The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    The two things I've been saying about this series as soon as I found out it was vs. Philly.

1. Pronger in or out of the lineup isn't going to make that big of a difference.

2. Bob is a much better goalie than most would think.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Big Drop wrote:
    The two things I've been saying about this series as soon as I found out it was vs. Philly.

1. Pronger in or out of the lineup isn't going to make that big of a difference.

Pronger makes a huge difference. Syvret was on the ice when the sabres scored. He doesn't touch the ice if Pronger is in the lineup. Plus Pronger has a huge impact on the PP. JVR was on the point tonight. That was a contingency plan at the end of the season because the PP was terrible when pronger went down.

We'll see what happens on Saturday. Flyers need to find a way to get in Miller's face. He made it look easy tonight
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    I know firsthand that Pronger is a huge difference maker, especially in the playoffs. Birds starting singing and angels descended from the heavens when I heard he was going to the Eastern Conference and wasn't going to be a thorn in my team's ass anymore.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,979
    The Fixer wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

Pronger makes a huge difference. Syvret was on the ice when the sabres scored. He doesn't touch the ice if Pronger is in the lineup. Plus Pronger has a huge impact on the PP. JVR was on the point tonight. That was a contingency plan at the end of the season because the PP was terrible when pronger went down.

We'll see what happens on Saturday. Flyers need to find a way to get in Miller's face. He made it look easy tonight

Yeah, #1 above is an incredibly inaccurate statement.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    pronger is huge !!...even if he comes back he won't be the same

drury went thru the same thing 2 years ago..dressed and played..but his hand was useless

iam not comparing the impact of the players...just the injury
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,432
    The Fixer wrote:
    before I read thread I just want to give my thoughts as I was at game tonight...

1 - worst playoff game ever. so boring

2 - neither team played well

3 - game was boring as fuck

4 - game came down to two things...

A) Miller let up zero rebounds, Bob let up one
    B) 0-5 on PP (incluing a two man advantage)

5 - tailgating was awesome...I wish weather was like this all year. If it didnt get hotter than today I'd be happy. Absolutely perfect

6 - Jeff Carter sucks my ass. Can't wait to watch that pussy for 10 more years.

7 - my seats were in section 117, row 11. the two rows behind me were empty the entire game. lots of empty seats tonight

and WIP-o was his name-o. (and yeah yeah yeah you don't listen blah blah blah. even if you don't your attitude is so wip-ish it's disgusting)

did you wear your Carcillo jersey? good thing that stiff was in the lineup. of course you love him. clown

and anyone that thinks Bob is a good goalie please help me. average at best and just terrible at times. i don't see it.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I found that the Flyers came out in the 1st period playing very well but in the second and third period they stop hitting and played too defensively. I expect them to come back strong on Saturday (whats with the 5 pm start time?) and dominate. i found JVR was the best player on the ice with Leino playing well also. Carter didn't do anything and Richard started well but faded later in the game.
    pjhawks wrote:
    and WIP-o was his name-o. (and yeah yeah yeah you don't listen blah blah blah. even if you don't your attitude is so wip-ish it's disgusting)

did you wear your Carcillo jersey? good thing that stiff was in the lineup. of course you love him. clown

and anyone that thinks Bob is a good goalie please help me. average at best and just terrible at times. i don't see it.

Dude, if there's anyone on here that sounds like a robot of sports radio, it's a-you, brotha. Along with a couple others that come through here to say the least.

Flyers didn't play terrible last night. Solid effort, they just try to get too fucking fancy and pass too much.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,674
    edited April 2011
    I would argue that Pronger is the biggest difference maker in the NHL.

The Sabres also are missing their top center and 2 of their top 4 defensemen as well. I wont even count Hecht because he was awful this season.

Injuries just arent a valid excuse. The Flyers lost 1-0 and Miller really didnt have to be all that outstanding. There is more to it than just Pronger. The Flyers top to bottom are a very good team.

