Options

Gym Etiquette

Comments

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    I agree with all three of those. As for #1, there was a guy in my last gym who would scream. literally scream. You'd be there concentrating on a lift and he'd just scare the shit out of you from all the way across the gym.

I used to do that and didn't even realize it. It wasn't a macho thing, it was involuntary. A workout partner brought it to my attention and I got it under control.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    I just hate the gym this time of year.

I'll like it a whole lot better in 3 weeks when all the resolutionists stop coming!!!
    That is soooo true!

I'm not Mr Super Healthy or Super fit Gym rat but i go on a regular basis and have been going for years now and Jan is always the busiest month and it makes it harder for me to get done the little that i do there :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    oh if we're talking locker room stuff...for the past few months I went to an all-female gym that is NOTORIOUS for being the nakdest locker room on earth...the locker room is like a spa- there's showers, massage, whirlpool, sauna, and steam room. Women just stroll to each buck naked and stop to have conversations, read a magazine, get a drink of water, whathaveyou. and it's always crowded so it's just like walking into a big nudest colony. the worst is that the glass dividers between the showers are too clear and you are surrounded by naked people on both sides-and when someone leans their butt against the glass...eewwwww....it's something you really don't want to see.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677

1) perfume/cologne in the gym. no no no no no. there is nothing worse than breathing heavily of the treadmill and sucking in the nasty perfuming you're sweating off.

YES!!!! The Tony Manero wannabe on the treadmill next to me last night apparently got the Brut power pack for XMAS and wanted everyone to know about it. He jumped on the treadmill about 10 minutes into my 60 and stayed for over 30 minutes. I figured if it made me sick I could always aim for him.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Here are my top gym pet peeves:

1. Dropping/slamming the weights. If you can't set it down carefully, it's too heavy for you.

If you have to drop the weights, you aren't ready to use them, or under developed (too weak) in one area. Imbalanced training. Lowering them gracefully and slowly is the best part of the last rep. It's a typical testosterone ego chest thump imo.

I used to work out a golds gym and almost all the bench press bars were permanently bowed (bent) from dudes benchin 500+ pounds. Pretty nuts. Every Friday this guy would pull up in his car out back, and honk the horn and all the monster dudes would run out to buy roids from him.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388

1) perfume/cologne in the gym. no no no no no. there is nothing worse than breathing heavily of the treadmill and sucking in the nasty perfuming you're sweating off.
    Oh yeah....my old gym had a dude (late 50'-early 60's), who must have bathed in the stuff....hell, he used enough that he might have actually been pickled in the stuff. You could track all around the building by sight!!! You could see the shit hanging in the air!!!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    wow, this thread made me hate the gym even more. i should just start working out in my apartment and jogging around the neighborhood.
  • Options
    wow, this thread made me hate the gym even more. i should just start working out in my apartment and jogging around the neighborhood.

Can you jog in this weather?!? After running for an hour last night feeling great I jogged the block home and thought my chest was gonna explode!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    YES!!!! The Tony Manero wannabe on the treadmill next to me last night apparently got the Brut power pack for XMAS and wanted everyone to know about it. He jumped on the treadmill about 10 minutes into my 60 and stayed for over 30 minutes. I figured if it made me sick I could always aim for him.

LOL!!! The "Brut Power Pack for Christmas." Kickass, great post!
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Here are my top gym pet peeves:

3. Sitting on a machine for 2-5 minutes between sets just staring off into space. If you're going to sit there that long, you might as well let someone else work in.

that being said (and yes, I do hate this too) I hate when people ask me to work in while I am on my 30 second rest. I HATE it. I don't want to rest longer than 30 seconds between sets and if I let you work in I will have to. I got here first, go do something else for the 5 minutes I'm using this.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    know1 wrote:
    3. Sitting on a machine for 2-5 minutes between sets just staring off into space. If you're going to sit there that long, you might as well let someone else work in.

never understood people who feel the need to rest so long between sets...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    fanch.....

go get yourself some gloves and start hitting the heavy bag 2-3 times a week....

its fucking addicting....

and its a kick ass workout......

It does sound fun but my goal is to get a whole-body weight routine in during lunchtime, which means about 40 minutes. Not enough time.
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    No, I can't do it. Flip flops are open and the water that rushed over what was there can rush into your flops. :eek:
    I wasn't insinuating you worked out at a gross gym.

I don't have any gym issues I guess. I keep to myself or see a couple gfs that work there once in a while. I mind my own biz.

Well if I wore rubber boots I think all the gay guys would start hitting on me... :D

Actually it's bad enough I get watched sometimes when a few of them are together. They like what they see I guess.

Wanna hear the grossest thing ever? I used to go to a worlds gym downtown close to the gay district, and they actually had to close down the hot tub because all guys kept having sex in the hot tub to the point that all the jizz kept clogging up the filter. How's that? :D

yowza...glad I never used it.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    that being said (and yes, I do hate this too) I hate when people ask me to work in while I am on my 30 second rest. I HATE it. I don't want to rest longer than 30 seconds between sets and if I let you work in I will have to. I got here first, go do something else for the 5 minutes I'm using this.

