Options

O.K. how many people here are pregnant?

Comments

• Options
    pacifierpacifier Posts: 1,009

There will be some blood work involved if your doc wants to rule it out. The tests are to check for certain markers in your blood that would indicate that your kidneys and liver aren't functioning as well as they should be, such as uric acid. There's also a 24 hour urine test. That's TONS of fun, trust me. ;) You literally have to collect your urine for 24 hours and then they test it to see if there's an abnormal amount of protein in the urine. While they check for protein in your urine every time you visit the doctor, the 24 hour test is the gold standard because protein levels can fluctuate over a 24 hour period.

ah, 24 hr urine tests, gotta love them (not). I've had to do a number of them in the last 8 years because of my kidney problems and I can't stand it. Especially when they give you a bag to collect it in instead of a bottle. Plus you would think they would provide you with something specially designed for catching the pee as it comes out and pour it easily into the container. It would be so much easier if you were a guy. Because of my kidney problems all this talk of high blood pressure and gestational diabetes, etc, has me very paranoid. I would love to have lots of kids, but if something happens to further damage my kidneys i might just have to stick to the one. Not to mention I would probably have to be kept a closer eye on for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    pacifier wrote:
    ah, 24 hr urine tests, gotta love them (not). I've had to do a number of them in the last 8 years because of my kidney problems and I can't stand it. Especially when they give you a bag to collect it in instead of a bottle. Plus you would think they would provide you with something specially designed for catching the pee as it comes out and pour it easily into the container. It would be so much easier if you were a guy. Because of my kidney problems all this talk of high blood pressure and gestational diabetes, etc, has me very paranoid. I would love to have lots of kids, but if something happens to further damage my kidneys i might just have to stick to the one. Not to mention I would probably have to be kept a closer eye on for the rest of my life.

I guess only time will tell.
    Whatever happens maybe you can adopt. Id love to do that anyway.:D
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    I guess only time will tell.
    Whatever happens maybe you can adopt. Id love to do that anyway.:D

I wouldn't mind adopting if I couldn't have kids, but my partner isn't so sure.
  • Options
    pacifier wrote:
    I wouldn't mind adopting if I couldn't have kids, but my partner isn't so sure.

Work at a daycare. I used to. It mightmake you glad to be where you are.
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    Work at a daycare. I used to. It mightmake you glad to be where you are.

I have worked at a day care :) it made me realise I love kids but I'd prefer to be looking after my own or my friends and family where I feel free to look after them how I see fit and try to be a good influence on their lives.
  • Options
    pacifier wrote:
    I have worked at a day care :) it made me realise I love kids but I'd prefer to be looking after my own or my friends and family where I feel free to look after them how I see fit and try to be a good influence on their lives.

I shouldnt be so hard. There were some good kids but the bad ones...
    wow I feel for thier parents.
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    I shouldnt be so hard. There were some good kids but the bad ones...
    wow I feel for thier parents.

No, I know what you mean. I've really only work a few weeks at a childcare centre, did a six month course to be able to work as a child care worker, did pretty well at it too, but the actual act of looking after so many kids of the same age all with different personalities and backgrounds was a bit difficult to handle. Now I'm studying to become a primary school teacher.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the kind words. Jack Michael Groark is here. He's now 13 hours old. Born at 9:11 A.M. 7 pounds, 14 ounces, 20 inches long. Mother and baby are both doing great, mom is quite tired, as you'd expect. We left the house at 5:15 this morning. Pics will be up shortly on:

mysite.verizon.net/seangroark

I'm sure many of you will like my shirt

edit. My shirt didn't come out in any of the pics I have up yet. You'll see it tomorrow. I smell like baby, and I miss that kid already
  • Options
    Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    Thanks for all the kind words. Jack Michael Groark is here. He's now 13 hours old. Born at 9:11 A.M. 7 pounds, 14 ounces, 20 inches long. Mother and baby are both doing great, mom is quite tired, as you'd expect. We left the house at 5:15 this morning. Pics will be up shortly on:

mysite.verizon.net/seangroark

I'm sure many of you will like my shirt

edit. My shirt didn't come out in any of the pics I have up yet. You'll see it tomorrow. I smell like baby, and I miss that kid already

congratulations!!! He's beautiful!
  • Options
    Thanks. And good luck to you. I'm too tired to scroll...when are you due?
  • Options
    Yay!!!
    Congrats Hellfish!!!
    How are you feeling?
    What was the whole thing like?
    I hope you are doing well.
    He is very cute.

Now the tough part starts.
    Try to get lotsa sleep.
    Hehe :D I have a huuge smile on my face!
  • Options
    Your son is adorable, huge Congrats!!
    www.myspace.com/quietrhythm
    www.quietrhythm.livejournal.com
  • Options
    SwanSwan Posts: 350
    I'm pregnant.
    I'm the only Hell Mama ever raised.
  • Options
    Miracle wrote:
    I'm pregnant.

Really when are you due? Fill us in.
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    Really when are you due? Fill us in.

i'm due soon, i had a sono-thingy done and it's a baby elephant.
  • Options
    Miracle wrote:
    i'm due soon, i had a sono-thingy done and it's a baby elephant.