I have to say, going to the game last night was a great experience. They should make that a ride at Disney. I was constantly yelled at and taunted. Never threatened and nothing out of line. In fact, outside having a cigarette, someone flipped my hat like 3 inches up on my head and security came out of nowhere and booted the guy (despite my pleas). 3 different Flyers fans bought me beer. Had great hockey/sports conversations. I kept saying how enjoyable it was, and Philly has an unjust bad rap and people liked that. Good people in this city.

edit: And JVR with the #1 star? Really?
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    MayDay10 wrote:

The Sabres also are missing their top center and probably their #2 or #3 defenseman as well.

Injuries just arent a valid excuse. The Flyers lost 1-0 and Miller really didnt have to be all that outstanding. There is more to it than just Pronger. The Flyers top to bottom are a very good team.

I have to say, going to the game last night was a great experience. They should make that a ride at Disney. I was constantly yelled at and taunted. Never threatened and nothing out of line. In fact, outside having a cigarette, someone flipped my hat like 3 inches up on my head and security came out of nowhere and booted the guy (despite my pleas). 3 different Flyers fans bought me beer. Had great hockey/sports conversations. I kept saying how enjoyable it was, and Philly has an unjust bad rap and people liked that. Good people in this city.

see but flipping your hat off..is laying their hands on you ..which would result in me throwing a punch at them

every arena has idiots...beer does that .....taunts are one thing,but when a drunk comes over and takes your hat off..that goes over the line...fuck him
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    pjhawks wrote:

Dude, if there's anyone on here that sounds like a robot of sports radio, it's a-you, brotha. Along with a couple others that come through here to say the least.

Flyers didn't play terrible last night. Solid effort, they just try to get too fucking fancy and pass too much.

hardly - the wip-itis as i like to call it is a total overreaction, both postive and negative, to every game and an absolute obessession to ripping certain players like the Fixer does with Jeff Carter and Ryan Howard. Ok dude we get it, you hate those two, do we need to rehash it every fn day? it's nauseating. rip on the best players but give losers like carcillo and ross gload a free pass. it's clownish i'm sorry.
    MayDay10 wrote:

Ha. I saw that too, and I was thinking the exact same thing.

Call me crazy, I just don't think Pronger coming back to the lineup will revitalize this team. I think if the Flyers are going to make it out of round one they're going to do it with goaltending and their PP. It doesn't mean I don't think Pronger is a good defenceman, it just means that I don't think he's the same defenceman that he was six years ago when he made a run with Edmonton.

I also think Bob is going to grow into a very good goaltender.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Big Drop wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Ha. I saw that too, and I was thinking the exact same thing.

Call me crazy, I just don't think Pronger coming back to the lineup will revitalize this team. I think if the Flyers are going to make it out of round one they're going to do it with goaltending and their PP. It doesn't mean I don't think Pronger is a good defenceman, it just means that I don't think he's the same defenceman that he was six years ago when he made a run with Edmonton.

I also think Bob is going to grow into a very good goaltender.

I don't agree with you. Pronger is still one of the best dman in the NHL come playoff time. he will help our pp, just because no one on buffalo will clear him from the front of the net come the pp. . Buffalo played a good road game yesterday but I expect Philly to come out big tomorrow.

Bob played well yesterday but gave up that 1 rebound which cost them the game. I still see philly winning in 6 games.

finally, JVR was the best player on the ice yesterday. he dominated the game.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    fife wrote:
    I don't agree with you. Pronger is still one of the best dman in the NHL come playoff time. he will help our pp, just because no one on buffalo will clear him from the front of the net come the pp. . Buffalo played a good road game yesterday but I expect Philly to come out big tomorrow.

Bob played well yesterday but gave up that 1 rebound which cost them the game. I still see philly winning in 6 games.

finally, JVR was the best player on the ice yesterday. he dominated the game.

clear pronger from in front of the net? he typically plays the point. he has only gone down in front of the net on rare occasions.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    hartnell was awful yesterday ...
    MayDay10 wrote:

The Sabres also are missing their top center and probably their #2 or #3 defenseman as well.

see but flipping your hat off..is laying their hands on you ..which would result in me throwing a punch at them

every arena has idiots...beer does that .....taunts are one thing,but when a drunk comes over and takes your hat off..that goes over the line...fuck him

