smelly people stinking out the office!

13»

Comments

• This thread reminds me that I need to go buy some more speed stick tomorrow.
    NERDS!
  • Ewwww...feminine odor...how embarrassing! I used "vaginal discharge" as an exuse for being late to work once (I had a male boss). He ran away shouting that he didn't want to hear anymore....after that, he rarely asked me why I was late...

Anyway - one of my co-workers who shared a "work pod" with me is a VERY heavy smoker. I can't stand stale ciggy smoke and I am allergic to it...plus she has the smoker's hack, which puts into the air, the smoke from her lungs... After a year of this, I mentioned to her the other day that I bought a faint air freshener because I found that the ciggy smoke was really bothering me (at our worksite you have to go outside to smoke, and she takes about six smoke breaks per day - in addition to the smokes that has at lunch). I told her that it was still her right to smoke and I wasn't trying to offend her...

Well, she goes crying to the boss about what a bitch I am - and packed up all her stuff and moved to another work pod. She's all, "I'm going and taking my smell with me!"

I dunno...at our work, you can smell bad, but you can't smell good. No heavy deoderants, hair products, perfumes, essential oils, hand creams, etc. It's stupid...

I sure do empathize with all of you, though! Wow!

You should have thrown in something about onion odor and you probably wouldn't have had to work ever again.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • :eek: hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D

vedderfan10, can you please explain to me what 'being allergic to smoke' is? I never heard of said allergy outside of the US. I can understand not liking the smell or not wanting to be around it BUT do you break out in spots? Does your tongue swell up? What?

It's a real thing, not something non-smokers make-up to make addicts feel bad about their habit.

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=1288

Common symptoms of smoke irritation are burning or watery eyes, nasal congestion, coughing, hoarseness and shortness-of-breath.

Glad I quit that nasty habit 2 weeks, 1 day, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 15 seconds ago. :D
  • sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    :eek: hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D

vedderfan10, can you please explain to me what 'being allergic to smoke' is? I never heard of said allergy outside of the US. I can understand not liking the smell or not wanting to be around it BUT do you break out in spots? Does your tongue swell up? What?

does instant nausea and headache count? 'cause that's what happens to me around ciggy smoke, or even worse, cigar smoke. dear sweet jesus, i just wanna shove that stogie up the person's nose.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    i have to work pretty closely with someone who is severely dentally challenged, and as a result, his breath smells like death itself. my office reeks after he leaves.

i may give him some mouthwash for christmas. would that be too forward??
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • i have to work pretty closely with someone who is severely dentally challenged, and as a result, his breath smells like death itself. my office reeks after he leaves.

i may give him some mouthwash for christmas. would that be too forward??

Give him a gift pack of mouthwash and the Austin Powers boxset.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    It's a real thing, not something non-smokers make-up to make addicts feel bad about their habit.

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=1288

Common symptoms of smoke irritation are burning or watery eyes, nasal congestion, coughing, hoarseness and shortness-of-breath.

Glad I quit that nasty habit 2 weeks, 1 day, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 15 seconds ago. :D

Allergy to tobacco smoke is determined by a scratch test, to see if the subject has an adverse reaction. At 13 I had one of these tests and was found to be allergic to tobacco smoke, as is anyone who takes the test.

I think the basic fact is that tobacco smoke is bad for humans, period. We don't need allergies for that to be true. Anyway, I took up smoking at 14 and I still smoke at 26. Those symptoms are common amongst anyone who smokes.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Ahnimus wrote:
    I think the basic fact is that tobacco smoke is bad for humans, period.

Which is worse?

A cig made out of 100% home-grown tobacco (organic, of course)
    -or-
    A modern-day marlboro red?

(I read somewhere that a cig today has over 4,000 chemicals in it? Is that true?)
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497

I collapse into a smoke-induced seizure....no, seriously - my eyes get all read and itchy (which is a bitch because I wear contact lenses), I start coughing, develop an instant headache, nausea, and I get very hoarse. And I sneeze and get a stuffy nose...my tongue doesn't swell up, but my throat feels like it's closing in..So I go outside for some fresh air...and run into a wall of smokers!

Normally, I go out of my way to avoid cigarette smoke - so what I've done is increased my sensitivity to it. Silly me.
    be philanthropic
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    The bad smells in my office are due to bad hygiene and people cooking nasty food in the Microwave.

I mean reheating the 2 day old leftover salmon is not proper office etiquette.

you are correct and my microwave has a sign on it, please do not heat popcorn or fish.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    edited December 2012
    pew! I'm sorry but the OP's post was funny!
    Post edited by iluvcats on
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Nothing worse than the smell of bad office food reheated in the microwave. Even if it's something I would eat for some reason it always grosses me out. And it stinks.
    soap and shampoo are inexpensive, of course they can be expensive (if designer) but I don't want to name any names or job titles, but someone I know came rolling in at noon and should be ashamed of their odor last wk.
    After my initial whiff, I held my breath whenever walking by that person or their office.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    when it stinks at work, I cannot spray anything to freshen it up due to coworkers' allergies.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Nothing worse than the smell of bad office food reheated in the microwave. Even if it's something I would eat for some reason it always grosses me out. And it stinks.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more