Haha
    Joker.
    How you gonna get it out?
    HAve any names picked out?
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    Haha
    Joker.
    How you gonna get it out?
    HAve any names picked out?

well the trunk is partially out already ;)

i'm gonna name it Yojimbo.
  • Options
    Miracle wrote:
    well the trunk is partially out already ;)

i'm gonna name it Yojimbo.

Is the j pronounced as an h in Yojimbo?
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    Is the j pronounced as an h in Yojimbo?

no, no. it's pronounced the way it's spelled. YO-JIM-BO.
  • Options
    Miracle wrote:
    no, no. it's pronounced the way it's spelled. YO-JIM-BO.

Too bad. I like it better my way.
    You dont think you should start touring with circus do you?
    I mean you could make some good money, or the kid could at least.
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    Too bad. I like it better my way.
    You dont think you should start touring with circus do you?
    I mean you could make some good money, or the kid could at least.

i'm having an elephant and you don't think i'm already in a freakshow?
    $50 per head.
  • Options
    Miracle wrote:
    i'm having an elephant and you don't think i'm already in a freakshow?
    $50 per head.

I dont think anyone will pay $50 to see your "head"
    Keep your hopes up though! ;)
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    Yay!!!
    Congrats Hellfish!!!
    How are you feeling?
    What was the whole thing like?
    I hope you are doing well.
    He is very cute.

Now the tough part starts.
    Try to get lotsa sleep.
    Hehe :D I have a huuge smile on my face!

Thanks. I'm feeling great. Getting tired. Camille (my wife) was much better today than yesterday. Off the epidural, and out of bed. She was in bed all day yesterday, with the epidural hooked up. The whole thing was relatively smooth. It took about 45 minutes beginning to end. After everything was done, it took about an hour for Jack to be warmed up enough to be released to us. It took Camille a little longer. We had him all day yesterday, and today. He is unbelievably well tempered. Very rarely cries, and when he does, all I have to do is talk to him, and he stops. Today he was awake quite a bit, and had his eyes wide open. Started to eat well today too. yesterday he just ate 1/2 ounce or so every 4 hours. Today he ate a full 2 ounce bottle, and then 1 1/2 ounces a few hours later. He's like clockwork with the diapers. 15 - 20 minutes after he starts eating, he starts pooping. Beware, the first several diapers are very, well, odd. Thick, black, nasty. There will be a few new pics up on the website tonight.
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm feeling great. Getting tired. Camille (my wife) was much better today than yesterday. Off the epidural, and out of bed. She was in bed all day yesterday, with the epidural hooked up. The whole thing was relatively smooth. It took about 45 minutes beginning to end. After everything was done, it took about an hour for Jack to be warmed up enough to be released to us. It took Camille a little longer. We had him all day yesterday, and today. He is unbelievably well tempered. Very rarely cries, and when he does, all I have to do is talk to him, and he stops. Today he was awake quite a bit, and had his eyes wide open. Started to eat well today too. yesterday he just ate 1/2 ounce or so every 4 hours. Today he ate a full 2 ounce bottle, and then 1 1/2 ounces a few hours later. He's like clockwork with the diapers. 15 - 20 minutes after he starts eating, he starts pooping. Beware, the first several diapers are very, well, odd. Thick, black, nasty. There will be a few new pics up on the website tonight.

congratulations. I saw the pics, he's beautiful!
  • Options
    NOT ME....
    blah! pregnancy is alright for the first few months, the last months are frickin annoying, and the grand finale SUCKS!!!!!
    "You, my love, are allowed to rot and to die and to live again more alive and incandescent than before"
  • Options
    Hope alls well in the Hellfish home today!!!
    Any exciting developements or warnings for the rest of us?
  • Options
    Well, we all came home yesterday. Everything was great, except he only wanted to sleep in our arms. He'd go under, then we'd move him to a basinet, and he'd be fussing in a minute. So, I slept from 6:00 to 8:30. Made a 7-11 coffee run at 3:30 AM. He finally went to sleep in a bassinet at 6:30
  • Options
    Moms & Dads Have you signed up for Upromise yet? It's a website that helps you save for college. It costs nothing to you. You get $ back for buying certain things. That $ goes into a 529 college savings account. There really is no catch. We started in 2003, and now that Jack is here we'll be able to invest what we've gotten back. In 3 years, we've "earned" over $1000 in his account

check it out

upromise.com
  • Options
    Moms & Dads Have you signed up for Upromise yet? It's a website that helps you save for college. It costs nothing to you. You get $ back for buying certain things. That $ goes into a 529 college savings account. There really is no catch. We started in 2003, and now that Jack is here we'll be able to invest what we've gotten back. In 3 years, we've "earned" over $1000 in his account

check it out

upromise.com

For US residents.
    Too bad.

Getting some more sleep yet?
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't realize it's a US only thing. Sorry

Last night was much better sleep. We got him down in the crib, and I slept from 2:00 to 9:00. Got up twice to help Camille with a bottle and a diaper. She slept from 10:00 to 2:30, and about 4:30 to 7 or so. She's sleeping now, as is Jack