30 seconds is OK, but longer is not. I'm similar to you in that I do not want to rest more than a minute or so.

I guess nobody else has a problem with people who do not sort the weights out onto the proper pegs?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    I guess nobody else has a problem with people who do not sort the weights out onto the proper pegs?

If they've put the weights back at all I'll take it. as long as there aren't 6 45 lb plates and a clamp on the bar on the highest peg over my head on the squat rack, I'm happy.
  • Options
    If they've put the weights back at all I'll take it. as long as there aren't 6 45 lb plates and a clamp on the bar on the highest peg over my head on the squat rack, I'm happy.

You must go to my gym. I have yet to catch the guy, and cuff him in the back of the head. :p

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Well if I wore rubber boots I think all the gay guys would start hitting on me... :D

Actually it's bad enough I get watched sometimes when a few of them are together. They like what they see I guess.

Wanna hear the grossest thing ever? I used to go to a worlds gym downtown close to the gay district, and they actually had to close down the hot tub because all guys kept having sex in the hot tub to the point that all the jizz kept clogging up the filter. How's that? :D

yowza...glad I never used it.
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...
  • Options
    I always laugh at the huge meatheads who are doing dumbell exercises with dumbells that are so heavy they have to have someone else lift them into place for them. That always makes me laugh.

My gym also has the "old, way to comfortable naked guy" in the locker room. Seriously put some clothes on!

Also our Golds Gym Roid supplier got busted a while back and made a bunch of headlines because a few of the University Football players were implicated in the charges. Ooops
  • Options
    This is a small one, but the people that leave their dirty kleenex, empty water bottles, etc. in the cup holders of the machines is also quite annoying. Gotta love the irony of exercising and being completely lazy at the same time. Kind of like the people that would drive around at my old gym in Cali looking for a better parking space. :rolleyes:
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    Saturnal wrote:
    This is why I work out at home

damm i can actually agree with some one from boston ,but it's true thank god i have a good basement to have some equipment for working out and my son also uses it wich is cool ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    My gym is on a college campus. For an 'older' guy like me, it's heaven boys. Pure heaven. :D
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763

That's a pet peeve as well, but it is pretty crappy to mix the weights.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Great thread idea. Here's mine from experiencing New York Sports Clubs the last 5+ years:

1.People who don't shower for the week preceding their workout. Ugh,have some respect for those around you.

2. I don't mind the people who chat on the phone while by themselves on a machine, but I can't stand those who gossip/chat during a class. I can't count the number of times I've had to do punishment sets cause people like that piss the instructor off.

3.People who can't be bothered to close their locker when they're finished with them. Is it really that hard to just close the door on the locker?

4.The music in the gym. More rock, some heavy metal, even rap please, enough of the slow 80's videos and Britney songs.

5. Not racking the weights or leaving other crap all over the gym floor. Guess there are those folks who when they don't have mommy to clean for them they just leave a mess.

There's more but I'll add those when work is less busy.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I would never pay to work out. Jogging outside, push-up and sit-ups can be done anywhere.
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    fanch75 wrote:
    What about the fat old wrinkly dudes who love to stand naked next to you at the sink, combing their hair?

THere is always someone shaving at the gym while naked, worst was one time the old dude had his balls on the countertop while shaving, gross!
  • Options
    I would never pay to work out. Jogging outside, push-up and sit-ups can be done anywhere.

1) some people need/want to do more

2) in extreme hot (>90) and cold (<20 and ICE!), running outside blows.
  • Options
    Jwmcc wrote:
    Great thread idea. Here's mine from experiencing New York Sports Clubs the last 5+ years:
    4.The music in the gym. More rock, some heavy metal, even rap please, enough of the slow 80's videos and Britney songs.

So NYSC are the same with the lame music? I thought it was just Gold's! The first few weeks that I worked out I didn't have my mp3 player and could not believe what type of crap I was hearing. Not only was it Britney and the Spice Girls, but it was Britney and the Spice Girls songs of the '90's. Sprinkle in some boy bands from that era and a healthy does of Bon Jovi's Bad Medicinie on a constant loop, and you get the idea of what type of "music" is being played. It's like a crazy time-warp in there.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    holtz wrote:
    THere is always someone shaving at the gym while naked, worst was one time the old dude had his balls on the countertop while shaving, gross!

I think the only thing that could have been more unappetizing to read than this was if you said he was shaving said balls.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Yeah, and not only that, they repeat the same videos for weeks on end. If you go in there around 5pm twice a week you're seeing the same junk at the same time.
    Jw
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    So NYSC are the same with the lame music? I thought it was just Gold's! The first few weeks that I worked out I didn't have my mp3 player and could not believe what type of crap I was hearing. Not only was it Britney and the Spice Girls, but it was Britney and the Spice Girls songs of the '90's. Sprinkle in some boy bands from that era and a healthy does of Bon Jovi's Bad Medicinie on a constant loop, and you get the idea of what type of "music" is being played. It's like a crazy time-warp in there.

I dunno, we've got this like hiphop/club music in my new gym and it's just like jarring. it's so horrible. apparently its the "sports club network" (BSC, NYSC, PSC, ect). I'm going to blast my eardrums out my headphones are up so high.