I hear that. This happened to us up in Buffalo back in '06. We took shit from people ALLL game. And that's cool, I'm an asshole, I'd do the same thing. But then some douchebag in his pristine newly bought jersey and his blonde highlights flipped my buddy's backwards hat but reaching over and flipping the brim. We snapped. We said, "Look, motherfuckers, now you're being douchebags. We're cool with talking shit all game, but don't fucking touch us." Suffice to say, we saw the same douche(s) in the hallway whom then continued to get literally right in our faces - nose to nose - and a brawl ensued. Thought I was going to need bail that day...
    MayDay10 wrote:

I hear that. This happened to us up in Buffalo back in '06. We took shit from people ALLL game. And that's cool, I'm an asshole, I'd do the same thing. But then some douchebag in his pristine newly bought jersey and his blonde highlights flipped my buddy's backwards hat but reaching over and flipping the brim. We snapped. We said, "Look, motherfuckers, now you're being douchebags. We're cool with talking shit all game, but don't fucking touch us." Suffice to say, we saw the same douche(s) in the hallway whom then continued to get literally right in our faces - nose to nose - and a brawl ensued. Thought I was going to need bail that day...

Sorry you had a bad time here. I can't speak for all of the Sabres fans as an autonomous unit but I'd like to think we're pretty good about treating other fans well. There's always some asshole who's got something to prove though.
    Big Drop wrote:

Sorry you had a bad time here. I can't speak for all of the Sabres fans as an autonomous unit but I'd like to think we're pretty good about treating other fans well. There's always some asshole who's got something to prove though.

No, I know. That's my point. This shit happens everywhere. I had a good time there outside of that. Ended up drinking at these two bars on Chippewa(I think that's what it is) with Buffalonians(?) until 5 am. You boys like your Crown Royal, and I can respect that.
    Big Drop wrote:

No, I know. That's my point. This shit happens everywhere. I had a good time there outside of that. Ended up drinking at these two bars on Chippewa(I think that's what it is) with Buffalonians(?) until 5 am. You boys like your Crown Royal, and I can respect that.

why do people feel the need to wear hats and/or jerseys to road games? you are inviting that type of behavior by doing that. not sure why it's hard for people to understand that. yet people constantly do the same thing then complain when they picked on during road games. pretty simple solution, don't wear colors to road games and act civilized. you can cheer for your team without a jersey believe it or not and you can cheer without being obnoxious.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

why do people feel the need to wear hats and/or jerseys to road games? you are inviting that type of behavior by doing that. not sure why it's hard for people to understand that. yet people constantly do the same thing then complain when they picked on during road games. pretty simple solution, don't wear colors to road games and act civilized. you can cheer for your team without a jersey believe it or not and you can cheer without being obnoxious.

Funny thing is, jerkoff, we were'nt wearing any Flyers garb, we were in our work clothes from the night before. Any day you want to get the fuck off your soapbox would be good. But thanks on your input, it's always enlightening.
    Funny thing is, jerkoff, we were'nt wearing any Flyers garb, we were in our work clothes from the night before. Any day you want to get the fuck off your soapbox would be good. But thanks on your input, it's always enlightening.

ligthen up Francis :roll:

and i'm sure you were sitting there like choir boys when they picked on you - puhhleeze
    Big Drop wrote:

The Chip strip is a great place to party. Buffalonian is the correct demonym. When I go to away games, I never wear anything but my Sabres/Bills jerseys. That way I can see who the other people are at the arena who are fans and they can see me. I do my best to strike up conversation with people around me so they know I'm cool, but there are always the people who think it's their duty as a fan of their team to be miserable assholes to anyone they find threatening. I'm just surprised the ushers didn't take care of things when someone tried to start a scuffle with you, since they're usually pretty good about that at HSBC. I've never seen an altercation last for very long there.
    MayDay10 wrote:

The Sabres also are missing their top center and 2 of their top 4 defensemen as well. I wont even count Hecht because he was awful this season.

I really have respect for you as a fan. You obviously know your shit. I just hope you weren't the guy with the yellow arrow sign. That was the gayest thing I've ever seen.

