Options

Gym Etiquette

Comments

• Options
    My advice? never go to a Gym in January. Wait for the new year's resolution people to give up and move on.

I wish I could do this! but not working out for a month probably isn't a good idea!
  • Options
    I know, it sucks, that's why I don't go to the Gym anymore. Too many of the other users influence my mood. So I try to walk more and things like that.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,664
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Just wanted to point out a few pet peeves of mine about the gym. Feel free to add any of yours.

1. Guys Who Grunt: I'm sure you're looking forward to that case of hemorroids and six additional forehead veins that you will soon be the proud owners of considering the amount of straining you're doing, but it's a bit much if I can hear it over my IPOD.

I find that sexy, but then, I am a girl.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    tish wrote:
    I find that sexy, but then, I am a girl.

The veins or the hemorroids?
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,664
    Shit Mookie, good question. Certainly not the former.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    so we saw "Thor" at the gym last night. haven't been there in a few months so it was a nice surprise to see him on the night we decided to go back...

this guy makes me almost roll on the floor watching him workout...

if we are upstairs where the machines are one thing he does on the a couple machines is pull the pin out, collect ALL the 5 lb weights and stack them all up. makes no sense.

and the way that he jerks the weight all around it's no surprise that he has a brace on. i still can't believe no one has gone up to him and demonstrated the proper way to use equipment...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    I always laugh at the huge meatheads who are doing dumbell exercises with dumbells that are so heavy they have to have someone else lift them into place for them. That always makes me laugh.

Thats so they don't get hurt, you can press alot more weight than you can easily get into position. Don't want to tear a rotator or something lifting those up.

As for a complaint I have about my gym is the creepy people there, once there was a guy in the locker room standing in his tighty whiteys and he had shit himself! Seriously, he was standing there with shit coming out of the back of his underwear and he seemed oblivious to it. I got out of there asap and always avoid going on machines after him if I see him up there.
  • Options
    holtz wrote:

As for a complaint I have about my gym is the creepy people there, once there was a guy in the locker room standing in his tighty whiteys and he had shit himself! Seriously, he was standing there with shit coming out of the back of his underwear and he seemed oblivious to it. I got out of there asap and always avoid going on machines after him if I see him up there.

That is bad. But if the guy was oblivious to it he may have been having a seizure or something. A childhood friend of mine would have seizures and would piss his pants.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    It annoys me when its pretty empty in the gym and I am in a huge row of ellipticals and no one else is in the row, and someone walks up and sets up on the one next to me.. Like, dude.. spread out a little, must you run on top of me when no one is here?!
  • Options
    LesbelgesLesbelges Posts: 434
    holtz wrote:
    THere is always someone shaving at the gym while naked, worst was one time the old dude had his balls on the countertop while shaving, gross!

That was fucking funny! I never laugh out loud while on the computer, but damn!

At my gym people walk around naked, chat naked and shave naked....I don't get it. I don't want to see your giblets.

Once I saw a guy who must have had gigantism of the balls....it was WEIRD!

Another weird guy is an old man that when he takes a shower he wears a leopard speedo...
    Then there is the huge dude with crossed eyes that ALWAYS listens to Rammstein's Du Hast on his Ipod (yes it's that loud)

The guy I absolutely hate is the guy that uses four machines and then goes to take really long drinks so you don't knwo if he's still using all 4 or not. Once I took one of the handles he was using and i heard him say "People keep taking my shit". Moron....
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    mookie9999 wrote:
    That is bad. But if the guy was oblivious to it he may have been having a seizure or something. A childhood friend of mine would have seizures and would piss his pants.

The guy was standing in front of a mirror getting dressed, didn't seem like a seizure or anything. The guy is really creepy to begin with and shitting himself was just another in a list of strange things from him.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i got dragged to a gym once.

once.
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    I just hate the gym this time of year.

I'll like it a whole lot better in 3 weeks when all the resolutionists stop coming!!!
    that is my pet peeve! all of these resolution people are taking my treadmills and parking spots!!
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    ok so I have a gym question for you guys. I am normally at the gym every day of the week....no exceptions. I had foot surgery about month ago. Yesterday the doctor cleared me to do some light upper body weights but thats it. I am still on crutches and can't get around all that well. In fact I am really slow getting up and down and moving at all. I really want to start working out again but I'm afraid I would be getting in other peoples way. Do you guys think I should just wait at least until I'm off crutches?
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Jwmcc wrote:

2. I don't mind the people who chat on the phone while by themselves on a machine, but I can't stand those who gossip/chat during a class. I can't count the number of times I've had to do punishment sets cause people like that piss the instructor off.

