondonwpr Posts: 293
    When I was in Florida last month, I was driving back to the airport with my arm resting on the outside of the car door and it got severely burned in 2 hours. I looked ridiculous...one arm looked like I was a burn victim; the other an albino!
    7/8/95, 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/8/00, 10/21/00, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 6/24/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/20/06, 6/24/06, 6/30/06
  • myhookmyhook Posts: 284
    I start off with a small burn but tan pretty well. I have gotten a few BAD burns over the years. Skin cancer here I come. Now that I am on the beach almost every weekend I use at least 30 SPF.
    Hey, you wouldn't hire a clown to fix a leak in the jon so why do you let these hooligans tear down the biz? YEEAAHHH. I don't care if he is Mr. Notorious BIG, can he croon?
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    myhook wrote:
    I start off with a small burn but tan pretty well. I have gotten a few BAD burns over the years. Skin cancer here I come. Now that I am on the beach almost every weekend I use at least 30 SPF.
    same here...except for the beach every weekend...but outside all weekend every weekend.
  • given2fly78given2fly78 Posts: 404
    BURN baby BURN!

I sport 2 shades. Pasty and Red. One of my coworkers told me yesterday that "Women 100 years ago would kill for my shade of Pale" LOL! He meant it in such a nice way, it was cute. But still, I'm sooooo darned pale.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    if i am not careful, i will burn.....but i most definitely do tan afterwards.

and i am 3/4 italian/sicilian...1/4 irish.....my skin tho, mostly irish i guess!

that is like me 50% Italian, 25/25 Irish/German. definitely did NOT get the Italian skin :mad:

I burn, freckle, and then tan :)
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    The indigenous folks aside, everyone burns in Aussieland.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I get red first then as the summer goes on it's more tan-like.
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    I'm half Polish, half Irish and I need to ask for a raise for all the sunblock I have to wear in the summer.

I'm in the midst of one of the most painful sunburns of my life, I was in the water helping my bro-in-law put in his pier for 6 hours on Saturday and I can still barely move. It was partly cloudy all day but I should have known better and am now in hell.

Aloe-Vera. Go get some, and try not too laugh or scream from how cold it's gonna feel.

personally, I tan up nicely. Don't burn unless I'm out for like 8 hours or something.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
    Hinny wrote:
    not me :D:p
  • dawngdawng Posts: 644
    I'm a redhead w/ pale skin - and burn quickly and easily. And I've had two skin cancer spots removed thanks to all the burns as a kid.

Sorry to hear about your painful burn - been there! Aloe vera is great - and you can get it with lidocain for the pain. Good luck!
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    you wouldn't think it from looking at me in my post winter pastiness but I actually tan up a fair amount.
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    Hinny wrote:

? i dont - i might get a little red initially, but it browns up in the following couple of days and then i go so brown over summer i probably could pass for an indigenous folkster :)

in fact, i sometimes wonder if i have either koorie, or Spanish or italian, or some bloodline like that in me???
    impatience is a gift ........
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I tan very easily...my skin just soaks up the sun. I was warned that I would burn in the Australian sun :rolleyes: :p Not a chance! :D I'm half Italian, a quarter Polish and a quarter German...seems to be a good combo for tanning. I know I should use sunblock anyway...and I do sometimes on my face...but not as much as I should

well I burn like crazy anywhere so I thought anyone in Australia would :p It's not fair I burn no matter how hot it is in the sun it seems in like 5 mins!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Zoso wrote:
    well I burn like crazy anywhere so I thought anyone in Australia would :p It's not fair I burn no matter how hot it is in the sun it seems in like 5 mins!
    That's cause you're whiter than white :p:D
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    I tan....a positive aspect of being of Italian heritage.

but my ass is hairy...a negative aspect of being of Italian heritage
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    me? burn baby, burn.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I am half Polish and half Scottish/English/Irish....no ever tells me the truth.
    I never tan my face as I don't want to look like an old hag. I keep it under wraps and use a light self tanner.
    I also have to use a high spf on my body as I will burn easily. But if I gradually ease my skin into the sun, I end up with a nice tan. It is not easy though.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    both. mostly burned.
    I miss igotid88
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    i burn like a motherfucker!

people always comment that i look pretty white for an Australian, but i don't try and get a tan coz i just burn!

i think i tanned a bit more in the european sun!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    burn then peel
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i wish i had more of my mexican bloodline apparent, then i wouldn't need to get a tan. my sister is so lucky. so...when i try and get a tan, i burn a bit but it turns to a tan the next day. but, i'm so scared of skin cancer that i don't really lay out and try to tan.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.