Also, the blue sabre jerseys make you guys look like the Charlestown Chiefs. Awful.

injuries as excuses are for pussies. The flyers are better with or without their best player. If the sabres win the series you won't hear this guy making excuses. the better team will win

and jvr/coburn have been the two best players since pronger got hurt. which is why this team has sucked
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

hardly - the wip-itis as i like to call it is a total overreaction, both postive and negative, to every game and an absolute obessession to ripping certain players like the Fixer does with Jeff Carter and Ryan Howard. Ok dude we get it, you hate those two, do we need to rehash it every fn day? it's nauseating. rip on the best players but give losers like carcillo and ross gload a free pass. it's clownish i'm sorry.

keep defending carter. abreu on skates...with frosted tips. the dude pees sitting down
    pjhawks wrote:

and i'm sure you were sitting there like choir boys when they picked on you - puhhleeze

I have been to many road games. I always wear philly shit. I cheer my team, but I'm not a d-bag. The people that act like jerk offs and taunt the opposing fans deserve to get their ass kicked. If I sit there and clap when my team does well no one should say shit. and they usually don't...unless you're in the wrigley bleachers. which was fine. I loved every second of the 'abuse' those losers tried to dish out.

pjhawks, you need to get out more. and stop being so angry
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,558
    high_horse.jpg

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvWFydG_9kw

see if you can find me...this was 2 months ago

the 2 hick flyer fans threw beer in the guards face which also hit my crew
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

I have been to many road games. I always wear philly shit. I cheer my team, but I'm not a d-bag. The people that act like jerk offs and taunt the opposing fans deserve to get their ass kicked. If I sit there and clap when my team does well no one should say shit. and they usually don't...unless you're in the wrigley bleachers. which was fine. I loved every second of the 'abuse' those losers tried to dish out.

pjhawks, you need to get out more. and stop being so angry

Dude wasn't even there, and he's assuming I was being an asshole. There was two of us surrounded by drunk assholes. I know my place. I'm starting to think the guy might be socially awkward and just says the wrong things at wrong times - aka just doesnt get it....
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,674
    The Fixer wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I really have respect for you as a fan. You obviously know your shit. I just hope you weren't the guy with the yellow arrow sign. That was the gayest thing I've ever seen.

Also, the blue sabre jerseys make you guys look like the Charlestown Chiefs. Awful.

injuries as excuses are for pussies. The flyers are better with or without their best player. If the sabres win the series you won't hear this guy making excuses. the better team will win

and jvr/coburn have been the two best players since pronger got hurt. which is why this team has sucked

Thanks for the compliment.

that is like the game. I pat Philly or the Flyers on the back and people were very nice. If anything 'bad' happened, I have no doubt most people in my viscinity would have had my back.

I didnt/wouldnt bring a sign.

Big game today for sure. A lot more pressure on the Flyers, but this is where their experience of the past few postseasons is key. Facing the adversity they have faced, they should handle the pressure better than most.

I think if Buffalo can again weather the storm in the first period and get the first goal or 2, the Flyers will open it up a bit and we will see a track meet with a bunch of odd man rushes. The crowd would also turn on them.

Sekera might be in for Buffalo, Morrisonn may be out. If they are both out, I dont know who the 6th d-man is. Leopold isnt ready either.

I think Philly bounces back, and gets the traffic in front they need. Buffalo will unravel a bit. 5-2 Flyers.
    Dude wasn't even there, and he's assuming I was being an asshole. There was two of us surrounded by drunk assholes. I know my place. I'm starting to think the guy might be socially awkward and just says the wrong things at wrong times - aka just doesnt get it....

never said that at all but i'm sure you were randomly selected by a few fans to be picked on. i've been to hundreds of road games in all different sports. IN GENERAL if you act appropriately those things don't happen - that is all i am saying. unfortunately in today's society and especially with the younger set, acting appropriately and blending in is not 'cool' so lots of people try to make a spectacle of themselves. basically what i am saying is the same behavior lots of here rip the Red Sox fans for our fans do the same thing but don't see anything wrong with it on our end.

fixer: since you love STATS here are the regular season FACTS for you:

Player Team G
    1 Corey Perry ANA 50
    2 Steven Stamkos TBL 45
    3 Jarome Iginla CGY 43
    4 Daniel Sedin VAN 41
    5 Ryan Kesler VAN 41
    6 Patrick Marleau SJS 37
    7 Jeff Carter PHI 36
    8 Patrick Sharp CHI 34
    9 Bobby Ryan ANA 34
    10 Danny Briere PHI 34