smelly people stinking out the office!

Comments

• :D I'm not saying this happens all the time, it doesn't. But when it does happen and your office is stinking ALL day it's pretty bad.

I always wonder about smelly people. Do they know that they smell? Bless.
  • I always wonder about smelly people. Do they know that they smell? Bless.

I don't think they do. My boss has been told a million times by senior management that he needs to improve his personal hygiene, and for a couple of days it gets better, then before you know it he's stinking like shite again!
  • I always wonder about smelly people. Do they know that they smell? Bless.

LOL, I have always thought the same thing...or maybe they think they have a nice scent :confused:

Anyway, I remember once someone asked why I would take a shower everyday :eek: Like I had a skin desease or something...:mad: MF!!

Seriously, I hate when people smell bad, I can't stand it, I have to cover my nose and try to hold my breath.
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
  • I don't think they do. My boss has been told a million times by senior management that he needs to improve his personal hygiene, and for a couple of days it gets better, then before you know it he's stinking like shite again!
    I don't think they do either :o If they knew they smelled that bad, they WOULD do something about it!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I always wonder about smelly people. Do they know that they smell? Bless.
    No, I don't think they do. I worked with a guy 20 years ago (now that shows you what a lasting impression he made) and he would arrive on Monday wearing a shirt he'd then wear for the rest of the week. It was so bad the rest of us nicknamed him Swamp Pig.

I don't think he had any idea, and he was married. I don't think she had any sense of smell either.
  • LOL, I have always thought the same thing...or maybe they think they have a nice scent :confused:

Anyway, I remember once someone asked why I would take a shower everyday :eek: Like I had a skin desease or something...:mad: MF!!

Seriously, I hate when people smell bad, I can't stand it, I have to cover my nose and try to hold my breath.

It doesn't bother me... if people don't want to bathe, that's their business. I just wondered if they knew, if they come from a stinky, unhygienic family or if they just have some sort of problem. :)
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    or... people who simply smell. There was a guy in one morning before I got to work getting first aid on his foot and sitting on my chair. My space stank for the entire day after that :o and I mean I was gagging! It smelled like rotten socks filled with dead animals.

And I know people think it's me every fucking time... there's no air conditioning so if people come in smelling, the smell stays and I'm starting to feel sick now :eek:

That's hilarious! I had a roommate like that. More than once. I gave them such a hard time they left. :)

One thing that I find repulsive is bad personal hygiene. Don't even get me started this roommates girlfriend...
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    gabers wrote:
    That's hilarious! I had a roommate like that. More than once. I gave them such a hard time they left. :)

One thing that I find repulsive is bad personal hygiene. Don't even get me started this roommates girlfriend...

Oh man! I have to know! Was the girlfriend filthy?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• BlancheBlanche Posts: 247
    It smelled like rotten socks filled with dead animals.
    Yuck.

And people make fun of the French. :mad:

Helen, you need this stuff. If you can't burn it, at least keep it near your nose.
  • It's just not on.

Either it's people coming in hungover and stinking the place out with drink...

or... the canteen lady was in for a few minutes and the place stinks of grease...

or... people who simply smell. There was a guy in one morning before I got to work getting first aid on his foot and sitting on my chair. My space stank for the entire day after that :o and I mean I was gagging! It smelled like rotten socks filled with dead animals.

And I know people think it's me every fucking time... there's no air conditioning so if people come in smelling, the smell stays and I'm starting to feel sick now :eek:

I took a flight from Dallas to Denver on Sunday and the dude behind smelled like ass. I'm thinking man, mix in some soap and deodorant now and again. I'm stuck in this flying tube with you for 1-1/2 hours.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • I used to work with this gal that was such a stinky pig. I swear, some days it looked like she literally rolled out of bed and came into the office. Her hair was all crazy and slept-on looking.

When she would go to the restroom, I she never washed her hands.

She would eat Cheetos at her desk and wipe her Cheeto fingers on the side of her chair cushion until it was orange.

Poor thing. I really think she had some self esteem issues.
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    I used to work with this gal that was such a stinky pig. I swear, some days it looked like she literally rolled out of bed and came into the office. Her hair was all crazy and slept-on looking.

She would eat Cheetos at her desk and wipe her Cheeto fingers on the side of her chair cushion until it was orange.