A-HAA!. Thank you. I am an instructor who owns a small fitness center of a jazz-dance based fitness program. And it does piss me off when people are holding a side conversation DURING the cardio. It is dangerous. Shut the fuck up and listen to my damn cues so you don't trip. I don't think I could get away with making them do punishment sets, but you have given me fodder to make a joke and maybe get the idea across.
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    ok so I have a gym question for you guys. I am normally at the gym every day of the week....no exceptions. I had foot surgery about month ago. Yesterday the doctor cleared me to do some light upper body weights but thats it. I am still on crutches and can't get around all that well. In fact I am really slow getting up and down and moving at all. I really want to start working out again but I'm afraid I would be getting in other peoples way. Do you guys think I should just wait at least until I'm off crutches?

I would think you should probably pay attention to what your doctor suggests. Why not ask him/her if you could do something like stationary bike though?

Overall people, don't totally knock the new year's resolutionists. We in the fitness business need those people - it helps the bottom line in what is quite a tough business to profit in. And hopefully some of them become more than just a resolutionist.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    JaneNY wrote:
    I would think you should probably pay attention to what your doctor suggests. Why not ask him/her if you could do something like stationary bike though?.

He said I can start swimming or use a stationary bike in two weeks. Just the weights for now. Its killing me to not work out.
  • Options
    New one from last night. To the underpaid employee who must mop up the bathroom, your efforts are much appreciated. But do you think in the future you could wait until I was finished at the urinal before you started to mop at my heels?
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    LMAO!!! dam that was funny. i fuckin those people who mark their territory, fuck you!
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    LMAO!!! dam that was funny. i fuckin those people who mark their territory, fuck you!

Are you talking to me?!? You make it sound like I went in the locker or something! :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    no fuck the people who mark their territory! :D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    no fuck the people who mark their territory! :D

Well in that one blanket statement you've accounted for all of the dogs I've ever owned, and my poor Uncle Phil.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    ***Attention***

If you belong to one of the sports clubs (bsc, nysc, psc etc) you can go on the web site and vote on your favorite type of music apparently.

Also I met with a trainer this morning and he was asking me a lot of questions about what kind of music I work out to, so maybe they are trying to change it up.
  • Options
    Detroit2NYCDetroit2NYC New York, NY Posts: 337
    Funny Gym Story: I was in the bathroom at my gym a few weeks ago and, as usual, I was minding my own business, trying not to look at or make eye contact with anyone (especially naked people). Out of the corner of my eye, I couldn't help but notice an older, rather androgynous looking woman with a spiked hairdoo walking around the locker room completely nude from the waist up. As I walked through the locker room to the sink to wash my face, she followed me, but I still did not acknowledge her. When I was finished with the sink, I went to throw out my paper towel and she stood right next to me looking directly at me (old saggy boobs just blazin out for all to see). When I still didn't look over, she said directly to me, quite proudly, "I just swallowed 3 vitamins without swallowing my gum!"

Not knowing what the hell to do at this point, I smiled and did a nervous fake laugh in her general direction without my eyes falling directly on her, then ran out of the room!

Who talks to strangers while naked?!
  • Options

Who talks to strangers while naked?!

seriously you should go to this all-women's gym I used to go to, it's like a nudist colony in the locker room.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    This thread is starting to remind me of those 1970's/early 80's "women in prison" type movies. Like something Linda Blair would have starred in.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    seriously you should go to this all-women's gym I used to go to, it's like a nudist colony in the locker room.

I mean, I guess its cool that people are comfortable enough in their own skin to get naked in a public locker room, but I can't believe just HOW comfortable some of these people are! They will full on squat around and bend over and stuff.

Maybe I'm a prude, but if I have to change at the gym, I usually go into the bathroom stall, which makes me look even weirder cuz they think I have some deformity or a huge birth mark or something to hide. Really, its just cuz I don't offer free shows....at least buy me a drink first!
  • Options
    I mean, I guess its cool that people are comfortable enough in their own skin to get naked in a public locker room, but I can't believe just HOW comfortable some of these people are! They will full on squat around and bend over and stuff.

Maybe I'm a prude, but if I have to change at the gym, I usually go into the bathroom stall, which makes me look even weirder cuz they think I have some deformity or a huge birth mark or something to hide. Really, its just cuz I don't offer free shows....at least buy me a drink first!

I could care less if people see me naked, but I like to take into consideration that maybe some people don't *want* to see me naked, just as I don't want to see *them* naked. it's one thing to be comfortable in your body, but you have to be considerate of other people. I usually just quickly change facing the lockers and keeping my towel in strategic locations.
  • Options
    I could care less if people see me naked, but I like to take into consideration that maybe some people don't *want* to see me naked, just as I don't want to see *them* naked. it's one thing to be comfortable in your body, but you have to be considerate of other people. I usually just quickly change facing the lockers and keeping my towel in strategic locations.

Agreed.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    PJGARDEN wrote:

No - you're fine.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    The women's locker room sounds pretty kickass.