That is just gross.

I would have to avoid her. I avoid my lead's desk 'cause she has nasty old shit all over the place. She's actually supposed to be training me on some things, but I have asked to have her subordinates train me on whatever they can before I have to resort to sitting at her desk. :eek:
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Danimal wrote:
    Oh man! I have to know! Was the girlfriend filthy?

I'll try and be polite. They got busy in our bathroom (on the toilet I realized after seeing the seat busted!) and I must have come in right after. The most unholy of smells eminated from bathroom, and it was not from going to the toilet.
  • I used to work with this gal that was such a stinky pig. I swear, some days it looked like she literally rolled out of bed and came into the office. Her hair was all crazy and slept-on looking.

Ha. Did you all call her "Stinky Cheeto Fingers"?
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    I'm so glad I'm self employed, I don't have to deal with anyone stinking up my work place. I do however have a story about someone stinking up a place I go to. A couple years ago there was this guy who went to my gym and he stunk so bad that literally when I walked in the front door of the place I could tell if he was there or not by how it smelled. I couldn't even go back to the free weight area if he was back there he smelled so bad. People complained and complained till finally management of the gym had to talk to him. I can't honestly figure out how he got so bad, he must of never washed his workout clothes or taken a shower, he still goes to the gym and no longer smells.
  • holtz wrote:
    I'm so glad I'm self employed, I don't have to deal with anyone stinking up my work place. I do however have a story about someone stinking up a place I go to. A couple years ago there was this guy who went to my gym and he stunk so bad that literally when I walked in the front door of the place I could tell if he was there or not by how it smelled. I couldn't even go back to the free weight area if he was back there he smelled so bad. People complained and complained till finally management of the gym had to talk to him. I can't honestly figure out how he got so bad, he must of never washed his workout clothes or taken a shower, he still goes to the gym and no longer smells.

Hmmm.....How would you have liked to be the one to talk to him about smelling? How did that conversation go?
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • I work with three middle aged women in a small office (I'm a guy). We share one unisex bathroom. One of my co-workers takes the nastiest shits in the world. Sometimes I can hear her drop severe ass while she's taking a dump. She sprays the air freshener, but I think it makes it worse. Sometimes I have to go in there and plug my nose. My policy, because of this, is no shitting at the office!
    7/8/95, 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/8/00, 10/21/00, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 6/24/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/20/06, 6/24/06, 6/30/06
  • londonwpr wrote:
    I work with three middle aged women in a small office (I'm a guy). We share one unisex bathroom. One of my co-workers takes the nastiest shits in the world. Sometimes I can hear her drop severe ass while she's taking a dump. She sprays the air freshener, but I think it makes it worse. Sometimes I have to go in there and plug my nose. My policy, because of this, is no shitting at the office!

To quote a comedian that I can't remember who it is but he said about air freshner...."Great, now it smells like someone took a shit in a flower shop."
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • medical doctors yeah they actually don't use deodorant i't sad to say but most of those onion people are of middle east origin, wierd i don't get it why ,my wife say's it's actually a cultural thing to smell your own body funk ....
    I would be introducing them to western culture in that case. Maybe buy them a stick of deoderant to see if they understand....
  • londonwpr wrote:
    I work with three middle aged women in a small office (I'm a guy). We share one unisex bathroom. One of my co-workers takes the nastiest shits in the world. Sometimes I can hear her drop severe ass while she's taking a dump. She sprays the air freshener, but I think it makes it worse. Sometimes I have to go in there and plug my nose. My policy, because of this, is no shitting at the office!
    How often do you get blamed for the nasty dumps? I'd figure any of the women there would try to pass it off on you since you're the guy in the office.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    yuck...doesn't sound like a very professional place. They need to hand out some bars of soap. :D
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    I would be introducing them to western culture in that case. Maybe buy them a stick of deoderant to see if they understand....

hey mark what the f are you up to these days i hope the house is coming along nicely along with all the other plans ,yeah i don't know how well that would go over 'HEY DOC HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THIS AS I HOLD UP A STICK OF DEODORANT " probably not well ......:D
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • hey mark what the f are you up to these days i hope the house is coming along nicely along with all the other plans ,yeah i don't know how well that would go over 'HEY DOC HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THIS AS I HOLD UP A STICK OF DEODORANT " probably not well ......:D
    hahahaha:D that would be hilarious...

I'm doing ok. The house is coming along well. Got a few places left to paint (second coats) then we're done. Everything is moved in and now it's just waiting until the wedding day. I hope you are doing well.

**sorry, don't want to hijack.....back to nasty smells**
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    As an alternative answer to the "poor hygeine, gross disgusting slob" hypothesis, there are always genetic disorders.

Trimethylaminuria (TMAU), also known as fish odor syndrome or fish malodor syndrome[1], is a rare genetic disease that causes a defect in the body's ability to normally produce Flavin containing monooxygenase 3 (FMO3).[2][3]

When FMO3 is compromised, the body loses the ability to properly breakdown trimethylamine. Trimethylamine is consumed through the diet and when not properly broken down, through a process called N-Oxygenation, builds up and is released in the person's sweat, urine and breath, giving off a strong fishy odor.

I'm sure there are others as well.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    The area of Canada I live in has many immigrants from all sorts of countries. My company's HR department is responsible for ensuring folks adhere to professional/business personal grooming habits, and they do a good job of it.

The worst case was about 5 years ago, a fellow from eastern Germany started working here, and not only did they have to inform him that deodorant and daily showering were necessary, but also that in Canada women are considered an equal gender to males.

He didn't last terribly long anyways.

They also don't let you wear a tonne of cologne/perfume. Sometimes perfume or cologne can smell worse than BO.
  • Ahnimus wrote:
    As an alternative answer to the "poor hygeine, gross disgusting slob" hypothesis, there are always genetic disorders.

Trimethylaminuria (TMAU), also known as fish odor syndrome or fish malodor syndrome[1], is a rare genetic disease that causes a defect in the body's ability to normally produce Flavin containing monooxygenase 3 (FMO3).[2][3]

When FMO3 is compromised, the body loses the ability to properly breakdown trimethylamine. Trimethylamine is consumed through the diet and when not properly broken down, through a process called N-Oxygenation, builds up and is released in the person's sweat, urine and breath, giving off a strong fishy odor.

I'm sure there are others as well.

Is there a smelly onion person disorder?
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
    Is there a smelly onion person disorder?

Yes, various UTIs, bacterial vaginosis, bladder infections, etc... stuff you probably don't want to know about or wish you didn't know about.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
    If you search google for "onion odor"

http://www.google.com/search?q=onion+odor&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Half of your results relate to feminine hygeine, vaginal discharge, infection, etc..
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Ahnimus wrote:
    If you search google for "onion odor"

http://www.google.com/search?q=onion+odor&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Half of your results relate to feminine hygeine, vaginal discharge, infection, etc..

Ewwww...feminine odor...how embarrassing! I used "vaginal discharge" as an exuse for being late to work once (I had a male boss). He ran away shouting that he didn't want to hear anymore....after that, he rarely asked me why I was late...

Anyway - one of my co-workers who shared a "work pod" with me is a VERY heavy smoker. I can't stand stale ciggy smoke and I am allergic to it...plus she has the smoker's hack, which puts into the air, the smoke from her lungs... After a year of this, I mentioned to her the other day that I bought a faint air freshener because I found that the ciggy smoke was really bothering me (at our worksite you have to go outside to smoke, and she takes about six smoke breaks per day - in addition to the smokes that has at lunch). I told her that it was still her right to smoke and I wasn't trying to offend her...

Well, she goes crying to the boss about what a bitch I am - and packed up all her stuff and moved to another work pod. She's all, "I'm going and taking my smell with me!"

I dunno...at our work, you can smell bad, but you can't smell good. No heavy deoderants, hair products, perfumes, essential oils, hand creams, etc. It's stupid...

I sure do empathize with all of you, though! Wow!
    be philanthropic
  • Derrick wrote:
    and not only did they have to inform him that deodorant and daily showering were necessary, but also that in Canada women are considered an equal gender to males.
    :eek: hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D

vedderfan10, can you please explain to me what 'being allergic to smoke' is? I never heard of said allergy outside of the US. I can understand not liking the smell or not wanting to be around it BUT do you break out in spots? Does your tongue swell up? What?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you